Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Classtoise posted:

Well, it basically restores them to life.

We've only ever seen it used by one ghost, and she had her own, separate corporeal body.

It's just as likely to be an issue as to not be one!

Aranea's corporeal body was as thoroughly obliterated as it is possible for something to be obliterated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
There are still probably a trillion Alt-Araneas.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh. So Yaldabaoth and Echidna had a pair of choices. One for Caliborn, and the other for Calliope.

It makes me wonder if that's how Denizen choices work in general - your choice is the counterpart to another choice made by an alternate you and both of them work together.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

paranoid randroid posted:

I doubt that. Hussie hasn't completely removed a major character from the story yet

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I hope Roxy offers the ring of life to Calliope only be be like "yoink!" at the last second and instead offer it to the undoubtedly superior character, Aranea.

The most correct opinion ever posted in this thread.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Felt-suit Dave and Terminally Terezi'd John are not "major characters"

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Neither is Aranea, really. Her loving up Game Over is the thing that made her major - she did that, and now she's spent. I think she may well be gone for good. Even though there might be a bunch more alternate Araneas, the comic hasn't done much with the alternate ghosts (with very rare exceptions) and in fact deliberately downplays them most of the time, probably because the implications are so overwhelming.

Hell, we traded out more than half the cast for dopplegangers thanks to John's rewrites and even in-story everyone's like "just don't think about it too hard, it'll drive you insane." Like Rick & Morty insane.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
So who rigged the game to be only beatable by Caliborn?

...can't be Lord English, right? Unless Calliope being pushed into making that deal with Echidna and whatever she's going off to do now somehow works into his plan.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Zoe posted:

So who rigged the game to be only beatable by Caliborn?

...can't be Lord English, right? Unless Calliope being pushed into making that deal with Echidna and whatever she's going off to do now somehow works into his plan.

It almost certainly does. What seems like an escape or a rebellion is just another piece of his carefully laid plan.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

life_source posted:

I WAS.

SO STOKED.

ABOUT CALLIOPE FADING OFF INTO NOTHINGNESS.

INTO OBLIVION.

INTO THE USELESSNESS THAT SHE ALL ENCOMPASSES.

AND THEN ONE OF THE BEST CHARACTERS SHOWS UP.

TO CHEER HER UP. AND MAKE ME MOMENTARILY FORGET HOW MUCH I HATE HER.

AND NOW I AM CONFUSED.

Best Avatar-Post combo yet.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Dolash posted:

Neither is Aranea, really. Her loving up Game Over is the thing that made her major - she did that, and now she's spent. I think she may well be gone for good. Even though there might be a bunch more alternate Araneas, the comic hasn't done much with the alternate ghosts (with very rare exceptions) and in fact deliberately downplays them most of the time, probably because the implications are so overwhelming.

Hell, we traded out more than half the cast for dopplegangers thanks to John's rewrites and even in-story everyone's like "just don't think about it too hard, it'll drive you insane." Like Rick & Morty insane.

I wouldnt say the cast has been replaced. They're not beta-timeline dupes. These are functionally the same people as the people in act 5, but circumstances were forked away from Game Over.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

They most definitely have been replaced, and the main evidence of that is that the ghosts of the "original" versions of the characters are in the dream bubbles. As every surviving player (except for Dirk) escaped on LOWAS with John, that means the previous cast of the comic actually exists and have just lost their title of "relevant" to these alternate-timeline versions. Heck, previous-timeline Rose even comes back from the dead and makes a point of her distinctiveness from Rose-Prime and newfound irrelevance.

It's a different mechanism than Time Travel -> Beta Timeline, but the "fork" action is effectively the same, except that it has the power to change the events of the alpha timeline. It can even create stable time loops.

Edit: One of the only real differences in how retcons seem to work over time travel is that in time travel, if the traveler actually changed the past, it was a preordained part of the Alpha and they're doomed. With retcons, the traveler is altering the timeline's destiny and it's the traveler's native-timeline version of themselves that's doomed.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 2, 2015

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I was surfing tumblr and... I am so mad about this:

...how in the gently caress!?!

There's two possibilities here, both equally infuriating:

1) This is a complete coincidence, in which case it's a incredibly weird one
2) Andrew Hussie somehow planned this from the beginning, for no reason

:argh:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cant both those cases be true? :v:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Bobulus posted:

John, Rose, Dave and Jade were named by readers the days they were formally introduced in the comic. According to an ask session he did, Jane, Roxy, Dirk and Jake's names were chosen around the time we saw them as babies in Act 4. It's possible that the first four were entirely by coincidence, but when Hussie saw the pattern manifest, he deliberately chose to see it through. It would explain why Jake/Jadesprite's text didn't follow the pattern of being a lighter version of the corresponding player's color.

