Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

AfroSquirrel posted:

Does no one remember the Hettie chapter?

Yeah, that and the whole Coyote saying that it is Renard's love for Annie that keeps him there in the first place.Which is important because Coyote cannot lie outright. Renard isn't stupid, he knows that doing something bad to Anthony would hurt Annie even if he would want to do something to him. Mind you, something still might happen (what if Renard witnesses Anthony doing something like that etheric surgery on Annie again?). But people acting like Renard is going to kill Anthony the first chance he gets haven't been paying attention to the comic.

Also I have a feeling that if the Annie says something about the break in during the dinner, the Donlans are probably going to take Anthony's side on the matter. Remember they may not understand him, but he is their friend and they trust him.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Coyote chooses not to lie.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

JuniperCake posted:

Also I have a feeling that if the Annie says something about the break in during the dinner, the Donlans are probably going to take Anthony's side on the matter. Remember they may not understand him, but he is their friend and they trust him.

Do they? They liked Surma, and yeah Kat's dad and Anthony were "friends" but even Kat's dad seemed rather perplexed by literally everything he did. Anthony's a mystery to basically everybody still alive right now, and need I remind everyone that his presence is almost certainly orchestrated by the Court itself? At least the Headmaster.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Is Kat out to her parents? What if Tony knows about her and Paz and brings it up over dinner? The potential for awkwardness is infinite at this dinner

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

They've been visibly dating, they were together on the cruise ship, it'd be surprising to me if her parents didn't know.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

It was pointed out by Renard that the Court as a society is very different from the rest of humanity and that of all people, Annie was most likely to have a problem with it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Do they? They liked Surma, and yeah Kat's dad and Anthony were "friends" but even Kat's dad seemed rather perplexed by literally everything he did. Anthony's a mystery to basically everybody still alive right now, and need I remind everyone that his presence is almost certainly orchestrated by the Court itself? At least the Headmaster.

I don't see why he wouldn't.

Kat's dad still knows a lot about Anthony, like the story he told Annie about how he deals with emotional difficulties in a rather avoidant/internal kind of way. Something that he noticed in Annie when he handed her that glass (Tom wasn't subtle with them digging their nails into their palms in the same exact way). Though Annie, at least before, was growing to become more extroverted and open, her dad's reemergence seems to be bringing her back to how she was before.

He knows that you can't take Anthony at face value and a lot of his deal is beneath the surface. He also knows the dude has more emotion and etc that he lets on, remember that Mr. Donlan was his confidant throughout school. So yeah, I suspect Mr. Donlan still harbors a lot of good will and trust towards Anthony. Trust in the sense that he'd probably believe that Anthony has good intentions even if he isn't expressing himself or going about things in the best way. Also while sneaking around a school is one thing (he's done that himself), I don't think he'd be okay with his daughter breaking into his friend's private home.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
New Page!

Anthony's face looks kinda... uh... off. Is it just me?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

New Page!

Thats not a nice thing to say about the disfigured!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Lord of Hats posted:

New Page!

Is it a new pose? He seems like he's scowling less than usual.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's like a Garfield without Garfield strip.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Only just noticed it in this page, it's kind of interesting that in this chapter Anthony's calling him Renard whereas last chapter he said Renardine

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
After all that fuss and what he did to Annie, I suddenly feel a twinge of sympathy for Anthony. It's probably really lonely for him.

What can I say, my heartstrings are easily plucked. :v:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Super Waffle posted:

Is Kat out to her parents? What if Tony knows about her and Paz and brings it up over dinner? The potential for awkwardness is infinite at this dinner

The Donlans seem really chill and understanding (look back on how they handled Annie's breakdown after the phonecall), so I don't think they'd make a scene out of this even if they didn't already know.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mr. Eglamore told Anthony about Renards change of heart, and all he wants is a good talk about old times and reminisce with Rey about old times :smith:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

He didn't disobey, he's showing himself right now! In doll form!

