Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013

Pucklynn posted:

I've purchased a couple black lights to try and help me find cat pee spots, but even when I shine it on places that I KNOW my cats have peed on, nothing comes up. Is there a special type of black light you need for this?

Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRTIDH74esc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013

Huntersoninski posted:

I use PetPlan and am very pleased with it. It's definitely worth it for a kitten, in my opinion. Petplan covers ongoing issues (but does NOT cover pre-existing issues), so if your cat has health issues as it gets older it'll be covered. It's a huge relief to know that I won't have to pay more than $100 for vet care, even in an emergency, and they also give you money if your pet gets lost to offer as a reward or fund newspaper ads, etc. It's payed for itself in the past two years with my cat Pizza's bladder issues.

I am also with Petplan, I have never claimed (touch wood). My none claim is currently $125, the vet costs $80 to walk in the door. She is covered for tests and big sickness. Just on the emergency vet, my policy doesn't cover for me thinking the issue is an emergency. I am only covered if the vet said it is an emergency and cannot wait until morning. In Australia normal vets are open 7 days and sometime till 10pm at night.

I don't mind Petplan. As I once inquired about getting insurance for a 4-year-old cat i was considering adopting from a pound. They advised me that they would cover the cat from the time i adopt it and any records that the pound had on the cat. If the cat has no known health issues in first 21 days or at the pound they would cover the cat as if it was a kitten. You still might need to fight them for the first payout but just keep all your records and dot all your i's and T's.

The blue bunny fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 1, 2015

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

red state bait posted:

hey cat nerds, is there a good cat traveling reference around here? gotta fly my cat from west to east coast and need some tips and tricks tia

I fly with my cat on a regular basis (2 roundtrips a year). Some suggestions:

• Get a soft-sided carrier that looks like a duffel bag. Make sure that it's airline-approved (mine is a Sherpa bag with Delta branding) and read the reviews. You want one that will be comfy for your cat, but will also stand up to claws in case the cat gets stir crazy and wants out. The ones with both top and side loading are particularly useful.

• When you book your tickets, call and tell them to reserve a pet spot. They limit the number of animals per plane to around 6, although I've never seen that many. You'll be charged extra for the luxury of replacing your under-seat bag with a cat. When you call, ask if the airline requires any paperwork for the cat; some may require proof of vaccination or a clean bill of health. I always take a copy of her vet records anyway, just in case.

• Withhold food/water for 12 hours before the flight. You'll both be very unhappy leading up to it, but it'll prevent accidents. You can also get pee pads for the carrier if that's a concern. Ask your vet what their recommendation is.

• Sedation is generally discouraged when flying because it reduces their respiratory rate. That can be especially dangerous if there's a sudden change in cabin pressure. If the cat is likely to go completely insane, ask your vet for their recommendation; they may prescribe kitty-dosed Valium or Benadryl.

• Prepare yourself to deal with security (the worst part of the trip). Wear a long-sleeved shirt and trim the cat's nails a few days before so they'll be less painful when the panicked cat sinks her claws into your tender flesh.

• Here's how I deal with security: My cat wears a harness (make sure it's a cat harness; they can slip out of dog harnesses) with an ID tag on it. She also has her everyday collar/tag as well, for redundancy. I pick the slowest lane and sometimes let people go past me if they're traveling very light or visibly annoyed. Families usually appreciate when I'm ahead of them since I'm slowing down the lane and not them. Send all of your other baggage down first and keep the cat in the carrier until you're right at the x-ray. I have the leash in a pocket on the carrier and get this out while in line. The TSA folks are used to this and will often help out a bit at this point. Open the carrier and clip the leash onto the harness while the cat is still inside. Mine is scared and won't leave the carrier of her own accord; usually I have to pull her out while someone else holds the bag down. People behind you in line may also offer help here. Apologize profusely throughout. This is also where the top-loading comes in handy. Go through the x-ray (if they're using one of those creepy body scanners, you'll be redirected to a normal xray machine). On the other side, they will need to wand both of your palms while you're still holding the cat. Meanwhile they fast-track the carrier through, and often will carry it down for you to the table at the end of the conveyer belt. Return cat to carrier (usually she's so overwhelmed by the experience she wants to go back in), zip it up most of the way with one hand still in there, unclip the leash and close it the rest of the way. Then, gather everything else after the carrier is set.

