Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Went to WalMart to get a new belt, and while I was there figured I would go see if they had the 640.

They did not :(. But I did get that belt, so overall a worthwhile trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Windows Phone: trust us - just buy a belt instead.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I too bought a belt at Walmart today, and looked for a 640. Now I'm worried that I've unwittingly become a part of something larger than myself.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
These 640s people are seeing, are they:

> LTE frequencies for TMob
> dual SIM
> glorious

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I guess I'm also confused why everyone is so excited for it. Like yeah it's a new Windows Phone, but it's just another budget Windows Phone :shrug:

Is there any reason to prefer it to a 930, or 920 or 1020 even? I know someone here paid $270 to import the 640(xl?), right? Looks like 930s are available on eBay for about that. 920s are ~$100 and 1020s are ~$150-170. Why is the 640 going to hold up any better than the 520 did? Are former flagships really not better than it, or not worth paying slightly more for?

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

RVProfootballer posted:

I guess I'm also confused why everyone is so excited for it. Like yeah it's a new Windows Phone, but it's just another budget Windows Phone :shrug:

Is there any reason to prefer it to a 930, or 920 or 1020 even? I know someone here paid $270 to import the 640(xl?), right? Looks like 930s are available on eBay for about that. 920s are ~$100 and 1020s are ~$150-170. Why is the 640 going to hold up any better than the 520 did? Are former flagships really not better than it, or not worth paying slightly more for?

The 640 is a cheap phone with good specs for the price that hasn't been used by grubby hands. Being new it comes with a full manufacturers warranty. Also, people like new things.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Also presumably the battery lasts more than a couple hours unlike said grubby phones.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Got it. Yeah, fair enough if you have to have a new (as in not used) phone. Just wasn't sure if I was missing something beyond it being a shiny new thing. And it does sound like it has good battery life, which a 920 or 1020 probably don't have.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The 920 has pretty good battery life. I used to feel it get hot and see the battery drain out in the WP 8 days but a reboot would always solve that (albeit with significant fixed cost). Since updating to WP 8.1 that hasn't happened.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
My 920 needs a mid-day boost especially with a particularly long bowel movement/candy crush session. My reason for a new phone is to get a new full capacity battery how hosed is that?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Can confirm, 920 no longer drains battery for no reason post-8.1 but Candy Crush is a sucking black hole of battery usage

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

RVProfootballer posted:

Got it. Yeah, fair enough if you have to have a new (as in not used) phone. Just wasn't sure if I was missing something beyond it being a shiny new thing. And it does sound like it has good battery life, which a 920 or 1020 probably don't have.

It lasts me the whole day comfortably, usually with 25-40% battery to spare, compared to my iPhone 4S which was dead by mid afternoon. It's also been as smooth as butter performance-wise without any obvious deficiencies that a higher spec would fix.

Mostly I'm quite taken with it because I'm used to being on a budget with smartphones and it's the first budget one I've had that hasn't been a bit of a letdown (including my 4S). If you aren't used to decent performance then it's a breath of fresh air.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mr Funkface posted:

My 920 needs a mid-day boost especially with a particularly long bowel movement/candy crush session. My reason for a new phone is to get a new full capacity battery how hosed is that?
That is kind of sad; when my motor started shorting out no cellphone repair shop would touch it because they had no idea what to do aside from iPhones and Galaxies. Meanwhile my iPod classic got another five years of life from a new battery.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I was at a concert, and out of fear of my 920 fast draining I put my phone in battery saver mode. 3 hours of heavy camera use and I lost around 30%. Normally my battery wouldn't last through that. :smith:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My friend's 1020 died over the weekend with the most Windows error message ever: a black screen with plain white text reading ERROR: Cannot find bootable media.

So now he has a 640.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I've had my Icon for over a year and it still lasts all day on one charge. GPS is the only thing that seems to drain it quickly.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Just like to post some more Awful Forums Reader charts for you all:

Notice how those crash numbers went down? It's because I could actually fix poo poo this time around :cool:. Application Insights gave me better ways of figuring out how to reproduce issues, so I could fix the long standing poo poo I could not reproduce on my own. Also the threading issue (which caused crashes when you went back into the app via the app icon, but only sometimes) was actually caused by Application Insights itself. It was an old version :doh:. After upgrading it, it was fixed. Not saying all crashes are fixed, but it's a lot better than it was before. Or at least should be.

Second is this:

I upgraded the app last week, but didn't tell the thread. I was interested to see how quickly it got into your hands automatically without me prompting it (and it case poo poo hosed up, I could catch the logs early without everyone getting screwed). In this the light green bar is the old version (6.9.10.7) and the dark green version is the newest version (6.10.1.8). It took about three days to get everyone switched over. But there are 20 or so of you on the older version, so if you see a gear on the main forums page in the bottom app bar, you're running the old version and should upgrade ASAP.

