Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

If you were to create a magic weapon using components from past creatures you killed, such a a wyvern and rust monster, what would you want?

I'm thinking paralysis poison on hit (wyvern), destroy nonmagic metal on hit, and have some sort of metal detecting smell/sense for the wielder?

Big ol' gauntlet that devours the armor of guys you punch, and turns it into metal spikes you can shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
^^ That sounds pretty awesome.

Headband of the Knight Eater: This leather headband is tipped by two of the most feared sights for an armour clad adventurer: the antennae of a Rust Monster. Their powers have faded, and they can no longer be directed to strike at targets, but should an enemy weapon swing too close, they twitch with a semblance of life and snatch at the prize meal.

Mechanics: Whenever an enemy attacks you with a metal weapon and rolls a 1, they have swung within reach of the antenna. A mundane weapon is immediately consumed, if magical it is reduced in potency by one step (so a +3 becomes a +2, a +1 becomes mundane). The metal meal immediately allows you to restores 1HD of health.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Splicer posted:

I am, but MonsieurChoc is (I think) saying that there's no difference between the current rules and the hypothetical rules if you play a race/class combo with non-optimal ability boosts. Which is wrong.

Yeah, I gad misunderstood some of the factors and so was completely wrong.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

mastershakeman posted:

If you were to create a magic weapon using components from past creatures you killed, such a a wyvern and rust monster, what would you want?

I'm thinking paralysis poison on hit (wyvern), destroy nonmagic metal on hit, and have some sort of metal detecting smell/sense for the wielder?
Sure it can poison people but it makes you squeel/squak like a lizard chicken whenever you get stressed. And the weapon is great at breaking down metal objects, but you just cant look away from all that shiny metal... ever.

1e artifacts forever!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FRINGE posted:

Sure it can poison people but it makes you squeel/squak like a lizard chicken whenever you get stressed. And the weapon is great at breaking down metal objects, but you just cant look away from all that shiny metal... ever.

1e artifacts forever!

I don't how 1e, what specifically are you referencing?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

I don't how 1e, what specifically are you referencing?
The original "Artifacts and Relics" tables had large lists of (sometimes unique in the system) powers that you would roll for, but they always had a chance to include some terrible drawbacks.

So you could end up with a rod that "turned bones into jelly", but it also might make you grow feathers and permanently lose Strength/Wisdom/whatever sporadically.

Famously "The Machine of Lum the Mad" had a huge list of powers, as well as curses.

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 2, 2015

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

FRINGE posted:

The original "Artifacts and Relics" tables had large lists of (sometimes unique in the system) powers that you would roll for, but they always had a chance to include some terrible drawbacks.

So you could end up with a rod that "turned bones into jelly", but it also might make you grow feathers and permanently lose Strength/Wisdom/whatever sporadically.

Famously "The Machine of Lum the Mad" had a huge list of powers, as well as curses.

I always wondered if anyone actually did that, and if any player actually sat there going through the controls. "Okay, I'm gonna try lever 13 and switch 5 at the same time. What happens?" "Uh, you seem to be rotting."

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

So I am organizing a game using D&D 5e with myself and six friends. I've never played before, two other players have. One of them will be DMing, but all of their experience is with 3.5e, so we are all going in somewhat blind.

The plan is just to do the Hoard of the Dragon Queen.

This week is all character creation and such, we'll meet up on Sunday to get started if the DM is ready, we have an email chain started to discuss it if anyone has questions. As far as resources go, we have everything on 5e that WotC offers, as far as I am aware, but I am looking for a decent listing of possible factions and breakdowns of some options for factions that people can be members of, but I am having trouble finding any. Is the faction thing a new mechanic? I get the impression that Background, Personality Trait, Ideal, Bond, and Flaw are new aspects of the game, insofar as they are a little more structured so as to encourage roleplaying where before they were just kind of ad hoc.

What are some things people can recommend that might be helpful to a bunch of newbies? I already found a site with a bunch of spells in formats for printing out as cards which seems extremely helpful, but I worry that I am missing some handy stuff that wasn't mentioned in the OP or put out by WotC.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If you haven't already, you should check the NEXT for newbies thread.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Keshik posted:

What are some things people can recommend that might be helpful to a bunch of newbies? I already found a site with a bunch of spells in formats for printing out as cards which seems extremely helpful, but I worry that I am missing some handy stuff that wasn't mentioned in the OP or put out by WotC.
"D&D 5 Spellbook Cards" and "Fifth Edition Character Sheet" are good android resources. Free with ads or pay to get rid of the ads (and add leveling functionality to the second one).

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I was in Barnes & Noble today and saw this. I had no idea 5E was out and picked it up on a whim. I haven't played since 3E. I really like how everything seems streamlined and races/classes have been expanded in the core book. Monk looks really interesting now. I really think the path system is an interesting alternate to prestige classes. Someone should totally make a low level, like 1-3 5E game!

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I was in Barnes & Noble today and saw this. I had no idea 5E was out and picked it up on a whim. I haven't played since 3E. I really like how everything seems streamlined and races/classes have been expanded in the core book. Monk looks really interesting now. I really think the path system is an interesting alternate to prestige classes. Someone should totally make a low level, like 1-3 5E game!