• To make security easier, get TSA Precheck clearance. You won't have to unpack your laptop etc and can keep your shoes on, which means you can focus on the cat.

• The cat will probably cry at various times in the trip. People won't realize it's coming from your duffel bag and give you strange looks. I've been asked if I was meowing, if that was my cellphone, etc. When they do notice it's a cat they often want to look at her, especially kids. Don't take the cat out, of course. During the plane ride it's noisy enough that you can't hear it, but it's very noticeable in the security line and waiting areas.

• While waiting, try to find a quieter part of the airport; I bring a shawl and drape it over the carrier to block things out a bit.

• During the flight, if the cat is visibly anxious you can stick your hand in the carrier to comfort it. Or, it might take out some of its displeasure on your hand.

• I carry some food with me in a baggie in case we experience major delays (i.e. stranded overnight). Some people will take the cat out in a single-person bathroom during layovers if it's a long trip. I'd keep the leash on in that situation.

• When you arrive at your destination, be sure to have food, water, and a box ready. Cat may not use any of the above at first if it's still stressed, so give it a little time. Mine always goes for water, then food, then box.

It's actually not that hard, provided you're prepared. TSA agents have told me that some people don't use leashes or harnesses with their cats and that can get ugly really fast (like the cat breaking loose and running through security). Provided you can keep a good grip you'll be ok. If you're really struggling, there's always some cat lover around who wants to help. Sometimes while I'm holding the cat waiting for the carrier to come through, TSA agents will even leave their own posts to come pet the cat (which she is not thrilled about, but I'm not about to tell a TSA agent off). I'm not sure what that says about the quality of the security process, but at least if something goes wrong there's several pairs of eyes and hands at the ready.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Does this work on hard wood?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how do you make cats want to cuddle with you? My girlfriend's mom's cat only likes my girlfriend's mom, even when i feed it and take care of it. So now I just pick it up and pet it and it meows in discontent until I let him go. I would like him to approach me for attention and pets, but I'm wondering if there is a trick to make that happen.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
^^ Ignore the cat utterly, while also having a comfortable, empty lap and possessing some treats. Alternatively, come to my house and cuddle with my dumb cat Ozma, she basically cannot stand to not be the center of attention every second of the day. She loving hates being picked up like a baby but will still knead on your arm and purr like an idiot because hey, you're paying attention to her and rubbing her belly so who needs dignity?

The blue bunny posted:

I am also with Petplan, I have never claimed (touch wood). My none claim is currently $125, the vet costs $80 to walk in the door. She is covered for tests and big sickness. Just on the emergency vet, my policy doesn't cover for me thinking the issue is an emergency. I am only covered if the vet said it is an emergency and cannot wait until morning. In Australia normal vets are open 7 days and sometime till 10pm at night.

I don't mind Petplan. As I once inquired about getting insurance for a 4-year-old cat i was considering adopting from a pound. They advised me that they would cover the cat from the time i adopt it and any records that the pound had on the cat. If the cat has no known health issues in first 21 days or at the pound they would cover the cat as if it was a kitten. You still might need to fight them for the first payout but just keep all your records and dot all your i's and T's.

Yeah they definitely send you through hoops as far as getting allllll the paperwork goes, which I suppose kind of makes sense, especially for PetPlan, which afaik doesn't have a cap on the amount of coverage a pet can have in its lifetime like a lot of other companies do.

But, as extra encouragement to anybody who owns a fairly young pet with no major health issues or accidents on its record yet (pre-existing conditions weren't covered by any insurance I looked at), Pizza's recent vomiting problem resulted in a $650 bill. After submitting my papers I called PetPlan because I wanted to make sure they had everything (because you kind of have to take extra steps sometimes to make it go smoothly). They just called back - Pizza's recent health issues were determined to be possibly caused by a bladder infection (which my vet wrote down on the form as the "diagnosis). Because of the fact that this was related to a previously covered issue, we don't even have to pay the deductible for this bill! Which is fantastic because they ran a LOT more tests than usual and it's goddamned wedding and birthday season.

I don't know if it's worth it for older pets or those who already have chronic issues but covering this bill alone PetPlan has payed for itself for this year.

