Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

whitey delenda est posted:

It's also to lay the groundwork early to excuse the US based financial institutions and companies that facilitated and were basically complicit in said bribery.

Eh, as long as they filed suspicious transaction reports I'm not seeing any banking wrongdoing here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
I'd think as a general rule of thumb that bribing your way into unfairly winning a competitive bid is always going to be illegal, somehow

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Starting on page 74 http://www.justice.gov/opa/file/450211/download

I think the issue is this:

quote:

Co-Conspirator #2 agreed to pay and did pay CoConspirator #11 half of the money he made from the sponsorship deal, totaling in the millions of dollars, as a bribe and kickback.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Akileese posted:

Sepp Blatter has just his resigned as FIFA President. He'll fulfill his duties until the congress can elect a new president.

It's happening. IT'S loving HAPPENING!

I have never thought higher of the United States of America. I love you people so much.

This is what my america-themed barbeque-fest is going to look like.

It will be loving awesome. Thank you, god bless.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

tsa posted:

Thought he just chills in Moscow now? Or am I thinking of the other one.

America doesn't give a gently caress about FIFA, but this idea that americans don't like soccer is kinda from the 80s. It's second only to baseball w.r.t the number of households who have at least 1 person playing, it's more popular than hockey, etc. This is really great news for many US corps because soccer is becoming big money, the viewership rights for World Cup matches are on the same level as the world series or NBA finals-- in fact some US games have higher ratings than those. And it is only getting bigger as America becomes increasingly more diverse.

No I'm pretty sure Americans don't give a gently caress about soccer. Any amount of time living in America would tell you that. Those households playing soccer are basically all little kids and have been that way all throughout the 80's and beyond.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Vladimir Putin posted:

No I'm pretty sure Americans don't give a gently caress about soccer. Any amount of time living in America would tell you that. Those households playing soccer are basically all little kids and have been that way all throughout the 80's and beyond.

Soccer is looked at more as a sport for girls in the US right now but that's actually changing a bit.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Vladimir Putin posted:

I'd like to add that this whole thing is possible only because of the arguable over reach of American prosecutors and the fact that nobody in America gives a gently caress about soccer. I mean why would American prosecutors be interested in taking down such a large organization wthat has virtually no power in America and that the average American doesn't even know exists? That makes it all the more delicious.

As I understand it things started when one of the US based execs got busted for failing to files taxes for several years. In order to save his own rear end he offered to roll on his bosses at FIFA.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

MH Knights posted:

As I understand it things started when one of the US based execs got busted for failing to files taxes for several years. In order to save his own rear end he offered to roll on his bosses at FIFA.

Dumb motherfucker... Well thats how they got capone as well. Really, pay your loving taxes, even your illict income, the IRS won't do poo poo if you just loving give them the money, not giving the irs its cut is the fastest way to get hosed town in existence, and besides a good accountant could have handled that to make sure nobody would investigate.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

A Winner is Jew posted:

Soccer is looked at more as a sport for girls in the US right now but that's actually changing a bit.

There's not a lot of enthusiasm for playing the game, but it is slowly gaining popularity as a spectator sport. MLS used to be a struggling joke that didn't look like it was going to make it, and now they have several healthy, successful franchises. One of the most successful MLS teams with constantly sold-out matches is in Kansas City of all places. The last world cup was the first one I remember where Americans sorta gave half a poo poo.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Northjayhawk posted:

There's not a lot of enthusiasm for playing the game, but it is slowly gaining popularity as a spectator sport. MLS used to be a struggling joke that didn't look like it was going to make it, and now they have several healthy, successful franchises. One of the most successful MLS teams with constantly sold-out matches is in Kansas City of all places. The last world cup was the first one I remember where Americans sorta gave half a poo poo.

The 1994 World Cup boasts the highest attendance in World Cup history.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Someone found a nice stack of incriminating documents is the feeling I'm getting. I'm betting that they move down the ranks next.

