Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

blablablabla posted:

So nothing happened this week except everyone having awesome sex

Well yeah that but, it was also an anchoring point. Now we have all these couplings that have major significance for the future of the characters and the show. I really like this show and how they represent human compassion. Dorian seems to have a true love for Angelique and from there, all of the couplings seem to have significance in moving the story towards it's climax. I just enjoy seeing something that breaks boundaries and lets you enjoy the guilty pleasure of enjoying the taboo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I think the most underrated part of the episode was when Lyle was praying in secret with the Torah, looking over his shoulder as he donned his tallit and yarmulke.

radical meme posted:

Now we have all these couplings that have major significance for the future of the characters and the show.

And Mrs. Poole will soon have a way past all the new defensive measures.

I do wonder if 'Two Face' is now a lycanthrope as well, since he was probably bitten by Ethan.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

blablablabla posted:

So nothing happened this week except everyone having awesome sex

That's basically what I got from this, other than a few more people added to the pile of "Will Attack the Protagonists Soon".

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Ethan's description of the siege was genuinely chilling and I'm still thinking about it today.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Kegslayer posted:

I think the key link is when Frankenstein rocks up with Billy Piper who both Dorian and Werewolf Josh know to be dead.

Frankenstein and Dorian would be a particularly interesting meeting. Here's a character whose story is all about cheating death- and here's a doctor that brings people back from death.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I forgot, does Frankenstein know that Ethan knew Brona?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

hepscat posted:

Ethan's description of the siege was genuinely chilling and I'm still thinking about it today.
In this episode, a lot of people get infiltrated from the inside.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Sucrose posted:

I forgot, does Frankenstein know that Ethan knew Brona?

He does, he called him when she was sick right?

Tamizander Rey
Jul 14, 2004
Gentlemen! Chop off my head with such velocity, that the blood gushing from my neck propels my lifeless body all the way to Phoenix!
Again, I find myself wondering why Dorian is still around.
I'm paying attention, but this is going nowhere except for simulated gay sex.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I thought for sure Sir Malc had cottoned onto Mdm Kali at the first jab of the ring-needle.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Won't Vanessa recognize Poole from their, uh, shared history? And why didn't she recognize her last season? (Or did we cover this gaping plot hole somewhere?)

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Kazanir posted:

Won't Vanessa recognize Poole from their, uh, shared history? And why didn't she recognize her last season? (Or did we cover this gaping plot hole somewhere?)

Pretty sure she's never caught a clear glimpse of her. Poole made sure to cove her face when Vanessa came outside the house (the large hooded robe) and later she was always in the middle or back of a crowd.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
That episode was about 20 minutes of sex.

But congrats to Victor for losing his virginity! :toot:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mouse Dresser posted:

That episode was about 20 minutes of sex.

But congrats to Victor for losing his virginity! :toot:

And he lasted more than a few pumps! I don't care how huge a dead Irish whore's vagina is, thats good for a virgin!

Yudo
May 15, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think the most underrated part of the episode was when Lyle was praying in secret with the Torah, looking over his shoulder as he donned his tallit and yarmulke.

Of course the effete traitor is the one Jewish character.

Seriously he his a great character, but meh.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 2, 2015

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My hope is that he can summon a golem to fight the nightcomers.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Tamizander Rey posted:

Again, I find myself wondering why Dorian is still around.
I'm paying attention, but this is going nowhere except for simulated gay sex.

I liked the character when he was actually part of the show and interacted with other people and storylines from Penny Dreadful instead of being showcased for his own spinoff series

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Binary Logic posted:

My hope is that he can summon a golem to fight the nightcomers.

If we get a giant clay killbeast I will be with this show forever.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Sho.com is selling Penny Dreadful Clue.

http://store.sho.com/penny-dreadful-clue-game/detail.php?p=810674&v=showtime_featured

It has already been birthday requested in my household.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Loved how Caliban was telling Lily that fake story about how they confronted those men asking how the two of them could be together ... and then Dorian pulls the same stunt a little later on.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sober posted:

Loved how Caliban was telling Lily that fake story about how they confronted those men asking how the two of them could be together ... and then Dorian pulls the same stunt a little later on.

Really? I thought that was incredibly ham-fisted. I have hope that Dorian and Angelique will tie into the story somehow, but right now it just seems to be there as a Trans acceptance mouthpiece.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do wonder if 'Two Face' is now a lycanthrope as well, since he was probably bitten by Ethan.

Well it's either that or he'll take up residence in the basement of an opera house.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Dorian is entertaining and, come on people, they're not going to have him off doing his own thing for absolutely the entire season.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

cheerfullydrab posted:

Dorian is entertaining and, come on people, they're not going to have him off doing his own thing for absolutely the entire season.
Dorian will use Angelique to seduce Sir Malcolm away from Madam Kali. :rolldice:

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Took me ages, but I finally got to see the episode, ironically a day before the next episode airs. I find it funny Angelique worries she won't be accepted as chocolate in a vanilla world by the ONE guy who revels in neapolitan. She lucked out. Now to see if she keeps his interest.

"Will you love me like THIS?" (dressed as a guy)

Ummm.... this is Dorian. I think he screwed Ethan in his cowboy gear last season. He doesn't CARE.