:allears:

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Monks are good, Fighters and Rogues are bad, any class with spellcasting is great (Bard being the best), and levels 1 and 2 are both the most boring and most lethal levels in the game.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Generic Octopus posted:

Monks are good, Fighters and Rogues are bad, any class with spellcasting is great (Bard being the best), and levels 1 and 2 are both the most boring and most lethal levels in the game.

I could see how Bard is the best, but Warlock is new and interesting!

What makes Fighters bad? Is it just swinging things at things pales compared to the stupid power levels of spellcasters at high levels?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arrgytehpirate posted:

What makes Fighters bad? Is it just swinging things at things pales compared to the stupid power levels of spellcasters at high levels?

Yes.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

The Fighter's advantage over other classes is supposed to be that it makes more attacks, but this isn't actually true until level 11 when it can attack 3 times per Attack action (and even then, by level 5 the Monk can churn out 4 with Flurry, something the Fighter won't be doing until level 20). It offers no other significant advantages compared to other martials, as it's archetypes range from actively horrible (Champion) to mediocre (Battle Master; the reason is short rests are too infrequent) to pointless (E.Knight is a worse Bard).

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Even at low levels a well-chosen spell can completely destroy an encounter. And the spell preparation rules are forgiving enough that even low level spellcasters generally end up with a good variety to choose from.

Also compare things like the light domain Cleric's level two (party friendly) explosion to basically anything a martial character gets at a similar level.

Not to damp your enthusiasm. If you really dug 3e then 5e is probably right up your alley. They have made a few streamlining improvements to the game. But if there's a system-related reason you stopped playing, just know that a lot of the same issues are back.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

ImpactVector posted:

Even at low levels a well-chosen spell can completely destroy an encounter. And the spell preparation rules are forgiving enough that even low level spellcasters generally end up with a good variety to choose from.

Also compare things like the light domain Cleric's level two (party friendly) explosion to basically anything a martial character gets at a similar level.

Not to damp your enthusiasm. If you really dug 3e then 5e is probably right up your alley. They have made a few streamlining improvements to the game. But if there's a system-related reason you stopped playing, just know that a lot of the same issues are back.

I have always played more for the story relying a good bit on DM-May-I but I just moved away from my group and the next one I tried was awful. The one Pathfinder? Play by Post I tried died after like a week or some poo poo. Then I tried to host one and it died in like a week because I am awful at DMing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I have always played more for the story relying a good bit on DM-May-I but I just moved away from my group and the next one I tried was awful. The one Pathfinder? Play by Post I tried died after like a week or some poo poo. Then I tried to host one and it died in like a week because I am awful at DMing.
The issue with "DM-May-I" is that some classes (wizards, druids etc) have a lot more "Because"s and "With-My"s than others.

If you're all about the story there are better games to be an elf in. Blah blah Dungeon World blah blah FATE blah blah 13th Age blah blah Torchbearer blah blah

e: there are way worse games out there too though.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 2, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Right, the only way the game itself 'allows' fighters to interact with the system is by hitting things marginally more often than other classes. All the casters have spells and abilities that allow them to tell the DM "this is what happens". Fighters have to bargain with the DM for their agency and it's not really a fun battle.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Generic Octopus posted:

The Fighter's advantage over other classes is supposed to be that it makes more attacks, but this isn't actually true until level 11 when it can attack 3 times per Attack action (and even then, by level 5 the Monk can churn out 4 with Flurry, something the Fighter won't be doing until level 20). It offers no other significant advantages compared to other martials, as it's archetypes range from actively horrible (Champion) to mediocre (Battle Master; the reason is short rests are too infrequent) to pointless (E.Knight is a worse Bard).

It's really telling that fighters are supposed to be "best at fighting" so they made sure they wouldn't be good at skills, and (of course) they didn't get spellcasting. But then they gave them the same BAB as everyone else, thus making them (at best) on the same par as other classes at fighting, while being actively lovely at the rest of the game.

Oh, and the lack of charging basically means ranged combat = best combat. Archery fighting style and SWAT builds just compounds this.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

We played a game over the weekend. We changed short rests to 5-10 minutes and it helped a lot. Not as good as having meaningful non combat options for fighters, mind, but it took the edge off.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Mendrian posted:

We played a game over the weekend. We changed short rests to 5-10 minutes and it helped a lot. Not as good as having meaningful non combat options for fighters, mind, but it took the edge off.

Unless you make it something specific to the fighter/fighter abilities then reducing the time gate just makes Monks and Warlocks way way better.

e: not to say it's a bad idea to make short rests, y'know, short, but the battlemaster is still in rough shape compared to other short-rest oriented classes.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 2, 2015

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Is warlock a substandard magic class or is it just boring (eldritch blast all day er'yday)?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the thing about making Short Rests shorter is that even if it's absolutely a good idea, it's also a tacit admission that the Champion and Eldritch Knight are pretty bad and Fighters are pigeonholed into being Battlemasters.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Is warlock a substandard magic class or is it just boring (eldritch blast all day er'yday)?

