Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Watching this week's episode now and Liv lying about zombies straight to Major's face while someone inside the mental hospital murders people who knows about zombies and then leaving is darkly hilarious/tragic.

The only thing better is Liv actually going crazy right after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

The weatherman was the best part of this episode.

Daran Norris is great in Veronica Mars too :>.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

OK, that was bloody hilarious.

And Rob Thomas is a mystery master for pulling the rug out from under us just when it looked like some plots were about to start wrapping up.

EDIT: Also hoping Season 2 has a global conspiracy storyline because clearly the CDC has ulterior motives in firing a someone so dangerously handsome brilliant as to cure a totally novel infectious disease inside of a few months. :colbert:

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 27, 2015

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Rob Thomas is really good at misdirection, it seems; he and his writers were good at it in Veronica Mars, they're decent at it in cases of the week of this show, and this episode in particular was like a master class in it. And Daran Norris is wonderful as always, of course.

This show is pretty great; while it's not very deep or hilarious, it's probably the most "fun" show currently airing. All the characters are good and my only issue is what seems to be a CW policy of main characters not keeping their love interests in the loop. I don't have a lot else to say about the show but really, this thread deserves more activity.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Killer final scene.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I hate fakeouts where the show pretends to move forward but then backpedals due to timetravel/delusions/amnesia/other bouts of fuckery.

But goddamn, if you're going to do it this is the way to do it. Especially great because Major isn't just reset to ground zero - he's still barreling ahead.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That was an impressively smart bit of television there. Towards the end I was thinking that they'd kind of wasted the Brain of the Week but then it all came together at the end so well.

I wonder how much of the story they plan to wrap up for the end of the season. The serial story is coming together really well and I'm hoping that doesn't get lost once they're done with Blaine.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I love all the Veronica Mars cameos, i hope they continue. Also, as other have said that fakeout was pretty good.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder if she'll come clean now? I was really impressed that they didn't keep stringing him along forever, and then it was just a hallucination. It's really time for them to start working together.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think the hallucination means we'll never get a scene where Liv is the one to tell Major that she's a zombie. Maybe Blaine or Ravi does it, or maybe he dies before he finds out (though I doubt that).

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I can't belive it, but at some point I really started to like Major. In the beginning I thouhgt he was a bland muscular love interest, but the show really kept shtting on him until I wanted him to win at some point. He is an allright dude and Liv is an rear end in a top hat for not telling him, before he had to question his sanity. The sad thing about this is that will die next episode...

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Argue posted:

Rob Thomas is really good at misdirection, it seems; he and his writers were good at it in Veronica Mars, they're decent at it in cases of the week of this show, and this episode in particular was like a master class in it. And Daran Norris is wonderful as always, of course.

This show is pretty great; while it's not very deep or hilarious, it's probably the most "fun" show currently airing. All the characters are good and my only issue is what seems to be a CW policy of main characters not keeping their love interests in the loop. I don't have a lot else to say about the show but really, this thread deserves more activity.
They might keep Major out of the loop but they give him actual material to work with, unlike say Arrow/Flash where whoever is being kept in the dark doesn't really do much except have a scene where they basically tell us they know nothing important.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Air is lava! posted:

The sad thing about this is that will die next episode...

The ultimate way for life to finally poo poo on you. That's probably how this show is going to go and the final impetus for Liv to finally get off her rear end and kill Blaine instead of being very wishy-washy over the entire thing.

Also, this doctor killed a patient to keep her secret, prescribed medication illegally for use in sales to someone stealing from patients to continue her subterfuge, as she was sleeping with a patient who wasn't in the correct state of mind to consent. How is it said child isn't going to come up as something in the criminal court proceedings? That was a huge pile of what the gently caress.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the point was that if they don't bring up paternity the kid would go to her husband since he would be assumed to be the actual father.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Wow I can't believe (spoiler for Astroburger) I got Sixth Sense'd in the year 2015. I skimmed back through the episode afterwards and they play it totally straight - the delusions never interact with anything. Well played, pro-tier misdirection.

I'll agree with everyone else that they took Generic Handsome Man "Major Lilywhite" and turned him into a sympathetic, likable, interesting character. This is a better show than it has any right to be.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pan Dulce posted:

Also, this doctor killed a patient to keep her secret, prescribed medication illegally for use in sales to someone stealing from patients to continue her subterfuge, as she was sleeping with a patient who wasn't in the correct state of mind to consent. How is it said child isn't going to come up as something in the criminal court proceedings? That was a huge pile of what the gently caress.

Cops lie to get confessions.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Liv's "real" personality seems a bit selfish over time though. Keeping her condition a secret when she was the only one made sense. Her best case scenario if she goes public is being locked in quarantine by the CDC until they find a cure, and it might not be curable. Worse case is death or being locked up as a guinea pig for some DOD hell project to make zombie soldiers or something. Fair enough.

