Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Yeah the words are just a bit too embarrassing to sing along to.

I watched this straight after that lyric video:

https://youtu.be/A1Ajxkws0Og

Cool they were playing the 'Psycho' riff 11 years ago - I know it's been discussed already but hadn't heard it since listening to Psycho. Wonder if that means Stockholm Syndrome is a guaranteed song in all their upcoming live shows? . ( from 5m 40s).

I quite like the comment to that video, 'this is about the time Muse realised they were the best band in the world and just started loving around'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
There's a little voice in the back of my head* saying something along the lines of "This still really doesn't sound like Muse" but that's just nitpicking; this is a really fun song.

I sense that this album may be even more of a disjointed, schizophrenic mess than The 2nd Law, but at least we're back up to a ratio of "half decent" with the songs released so far.

* It's also entirely possible that this voice is Matt Bellamy's lyrics.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 30, 2015

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Reapers is definitely the best one so far.
In regards to the album, I feel already as bored as Psycho as I am of say TSP - I think it's just because the riff is as old as the age I started listening to Muse...

Lots of guitar too which is nice, hopefully they are still 'feeling' it since they used to be a lot more raw until recently.

Doc Holliday
Dec 24, 2002
The sound they are producing is just so anemic these days. It's as though they did Neutron Star Collision for the Twilight soundtrack and it flicked a switch.
I'm just not hearing these heavy riffs that people seem to be going on about because it really feels as though all of the edges have been rounded off in all of the production work (and songwriting); it's so slow and monotonous in delivery.

Muse are still trying to rock but now rock is about serious things with childish lyrics and that's just not any fun to listen to (I preferred it when we couldn't work out what Matt was on about).

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Finally, a decent song from this album. I feared this might be Muse's first 100% disaster record (the last two albums suck but they each have one song that doesn't.) Sounds like the song actually has a loving backbone.

The live versions made me worry Reapers would just be a shite hair metal pastiche, but somehow the studio version sounds urgent and current. The intro drum sound alone is a strong statement of intent. It's still obviously high-production-values, but it sounds alive. Great to hear they resisted putting yet more Queen-style layered backing vocals in the chorus - the distorted falsetto almost sounds like OoS, believe it or not. (The outro is a a dead ringer for the Hyper Music feedback to boot.) And it's actually catchy!

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

JONES.

KILLED. BY. JONES.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Popcorn posted:

JONES.

KILLED. BY. JONES.

Disgraced UFC light heavyweight champion Jon 'Bones' Jones should make it his walk out music.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Popcorn posted:

Finally, a decent song from this album. I feared this might be Muse's first 100% disaster record (the last two albums suck but they each have one song that doesn't.) Sounds like the song actually has a loving backbone.

The live versions made me worry Reapers would just be a shite hair metal pastiche, but somehow the studio version sounds urgent and current. The intro drum sound alone is a strong statement of intent. It's still obviously high-production-values, but it sounds alive. Great to hear they resisted putting yet more Queen-style layered backing vocals in the chorus - the distorted falsetto almost sounds like OoS, believe it or not. (The outro is a a dead ringer for the Hyper Music feedback to boot.) And it's actually catchy!

Music is really subjective stuff but man I can't disagree more about this album so far. Psycho is the only song I've been really disappointed in. So far this album has kicked the poo poo out of The 2nd Law in terms of quality, note for note, and stands a good chance of being a lot better than Resistance too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Reapers is brilliant, for the record. Best song they've put out in a decade, almost entirely on the strength of that pre-chorus breakdown.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

thats a little on the nose but at least theyre trying

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Reapers will be forever ruined as "that song where you can easily sing Madonna's 'Express Yourself' over the chorus" for me.

kind of reminds me of the chorus from an old Offspring song as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-gll5ybn38&t=74s

I think Muse is one of the only bands that could channel Madonna and Rage Against the Machine in the same song and somehow make it work.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

Reapers is brilliant, for the record. Best song they've put out in a decade, almost entirely on the strength of that pre-chorus breakdown.
Huh, the cheesy "DRONES" part?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

You can mix out the drones chant once the instrumental version leaks

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

The Handler is on spotify. It's pretty good I'd say, need to give it a few more listens.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It's almost certainly the best thing of what's come out so far, albeit there wasn't a particularly high bar set. It sounds much more like Absolution/Black Holes.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Sure, it's a decent track. I don't like it quite as much as Psycho or Reapers but it's definitely a good listen; just lacks the edge those tracks have.

That said, the opening riff is a good'un

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Wow, love at first listen. Haven't said that in a long time.

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

"There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people."
Wow that is a cool song, I'm impressed.

This is the old school Muse sound I missed!

