Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

The IT Certification Megathread: Just lie about having the certs if you feel like it

I guy I knew did that after getting out of the Navy. "I Had my CCNA but it let it lapse". He refused offers to pay to take his CCNA (He has to pay for up front and he would be reimbursed if he passed). He's now at a community college for "Network Engineering Technology" and "Cyber Security"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

The IT Certification Megathread: Just lie about having the certs if you feel like it

One weird trick to get past HR that Obama doesn't want you to know about

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

crunk dork posted:

This.

Just lie about having the CompTIA certs if you feel like it and know you have equivalent knowledge. I don't think anyone is going to ask for cert numbers and check them for those three specifically. Not really ethical I guess but who cares if you have the knowledge and are trying to get past HR.

Just learn what the numbering formats are for the candidate IDs and confirmation numbers.

Advanced skill set: register VMwareconfirmations.com/CompTIAconfirmations.com and spin up a frontend that looks legit, provide a confirmation #/candidate ID that matches what you give employers, set it so that it confirms you by name

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
People will absolutely check your Security+ if it's anything relating to a government contract.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
Thanks for the info guys. CCNA it is, and I might get the Security+ too just because I enjoyed the material when I took it years ago in the army. Think I might pass on lying about the exams though!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

I openly advocate cheating and lying about certs

I also advocate learning as much as possible from them

I just don't care how you pass them or if you passed them

But definitely learn things.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Person Dyslexic posted:

So I have finally decided that working in insurance can go gently caress right off and am aiming for my first certs. I know enough to pretty easily pass the A+, network+ and Security+ exams with minimal studying, but I also did the Cisco Discovery 1-4 courses 4 years ago and am pretty solid with networking concepts in general. My question then is, should i even bother with the A+, Network+ or Security+ certs or focus my time on the CCNA, which would take me more studying to feel prepared for but I am still reasonably sure I could pass easily.

I also feel I should ask how much the CCNA has changed since I last learned this material...is IPV6 heavily focused on? I worry that might sink me if so... How tough is that compared to IPV4?

Thanks in advance...this is pretty intimidating to me since I feel like I wasted years of my life at the company I am at now and am playing from behind.

If you've got the money, just go take the certs

More certs never hoits

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

That's what I was saying... I don't think it really matters at entry level as long as you know your poo poo. That being said, you shouldn't ever lie about anything when applying for a government job, especially when the DoD is concerned.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I had a former supervisor with certs, knowledge and experience out the rear end, and he told me to just buy the loving test dumps so I could know what to study, casually mentioning that's how he got all of his.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I've heard folks say CCIE's are useless now since everyone has them and can just study the answers and not know how to do networking. Crazy world out there.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Certs are useless without experience and always have been. CCIEs with experience are worth their weight in gold

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

doomisland posted:

I've heard folks say CCIE's are useless now since everyone has them and can just study the answers and not know how to do networking. Crazy world out there.

You could probably dump any written exam if you tried hard enough, not so sure about hands on labs though. You'd think the answers would be so complex at that level of knowledge that memorizing the commands necessary to complete and order of executing them would be harder than just learning the material itself.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

crunk dork posted:

You could probably dump any written exam if you tried hard enough, not so sure about hands on labs though. You'd think the answers would be so complex at that level of knowledge that memorizing the commands necessary to complete and order of executing them would be harder than just learning the material itself.

Yeah you would think but one example was them not knowing how IPv6 works and differences between frames and packets.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

doomisland posted:

I know of two CCIEs where I work. What you say is not true.

Oh another note, I'm hopping back into this thread after some time focusing on work. I've been working on the CISSP but christ it's Dry. Shon's book (RIP) is good but it's hard to hold attention for more than a few pages.

I've also the safari version of 11th hour and I think that's the best that I can get. It's all the rediculous risk management and synergy-type poo poo. gently caress.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

doomisland posted:

There's a live lab for the CCIE and it's no joke. Sure, you might be able to brain dump the CCIE Written but passing the lab is no small feat.

As for certification themselves, it helps HR/Management check the checkbox that there's high confidence you have a decent background in computering and they're probably not wasting their time with a 2nd round of interviews.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good CCNA Security book? That's my next class at WGU after R&S so I'd like to order it shortly to hit the ground running.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

doomisland posted:

There's always going to be outliers and people to disagree with me, but I'll say this. I think if you can study test dumps in such a way that it allows you to bullshit your way to a CCIE, that without even having meant to, you've backdoored your way into being a pretty decent network administrator. My point being, even the worst CCIE in the world is probably, let's say, a strong CCNA.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

There's always going to be outliers and people to disagree with me, but I'll say this. I think if you can study test dumps in such a way that it allows you to bullshit your way to a CCIE, that without even having meant to, you've backdoored your way into being a pretty decent network administrator. My point being, even the worst CCIE in the world is probably, let's say, a strong CCNA.