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 1, 2015

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

how do you make cats want to cuddle with you? My girlfriend's mom's cat only likes my girlfriend's mom, even when i feed it and take care of it. So now I just pick it up and pet it and it meows in discontent until I let him go. I would like him to approach me for attention and pets, but I'm wondering if there is a trick to make that happen.

my cat refuses to let anyone pick her up but she okay with being petted. she will only sit on my lap when it is cold and runs in fear from everyone.
the closest it will get is sleeping by my feet at night.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Gorgar posted:

So you took her in? Cool. Striking, pretty, odd-looking and really wants to be your cat. Also poses in front of mirrors. Congratulations on getting a good weird cat.

On a tentative basis at least, assuming she's not too stressed by our cats and ours can handle her. We've had several accidental introductions because this cat is great but man she does not like being cooped up even in a spacious spare bedroom, and has gotten out when opening the door to go in and pay attention to her.

2/4 cats couldn't care less
1 cat is obsessed with sniffing her butt
1 cat already hates her ( but also hates every other cat ) :catstare:

Accordingly, she:

Ignores 2/4 cats
Hisses at butt-sniffer when he spends too long sniffing said butt
Slinks away from Angry Cat

The catch is going to be the unsupervised times over the next few weeks, particularly at the choke points - stairs, doorways.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

JohnnyCanuck posted:

How long should you leave uneaten wet food out before you toss it and serve up fresh stuff?

Depends on your cats. I tend to go with set meal times but if my boy comes looking I'll cave in quicker because he mostly eats dry - if he wants fresh wet then ok, exception. My girl cat will eat days old crud that's been put to one side for the birds and is all crusty - she can wait for the next meal time because I know she'll eat whatever if she's actually hungry.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
Update: kitties still don't seem to be eating. I spoke to their foster humans (who I happen to be friends with), who came over and had a play with them. While I went out to buy cat treats, apparently the kitties came out from under my bed and poked around my apartment a bit, and got a bit of a cuddle. So it looks like they're not stressed out about the environment, they're stressed out about me being there.

I work from home, so I'm in the apartment all the time. My friends have talked me into going out for a few hours tomorrow, to give the cats the run of the place. Hopefully they'll eat something, and they'll find the other hiding places in my house, so they don't have to huddle under my bed. If they can figure out that they can hide under my couch or next to my washing machine, outside my bedroom, then when I go to bed at night and shut the door they can eat and have the run of the place. Maybe they've been too scared to come out and explore with me in the bed above them.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Is this the site for PetPlan you people are talking about?

http://www.gopetplan.com/

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Drythe posted:

Is this the site for PetPlan you people are talking about?

http://www.gopetplan.com/

Yeah, that's the one. I've also heard great things about healthy paws insurance recently, I might have chosen them if they'd turned up in my searches back when I was shopping.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Cat health question here:

Female cat, 8 years old. Displaying signs of a urinary tract problem. Started noticing her urinating outside the litter box and frequently straining in the litter box. Urine is produced, but not large amounts. I know that "better safe than sorry" is the usual rule with cats and peeing, but she really really does not like the vet. Like, any exam requires an assistant and heavy leather gloves. Should I wait to see if this clears up or just deal with the ball of fury ASAP?

Her mood and personality are not changed, i.e. she is not acting ill or in distress. Just frequent trips to the litter box (and then the corner, and then another corner) with very small amounts of urine produced.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Huntersoninski posted:

Yeah, that's the one. I've also heard great things about healthy paws insurance recently, I might have chosen them if they'd turned up in my searches back when I was shopping.

Hmmm..Is a higher monthly premium worth having an annual deductible instead? Do cats get sick enough to make that worth it?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drythe posted:

Hmmm..Is a higher monthly premium worth having an annual deductible instead? Do cats get sick enough to make that worth it?

Yes. Yes they do.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Stultus Maximus posted:

Cat health question here:

Female cat, 8 years old. Displaying signs of a urinary tract problem. Started noticing her urinating outside the litter box and frequently straining in the litter box. Urine is produced, but not large amounts. I know that "better safe than sorry" is the usual rule with cats and peeing, but she really really does not like the vet. Like, any exam requires an assistant and heavy leather gloves. Should I wait to see if this clears up or just deal with the ball of fury ASAP?

Her mood and personality are not changed, i.e. she is not acting ill or in distress. Just frequent trips to the litter box (and then the corner, and then another corner) with very small amounts of urine produced.

Bring your cat into the vet ASAP.

Vets deal with problem cats all the time, just warn them in advance for good measure - don't sacrifice your cats health and well-being because you're worried about bringing it to the vet.

