Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Chantilly Say posted:

I'd be pretty surprised if anything Walker wears is tailored, and it obviously doesn't need to be because dressing well is not his job. The basic rules of professional dress, though, act as a filter, a sort of warning system: if he can't remember which buttons to fasten on a jacket, what else can't he remember?

Hey man, remembering what to do with three things is tough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Chantilly Say posted:

I'd be pretty surprised if anything Walker wears is tailored, and it obviously doesn't need to be because dressing well is not his job. The basic rules of professional dress, though, act as a filter, a sort of warning system: if he can't remember which buttons to fasten on a jacket, what else can't he remember?

The "it's 3 am, who do you want buttoning your suit" rule of presidential politics.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Chantilly Say posted:

The basic rules of professional dress, though, act as a filter, a sort of warning system: if he can't remember which buttons to fasten on a jacket, what else can't he remember?

Plenty of super competent, highly effective people don't give a single flying gently caress about fashion, and shaming them is really stupid, but it's one of those lovely social contracts you have to deal with. That is, until someone gets so powerful or successful that they can say "gently caress all your social norms" like Steve Jobs did or Mark Zuckerberg and Louis CK do by basically inventing their own "this is me not giving a gently caress" uniforms. Even Obama has said that he has pared down his wardrobe to a handful of nearly identical suits, because he doesn't want to have to make decisions about what he wears (and because he's rich and can afford to have a small stable of nearly identical, professionally tailored, well-made suits).

Granted, Walker is not one of those successful people, and it's not exactly a secret that when running for president, people expect you to stick to the established expensive professional attire deemed appropriate for politicians. It's just that outside of a truly comical set of clothing, wardrobes meant for optics that backfire, or something like wearing an "I hate N--" sandwhichboard, fretting over how well someone's suits fit is such a bougie loving thing.

A bad suit I cannot give a poo poo about :

A pretty comical use of clothing by a politician:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

mlmp08 posted:

It's just that outside of a truly comical set of clothing, wardrobes meant for optics that backfire, or something like wearing an "I hate N--" sandwhichboard, fretting over how well someone's suits fit is such a bougie loving thing.

Guess what? This country is bougie as gently caress.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Someone doesn't care about how luxe the fabrics look.

I need all of my politicians to wear clothes that have amazing hand-feel.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Poorly cut, bland, and ill-fitting suits are the silent majority.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Other things past politicians have forgotten:

-The third one
-How many houses owned
-whether or not they took sniper fire
-having sexual relations with that woman
-about all those weapons traded for hostages
-what a "red line" is
-to not just eat grits and gravy all day even after writing a book about how you shouldn't do that
-a magazine, literally any print item, that has ever been read by said politician
-how to spell Ubeki-beki-beki-stan-stan (sp?)

Walker's a buffoon, but in the world of politics, a button isn't much to worry about.

Nintendo Kid posted:

True.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Bernie Sanders can't even run a comb through his hair half the time, how can we expect him to pay attention to detail when it comes to his economic plan?

Now you understand how dumb this argument is.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
"I only comb the top 1% of the top 10% of the hair on my head as a demonstration of how messy inequality looks."

-Bernie Sanders

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 3, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Bernie Sanders can't even run a comb through his hair half the time, how can we expect him to pay attention to detail when it comes to his economic plan?

Yeah, and that's one of many reasons people constantly say Bernie doesn't have a shot at it. But Bernie Sanders is running on an extremely progressive platform which differs significantly from mainstream politicians. He has his own niche carved out, whereas Walker is a wonderbread candidate with nothing to really set him apart from his many many competitors except for his love of unions and asymmetrical eyeballs.

Bernie Sanders can afford to look weird, because he's not a complete idiot.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ignite Memories posted:

Bernie Sanders can afford to look weird, because he's not a complete idiot.

In the sense that anyone who will never in a million years be president can afford to fail to look like your standard candidate, I suppose that's true.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Joementum posted:

Move aside, Scott Walker.

$10 says he referred to it as "local cuisine" without joking

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think it's okay to make fun of the fact that he looks like a ten year old wearing his grandfather's suit jacket but to imply it means anything about his policies is pretty bogus.

mlmp08 posted:

"I only comb the top 1% of the top 10% of the hair on my head as a demonstration of how messy inequality looks."