The general point they were trying to make is certs dont mean poo poo and they'll take dudes who they know are good with nothing to their name over someone with every CCIE Cisco offers. From what I've seen"good" in this context means someone who can pick stuff up quick and has the ability to then adapt and troubleshoot. Poking at MPLS for the first time to implementing it the next week etc etc

doomisland fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 3, 2015

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
There are 15000 ccies worldwide and plenty of companies require at least one on staff for Cisco partner levels. Hugely important.

Plus at least in my area they are hard to come by and demand a huge premium.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

doomisland posted:

The general point they were trying to make is certs dont might not mean poo poo and they'll take dudes who they know are good with nothing to their name over someone with every CCIE Cisco offers.

Sounds like someone has a chip on his shoulder and/or is a bad interviewer. Again, certs are not a substitute for experience. You still need to interview candidates. Good CCIEs are great. Certs establish some familiarity with best practice even if braindumped, which "poking at MPLS" won't tell you. You shouldn't devalue them, but you shouldn't value them in a vacuum either. Does this make sense? The world is not black and white, and, as a generalization, CCIEs (and certs in general) are valuable

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I'm in that terrible position where I'm done studying for the ccna but I can't tell if I'm ready for the test. I read through Odom's icnd1 book and competed a 30 hour video course on udemy, following along in the packet tracer. I can set up a test lab with three routers, 9 switches, and 3 vlans, without looking at my notes.

But every free practice test I take catches me up on inane minutia of a specific services that doesn't have anything to do with a network configuration. It's a huge demotivation to bomb these unofficial and likely misleading tests.

Can anybody reassure me as to whether a good conceptual understanding and practical skills will get me through the test? Or do I need to hit the books again to memorize the acronyms associated with the phases of PPP?

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

evol262 posted:

Sounds like someone has a chip on his shoulder and/or is a bad interviewer. Again, certs are not a substitute for experience. You still need to interview candidates. Good CCIEs are great. Certs establish some familiarity with best practice even if braindumped, which "poking at MPLS" won't tell you. You shouldn't devalue them, but you shouldn't value them in a vacuum either. Does this make sense? The world is not black and white, and, as a generalization, CCIEs (and certs in general) are valuable

No I get that it's just interesting seeing the two sides of this.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm in that terrible position where I'm done studying for the ccna but I can't tell if I'm ready for the test. I read through Odom's icnd1 book and competed a 30 hour video course on udemy, following along in the packet tracer. I can set up a test lab with three routers, 9 switches, and 3 vlans, without looking at my notes.

But every free practice test I take catches me up on inane minutia of a specific services that doesn't have anything to do with a network configuration. It's a huge demotivation to bomb these unofficial and likely misleading tests.

Can anybody reassure me as to whether a good conceptual understanding and practical skills will get me through the test? Or do I need to hit the books again to memorize the acronyms associated with the phases of PPP?

This is where I see the value of dumps. You don't have get the latest dump and memorize answers but you could get an older one and get a feel for the test from real examples.

We had a file cabinet in college filled with old tests that was great study material for this exact reason.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

evol262 posted:

Sounds like someone has a chip on his shoulder and/or is a bad interviewer. Again, certs are not a substitute for experience. You still need to interview candidates. Good CCIEs are great. Certs establish some familiarity with best practice even if braindumped, which "poking at MPLS" won't tell you. You shouldn't devalue them, but you shouldn't value them in a vacuum either. Does this make sense? The world is not black and white, and, as a generalization, CCIEs (and certs in general) are valuable.

This should be added to the OP.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Experience, Education, and IT Vendor Certifications all play a complimentary role to each other and present a well rounded candidate.

When I look at resumes:

Experience shows me that the person knows how to handle themselves in a professional environment (hopefully), along with all the other crap that comes with working in a business environment. Their experience should also give me a good idea of their accomplishments at their previous employers

Education shows me that they were able to complete a general education of some sort. When hiring in IT I really don't care what the degree is in, but being able to complete a degree does count for something. Lot's of IT guys don't like taking courses that don't directly deal with their job. I know someone with a degree was able to pass some humanities and English, math, and science courses at a college level.

Vendor Certifications show me someone cares enough about IT to put the effort into getting them. I don't put much stock in peoples knowledge once they have them, as they are easy to brain dump for the most part, but showing an effort to do something they don't have to do is worth something

So yeah, all 3 compliment each other, great candidates can have 2 out of 3 no problem and still be very successful, but all 3 is an advantage in the hiring process.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

IMO the lower spectrum of IT and support should be handled as a trade instead of a educated path. Higher ends of it such as PM, management, and architecturing should absolutely have a degree.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
The OP didn't have too much on MCSA certification. Is there any reason not to pursue them?