Then she finds out there are other zombies. Lots of other zombies. Zombism is highly contagious and being deliberately spread, plus there is always the chance of more spontaneous cases if someone mixes tainted street drugs with a popular energy drink. Some of the other zombies are mass murderers deliberately targeting kids. Her friend's life is in danger and he thinks he's losing his mind. Still she keeps it all a secret, because bad things could happen to her if the zombie thing became public.

She didn't kill Blaine because she didn't want to be a killer, but she'd already put a bullet in her close friend zombie Marcie. If killing zombies is murder, she's already a murderer. She knows for a fact that Blaine has personally murdered lots of kids, as far as we know zombie Marcie hasn't killed anyone at all. Marcie was a more deteriorated zombie who may not have been treatable, but they didn't even seriously try. She killed Marcie because it would be hard to safely and secretly contain her for treatment. A shambler would probably be really valuable for research purposes, but that would necessitate bringing in the CDC. Okay, she was on sociopath brain at the time, but she doesn't feel bad about it later. Marcie died to keep the secret.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

I agree not killing Blaine was dumb as poo poo. But I thought the rationale for not alerting the wider world about zombisim was less about Liv's own well-being, and more about not wanting to start a debilitating panic throughout the city/state/country/world.

Still, yeah, a quiet call to the CDC would be prudent when you really think about it.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

FoxTerrier posted:

I agree not killing Blaine was dumb as poo poo. But I thought the rationale for not alerting the wider world about zombisim was less about Liv's own well-being, and more about not wanting to start a debilitating panic throughout the city/state/country/world.

Still, yeah, a quiet call to the CDC would be prudent when you really think about it.

But wouldn't the CDC eventually have to pass further up the food-chain?

Which means... you want to get politicians involved in this zombie mess. :stare:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Klaus88 posted:

But wouldn't the CDC eventually have to pass further up the food-chain?

Which means... you want to get politicians involved in this zombie mess. :stare:

The alternative is letting Blaine slowly convert every public official to team zombie.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

You could go one step further and get the World Health Organization involved in it, theoretically, as it's a new strain of virus that has potential to infect masses.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I love how the show justifies why Blaine doesn't murder Ravi - he's marginally interested in a cure.

Blaine's plan is also one hell of a conundrum; season two almost certainly has to be "What happens when a bunch of zombies no longer have a food source"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Narcissus1916 posted:

I love how the show justifies why Blaine doesn't murder Ravi - he's marginally interested in a cure.

Blaine's plan is also one hell of a conundrum; season two almost certainly has to be "What happens when a bunch of zombies no longer have a food source"

Gee, maybe the former CDC employee will notify appropriate health organizations to deal with the problem. Right? Right?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Angela Christine posted:

Gee, maybe the former CDC employee will notify appropriate health organizations to deal with the problem. Right? Right?

You mean the appropriate health organizations that fired him for talking about zombies in the first place?

Edit: Ravi is seriously the worst person to try and bring attention to the zombie problem seeing as anyone checks up on his credentials they'll just see him as a zombie nut.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 29, 2015

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think the hallucination means we'll never get a scene where Liv is the one to tell Major that she's a zombie. Maybe Blaine or Ravi does it, or maybe he dies before he finds out (though I doubt that).

Slade Wilson will just show up at his door one day...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I doubt they'll kill Major, he does get his own bit in the opening.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They just add "The ex-fiancee's murder" to the opening montage so they can continue making GBS threads on him every episode .

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Art for tomorrow!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, somebody has been CW typecast.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I LIVE, AGAIN! :zombie:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

"You've got spirit"
"Yes, I do"

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

A certain recent law change really benefited that stoner. :weed:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Major really going down a path here.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

God dammit Major, don't you know grenades are useless against zombies?

EDIT: This episode is loaded down with pop references.

Klaus88 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 3, 2015

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

....annnnd everyone is boned.

I'll admit to being way sadder about Payton leaving than Major being turned into a popsicle tho. That was the worst.:(

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
When they stick the landing next week this'll be one of the coolest 13-episode runs in recent memory. Propulsive story, cracking dialogue, an original and interesting take on the zombie mythos, man it may not be deep but this thing has hummed along.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Klaus88 posted:

God dammit Major, don't you know grenades are useless against zombies?

EDIT: This episode is loaded down with pop references.

Always get the grenade Major. Always. :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DivisionPost posted:

When they stick the landing next week this'll be one of the coolest 13-episode runs in recent memory. Propulsive story, cracking dialogue, an original and interesting take on the zombie mythos, man it may not be deep but this thing has hummed along.

Yeah as a package this season has been really strong. Great episode, that look on Peyton's face was heartbreaking :smith:

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Just started catchup up on this show and had to pop in to say "Meat Cute"? Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
They're going to off Major and I'm going to be really upset about it

• Locked thread