It's probably bladder or kidney stones, but they'll have to do an Xray to confirm and that means they'll be sedating your cat regardless.

If it's kidney stones there's not much to do except try to load the cat up on fluids ( typically this means getting them to do sub-cue fluids every few days ) and wait for them to get outta there, and give your cat painkillers ( metacam or something ).

If it's bladder stones it's much the same, but if they don't pass then surgery is the next available option.

If it's either, the next step is long term maintenance by only feeding your cat "S/O Index" food - food formulated specifically to prevent crystal build up in your cats kidneys/bladder. In my experience with 3 cats all having stones it is a chronic issues and tends to happen more often the older the get after it first appearing. Keep it in check now before your cat suffers and you suffer several thousand dollar bills for surgeries.

Either way, it's rarely something that "just goes away", what's next is bloody pee, an actual UTI ( adding further complications, antibiotics, more $$'s ), and/or bigger problems for you and your cat. Just bring it in.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 2, 2015

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

On the subject of (extremely) sick cats: one of our cats (the same one I posted about a couple of weeks back, who has bronchopulmonary dysplasia) went back to the vet today, and new X-rays reveal there's a large mass in his lung, one that wasn't visible at all two weeks ago. There's not really much we can do for him besides pain management, and I imagine we'll probably be euthanizing him within the week, before he has to suffer much longer. His quality of life is already low -- he's breathing hard, not really eating, and mostly hiding. It's not really a surprise at this point that his health issues are end-of-life, even if it's still hard to deal with it.

I apologize if this is a crazy cat lady question, but does anyone know a decent way to keep a nervous, timid cat happy and comfortable on a final vet journey like this? Luke is incredibly timid, and while I could bear taking him to the vet otherwise, I'm not sure I can deal with the thought of dragging him out of a hiding place, into the carrier, and into the car just so he can die in an environment he clearly fears. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like our vet offers house-call euthanasia. Is there anything we can do? Obviously, we'll be there to comfort him when it actually happens, but I worry that's not going to be enough, and I really can't bear the thought of his dying terrified.

Sostratos
Jun 28, 2004
I adopted a couple of kittens back in April, both sisters from the same litter. Last week I took them both in to get their second round of vaccinations, both of them at 14 weeks of age. One of them had a horrible reaction to the vaccines and I had to rush her back to the vet because her eyes were swelling shut and she couldn't stop vomiting. The vets gave her steroids, subcutaneous fluids and she recovered by that afternoon.

This may or may not be relevant to my current concern: the little one who had the reaction has begun chewing the end of her tail. I just noticed yesterday that it looks like the fur at her tail's tip had been crudely clipped with scissors, and I've seen her gnaw on it until it was completely soaked with saliva at the tip. Could it be that her adult teeth are coming in and making her mouth sore? Her appetite and activity levels are still as strong as ever, but I'm worried that something might be going on with her teeth. I might just take her back to the vet, but any input would be appreciated.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Antivehicular posted:

On the subject of (extremely) sick cats: one of our cats (the same one I posted about a couple of weeks back, who has bronchopulmonary dysplasia) went back to the vet today, and new X-rays reveal there's a large mass in his lung, one that wasn't visible at all two weeks ago. There's not really much we can do for him besides pain management, and I imagine we'll probably be euthanizing him within the week, before he has to suffer much longer. His quality of life is already low -- he's breathing hard, not really eating, and mostly hiding. It's not really a surprise at this point that his health issues are end-of-life, even if it's still hard to deal with it.

I apologize if this is a crazy cat lady question, but does anyone know a decent way to keep a nervous, timid cat happy and comfortable on a final vet journey like this? Luke is incredibly timid, and while I could bear taking him to the vet otherwise, I'm not sure I can deal with the thought of dragging him out of a hiding place, into the carrier, and into the car just so he can die in an environment he clearly fears. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like our vet offers house-call euthanasia. Is there anything we can do? Obviously, we'll be there to comfort him when it actually happens, but I worry that's not going to be enough, and I really can't bear the thought of his dying terrified.

Can you afford the services of a vet that comes to your home for euthanasia? I know a couple vets in my area do - if your vet doesn't offer that service they could maybe send a referral to another vet in town who does.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Antivehicular posted:

It's a lovely situation but honestly I don't think there's a whole lot you can do. You could ask your vet if they will give you some kitty morphine in advance that you can administer to your cat yourself beforehand to sedate him and make the process slightly less horrible ( plus he'll be high, so that's a pretty good way to go to the doctor ) . No matter what you do, the WORST thing you can do ( IMO ) is make the cat suffer longer than it needs to just to make yourself feel better.