TheSteelCurtain fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 1, 2015

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Definitely best of the new ones so far. I've not heard The Globalist, dare I get excited for that?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

That tapping solo is almost identical to "In Your World," but I am not complaining.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Paperback Writer posted:

Huh, the cheesy "DRONES" part?

Nah man, that hot riff. The guy saying Drones doesn't bother me at all though.

(YouTube link for "The Handler" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOmP4n_0Dfw. I suspect it gets taken down pretty fast though).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 1, 2015

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

"There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg8IYXhA_po

I love this riff.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
What I find most interesting about this one is that it was almost definitely more of a dubstep track at some point in its life. Rhythmically, the elements are all there. Honestly I'm not convinced the drums aren't still synthetic, but who knows. Regardless, it definitely sounds Muse-y in a good way.

Am I crazy, or is the guitar solo in the middle slightly behind the beat?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Not sure how every song except Psycho is so good. Why were they so lazy with it?

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

Not sure if you guys have seen this or not, but here is the making of The Globalist and Defector.

http://vk.com/video-15973764_170968426?list=c97fd525afbb1b740c

Sounds pretty cool.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Yeah that's a couple months old. Those songs gonna own.

But holy poo poo you guys, The Handler is seriously a loving good song. Finally.

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

It's almost like they played a joke on us with the first couple of songs released because they were kind of boring, and then they released Reapers and it changed my mind. Now with this song being released I am VERY excited for what the rest of the album has to offer.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I was gonna wait until Friday to listen to the whole album, but I caved. The Handler is very good. Reminds me of the urgency of MK Ultra crossed with the musical style of Dead Star/In Your World. It could easily be a b-side from that EP.

I don't hate any of these songs so far. The worst I can say about Psycho is it's a fun headbanger that gets a bit repetitive. The other 4 songs: love them all. Best album since BHaR?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

the truth posted:

Not sure how every song except Psycho is so good. Why were they so lazy with it?

If you take out the dumb audio clips, I really don't think it's the worst musically.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Psycho is a really simple rock song, and while I'm not very interested in cataloging what is and isn't Muse based on their prog rock hits, it's pretty fuckin' lame compared to the rest of this album so far. The Handler is really, really good.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Psycho sounds very similar to Uprising to me. The riff, the plodding tempo, the asinine lyrics, it's got it all!

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Don't you guys think the solo in The Handler feels like it's supposed to have some singing over it? It's like, "is that it?"

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

It goes on a bit but doesn't need words I don't think.

Would sound better if they thrashed the instruments and made it sound a bit more glitchy / energetic. Could be a good live song.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I really love the bass in this, mainly during the chorus. Fantastic sound production for all instruments really.

And thank you Muse for not including some silly squeal or chant just for the hell of it as you so like to do now.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams
Yeah can we all take a moment to reflect on how bad they could have hosed up The Handler with one of the common trappings from the last couple albums (chants, grating sound clips, dubstep, freddie mercuryish vocal harmonies [which have their place but not here]). I agree with the lack of action in the solo but overall this one comes out in the black.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It's leaked.

Immediate reactions: JFK just kind of exists. Defector is really bad and is the most Queen-ish ripoff they've done to date; Revolt is revolting; Aftermath isn't awful but it's pretty boring and too much of a stark change in tone from the prior track. The Globalist starts off slow and the whole western thing is kinda boring. It goes into this initial bit of lyrics and as I'm halfway through I feel like the song just meanders around and wastes a lot of time -- like, for being a spiritual sequel to Citizen Erased, at least CE had a point to it. The Globalist is only really a "sequel" in that it gets pretty loud in the middle and then has that drop off into a slower ending, but the ending just sounds a bit like United States of Eurasia, Queen-climax poo poo I guess? It's hilariously underwhelming and in retrospect after it ends the western part is completely pointless. Drones itself is okay; perhaps even good, really, but I don't have much to say beyond that.

Great job, I guess.

triple sulk fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 2, 2015

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

None of the new songs are as good as Reapers/Handler. A few of these songs sound like they come from The Resistance. I don't think it's nearly as bad as the guy above me but it's not going down as one of my favorites any time soon. At the very least I think it's better than The 2nd Law, but then again I hated that album. I'll probably end up liking it more than The Resistance too.

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

Revolt is the worst song they have ever made.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Admoon posted:

None of the new songs are as good as Reapers/Handler. A few of these songs sound like they come from The Resistance. I don't think it's nearly as bad as the guy above me but it's not going down as one of my favorites any time soon. At the very least I think it's better than The 2nd Law, but then again I hated that album. I'll probably end up liking it more than The Resistance too.

I liked the Resistance and the 2nd Law, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. If the rest of the album sounds like either of those albums plus what we've heard I think its as good as you could have hoped for because Dead Inside/Reapers/The Handler are all excellent songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

I must say the second half of the album isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Aftermath sounds like Dire Straits, and The Globalist is interesting.

• Locked thread