Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I haven't tried it out yet but I'm a little surprised to hear there's only one splat zone. For some reason I was thinking it would work more like the control point mode in TF2 where you have to capture a series of points until you're pretty much capturing their base

Maybe the Splatoon maps aren't big enough for that kind of thing? I could see it working in the skate park

Splatoon maps are not big enough for that at all, especially with how fast everyone can move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just got my first knockout in ranked :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g79vcg6BIvU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

At the warehouse people sure do get tunnel vision. I usually just go up the other teams ramp and flank them from behind.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Help Im Alive posted:

Maybe the Splatoon maps aren't big enough for that kind of thing? I could see it working in the skate park

The skate park actually does have two splat zones, but they aren't very far apart.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I know a lot of people bitch about inkstrikes in splatzones, but I dont even think its that good.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The new map is the box maze everyone makes on their first time in a map editor...

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hihohe posted:

At the warehouse people sure do get tunnel vision. I usually just go up the other teams ramp and flank them from behind.

Doing this is good. If you get a kill on their ramp then flank one out two of them it's super great.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Rexroom posted:

I had a match in the Rig where the splat zone changed hands constantly. It was so close Judd gave us extra time to give the decider. (Apparently if the timer runs out but you control the zone, the clock keeps ticking - if you control long enough to pass the other team, you win. You can guess what happens if you don't.)

This is suddenly a new game altogether, with intense close quarter combat and maneuvering. And I love it.

One match yesterday went into overtime after we managed to claw back from early losses, and we pulled ahead in points with literally a second left on the clock.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The roller seems so unfairly beast in ranked lol. Get there first, wait for someone to show up *splat* patrol the area. Rinse, repeat. You're only hosed when you notice someone on higher ground and no one is shooting them etc

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hihohe posted:

I've seen one guy with a Splat Charger just completely shut the other team down on Walleye Warehouse because they all kept heading right down that center line into his sights like lambs to slaughter. I just wish he'd been on my team instead of the other :cripes:.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

dragon enthusiast posted:

One match yesterday went into overtime after we managed to claw back from early losses, and we pulled ahead in points with literally a second left on the clock.

Sounds a lot more fun than the 100 to 0 second shutouts I keep joining. :negative:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's wild how many people try to capture the zone in Walleye solely by attacking it from their own side, even though there's a dang wall of boxes blocking off half of it. If you actually bother to claim the territory flanking it, then holy poo poo you can actually shoot at both halves of the zone. What a concept!

Alxprit posted:

Just so you know, people painting seemingly useless parts of the area in Splat Zones are probably just trying to fill up their special meter to launch Inkstrikes or something.

Some areas make more sense for this than others, though. The back area in Saltspray is great to paint if you can get there first, since it's an effective staging area for assaulting the actual splat zone. But the lower-ground node is wayyyy too far out of the way for any sensible player to bother with.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 2, 2015

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Sometimes the ink nukes seem real big and sometimes they seem tiny. It's probably affected by clothing somehow but I'm not exactly sure.

The small ones are pretty lol, the big ones are pretty effective.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Can we all agree to call stages by the actual places they represent (rig, warehouse, skatepark) instead of the dumb fish prefixes (walleye, arowana)?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Lemming posted:

Sometimes the ink nukes seem real big and sometimes they seem tiny. It's probably affected by clothing somehow but I'm not exactly sure.

I think that's tied to "Special Duration" but not certain.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Lemming posted:

I wonder if it's affected by gear that gives specials a duration boost? It's a pretty short attack no matter what, but maybe a few extra split-seconds improve the coverage a bit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sade posted:

Can we all agree to call stages by the actual places they represent (rig, warehouse, skatepark) instead of the dumb fish prefixes (walleye, arowana)?

We do it because we stay fresh :dukedog:.

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

Lemming posted:

Doing this is good. If you get a kill on their ramp then flank one out two of them it's super great.

If the other team is tunneling really hard, go up the ramp, then circle around to the high ground on the other side and ink that area. A lot of people forget (or simply don't know) that that upper section exists, so even if you leave it to go fight somewhere else, it might never get reclaimed. If you stick around up there, there's only one path that can directly attack you and you can catch anyone trying to take cover in the side area or sneak up your ramp. It even has angles on some of the common Charger spots. Also, swimming the full length of the L-shape will completely refill your ink, so you can unload from one balcony, swim to the other, unload from there, repeat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sade posted:

Now that just makes too much sense.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sade posted:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Sade posted:

Sorry squiddo but no can do

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Sorry, haters, I call places by their names.

"Oh, do you want to go eat at Restaurant tonight?" -an idiot

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I know a lot of people bitch about inkstrikes in splatzones, but I dont even think its that good.