Also, I appreciated that intense stare, the cupping of the cheek, then, "LATER," that Vanessa gave Ethan during the whole "Can You Feel The Love Tonight," moments. It just strengthens the relationship to me, in an odd way. I have no idea why.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Wait, the next episode hasn't aired for you guys yet? But it's so much fun, how can they hold it back? :(

Edit: Oh, wait, no. Those are just old posts.

This new episode was indeed so much fun! Much better than the last, and now we know why Dorian was kept around.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 8, 2015

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
So, it seems Hecate has designs of her own. They may turn out to be the only thing saving our heroes from Mdm Kali who is getting her own way so far.

Was Lily meant to look so...trollopy? A subtle way of telling us she has been dressed by a man?

The blood dance was a great scene though.

The werewolf transformation was very poor though - we've waited so long to see it I had hoped they'd make the big reveal spectacular but in the end he just looked a bit like a tall Eddie Munster.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

WastedJoker posted:

The werewolf transformation was very poor though - we've waited so long to see it I had hoped they'd make the big reveal spectacular but in the end he just looked a bit like a tall Eddie Munster.

Yeah, for a dude who's literally an American werewolf in London that really looked cheap and terrible.

If they wanted to end things on a high note they really should have gone with the blood ball. Everyone dancing and laughing completely oblivious to the blood pouring down was evocative as gently caress

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Blood ball scene was awesome.

I can't remember from the first season, was Ethan the only person to know the old Lily?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Blood ball scene was awesome.

I can't remember from the first season, was Ethan the only person to know the old Lily?

Dorian and mr wolfie there were the only people to know her since before, I think.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

Dorian and mr wolfie there were the only people to know her since before, I think.

Ah, ok. That explains Dorian flitting away from Angelique to Lily. Banging a reanimated corpse is way more transgressive.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
They've kind of played fast and loose with people's memories this season though granted, meeting someone who looks a lot like someone you've met before but sounds completely different and seems to have no idea who you are would probably throw most people off. I'm pretty sure Vanessa has met Lily as well though from when she ran into her and Ethan on their date, so they've set up quite a lot of near misses for Lily regaining her memory.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

VDay posted:

They've kind of played fast and loose with people's memories this season though granted, meeting someone who looks a lot like someone you've met before but sounds completely different and seems to have no idea who you are would probably throw most people off. I'm pretty sure Vanessa has met Lily as well though from when she ran into her and Ethan on their date, so they've set up quite a lot of near misses for Lily regaining her memory.
You're always bound to bump into someone who's pretty much a doppleganger of someone you know and unless you know them really well I think you can easily make the mistake. Happened to me just last weekend (also because they would at least maybe recognize you too or make the effort as well).

I think Dorian has only met Brona once or twice (had sex, then at the theatre). Vanessa also at the theatre just that once I think. I think the only one would who actually know Lily was Brona would probably be Ethan, who spent the most time with her and all that.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I actually liked the Wolf-Man look. It reminded me of Oliver Reed's make-up in The Curse of the Werewolf. https://mikestakeonthemovies.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/curse-of-the-werewolf-hammer-horror-films-3739574-800-431.jpg

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I actually liked the Wolf-Man look. It reminded me of Oliver Reed's make-up in The Curse of the Werewolf. https://mikestakeonthemovies.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/curse-of-the-werewolf-hammer-horror-films-3739574-800-431.jpg

While I applaud the makeup department for repurposing Timothy Dalton's beard, lovely contacts and a hairy back does not a werewolf make. :saddowns:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's pretty dumb of Frankenstein to take Lily to that ball though. If it wasn't Werewolf Night for Ethan, he would have been there, and I assume Frankenstein doesn't want Ethan calling him on re-animating his dead girlfriend.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Holy poo poo the blood ball was everything I have ever wanted from this show.

I wonder how hard it was to film. KEEP DANCING! IGNORE THE BLOOD AND KEEP DANCING!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I loved Sir Malcom's response to the last of his family dying.

"Damnit, I'm going to have to replace the carpet. She died slitting her throat with my razor? Speaking of razors, I should shave my beard! Look younger for my sweetie."

Poor Vanessa. Shot down right at the beginning by Sir Malcolm, then can't even get a first dance with Frankenstein, then when she asks Chandler, he dangles a maybe, then shoots her down without even an excuse. So she has to go it alone. Nice little decorative touch by the designers of the show with the little silver scorpion dangling from the top of Vanessa's coif.

Finally, holy poo poo, that blood dance scene was amazing. So many dresses and tuxes and the stage. It had to be done right in ONE take, don't you think? And look at Eva Green's eyes! They were filling with whatever they were using for the blood. I was freaking the gently caress out over that. Her poor eyes, jesus.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I have to believe the blood ball was mostly CGI. Cause no way someone is gonna want to mess up that set and then have to be responsible for hosing it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

That would have to be some godamn impressive cg or compositing for a tv show then, because it was on the pages, violins, paintings, their feet were splashing it up, etc. I just had my mouth open like 'what, the whole set, and all the extras, and everything :eyepop:'

• Locked thread