[edit] Or try to find another vet with in-home service. Either way - if your cat is that timid, pre-sedation is probably going to be the least horrible route because if your cat is that timid, a stranger coming in is probably going to send it into hiding anyway.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TollTheHounds posted:

Bring your cat into the vet ASAP.

Vets deal with problem cats all the time, just warn them in advance for good measure - don't sacrifice your cats health and well-being because you're worried about bringing it to the vet.

It's probably bladder or kidney stones, but they'll have to do an Xray to confirm and that means they'll be sedating your cat regardless.

If it's kidney stones there's not much to do except try to load the cat up on fluids ( typically this means getting them to do sub-cue fluids every few days ) and wait for them to get outta there, and give your cat painkillers ( metacam or something ).

If it's bladder stones it's much the same, but if they don't pass then surgery is the next available option.

If it's either, the next step is long term maintenance by only feeding your cat "S/O Index" food - food formulated specifically to prevent crystal build up in your cats kidneys/bladder. In my experience with 3 cats all having stones it is a chronic issues and tends to happen more often the older the get after it first appearing. Keep it in check now before your cat suffers and you suffer several thousand dollar bills for surgeries.

Either way, it's rarely something that "just goes away", what's next is bloody pee, an actual UTI ( adding further complications, antibiotics, more $$'s ), and/or bigger problems for you and your cat. Just bring it in.

Oh, I wasn't worried about the vet, more about the stress on the cat. She's had urinary tract problems a few times in the past. Twice it cleared up in a couple days, before I could even get her in. This time it seems to be worse than those two.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Huntersoninski posted:

Can you afford the services of a vet that comes to your home for euthanasia? I know a couple vets in my area do - if your vet doesn't offer that service they could maybe send a referral to another vet in town who does.

Yeah, I'll call them and see if they can do any referrals for in-home. Barring that, TolltheHounds's pre-sedation seems like it'd help a lot. Thanks.

EDIT: And for the record, no, I don't plan to put this off any longer than I have to. I'm going to talk to my boyfriend about the situation tonight and see what he wants to do/if he wants to take a half-day off work to be there, but after that I figure we'll make plans ASAP, because the last thing I want is to dither over it and let Luke suffer.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 2, 2015

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Healthy Paws doesn't cover vet exam fees, what do those usually cost?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Drythe posted:

That's the problem with insurance, it's a big maybe. Some cats never get sick, some can be totally fine except that one time they ate a whole ball of yarn and it took $1600 at the emergency vet to get it out, some wind up with chronic issues that cost an extra hundred bucks every couple months. You just kind of have to weigh the pros and cons of each plan and how much you can afford. In the case of huge emergencies, any amount of help is a blessing. I only know a few basic things about healthy paws, I've just heard super things about their customer service (though i haven't really had any real issue with petplan personally)

EDIT:

Drythe posted:

Healthy Paws doesn't cover vet exam fees, what do those usually cost?

No pet insurance that I've seen covers normal vet checkups and annual vaccinations, because those are things pet owners should be prepared for. They cover poo poo nobody could be prepared for, like injuries or illnesses. As for the cost of checkups, that depends on your city. In mine, it's about $100 per pet for annual shots/checkup assuming nothing is wrong. However, if I drive for 30 minutes to the next (smaller) town over, it's about $50 per pet. Your best answer is to just call around to vets in your area.

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 2, 2015

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Stultus Maximus posted:

Oh, I wasn't worried about the vet, more about the stress on the cat. She's had urinary tract problems a few times in the past. Twice it cleared up in a couple days, before I could even get her in. This time it seems to be worse than those two.

Either way, your cat should go in to get an official diagnosis by a vet. It sounds chronic to me so I'd be surprised if a vet hasn't already asked you to switch it to an S/O Index food ( maybe you already have? ).

Maybe this one will clear up on it's own too, maybe it won't - but either way, just bring your cat in. Cats can't "tough out" chronic issues - it's just going to keep getting worse and worse. Imagine having to regularly pass kidney stones without some sort of painkiller, and your only food source is causing the issue and you don't ever switch things out? It would be torture.