The newest version fixes the SAclopedia icon on the main forums page (Now you won't get it confused with Settings :v:), fixes the app crashing on relaunch, and some other page state issues. It should handle better when multitasking, especially on lower end devices. I also added an about page on the main forums screen, in the overflow menu. You all should check that out, it's pretty cool :). Based on this current build, I probably won't make another Windows Phone 8.1 update unless the forums flat out break the app. Instead I'm investing all my time into the Windows 10 version. Hopefully once they allow for sideloading appx files onto it, I can post it you so all can easily try it out.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Drastic Actions posted:

But there are 20 or so of you on the older version, so if you see a gear on the main forums page in the bottom app bar, you're running the old version and should upgrade ASAP.

:( hard on Win10... Running the latest Phone Insider 10080, there's a known bug where the OS doesn't automatically check for updates. The official workaround is to check for updates manually. But as far as I can tell this is impossible: in the Store app when you click CheckForUpdates it says "this phone is automatically checking for updates in the background" (a lie), and in the Store Preview app when you click CheckForUpdates it doesn't do anything.

I uninstalled then reinstalled and got the new version that way.

Also, I love the charts you've shown. They've inspired me to start using AppInsights.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Drastic Actions posted:

Pretty colors and numbers

Awesome! Thanks again for the app and your superb support!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
They're testing build 10134 internally, and will apparently hitting the phones once they figure out an upgrade issue. Hopefully it's not as hosed as 10080. Also, the desktop build about to be pushed to the fast ring is also 10134. Kind of sounds like the phone team's catching up.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Drastic Actions posted:

Just like to post some more Awful Forums Reader charts for you all:

Notice how those crash numbers went down? It's because I could actually fix poo poo this time around :cool:. Application Insights gave me better ways of figuring out how to reproduce issues, so I could fix the long standing poo poo I could not reproduce on my own. Also the threading issue (which caused crashes when you went back into the app via the app icon, but only sometimes) was actually caused by Application Insights itself. It was an old version :doh:. After upgrading it, it was fixed. Not saying all crashes are fixed, but it's a lot better than it was before. Or at least should be.

Second is this:

I upgraded the app last week, but didn't tell the thread. I was interested to see how quickly it got into your hands automatically without me prompting it (and it case poo poo hosed up, I could catch the logs early without everyone getting screwed). In this the light green bar is the old version (6.9.10.7) and the dark green version is the newest version (6.10.1.8). It took about three days to get everyone switched over. But there are 20 or so of you on the older version, so if you see a gear on the main forums page in the bottom app bar, you're running the old version and should upgrade ASAP.

The newest version fixes the SAclopedia icon on the main forums page (Now you won't get it confused with Settings :v:), fixes the app crashing on relaunch, and some other page state issues. It should handle better when multitasking, especially on lower end devices. I also added an about page on the main forums screen, in the overflow menu. You all should check that out, it's pretty cool :). Based on this current build, I probably won't make another Windows Phone 8.1 update unless the forums flat out break the app. Instead I'm investing all my time into the Windows 10 version. Hopefully once they allow for sideloading appx files onto it, I can post it you so all can easily try it out.

I was so happy when there was an update, because the thing was crashing like crazy for me. Not anymore though.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Darth TNT posted:

I was so happy when there was an update, because the thing was crashing like crazy for me. Not anymore though.

Yeah this update is really nice. The crashes almost drove me away but this upgrade is the poo poo. Thanks mate we really do appreciate it.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
The latest fast ring update completely broke my Lumia 820. After unlocking, it just shows the Loading... screen forever. I can bring up the notification centre, and from there try to launch stuff from the shortcuts, e.g. All Settings. That brings up the Loading... screen as well, and after a very long time, those load up eventually. But I've never gotten to the start screen since updating. Hopefully the next update fixes it.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
So I have an oddly specific issue. I'm using a 635 on 8.1 and when I'm listening to a voicemail, any touch on the screen turns the screen off. The capacitive keys do the same thing. Locking and unlocking the phone lets me use the capacitive keys to exit out of the screen, but if I try to delete a message or touch the screen again in any other place, it starts turning the screen off again. I'd imagine this is a software problem since the phone doesn't have a proximity sensor. Any thoughts?

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

ManSedan posted:

So I have an oddly specific issue. I'm using a 635 on 8.1 and when I'm listening to a voicemail, any touch on the screen turns the screen off. The capacitive keys do the same thing. Locking and unlocking the phone lets me use the capacitive keys to exit out of the screen, but if I try to delete a message or touch the screen again in any other place, it starts turning the screen off again. I'd imagine this is a software problem since the phone doesn't have a proximity sensor. Any thoughts?