I seem to recall some one pointing out that the hex codes for the trolls text colors are all precise intervals from each other, with the exceptions of Karkat (whose true color, I reckon, would occupy the slot between Feferi and Aradia) and Vriska, who had an 8 thrown in there because Vriska (Vriska). If that's true, then it fits Hussie's MO to do something like that.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Plom Bar posted:

John, Rose, Dave and Jade were named by readers the days they were formally introduced in the comic. According to an ask session he did, Jane, Roxy, Dirk and Jake's names were chosen around the time we saw them as babies in Act 4. It's possible that the first four were entirely by coincidence, but when Hussie saw the pattern manifest, he deliberately chose to see it through. It would explain why Jake/Jadesprite's text didn't follow the pattern of being a lighter version of the corresponding player's color.

I seem to recall some one pointing out that the hex codes for the trolls text colors are all precise intervals from each other, with the exceptions of Karkat (whose true color, I reckon, would occupy the slot between Feferi and Aradia) and Vriska, who had an 8 thrown in there because Vriska (Vriska). If that's true, then it fits Hussie's MO to do something like that.

I think it'd be near impossible to read text even lighter than Jade's.

Also I'm pretty sure there's the lime-green mentioned a few times (genocided) that would fit roughly between Sollux and Nepta (ie. where Karkat is), I think, if I'm remembering right.

I think a few of the Troll's text and blood colours don't actually match up perfectly as well.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Dolash posted:

It seems like Calliope is getting a pass to go ahead and live her fantasy life with her friends while Alternate Calliope goes to take out the trash and deal with her brother, but I wouldn't be surprised if Calliope manages to transcend her limitations and contribute somehow - not that Homestuck has a great track record of people transcending flaws, just that showing that friendship and empathy aren't weaknesses is a classic move.
If passive classes are meant to be support classes that help other players perform their roles more effectively, and Muse is the most passive class of all, she'll probably end up achieving quite a bit indirectly (perhaps just through friendship and empathy, and maybe some theorycrafting) while still doing very little directly (and continuing to drive people who dislike her round the bend).

Or as John would put it, she is not their leader, she is their FRIEND, there is a BIG difference.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 2, 2015

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Bobulus posted:

The alpha kids' colors were decided way before they actually showed up in the story. Check the sequence where Jade is running through her house, each floor is lit up with one of the Alpha's colors. I'd lean towards it being planned from early on.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Plom Bar posted:

Mazerunner posted:

I think a few of the Troll's text and blood colours don't actually match up perfectly as well.

For the most part it's even intervals of 30 hue points. Aradia and Karkat being 0, Tavros being 30, Sollux being 60, etc, all the way up to Feferi being 330. They also mostly have the same brightness levels, and all of them have 100 saturation.
There are some exceptions, in the greens. Lime blood is 73, Nepeta is 82. (she would be 90 in this pattern) It actually skips 120 and goes straight to Kanaya, who picks the pattern back up at 150.

Typing colors that don't match are Tavros and Rufioh, Kanaya and Porrim, though both of these instances are so goddamn miniscule I'm wondering how people even noticed it, Vriska/Mindfang, who type much more teal than their blood, Equius/Horuss, Gamzee/Kurloz, Feferi/Meenah, who all type darker.

So really, the blood colors really only have a pattern insofar as to hue (which has story importance), being darkish, and being visually distinct from one another.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Paul.Power posted:

If passive classes are meant to be support classes that help other players perform their roles more effectively, and Muse is the most passive class of all, she'll probably end up achieving quite a bit indirectly (perhaps just through friendship and empathy, and maybe some theorycrafting) while still doing very little directly (and continuing to drive people who dislike her round the bend).

Or as John would put it, she is not their leader, she is their FRIEND, there is a BIG difference.

Yeah, I doubt she'll punch anyone, although I could see her using herself as bait or sacrificing herself to save her friends at some point. She's the only thing in the multiverse (besides her alternate self) her brother hates above all else, and Caliborn and Lord English would probably drop whatever they're doing to go after her if they knew she was alive.

Now there's a point, actually - Lord English thinks he's hunting the ghost of Calliope, but the Calliope he's after is alive again. The one that's still in the dream bubbles looks a lot stronger and more decisive, so I wonder if there's going to be a Lord English vs. Alternate Calliope battle? Or a Caliborn vs. Original Calliope battle/encounter?

