Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Infinitum posted:

I think a good rule of thumb moving forward is that if it's a able to be rolled as sub-ability, that ability probably sucks.
Ink saving/recovery is tolerable. So is special charge up

Reiley posted:

I don't mean to badger you on the point but most console shooters have some degree of autoaim or sticky crosshairs to make it easier to aim at things with cumbersome analog sticks and Splatoon specifically does not have these features. There are machineguns with bulletspread and rollers you don't really have to aim but beyond that not learning to tilt the gamepad is putting yourself at an active disadvantage compared to other players, since nothing else is there to help fine-tune your aim.
I use the stick to turn sideways a lot and after a while I was like "You know, I bet I would do fine without gyro controls" and turned them off, and it was absolutely horrible. I couldn't hit anything, I didn't realize just how much unconscious aim adjustment I constantly do with the gyro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah.

As far as I'm concerned, these are all good:
Recon
Stealth jump
Ninja squid
Haunt(echolocation debuff is always good!)

these are ok:
Ink saver(main)
Ink saver(sub)
Ink recovery up
Special Charge up
Special Duration up
Special Saver
Tenacity
Quick Super Jump
Opening Gambit
Last-Ditch Effort(in turf war)
Ink Resistance Up(highly situationally)
Cold-Blooded(if they echolocatin)

these are nearly worthless:
Attack up
Defense up
Quick Respawn
Comeback
Bomb range up(unless you have the proest grenade strats in the world that rely upon higher range somehow)
Run Speed Up
Swim Speed Up
Quick Super Jump
Bomb sniffer(don't walk over enemy ink and you won't touch mines anyways)

I don't agree 1-1 here, but this is the same general thing for me. The "unique" primary abilities (things you can't get as sub abilities like stealth and recon) are generally good, as are the ones that either make you use less ink or regain ink faster (they've spoiled the hell out of me and my Aerospray); being able to spray paint everywhere longer, spend less time recovering ink to spray more paint, and being able to throw out your stuff despite having been spraying paint are all good things. Things reliant on respawning (excluding the super jump stuff which is usable in other situations anyway) are bad, even/especially the ones that only show up in primary slots. Bomb range up is the most disappointing thing to roll, particularly because none of the sets I like use throwable subweapons. Non-ink stat boosts are mediocre, but better rolls than bomb range at least.

Infinitum posted:

I want to experiment a little bit with Ink Resistance because it's fairly helpful if you're using a roller. If it makes wall climbing a little easier I'm all for it.
Tenacity is pretty drat useful as it auto-fills your special when a team member is dead (And it constantly refills when a team member is DC'd)

Can any of the 'good' abilities be rolled as a sub ability on gear? Like could recon or ninja squid appear?

I think sub abilities can only be stat boosts; "unique" effects are limited to the non-random slots.

Sabby23
Nov 10, 2010

Stay fresh!
I'm actually curious what control type/sensitivity people are mainly using right now. Here's a poll of different control setups, answer if you want: http://strawpoll.me/4526057

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I can't imagine liking this game even 1/2 as much of if they didn't wholesale pull the aiming scheme from the Metroid game of NintendoLand. It's pretty much like having a mouse type controller in my living room it's amazing

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

what I'm hearing is that Splatoon is the most hardcore console shooter ever made

truth.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I'd love to fine tune aim with the motion controls, I just wish I could still use the stick to look up and didn't have to rely on re-centering the camera.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Did the server poo poo the bed?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Yup. Time for "maintenance".

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can not get used to the motion controls at all. Believe me I tried, but they just feel super awkward for me. My brother even commented on how bad I was with them when I tried playing with them, so its not just in my head either. So I turn them off when I play. If that's gonna keep me from being a top tier splatter or something, fine. But I find the game a lot more enjoyable when I turn them off and I play better. I did crank the sensitivity up to 5 though.

Also I don't think I saw anyone else mention but for everyone that thinks splat zone should have multiple zones, the skate park is exactly that. Two zones and you have to control both to get points. They're also super small so they can be contested ridiculously easily. In the match I played on it, neither team got below 80 because the zones kept shifting control constantly.

VVV I guess I'll give that a shot. Might as well do that since I'm in the mood for splatting but the servers ain't complying.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 3, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I thought they were super uncomfortable at first too(I had trouble getting out of the tutorial area), but I decided to go through the whole single player with them and that helped a lot.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Needed 5 more points to level up a piece of gear and got kicked from a game in the last 10 seconds. Got into another match "well it'll unlock this time".

Servers went down in the last minute rush. :suicide:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
They need to re-enable the y axis with the motion controls. I just can't use them without it. I keep trying to force myself but I can't do it. If they would just let me use both at once it would be the perfect control scheme why are you so stubborn Nintendo!!!!!! :mad:

Seriously they had the perfect control scheme and then they divided it up into two imperfect ones instead.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Deceptive Thinker posted:

They're pushing an update, maybe they're patching the spyke/judd exploit.

Sabby23
Nov 10, 2010

Stay fresh!

Sabby23 posted:

I'm actually curious what control type/sensitivity people are mainly using right now. Here's a poll of different control setups, answer if you want: http://strawpoll.me/4526057

Almost three times as many motion controls than dual analog so far, kinda more than I expected.

The main problem I'm having with motion controls is that I still feel like I have to use the analog stick for left/right in the middle of fights because I can't look far enough to each side otherwise. Maybe I have my sensitivity set too low if that affects the left/right range of the motion controls?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Sabby23 posted:

Almost three times as many motion controls than dual analog so far, kinda more than I expected.

The main problem I'm having with motion controls is that I still feel like I have to use the analog stick for left/right in the middle of fights because I can't look far enough to each side otherwise. Maybe I have my sensitivity set too low if that affects the left/right range of the motion controls?