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Ugh I need to know why the chair is important I NEED TO KNOW

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

symbolic of Anthony's self imposed isolation from everyone else? A good place to sit and stroke a white cat corgi while plotting the destruction of the world?

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
If they'd actually looked at the chair they'd see it's a charging dock, obviously.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Red Queen posted:

If they'd actually looked at the chair they'd see it's a charging dock, obviously.

A USButt cradle.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

MikeJF posted:

A USButt cradle.

Considering where the comic takes place, I hope there's an adapter for UKButt.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Nothing makes you appreciate the subtleties of artwork quite like photoshopping it.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 3, 2015

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It's been said before but there's no bigger a mystery in this story than why Surma and this autistic, hideous guy got together.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Saoshyant posted:

It's been said before but there's no bigger a mystery in this story than why Surma and this autistic, hideous guy got together.

if you think about it, the answer's quite obvious

:awesome:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm gonna go with "she was able to look past his unpleasant facade with her psychic mind powers and see the burning, passionate intellect within, and also he was hot, and so she got together with him without considering the kind of relationship she could have with someone who was indistinguishable from a robotic rear end in a top hat to everyone else on the planet."

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

pksage posted:

Ugh I need to know why the chair is important I NEED TO KNOW
It is super comfy.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yo I think you guys are forgetting that Tony didn't have that messed up mug until recently.

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=813

There's still the whole autism thing though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
That's actually pretty interesting, because it indicates that he hasn't actually aged worse than his contemporaries, but changed suddenly sometime recently. On the other hand, it happened at least partially while Annie was there, or she would probably have commented on the change alongside his missing hand.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Parts Kit posted:

It is super comfy.

Are you saying... it's the most comfortable chair in the world?

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Rand Brittain posted:

That's actually pretty interesting, because it indicates that he hasn't actually aged worse than his contemporaries, but changed suddenly sometime recently. On the other hand, it happened at least partially while Annie was there, or she would probably have commented on the change alongside his missing hand.

I don't think we can take that as a given. Poor girl was in shock, and he shut her down the moment she asked about the hand; I doubt she would have had the courage to say anything about his face after that.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

dyzzy posted:

Yo I think you guys are forgetting that Tony didn't have that messed up mug until recently.

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=813

There's still the whole autism thing though.

Okay, yeah, his eyes are definitely smaller and weird, and I don't think Zimmy punching him could account for that. Him making a robot Surrogate and skimping on the eye cameras might account for it though :tinfoil:.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Has Annie always been this short? Or is it an artistic conceit?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The first time Donny speaks since Microsat 5 (April 2012). (ok, there was a single bubble in Stone's flashback in Oct 2012)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Has Annie always been this short? Or is it an artistic conceit?

She's like 13, some people dont hit growth spurts til later, 20s even.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
She's definitely been 'portrayed' as taller than this before, especially when she's doing Medium-y things.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

That scar on his hand in the third panel that's obviously just a scar makes me think the Tony we're seeing right now is just some guy in a human suit.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Welp, that gives us a likely answer to the question of whether or not the Donlans are big Tony fans.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

pandaK posted:

That scar on his hand in the third panel that's obviously just a scar makes me think the Tony we're seeing right now is just some guy in a human suit.
It's less a scar and more that hand is obviously prosthetic. Compare it to the one he knocks on the door with.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Welp, that gives us a likely answer to the question of whether or not the Donlans are big Tony fans.

I mean, even if Donald is still feeling super friendly towards Anthony in general, Anthony's not the sort of guy you great with a "hey, how've you been!" You want to make him feel comfortable by reciprocating his steely gaze and curt language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Reminds me of this

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1018
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1019

Specifically the fact that she feels the ridged edge of the Gi and feels reassured by it. To me that means she does have good memories of her dad. I remember my dad teaching me Karate, beating me around the mat, being super critical of me, and wanting my best. I mean my dad never abandoned me, I mean if anything I ditched my family for a few years. There is more to Tony. I guarantee it. Do not read this as me defending his abandonment of his child.