I was really interested in getting MCSA Windows Server 2012. https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcsa-windows-server-certification.aspx It seems like it would give me a good understanding of active directory and the roles that Wiondows Server can provide. Also, hopefully powershell but that isn't a NEED. Just would be nice to get some experience in it since it seems like Microsoft wants to move to it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Beefstorm posted:

The OP didn't have too much on MCSA certification. Is there any reason not to pursue them?

I was really interested in getting MCSA Windows Server 2012. https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcsa-windows-server-certification.aspx It seems like it would give me a good understanding of active directory and the roles that Wiondows Server can provide. Also, hopefully powershell but that isn't a NEED. Just would be nice to get some experience in it since it seems like Microsoft wants to move to it.

There's a few of us currently working on this cert. We complain a lot.

I've learned a lot from studying for the exams but it's a real challenge.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Beefstorm posted:

MCSA is a great path to go down. Still working on mine. You'll end up using about 20% of what you've learned in the real world but its a really important 20%. The other 80% is basically marketing to get you to run a 100% Windows shop ("Please user Hyper-V instead of VMware. Pretty please").

Good luck making a lab for most of the stuff covered in 70-411.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
Just finished my 802 yesterday. Somehow one of the questions I got was clearly meant for an 801 exam. Ever had that happen?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Sacred Cow posted:

Why? I have MSDN so licenses shouldn't be an issue. Is there another expensive hurdle I'm missing?

Also, good information everyone. Thank you! (not sarcasm)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Beefstorm posted:

Why? I have MSDN so licenses shouldn't be an issue. Is there another expensive hurdle I'm missing?

Also, good information everyone. Thank you! (not sarcasm)

If you have a strong networking background you should be fine.

For a person like me, setting up an environment to test a VPN tunnel is a bit difficult.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Simulate the internet!

http://wanem.sourceforge.net/

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If you have a strong networking background you should be fine.

For a person like me, setting up an environment to test a VPN tunnel is a bit difficult.

Ah that makes sense.

I guess I was kind of lucky then with my high school. They offered two different ccna classes (which regardless of your training, Cisco IOS is still a bitch to deal with imho). So yeah. I have a pretty OK networking background.

The reason I ask is because my boss wanted me to become an MCP and I was like, "Not unless you are paying for the training..." And he is now. So yay!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Beefstorm posted:

It seems like it would give me a good understanding of active directory and the roles that Wiondows Server can provide. Also, hopefully powershell but that isn't a NEED. Just would be nice to get some experience in it since it seems like Microsoft wants to move to it.

Yea, you'll get a good understanding Microsoft Server and it's a great career move. I haven't taken the MCSA tests but on every new Microsoft test there will not only be question on how to do $X in the GUI but how to the same in Powershell.

In all honestly Powershell is a must for even a decent borderline Microsoft tech.

Sacred Cow posted:

Creating a small domain over (2 servers, 1 desktop) is pretty damned simple and should be possible with any modern desktop/laptop (<3 years old) with whatever free virtualization solution.

Beefstorm posted:

You can also download the evaluation copies of Windows Server which last for 180 days.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I had a former supervisor with certs, knowledge and experience out the rear end, and he told me to just buy the loving test dumps so I could know what to study, casually mentioning that's how he got all of his.

I find this oddly reassuring

I have almost zero IT experience (this one little stint at a non profit organization my dad had me go to back around the early 2000s when I was in High School), and only a recently obtained Associates (Computer Support Specialist) and two TCCs (PC Repair and Network Technician, and Help Desk Specialist) to my name.

But I have a poo poo ton of IT training videos.

Would it just be a good idea to just put down "(insert cert name) level knowledge" on my Resume?

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 8, 2015

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Race Realists posted:

I find this oddly reassuring

I have almost zero IT experience (this one little stint at a non profit organization my dad had me go to back around the early 2000s when I was in High School), and only an Associates and two TCCs to my name.

But I have a poo poo ton of IT training videos.

Would it just be a good idea to just put down "(insert cert name) level knowledge" on my Resume?

No, IMO. Put down your actual accomplishments and let the hiring manager be the judge of what level that represents. If that level is "not much"... that's why certs exist. To "prove" that you know a thing even if you haven't used it on the job.

You can't short circuit this poo poo. You as a random dude saying you have CCNA level knowledge because you watched some videos is meaningless. Cisco saying you have CCNA level knowledge carries weight.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

^^ It's easy enough to watch some videos and think to yourself "Yeah, that seems straightforward, I got this" (I know this because this is me like every time I start studying something) and then you go and actually try to do it and it's not quite as easy as you thought. See: the difference between reading through all the CCNA material and actually doing the simlets and such in them.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Thanks for the advice guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Passed both the 220-801 and 802 tests today, now to find a job!