Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

RumbleFish posted:

I don't think Williams-Brice itself has ever looked straight up bad -- unless you don't care for its shape -- but the grounds around it were atrociously awful until the school finally wised up, bought the land, and has been beautifying it for the past few seasons. It looks so much better now and will be gorgeous once the trees they've planted have had some time to grow.

Here's an aerial shot from several years ago that highlights the awe-inspiring parking lots and industrial aspects of that area:

Here's a recent one that shows the cosmetic touches they've added to the stadium lately, which helps it pop more:

This is Gamecock Park, which used to be the giant farmer's market lot and is still where most of the parking is, but it's at least a green space now and has the same kind of brick that's on campus:

And finally, this is the phase they're currently working on and should be ready by the time the season starts:

It might not seem like much compared to other schools' expansion plans, but if you've ever been to a game in Columbia, you'd probably understand how significant this upgrade really is.

I went to a ton of games there when I was a kid. It was a shithole. Thank god they're finally making some improvements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Maryland is awful full stop.

MindlessHavok posted:

Sanford Stadium is the ugliest god drat thing I've ever seen.

Statements are worthless without pictures!

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Never forget the SMU 5

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Maryland isn't asymmetrical. It's lopsided.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

kayakyakr posted:

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 2, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Which college teams have the most non-alumni Facebook fans?

The answers will probably not surprise you!

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Slate Action posted:

Oh, I'm proud to be in C-USA
Where the games are defense free

If tomorrow all the things were gone,
I'd worked for 18 years.
And I had to start again,
with just a coach and Bama tears

I'd thank my lucky stars,
to be livin here today.
‘Cause the C still stands for offense,
and I'll recruit that every day.

And I'm proud to be a C-USA fan,
Where the games are defense free.
And to win games, to survive,
you must score sixty-three.

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and pound this beer all day.
‘Cause there ain't no doubt I love offense,
God bless C-USA.

From Southern Mississippi, to Middle Tennessee,
across the plains of North Texas, the football's flying free,

From Miami to El Paso, and Ruston to OD,
Well, there's points in every CUSA scoreboard,
and it's time to stand and say:

I'm proud to be a C-USA fan,
Where the games are defense free.
And to win games, to survive,
you must score sixty-three.

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and pound this beer all day.
‘Cause there ain't no doubt I love offense,
God bless C-USA.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Richt confirms he is recruiting what's his face as QB from Virginia. Armchair coach in me says this doesn't speak well of QBs on campus.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

American conference, stay away from me
American conference, man some scrubs yall be
Don't come a-hangin' around our door
I don't wanna see Tulane no more
I got more important things to do
Than spend my money on SMU
Now Memphis, I said stay away
American conference, listen what I say

American conference, get away from me
Don't come a-knockin' around my door
Don't wanna see ECU no more
Baylor yall can hypnotize
But yall ain't ever gonna be P5
Now Temple, I said get away
American conference, listen what I say, hey

American conference, said get away
UCF, listen what I say
Don't come a-hangin' around my door
Don't wanna see USF no more
I don't need your Cincinnatis
I don't need your Houston schemes
UConn can cut the b-ball nets
But that don't draw no TV sets
Now Tulsa, get away from me

Go, gotta get away, gotta get away
Now go go go
We're gonna leave you, conference
Gonna leave you, conference
Bye-bye
Bye-bye
Bye-bye
Bye-bye
You're no good for me
I'm too good for you
Gonna look you right in the eye
Tell you what I'm gonna do
You know I'm gonna leave
You know I'm gonna go
You know I'm gonna leave
Navy why'd you go, to that conference
I'm gonna leave ya, conference
Goodbye, American Athletic Conference...
Goodbye, American dicks
Goodbye, ACK conference...
Goodbye, American dicks

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

MourningView posted:

I think technically all the biggest stadiums would be race tracks but gently caress that poo poo.

Yea, they are, but America still has 5 of the top 10. Of the 216 sports venues world-wide that seat over 60,000 we have 105 of those(45 of the top 100). That's absolutely staggering.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
KU's stadium is ugly as hell and I live right next to it. At least they finally took out the track.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Duke doesn't have a track, KU doesn't have a track, what kind of hosed up world are we living in

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Why was it a style way back when to leave one side of the stadium open? Seems like a ton of places have that going on.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

The cover photo is priceless.

I am surprised on how Northwestern made the Bottom 10 on fans to alums because I didn't think many fans were not alums. I live 10 miles from campus and I barely see any NU merch outside of Evanston and a few random people here or there. And it's not like Ryan Field is packed unless another Big 10 team is visiting.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Being on either extreme in this one is a bad sign. Too many non-alumni, and your fan base is obnoxious hangers-on. Too few, and it speaks to the unpopularity of your school.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The old stands are loving terrible. Like they're wayyyyyyy too loving steep.