I'm not entirely sure sensitivity affects motion controls at all, at least I didn't notice much of a difference when I was messing around with that setting.

And yeah, you should mostly just be using the right stick for most of your aiming/turning and then just fine tuning with the motion controls. Thats the one reason I wish we could play on the gamepad screen really, so you could use motion controls for all aiming entirely without being tied to looking in the direction of the TV.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Messing around with +damage, I think they did some hard coding with it to not reduce the hits it takes to kill. I only have 2 pieces, but as an example, with no +attack, the jet squelcher does 93 in 3 hits and 124 in 4 to an unarmored dude and 88.3 in 3 hits and 117.7 in 4 hits to 1 armor. With 2 attack (main) it goes to 99.9 in 3 and 133.2 in 4 to unarmored and 1 armored opponents.

Can be used to counter +defense on certain guns, like with 1 defense 52 kills in 3 hits instead of 2.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
+placebo effect

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Finally got a chance to play some ranked mode tonight, and drat Splat Zone is dope as hell! I was having trouble on the skatepark at first, but the alternate routes you can create around the edges really help. The N-Zap seems pretty well suited for this mode.

As for stick vs tilt controls, I've been using stick, probably only because I didn't like how turning left and right felt with the gyro. I feel like the only weapons that really need the gyro control are the chargers, and I never snipe anyway so whatever.

Chill Penguin fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 3, 2015

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
You can still turn left and right with the stick with gyro enabled.

Guys, Cold Blooded is a really noticeable bonus especially now that a lot more people are running echolocators. You can tell the effect by seeing how much longer your teammates are tracked than you are. It's like cut in half. It's super good because the opposing team gets a false sense of security, thinking they know where everyone is. It's worth giving a shot, anyway.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Update is out

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

homeless snail posted:

They're pushing an update, maybe they're patching the spyke/judd exploit.

Can you describe it without explicitly stating how to do it? I don't want people doing any Heinous poo poo up in here.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Poultron posted:

Can you describe it without explicitly stating how to do it? I don't want people doing any Heinous poo poo up in here.
You build up a vibe, but before you cash it in you pay Spyke to mug someone/buy snails, then when you talk to Judd you get your vibe bonus + a refund of however much you gave Spyke. Heinous.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

homeless snail posted:

You build up a vibe, but before you cash it in you pay Spyke to mug someone/buy snails, then when you talk to Judd you get your vibe bonus + a refund of however much you gave Spyke. Heinous.

So heinous.

It's apparently fixed anyway, so good work Nintendo for being so on the ball.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So I finally tried out the Aerospray whatever that's bronze and has mines and air strike, first match I lost and I got frustrated that anytime i tried killing someone they'd turn around and shoot me once or twice to kill me, it was like i was a toddler trying to fight some adult who drop kicked me away. Was ready to bail on the weapon then I saw my score. :stwoon: 1293. And my team lost.

Also nothing more satisfying than winning by less than 2% thanks to a panicked airstrike I managed to fill the gauge for and use in the last few seconds.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 3, 2015

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Nintendo fix your servers

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think I might try gyro controls again even though I absolutely hated them at first. I've been playing console shooters forever so my aim is fantastic even without auto aim but I figure it's something different to try. Maybe I'll be even better, who knows. Splatoon is best when you approach it as it's own thing and not any other shooter.

If anyone finds patch notes and wants to post them that would be nice :)

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
The title screen still says 1.0, so the patch clearly isn't up for me yet.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Currently battling the final boss and you people were not exaggerating. This is so.......... INTENSE!!!

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
Don't forget that you can still use the right stick for horizontal camera movement when you're using gyro controls. It helps when you need to orient yourself so you don't have to wave the gamepad all over the place.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

If anyone finds patch notes and wants to post them that would be nice :)
Ver. 1.2.0 [Released 06/02/15]

Adjustments have been made to make for a more pleasant gaming experience.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Squid > Cod holy poo poo

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I'm trying to switch to maining the .96, but years days of playing Jr. and Aero have conditioned me to get right up in the enemy's face so I'm not playing to one of the weapon's strengths, which is range. I keep getting my rear end kicked in by rollers when I shouldn't ever be anywhere near them in the first place.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Did the update do anything

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
It fixed the exploit.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I just got kicked to update

skeletronics posted:

It fixed the exploit.

Well at least they're responsive. If this was Destiny or Battlefield it'd take a month.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

with a dual squelcher I did 28 damage per shot by default, and 28.8 damage with one damage up. that's like... +1/35th damage, and each one you stack on does less and less. I think by half, even.

it kills by four shots default.
with no damage ups, I still killed a dummy that had 3 defense ups in four shots. they didn't make it any slower.
with 3 damage ups, I still killed a dummy that had no defense ups in four shots. they didn't make it any faster.

Some weapons have damage caps it seems. Because a splat roller with two damage up seems to one shot people that have no defense when I shake it now and can one shot roll people with 2 defense up. There is a thing where when you stack abilities the give you less with each one and I think you can only have 3.

codenameFANGIO posted:

I want to say that Defense Up has allowed me to survive Roller collisions in the past. I'll have to do some testing in this.
It does, that why I wanted clothes that had damage up. These was some jerk that had 2 defense up that I had to roll in to twice to splat them. (that when I had no damage up)

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Pro-tip for my fellow dual-stickers: to get fine aiming, pull the classic console-game-without-auto-aim trick of putting your reticule in the correct general area and then fine tuning it by walking/strafing with the left stick rather than aiming with the right stick ;)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

That feeling when you played terribly and feel like you threw the game for the whole team, and you're still the best player on it :negative:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
spyke&some lil squiddy monsters

[x]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Splatzones going to time is the best

• Locked thread