Bring your cat in.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Huntersoninski posted:

No pet insurance that I've seen covers normal vet checkups and annual vaccinations, because those are things pet owners should be prepared for. They cover poo poo nobody could be prepared for, like injuries or illnesses. As for the cost of checkups, that depends on your city. In mine, it's about $100 per pet for annual shots/checkup assuming nothing is wrong. However, if I drive for 30 minutes to the next (smaller) town over, it's about $50 per pet. Your best answer is to just call around to vets in your area.

PetPlan covers "The actual cost of any exam conducted by a licensed veterinarian to treat or diagnose an ill or injured pet. " whatever that means

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Drythe posted:

PetPlan covers "The actual cost of any exam conducted by a licensed veterinarian to treat or diagnose an ill or injured pet. " whatever that means

Same thing. If you're taking your animal to the vet because you think it's sick or injured, it'll pay for the exam (with the aim of diagnosing and treating the illness/injury). If you're just taking the pet in for its usual annual checkup and to get its vaccines done, it won't pay for that.

E: I think if you go in for a normal exam and an illness is discovered, it'll pay for that? I think. But I've never had that happen (thank goodness)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Huntersoninski posted:

That's the problem with insurance, it's a big maybe. Some cats never get sick, some can be totally fine except that one time they ate a whole ball of yarn and it took $1600 at the emergency vet to get it out, some wind up with chronic issues that cost an extra hundred bucks every couple months. You just kind of have to weigh the pros and cons of each plan and how much you can afford. In the case of huge emergencies, any amount of help is a blessing. I only know a few basic things about healthy paws, I've just heard super things about their customer service (though i haven't really had any real issue with petplan personally)

EDIT:

http://www.petinsurance.com/

I get them thru work so I get a discount+payroll deduction but you can pick options that will have you plan set to cover anything. form catastrophic only to full on Cadillac with heart-worm/flea/dental/wellness covered at 100% reimbursement.

http://www.petinsurance.com/compare-vpi/pet-insurance-comparison.aspx

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

toplitzin posted:

http://www.petinsurance.com/

I get them thru work so I get a discount+payroll deduction but you can pick options that will have you plan set to cover anything. form catastrophic only to full on Cadillac with heart-worm/flea/dental/wellness covered at 100% reimbursement.

http://www.petinsurance.com/compare-vpi/pet-insurance-comparison.aspx

Wow, nice! I feel like it'd depend on how much standard vet visits with vaccinations cost in your area to make that kind of coverage even worth it. Like, I personally spend $100 a year total for both my cats to be up-to-date on vaccines, and according to my quote on that site, having this company cover that would be $14 per month (on top of the cost of the accident/illness coverage), so for me personally, that's not really a sound idea, but to someone else in a different situation (like for instance someone getting a discount through work which sounds pretty sweet!) might benefit.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Stultus Maximus posted:

The most common cause of these signs is actually a condition called feline lower urinary tract disease (FLUTD, also known as interstitial cystitis and many other names). Stones in the urogenital tract, although always possible, is definitely not the most common. Episodes of FLUTD are commonly brought on by stress and are self-resolving. The only thing that would be beneficial is that the condition is quite painful, and it can be nice for her to see a vet so she can get pain meds until it gets better.

If it is recurrent (which is sounds like it is), further diagnostics (e.g. x-rays, ultrasound, urinalysis, urine culture) are always useful to rule out other causes of lower urinary tract disease like a UTI or a stone.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Huntersoninski posted:

Wow, nice! I feel like it'd depend on how much standard vet visits with vaccinations cost in your area to make that kind of coverage even worth it. Like, I personally spend $100 a year total for both my cats to be up-to-date on vaccines, and according to my quote on that site, having this company cover that would be $14 per month (on top of the cost of the accident/illness coverage), so for me personally, that's not really a sound idea, but to someone else in a different situation (like for instance someone getting a discount through work which sounds pretty sweet!) might benefit.

FWIW: one dog @ premiere level (Spay or Dental, I went dental)+comp, and 2 cats at general wellness (no dental)+comp is hitting me for $100/mo with a $250 deduct and then 100% reimbursement. The vet wants 700+ for the dog to have a periodontal cleaning. the wellness stuff is 0 deductible for flea meds and such as well. Hello frontline for everybody! Walks for the cats now!