Nice piece of fish posted:

It's happening. IT'S loving HAPPENING!

I have never thought higher of the United States of America. I love you people so much.

This is what my america-themed barbeque-fest is going to look like.

It will be loving awesome. Thank you, god bless.

This gif owns.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Zeroisanumber posted:

Platini's gutless. If he had any character, he'd have challenged Blatter in the last election.

i don't agree

blatter was looking stronger than ever before the FBI investigation. even with the fbi investigation platini couldn't mobilise all of UEFA against him. what he could do, though, was make noises about how distant he is from blatter. he's got UEFA, he's got a lot of experience and he looks confident that he's not getting dragged down by the investigation, so i reckon he's going to try to seize the organisation before anyone else can mobilise

we'll see, of course, but this is my projection

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
So, who knows about Russia since they were at least a logical candidate to host regardless of bribery, but Qatar in 2022 has got to be dead, right? That was a cartoonishly corrupt vote.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Northjayhawk posted:

So, who knows about Russia since they were at least a logical candidate to host regardless of bribery, but Qatar in 2022 has got to be dead, right? That was a cartoonishly corrupt vote.
I bet everyone was looking for the perfect excuse to drop Qatar and this is it.

I don't know where it'll be held, but Europe or the US are the likely candidates.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

We don't loving want the world cup. Go hog wild europe, but remember who came in and regulated....

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I bet everyone was looking for the perfect excuse to drop Qatar and this is it.

I don't know where it'll be held, but Europe or the US are the likely candidates.

I think I read that if bidding is re-opened, Australia also wants to try again. Honestly, I think the US should probably just let the Aussies or the UK have it and prepare a bid for 2026.

A situation where Qatar obviously bribes FIFA to beat the US and take the 2022 host, followed by the USA basically arresting half of FIFA and seizing the world cup host back as some sort of "spoils of war" would kinda look bad.

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

i don't agree

blatter was looking stronger than ever before the FBI investigation. even with the fbi investigation platini couldn't mobilise all of UEFA against him. what he could do, though, was make noises about how distant he is from blatter. he's got UEFA, he's got a lot of experience and he looks confident that he's not getting dragged down by the investigation, so i reckon he's going to try to seize the organisation before anyone else can mobilise

we'll see, of course, but this is my projection

Are we sure Platini is clean? Isn't he the one that was supposedly given the Picasso for supporting the Russian bid or was that a false rumor? I did a quick google search and saw a few articles but not from any sources I trust. He did vote for Qatar in 2022, which doesn't look good.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/05/michel-platini-conspirators-2022-world-cup-bid-uefa

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Platini is just as dirty as Blatter. He came back from qatar with a 30 million dollar rolex and his son got a job ridiculously good job, with no relevant qualifications, at a Qatari owned company.

The mans as filthy as they come.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

incoherent posted:

We don't loving want the world cup. Go hog wild europe, but remember who came in and regulated....

Mount up.

Vladimir Putin posted:

While we're not as indifferent/hostile to soccer as we once were, I concede this is still more true than not though it used to be even worse. Growing up my town didn't even have a team, I had to play for the next town over until high school (when I was cut during try outs and subsequently gave up on the game).

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

We're getting better at appreciating soccer but truth be told a majority of americans would rather watch minor league baseball then a MLS match.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm so happy for all of you non-Americans right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbU9BZYcg1Y

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

People in WA certainly love their soccer, but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that until two years ago, every WA sports team not named the Sounders was bad and have been bad for decades at this point.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Vladimir Putin posted:

Or immigrants.

Though the funny thing is I don't think Euros get that we're not at all shamed by y'all wagging your fingers at us. If anything it just encourages us to hoot and holler more.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

incoherent posted:

We're getting better at appreciating soccer but truth be told a majority of americans would rather watch minor league baseball then a MLS match.

I've been to a minor league game and I can tell you I would rather shoot myself than watch more minor league baseball.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Badger of Basra posted:

I've been to a minor league game and I can tell you I would rather shoot myself than watch more minor league baseball.