-Bernie Sanders

"The bald 60 percent of my head only gets 2.3 percent of the attention!"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Drudge posting shirtless O'Malley status: still funny.

Well that's the most blatantly closeted thing I've seen today--

:stare: It was, anyway.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Bicyclops posted:

I think it's okay to make fun of the fact that he looks like a ten year old wearing his grandfather's suit jacket but to imply it means anything about his policies is pretty bogus.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is saying Walker is bad because he dresses bad. He's bad for a million other reasons. But this is a thread about the primary and part of campaigning is looking the part, so I'm having trouble seeing how mocking a grown-rear end man who ostensibly wants to be President for looking like a little boy trying on daddy's suit is somehow unfair.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

I think I'd vote for this guy.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

I do not think Bernie Sanders should be the President of the United States.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Wait, who is that? I'm dangerously close to suddenly understanding a 20-year-old joke from Doug.

edit: aha, filename says David Byrne. I'm kinda surprised they squeezed a talking heads reference in there.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
It's David Byrne from the Talking Heads.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Ignite Memories posted:

Wait, who is that? I'm dangerously close to suddenly understanding a 20-year-old joke from Doug.

edit: aha, filename says David Byrne. I'm kinda surprised they squeezed a talking heads reference in there.

let me just stop the thread for a second to tell you to watch Stop Making Sense. Today.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It's like 60 minutes on Acid!

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

Chantilly Say posted:

It's like 60 minutes on Acid!

But if you watch it, you may become predisposed to having a relationship with a lamp. :nixon:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Certain people in this thread get really bent out of shape whenever a political candidates image is the target of jokes, but image is a pretty big part of modern campaigning (ask Nixon). Ringing our hands over whether we're being excessively "bougie" is also pretty ridiculous. Having the privilege to put down money towards a humor forum that we can fritter away our leisure hours with already puts us all in that boat. And trust me, having been educated in public schools in Harlem, poor kids understand the cost of making fashion mistakes.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

He at least seems to have started combing it since announcing he's running for president.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Ringing our hands over whether we're being excessively "bougie" is also pretty ridiculous. Having the privilege to put down money towards a humor forum that we can fritter away our leisure hours with already puts us all in that boat. And trust me, having been educated in public schools in Harlem, poor kids understand the cost of making fashion mistakes.

Wait I could've paid fifteen bucks for tailored suits instead of for my account and first avatar? I made a poor choice.

I fully understand that image is important. It's just very boring and elitist to me unless someone is going full Vermin Supreme.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I don't think it's elitist to expect a grown man in the public eye who isn't dead broke to understand how the clothes he's wearing work. It's going around with your shoes untied.

It's not like people are expecting him to color-match the latest men's fashion fad.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Nintendo Kid posted:

I don't think it's elitist to expect a grown man in the public eye who isn't dead broke to understand how the clothes he's wearing work. It's going around with your shoes untied.

It's not like people are expecting him to color-match the latest men's fashion fad.

So do you :fishmech: about things like this irl too?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

So do you :fishmech: about things like this irl too?

Ah yes, dressing yourself without loving up the fasteners: truly something people don't do normally.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

Ah yes, dressing yourself without loving up the fasteners: truly something people don't do normally.

Look, even interns manage to button their suits properly, and they're barely people.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Bernie is apparently pushing for the DNC to join the RNC in having a billion debates starting ASAP.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Bernie is apparently pushing for the DNC to join the RNC in having a billion debates starting ASAP.

Well, yeah. The more debates he gets to participate in, the more he gets to steer the narrative. It's his whole reason for running, after all.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Nintendo Kid posted:

So... yes. And just to be clear I always wear tshirts, elastic waistband shorts and velcro shoes so I can't ever do it wrong :colbert:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

jeb bush looks like poo poo

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

jeb bush looks like poo poo

From that angle he looks like Donald Rumsfeld.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I want that girl to ask him to kneel down so she can whisper "deadlocked convention, Romney as the compromise candidate" into his ear

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If you know Lincoln Chafee's Facebook password please contact his wife. They're trying to update the page for his Presidential campaign. Thanks!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

quote:

His gubernatorial page has about 6,100 likes and a verified checkmark, but hasn't had anyone posting to it since October. Chafee left office in January after serving one term. His 2016 Facebook page has fewer than 200 likes.

Ahahahahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Ladies and gentlemen, the fourth-place candidate in the Democratic primary.

• Locked thread