That's really my favorite part of them. Even all the way at the top you don't feel like you're that far from the field. Elder folks beware, but that's what I love most about them.

kayakyakr posted:

This was more about Maryland in general than the awfulness of their stadium, but its a really shallow horseshoe in a poo poo part of the MD suburbs inaccessible by any reasonable public transport so as evidenced in those photos it's a p whatever place.

More my distaste for MD as a state as a man from northern va than anything else.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 2, 2015

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

mayodreams posted:

I am surprised on how Northwestern made the Bottom 10 on fans to alums because I didn't think many fans were not alums. I live 10 miles from campus and I barely see any NU merch outside of Evanston and a few random people here or there. And it's not like Ryan Field is packed unless another Big 10 team is visiting.

Yeah, Northwestern is an oddball. Also surprised Ohio State didn't crack the bottom 10 somehow.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mike_V posted:

KU's stadium is ugly as hell and I live right next to it. At least they finally took out the track.

The track was the only charming thing about that dump.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

mayodreams posted:

CHICAGO'S BIG TEN TEAM

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

KKKLIP ART posted:

Richt confirms he is recruiting what's his face as QB from Virginia. Armchair coach in me says this doesn't speak well of QBs on campus.

We could have Joe Montana behind center and Brian Schottenheimer would have him throwing three yard curls.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Grittybeard posted:

Why was it a style way back when to leave one side of the stadium open? Seems like a ton of places have that going on.

In the old days, one end was open so you could have a full-size track with a football field in the middle.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i will not be happy until a track is installed at Bryant-Denny

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm kinda surprised Georgia Tech isn't closer to the "no non-alumni fans" side. I sure haven't met many.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Alouicious posted:

i will not be happy until a track is installed at Bryant-Denny

agreed, we need to have the field constantly circled by 15 elephants, rode by mad max style marauders with scott cochrane at the head

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I'll admit it looks better with the new upper deck, but Nebraska's Memorial Stadium is the definition of designing yourself into a corner.

Great sight lines! For about 40 people!

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

So a majority of Northwestern fans are masochists? I don't understand otherwise.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

We could have Joe Montana behind center and Brian Schottenheimer would have him throwing three yard curls.

That is a very poor choice of QB to use when arguing against throwing lots of short passes.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
You know what I mean MV. I'm saying regardless of who's behind center Schotty's gonna turn him into poo poo. I'm not sure why you had to nitpick.

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 2, 2015

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

mayodreams posted:

It said that its nine percent of fans, right?

Well, there's 85 scholarship players and they've all got moms, so there's 85 non-alumni fans. Round that up to 90 and there's your nine percent. And apparently only around a thousand total Northwestern fans, which seems right.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

D.N. Nation posted:

I'll admit it looks better with the new upper deck, but Nebraska's Memorial Stadium is the definition of designing yourself into a corner.

Husker fans are not picky. They live in Nebraska.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

D.N. Nation posted:

Very much looks like the field should be running the other direction with those giant endzone bleachers.

At least it's fairly symmetrical.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

OU's stadium has always been a moderate embarrassment to me. Asymmetrical with open corners in the south endzone, and a parking garage for the west facade:

View from the northwest corner

View from the southeast corner

A $350 million dollar plan to renovate and bowl in the stadium proposed several months ago got tabled when oil prices plummeted and OU underperfomed this season. A scaled-down $150 million proposal has been approved in it's place, though. 1st pic is the new south facade, 3rd and 4th the new south endzone.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 3, 2015

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Nebraska's stadium is much more symmetrical now since they added an upper deck on the east side, which is where the picture was taken from.

The picture misses the massive video board on the north side, too.

EDIT: I wish I could find a picture of the billboard that's just off that freeway, which states THERE IS NO PLACE. I wish...

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 3, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sash! posted:

It said that its nine percent of fans, right?

Well, there's 85 scholarship players and they've all got moms, so there's 85 non-alumni fans. Round that up to 90 and there's your nine percent. And apparently only around a thousand total Northwestern fans, which seems right.

Other way around, only 9 percent were alum.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Thoguh posted:

Other way around, only 9 percent were alum.

Well then that just means the bulk of the fans are the moms

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Look at those dad sandals. All that booster money and he can't even get good footware

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Crotch Bat posted:

Nothing is more awesome than the sheer opulence we have in this country with regards to CFB stadiums. They're used 6 or 7 times a year for the minor league version of a sport only truly popular in 1 country in the world for a game played by kids barely old enough to vote and there's literally hundreds of them scattered across the nation.

A local derby between amateur students indeed.

We use it for graduations too.

There's actually a lot of fan debate why Rutgers Stadium doesn't host concerts, apparently there's a local noise ordinance.

TBH it's pretty boring and generic, but at least it's a tough place to play. Most northeast teams (Pitt, BC, Cuse, UConn, Temple) have morgue stadiums. The Dome use to be rocking back in the day. Now it's just sad and depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Lane Stadium pre-renovation was pretty damned awful and ugly CB.

Maryland's stadium is also awful.

:colbert:

• Locked thread