How good Warlock is will vary with how many short rests your DM gives you between long rests (a lot and you can sling strong spells pretty consistently, too few and you might wish you were a wizard or sorcerer), but they've got pretty solid at-will capability/utility via their invocations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

P.d0t posted:

SWAT builds

Is this "hand crossbow and shield"?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Generic Octopus posted:

How good Warlock is will vary with how many short rests your DM gives you between long rests (a lot and you can sling strong spells pretty consistently, too few and you might wish you were a wizard or sorcerer), but they've got pretty solid at-will capability/utility via their invocations.
We found that Detect Magic at will is ridiculously useful to have in the party.

That said, it wouldn't be my first choice of class. I'm pretty biased towards having lots of choices though.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Would a way to boost fighters and make them a bit less poo poo be to add a "recovery" period? Kind of a short-short rest following a battle that lets martials catch their breath (and regain their Superiority Dice), but doesn't do anything for casters, who still have to wait for a proper rest. Just make it an automatic thing once the fight ends: you wiped away the blood, wrapped a bandage over any cuts, and bam, got your dice back. It would even be in the spirit of the old editions, as I'm sure 1e and possibly even BX said something about the remainder of a turn after combat being time to recover.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yes, that would be one way. It would be fairly ineffectual against the wider issues of agency and mother-may-I, but it would certainly help.

What it would not do is make it past the hordes of angry grogs.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Generic Octopus posted:

Unless you make it something specific to the fighter/fighter abilities then reducing the time gate just makes Monks and Warlocks way way better.

Not Monks. Oddly enough their ki recharges specifically through 30-minute meditations. So even if you make a short rest 5 seconds, the Monk won't benefit without houseruling that particular class feature.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Payndz posted:

Would a way to boost fighters and make them a bit less poo poo be to add a "recovery" period? Kind of a short-short rest following a battle that lets martials catch their breath (and regain their Superiority Dice), but doesn't do anything for casters, who still have to wait for a proper rest. Just make it an automatic thing once the fight ends: you wiped away the blood, wrapped a bandage over any cuts, and bam, got your dice back. It would even be in the spirit of the old editions, as I'm sure 1e and possibly even BX said something about the remainder of a turn after combat being time to recover.

IIRC, gradenko mentioned that there's a variant rule in the DMG where SD recharge whenever you roll initiative... and there's also a variant rule where you roll initiative every round :getin:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I wonder if they put bad rules like those in intentionally so that DMs would have the opportunity to fix them.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
No, they put them in without thinking knowing they could always say "You can houserule it to whatever you want!"

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Is this "hand crossbow and shield"?
Its when you specialize in kicking in hovel doors and killing dogs.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Generic Octopus posted:

Well I've been playing a Monk for about a half a year incorrectly.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Just remember Arrgytehpirate, if it feels good then it's your D&D

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Sage Genesis posted:

Not Monks. Oddly enough their ki recharges specifically through 30-minute meditations.

True, I remembered it as meditating for half the short rest.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

P.d0t posted:

IIRC, gradenko mentioned that there's a variant rule in the DMG where SD recharge whenever you roll initiative... and there's also a variant rule where you roll initiative every round :getin:

Spells back during a short rest. Rewrite the encounter table to be all dragons.

Drink from the fire hose.

goatface posted:

No, they put them in without thinking knowing they could always say "You can houserule it to whatever you want!"

Empowering the DM seems a lot like empowering the designers to be as lazy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odinson
Mar 17, 2009

Keep in mind that Hoard was written when some of the rules and monsters weren't fully developed and some things were lost between writers and the publisher. Here are a few links you should email the DM.

http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com/2014/10/tyranny-of-dragons-guide-to-hoard-of.html
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?1909-HOARD-OF-THE-DRAGON-QUEEN-Author-Steve-Winter-Clarifies-A-Few-Points!#.VW6CzkZFvrk
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/109184/errata-and-clarifications-fan-compiled

Backgrounds are a little more important than the other new things you listed because they give you skill proficiencies on top of the other fluff stuff.
Factions aren't really that big of a deal in the published module, so you guys pick one that fits your character.

https://dnd.wizards.com/dungeons-and-dragons/story/faction/harpers

3.5 ---> 5 Transition. I've personally never played non-5e tabletop D&D more than a few sessions, so I can't confirm this link is correct. There should be other easily searchable similar lists.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/29tysg/35e_to_5e_summary_of_differences/

Other 5e forums/sites. I'm not really vouching for any of these other sites, but they're out there.
http://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext There are a few other DM and worldbuilding subreddits as well. (dnd next was the nickname for 5e during the playtests btw, so you will see some overlap online)
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?63-D-amp-D-5e-Next
http://community.wizards.com/forums/61981 I mostly browse the charop secion
http://www.enworld.org/forum/forum.php Has a few 5e subforums.
http://forum.rpg.net/forumdisplay.php?89-Dungeons-amp-Dragons-Fantasy-D20-Spotlight Have this one bookmarked, but never really check up on it