But yeah, probably just supporting, inspiration and friendship. It's a good thing Vriska's gone or else it'd probably kick off some drama in the group if she loudly called Calliope the most useless sad-sack of all.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

...but the colours don't make a rainbow? Roy G. Biv? There's no yellow in the kids, nor is there pink in a rainbow.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bobulus posted:

Pretty sure Jake's colour is yellower than Jade's. Looks is from here, anyway.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

kvx687 posted:

The alpha kids' colors were decided way before they actually showed up in the story. Check the sequence where Jade is running through her house, each floor is lit up with one of the Alpha's colors. I'd lean towards it being planned from early on.

Also the sprite colors.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Can you imagine how sad it must be? To expect to finally find a greater purpose for yourself, only to find out that that purpose was being the equivalent of an alarm clock for another, better version of yourself?

Poor Callie.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Samovar posted:

...but the colours don't make a rainbow? Roy G. Biv? There's no yellow in the kids, nor is there pink in a rainbow.

No, but they're in the same order they are on the color spectrum.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Speaking of Aranea, don't forget this:

Aranea Serket posted:

ARANEA: In a tongue only his player could understand, he descri8ed what the path of the martyr entailed.
ARANEA: In short, it involved nothing.
ARANEA: The player chooses to walk away from the tempt8tion of power. To surrender all am8ition, and to welcome death.
ARANEA: In exchange for this pledge comes a promise. The player's sacrifice is assured to 8enefit all who will ever live.
ARANEA: In death, the player would later 8e in the position to help 8ring an end to a force of unfathoma8le evil and destruction.
ARANEA: A force which was unleashed, for instance, 8y someone who once opted for the other choice.

Seems a lot like this upd8.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

paranoid randroid posted:

She's always in good company

incidentally i love that "creepy aradia face" is an autocomplete option in google

tru fax, I'm waiting for a last minute swerve on Aradia's part. I don't know what it will be, be she's up to something!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I think that if there's something Aradia can do to help defeat LE that carries absolutely no risk of her dying, she'd be happy to do it. There's probably not though.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
I never said it's be anything helpful, beyond ensuring her continued not-dying.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Bobulus posted:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Cthulhuchan posted:

I never said it's be anything helpful, beyond ensuring her continued not-dying.

I think it'd be neat if she ends up betraying the others and working for Lord English/Caliborn. Just because she's happy now doesn't necessarily mean she's not a fatalist, there's the Handmaid/Damara parallel, and she seemed to treat time travel as some kind of service to an inescapable master - appropriate for a Maid serving a Lord. It might also mean a time travel fight between her and Dave and that'd be really cool.

Not really much of a foundation to base this on, I just think it'd be neat.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

As plot lines begin to converge, I'm getting that satisfying feeling you get at the end of a good caper movie: all the stuff that was thrown away earliery suddenly reveals itself as essential. Granted, there's no way that Hussie is going to carry forward everything that the readers have designated a plot thread, but it's amazing how much he is picking up already. I have stopped worrying and learned to love Hussie Homestuck plot resolution.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Arsenic Lupin posted:

As plot lines begin to converge, I'm getting that satisfying feeling you get at the end of a good caper movie: all the stuff that was thrown away earliery suddenly reveals itself as essential. Granted, there's no way that Hussie is going to carry forward everything that the readers have designated a plot thread, but it's amazing how much he is picking up already. I have stopped worrying and learned to love Hussie Homestuck plot resolution.

Any day now Dennis is gonna finally reappear with his broken thumb, and the final piece will be placed in the grand jigsaw puzzle that is Homestuck

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Did Alternate Calliope leave Jade hanging? That is NOT cool, Callie.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Rooreelooo posted:

Any day now Dennis is gonna finally reappear with his broken thumb, and the final piece will be placed in the grand jigsaw puzzle that is Homestuck

Dennis was so wasted, ha ha drat

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Jesus I had to google search for that one, that's hella obscure.

vvv e: I -did- find it with google search btw, but your link should help people who don't wanna bother. vvv

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 2, 2015

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

EDIT: HERE IS THE PANEL IN QUESTION

That fake article wherein the reviewer doesn't even play the game and rambles about what his friends are doing is only slightly more ridiculous than what passes for publishable these days.

Plom Bar fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 2, 2015

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Blackheart posted:

vvv e: I -did- find it with google search btw, but your link should help people who don't wanna bother. vvv

Hell, I recently started a re-read and read that page just yesterday and I still didn't recognise it until Plom Bar quoted the article.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
its a tragedy that not only did dennis not get to see The Dark Knight, but that he was destroyed by meteors before he could see TDKR

requiescat in pace, enormous tool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Blackheart posted:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=001942