I have the same problem on the same phone. It's intermittent.

I was told by a friend at Microsoft that it's caused by a faulty proximity sensor. The job of the proximity sensor is to disable the touchscreen when you hold the phone to your face so that your cheekbone and ear don't accidentally press buttons. But a faulty proximity sensor triggers this even just for a finger press when it's not near your face. I was told that the problem might be fixed by cleaning the sensor, but it might just be defective in which case you have to get the phone replaced.

I took my phone into the local Microsoft store and explained the problem. They spent four hours re-flashing the ROM, and when I picked it up after this time the intermittent problem was no longer manifesting, so they sent me home. But it started happening again a few days later. Personally I don't have the time or energy to fight them over it. And I've upgraded my phone to Win10 for work purposes, so the store folk aren't going to be any help. I've given up and am pretty angry about it.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Best one yet!

ljw1004 posted:

I've given up and am pretty angry about it.

Windows Phone - I've given up and am pretty angry about it.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.

Factor Mystic posted:

Best one yet!

Windows Phone - I've given up and am pretty angry about it.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
I just got one of these things and the default IE just crashes on some sites I use. Any better browsers? They all seem... Not great.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Any particular sites? I've had a couple that are a bit finicky with scrolling and stuff (like Comic Rocket, with its top bar) and a couple where the mobile site just refuses to load (desktop is fine though, for some reason) but otherwise it's been pretty much unfailingly reliable.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

ljw1004 posted:

I have the same problem on the same phone. It's intermittent.

I was told by a friend at Microsoft that it's caused by a faulty proximity sensor. The job of the proximity sensor is to disable the touchscreen when you hold the phone to your face so that your cheekbone and ear don't accidentally press buttons. But a faulty proximity sensor triggers this even just for a finger press when it's not near your face. I was told that the problem might be fixed by cleaning the sensor, but it might just be defective in which case you have to get the phone replaced.

I took my phone into the local Microsoft store and explained the problem. They spent four hours re-flashing the ROM, and when I picked it up after this time the intermittent problem was no longer manifesting, so they sent me home. But it started happening again a few days later. Personally I don't have the time or energy to fight them over it. And I've upgraded my phone to Win10 for work purposes, so the store folk aren't going to be any help. I've given up and am pretty angry about it.

I too have this on my 635 with 8.1. Good to know I'm not crazy, honestly I didn't care enough to pursue it but next time it happens I might see what it takes to fix it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I had a infinite reboot problem with my 1520, I took it to the Microsoft store and they instantly handed me another one without even trying to replicate the issue. Best experience I have ever had at any retailer. :shrug:

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
I have been waiting since the Lumia Icon for the next powerhouse windows phone and I can only find vague rumors.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
940 and 940XL have been named and given specs but we won't see them until Windows 10 launches for phones.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Any particular sites? I've had a couple that are a bit finicky with scrolling and stuff (like Comic Rocket, with its top bar) and a couple where the mobile site just refuses to load (desktop is fine though, for some reason) but otherwise it's been pretty much unfailingly reliable.

Cracked is a big one - awful site, great way to waste five minutes.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Carados posted:

Cracked is a big one - awful site, great way to waste five minutes.

I just gave it a try on my Lumia 925, front page loaded fine and I was able to browse through an article. Which phone are you using? Everything up to date?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

OldPueblo posted:

I too have this on my 635 with 8.1. Good to know I'm not crazy, honestly I didn't care enough to pursue it but next time it happens I might see what it takes to fix it.

If ljw1004 is right, all it'll take is installing a new proximity sensor, easy

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
The battery life on this 640 has been great! Just finished a trip to SF and decided to also use it as my primary camera in addition to the usual tourist tools (maps, muni bus schedules, etc).

I obsessively kept it plugged in while at our condo as I have my other phones. But for stretches of 7-8 hours of abovementioned use, the battery didn't go below 80%.

I had been holding out for a flagship phone since last May when my 900 came off contract. But the more i looked at my usage, the more it seemed like a non flagship phone would work for me. And three weeks and a trip under my belt confirm that.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I was at a concert, and out of fear of my 920 fast draining I put my phone in battery saver mode. 3 hours of heavy camera use and I lost around 30%. Normally my battery wouldn't last through that. :smith:

Recalled this post last night as my 1020 ended at 5% after a 3 hour concert, tho that includes moderate browsing on it for an hour prior and all my pics and vids being uploaded via cell, along with some Twitter and texting. It seems reasonable to me that it may have died :shrug: Is there any phone, Windows or not, that wouldn't take it on the chin after that kind of use?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Solution: enjoy the concert with your phone in your pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Jeherrin posted:

Solution: enjoy the concert with your phone in your pocket.

Never complained or said it was a problem.

Solution: take an adult literacy course.