It's not fun to have two of the bastards set them off simultaneously covering the whole capture point.

Sade posted:

Unless they release a Vega Stage in japan that gets Called the Bison stage here, not happening.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Does tenacity constantly refill your super meter if a teammate leaves or just one time?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Sade posted:

Look at this totally un-fresh dude.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Spacebump posted:

Does tenacity constantly refill your super meter if a teammate leaves or just one time?

Is it when teammates leave or when somebody is currently dead?

If you get a buff when somebody drops from the game... that's really loving weird design, Nintendo.

So I assume it was when people were dead and they were just avoiding using the word 'dead' since its a kids game about paint.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

I think that at this point, location matchmaking is random, rank matchmaking is random, and team sorting is also random

thanks nintendo.

No if you join a regular lobby with a single friend it will place you on opposite teams 80% of the time.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Guys, guys, I unlocked the Aerospray MG yesterday and oh my god! :swoon:

It's the first time I've switched weapons and haven't wished I was still using the Krak-On roller! That thing is sick. I have been scoring much higher with it than I ever did with the roller. I had three games, three where I was the top scorer in the game. That has never happened to me before! I'm lucky if I can break 600 points. I'm sold. This thing is my jam.

Had a great time in ranked last night, too. Had an amazing come from behind win. The other team was down to only 10 seconds and we were at 90. My whole team rushed the zone and managed to keep the other losers away until we won! That was so amazing! As an aside, it's probably a good thing the game doesn't have voice chat, because I was screaming triumphantly at the TV... I can lose gracefully, but I don't win gracefully. I told the other team to suck my tentacles...

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Guys, guys, I unlocked the Aerospray MG yesterday and oh my god! :swoon:

It's the first time I've switched weapons and haven't wished I was still using the Krak-On roller! That thing is sick. I have been scoring much higher with it than I ever did with the roller. I had three games, three where I was the top scorer in the game. That has never happened to me before! I'm lucky if I can break 600 points. I'm sold. This thing is my jam.

I was also a Krak-On roller devotee until I took a chance on the fancy gold Aerospray RG. My second match with it I scored 1226, a personal best! :D

Then I bought that fancy gold roller I got access to after beating single-player -- I was so excited for an awesome roller that I didn't test it. IT SUCKS. Back to the Aerospray RG!

I even tried my old roller pal again and I just don't enjoy it like I used to.

oopsie rock fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 4, 2015

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Zaphod42 posted:

If you get a buff when somebody drops from the game... that's really loving weird design, Nintendo.

So I assume it was when people were dead and they were just avoiding using the word 'dead' since its a kids game about paint.

It's not specifically when someone drops. But someone dropping has the same end result of alive enemies outnumbering alive teammates so the boost probably happens.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Zaphod42 posted:

"Fills special gauge automatically if your team has fewer active players than the enemy" I think I misinterpreted it and it just slowly adds to your special gauge when a teammate dies.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mackeral Tuna Abalone Squid Blackbelly Bluefin Urchin Walleye
These people are wrong.

Underpass. Warehouse. Rig. Mall. Skaterpark. Port.

Team Description (Cat)

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

I think that at this point, location matchmaking is random, rank matchmaking is random, and team sorting is also random

thanks nintendo.
You do know they did this to keep things like a group of us from just running over 8yos constantly right?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Infinitum posted:

These people are wrong.

Team Description (Cat)

Wow, Literal proof why team cat is a bunch of nerds

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

LethalGeek posted:

You do know they did this to keep things like a group of us from just running over 8yos constantly right?

"This is Timmy. Timmy is frightened of bright colors, and has been trying to make the game work on his Xbox 360 for the last three days. This round, he will be on your team."

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dear Nintendo.

When you change the maps, you don't need to kick the people in a lobby out to announce it. Especially when we get it up to 8 goons.
Just change the maps. It'll be a nice surprise on the next round.

Don't kick us out. Every. Single. Time.

Love
:argh:

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Infinitum posted:

These people are wrong.

Team Description (Cat)

More like just say the whole word: Walleye Warehouse, Saltspray Rig, Bad Map, Blackbelly Skatepark, Urchin Underpass

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The maps are chokepoint, skatepark, one where people gently caress off and don't help, other one where people don't help, etc.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Does anyone think ranked is any good right now? The splat zone maps having basically one splat zone with only random teams right now basically leads to flipping a coin and then one team goes 100 to 0 without losing control.

Its like, hilariously the explicit problem from every other point capturing FPS type game that Splatoon's Turf War implicitly solves and creates a better game from.

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok fine I'll finish world 3 of single player to unlock the Aerospray drat

• Locked thread