Edit: here's the basic coverage i have for the dog, add $3 for the dental version.

edit edit: the cats are about $2 cheaper each.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 2, 2015

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Got a new kitten like a week ago, already there are kitten piles with our two adult cats. I feel like the luckiest cat dad.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I'm torn between Pet Plan and Healthy Paws. They both have a ton of advocates.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

demota posted:

I'm torn between Pet Plan and Healthy Paws. They both have a ton of advocates.

Did you get a quote from each? Which is the most affordable for your needs?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
My cat was just diagnosed with diabetes yesterday. He needs daily insulin injections, some oral medicine for an infection, and they want us to transition him to wet food. He licks it a lot, and I'm not sure how much actually goes in his stomach. I guess taking it out of the can and arranging it into chunks kind of helps.

We took the lazy route of just leaving a bowl of food out all day for most of his life. Still, he developed a weird habit of bugging people to follow him downstairs to his bowl even if it was full. I'm not sure how that'll factor into mealtimes. Another cat still eats dry food. He was pretty turned off by it when he got sick, but he went right for it after his visit to the vet after getting some medication.

Plus, he was peeing a lot and got used to peeing in one corner by the front door. So now I have to get him back to using his litter box in the basement before my dad, who has been freaking out over the accidents and has a short fuse in general, gets home from his business trip this afternoon and hope he doesn't have another accident. Putting a litter box anywhere other than the corner by the furnace isn't an option.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 3, 2015

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Update: I went with PetPlan since they cover exam costs, which if I ever had to bring the pet in more than once, would make it better than Healthy Paws even with them having an annual deductible. Also PetPlan has a lower premium.

Also accidents get covered after 1 day, which on Healthy Paws is 14. Small difference but who knows what could happen.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Kitten's coming in Saturday or Sunday. Any idea how to tell when a kitten is ready to leave a room and start exploring the house? I figured I'd just give her my room for a few days, but I'm not sure when it's okay to go "Yeah, you're free to check out the whole place."

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

demota posted:

Kitten's coming in Saturday or Sunday. Any idea how to tell when a kitten is ready to leave a room and start exploring the house? I figured I'd just give her my room for a few days, but I'm not sure when it's okay to go "Yeah, you're free to check out the whole place."

When I got my kitten, we just let him explore the room that contained his litter, food and water, our small "office" room. He quickly got around the whole room, was very comfortable running free within a half hour. He passed out and fell asleep before he met the rest of the house, but I'm sure he would have wanted to. For about a week or so we kept him out of the bedroom altogether, and for about 3 months we would "put him to bed" at night by sealing him up in the office with his food, water, and litter, and some toys, and a bed. Frankly, unless the kitten is just terrified of everything, just let the animal tell you. Just keep a watchful eye, and encourage exploration.

If everything goes well, within a week you guys will be hanging out together wherever you are in the house.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Turtlicious posted:

To get back to this: when I first moved in with cats I'd sometimes pick them up and cuddle them. If you do this too often they'll stop trusting you and never want to be near you until a while after you stop doing that i.e. a few months! The only way to do it is never ever be threatening, always be friendly and nice, never pick them up, and I found a couple of extra tricks: on the couch, put a blanket on your legs and they're way more likely to cuddle. Another of our cats loves to say hi once I get home, get into bed under the covers lying down totally, then call him. he's happy to stand on my chest, purr, get pets and even 10 second cuddles. He doesn't do that if I'm sitting up in bed and rarely does it when I'm on the couch. Also if they're on the ground and you approach them they might run away, but if you have a cat tower and they're in it at head height to you, they're more likely to stay put so you can say hi, give them pets, etc.

Also some cats hate being touched in some areas, like our two adult cats hate being touched on the head. And don't surprise cats. Let them see you coming, and let them see your hand slowly moving towards them to scritch them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

demota posted:

We kept our kitten in the bedroom for ~7 days because we got her home late Sunday night and didn't have a chance to kitty proof the living room/kitchen before the next weekend, but if we had she would have been allowed to explore on day 1. We were prepared for her to hide and stay in her little cardboard box for a day or two, going by what we read about new pets acclimating, but she popped herself out of that little cat carried and strutted around the bedroom as if she was thinking "this is mine, that's mine, those are mine, I'm in charge, this is all mine and I'm the boss".

Tl;Dr depends on the kitty, but if they seem like they are getting used to you/you're place and you're kitty proofed, do it up.