Minor League baseball owns.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ATP_Power posted:

People in WA certainly love their soccer, but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that until two years ago, every WA sports team not named the Sounders was bad and have been bad for decades at this point.

Tacoma Stars owned. Preki came to my class at school.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

I think you did MiLB wrong.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Picked up some Bud Light Lime on the way home. I normally don't drink that vile crap but I assumed it was mandatory since Blatter didn't even last a week.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Northjayhawk posted:

Picked up some Bud Light Lime on the way home. I normally don't drink that vile crap but I assumed it was mandatory since Blatter didn't even last a week.

Should have bought some pbr Lonestar.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Northjayhawk posted:

Don't forge the condition of the bet. You must drink it out of a chalice worthy...

glug glug

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

whiskey patrol posted:

Are we sure Platini is clean? Isn't he the one that was supposedly given the Picasso for supporting the Russian bid or was that a false rumor? I did a quick google search and saw a few articles but not from any sources I trust. He did vote for Qatar in 2022, which doesn't look good.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/05/michel-platini-conspirators-2022-world-cup-bid-uefa

he is probably dirty af, but it remains a question whether he gets implicated in this poo poo, and whether whatever he gets implicated in falls under US jurisdiction (caveat: i don't know how RICO would work re: this)

like, i'm not rooting for him, i'm just saying i reckon he's angling for the big chair

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

one thing this case will do no matter what, though, is destroy the culture of arrogant security that they'd been building up. whoever shows up to replace Blatter & co are almost certainly going to be corrupt as well, but they will be much less flagrantly corrupt

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Bip Roberts posted:

I think you did MiLB wrong.

Seriously, If you are in the stadium before the top of the fourth and you are not loving trashed, you are doing MiLB wrong. You sit in the parking lot and shot-gun beers for the first hour, then heckle whatever lucky fans get the honor of taking part in the Captain Crusty's Crustacean Toss between innings. MiLB rules.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

incoherent posted:

Don't forge the condition of the bet. You must drink it out of a chalice worthy...

glug glug

That is clearly an improper chalice. You want something like this

alpha_destroy posted:

Seriously, If you are in the stadium before the top of the fourth and you are not loving trashed, you are doing MiLB wrong. You sit in the parking lot and shot-gun beers for the first hour, then heckle whatever lucky fans get the honor of taking part in the Captain Crusty's Crustacean Toss between innings. MiLB rules.

I went to a game when I was in High School because Michael Jordan was playing. It sucked and was boring as gently caress. I'm not sure lovely stadium beer would have sufficiently improved the experience.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Gyges posted:

That is clearly an improper chalice. You want something like this

Gotta be American, tho.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

incoherent posted:

I think I'd rather watch women's college basketball.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

adidas doesn't support the WC and I ain't about to throw my boi Martys fly kicks under the bus for a laugh.

whoops mixed up the shoe and apparel rights.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

VideoTapir posted:

Gotta be American, tho.

John mentioned 3 brands that he would partake of, Nike was not one.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gyges posted:

John mentioned 3 brands that he would partake of, Nike was not one.

The sponsors didn't push him out (presumably.) There were conditions for drinking that Budweiser that were not met, so stop drinking it. :barf:

Loretta Lynch is who deserves the handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Xandu posted:

They didn't just pay for the sponsorship, which is obviously totally normal, but that they paid an intermediary millions for arranging it.

Any chance Nike is gonna get hit with FCPA for that?

For those not in the know, FCPA is the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act which makes it extremely illegal to bribe foreign officials (even if the bribe is legal in that country). It's pretty much the worst thing for a company to get smacked with short of RICO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_Corrupt_Practices_Act

evilweasel posted:

Eh, as long as they filed suspicious transaction reports I'm not seeing any banking wrongdoing here.

If FCPA applies it could get fairly nasty, although there hasn't been any real big landmark case that I know about.

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 3, 2015

• Locked thread