Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

mulodyne posted:

Did they turn off double EXP just for today?

Yes, basically. It will be back for another month tomorrow, along with some other bonuses that I don't remember because none really apply to me yet :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Well that's a little asinine.

Metallia fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 1, 2015

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

mulodyne posted:

Well that's a little asinine.

the official se ffxi site has all the news, learn to do things for yourself before calling people names

ThereWillBeBitcoin
Oct 8, 2013

Kithyen posted:

http://tehkrizz.net/FFXI/downloads.php

Please be careful when following the guide.

Thanks.
------
I'm just coming back to the game after not playing for 6 years. I need a bit of a refresher on some of the basics as well as a short summary of what has changed. Is there a guide that might fit my needs somewhere?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Tonight I fought Arch Dynamis Lord. I did not poop on him. I did not steal a phallic object from him. He pooped on me.:smith:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

ThereWillBeBitcoin posted:

Thanks.
------
I'm just coming back to the game after not playing for 6 years. I need a bit of a refresher on some of the basics as well as a short summary of what has changed. Is there a guide that might fit my needs somewhere?

BlueGartr's So You Just Returned To XI guide is even a bit out of date, I haven't found much that's really comprehensive or entirely accurate anymore. Doing what the Rhapsodies of Vanadiel quest tells you to do is a good start for in-game goals but the last couple of patches changed so much so fast probably take the BlueGartr guide with a huge grain of salt remembering that it hasn't been updated since November last year and then read some of the more recent patch notes.

The big thing is that thanks to trusts you can pretty much solo anything, levelling is really fast and can be done solo, and you can get piles of gear, xp, and gil from Records of Eminence and sparks, at least for me anyway, but I never did nor have I gotten to endgame yet.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Anyone want to do some incursions sometime? I need to get a CP cape

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend
My god, I'm so pink.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Goon the poo poo out of this

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I can only imagine the number of people screaming obscenities into their mics for their submission.

I considered it.

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF
So I blew it and started Windurst 3-2 without reading that I need a party of a red mage, a black mage, and a white mage. There's no way to do that in trusts where I'm at. There's no way to cancel a nation mission, is there?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Dadjacket posted:

So I blew it and started Windurst 3-2 without reading that I need a party of a red mage, a black mage, and a white mage. There's no way to do that in trusts where I'm at. There's no way to cancel a nation mission, is there?
You should be able to go back to the gate NPC and cancel a mission for nations. That's a skipable mission too, I think.

Or just find a goon that has the pass for the door.

With that said, you will eventually want that pass if you plan to solo all the way to Rank 10.

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF
Alright. I'll party up some time soon. Thanks for the info!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Alternatively, if you really want to solo it (NB that you get Actual Cutscenes if you do it at the right time, and some sort of :effort: cutscenes and different objectives if you backtrack for it too much later), you can go around by a convoluted route through the back.

The downside is a substantial bit of prerequisite questing, although if you had some plans to knock out quests sooner or later anyway, this is no big deal.

1. Food for Thought
2. Overnight Delivery
3. Water Way to Go
4. Blue Ribbon Blues
5. Toraimarai Turmoil (you only have to start this one and get the Rhinostery Certificate key item)

Once you have your Rhinostery Certificate in hand, you can enter Toraimarai Canal through the back entrance in Windurst Walls. From there, you can proceed through the zone in reverse to the main entrance, leading you to the part of Inner Horutoto Ruins that's beyond the three mage gate, letting you complete the mission solo. (Grab the Toraimarai survival guide on your way.)

But honestly, if you're playing with friends/goons, it's easier just to ask someone to help. NB that anyone who's completed that mission (either the real version or the :effort: version) and who's given Kupipi a rolanberry, can get a key item Portal Charm from Kupipi that will let them open that door solo (you should do this too, once you finish it). So you don't necessarily have to find red/white/black mages, you can also just find someone with a Portal Charm.

Vil fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 3, 2015

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
ATTN NEWGOONS: Some of you new people and/or returning people may be wondering how to get some gil. Well, let me repost Jadey's awesome answer to this conundrum:

CubsWoo posted:

Newer goons on your first or second level 99 job - do you need cash for a relic, to get reforge pieces to push your AF gear to 119 or to powerlevel a craft? Don't want to have to blow 2 hours in Dynamis every day or fund the Brosale army (however, if you do buy gil it's around $2.50/million right now if you trust your information to the Chinese) and want a product that sells super fast?

Then I recommend Soloing Salvage - Arrapago Remnants II. It's pretty brainless for almost all DD jobs, takes about an hour of your time per day and will usually net you well over a million gil in quick-selling Alexandrite. There are a few prerequisites, though:

- You need to be on or past ToAU mission 17 - this can be done very easily by any level 99 character in a few days of forced JP midnight waits.
- A Salvage permit costs 500 Assault points (easily earned either through soloing any PSC assault or exchanging a RoE copper voucher for 1000 Assault Points) and you can get one permit per JP midnight wait.
- You'll want your level 99 job to be mostly merited (especially your merited WS, if applicable, plus things like crit rate/combat skill/job merits that boost damage.)
- You'll want at minimum a full set of job-appropriate RoE Spark gear (Espial/Outrider, jobs with MP may want Wayfarer for an idle set) and basic accessories like a Haste belt to get you to the cap, rings/earrings/back pieces with appropriate stats, etc.
- Each run you should eat food (I recommend yellow/red curry buns or Marinara Pizza) and bring Remedies. You may want a means of Reraise to be safe your first few times in.
- If you aren't using a job that can cast Pro/Shell, it helps to buy scrolls of Instant Protect and Instant Shell from the Peacekeeper's Coalition in Eastern Adoulin. They're 1000 Bayld each, easily earned by doing a few coalition assignments.
- Most people will sub DNC for this, but a few jobs (BLU, PUP, maybe RUN) can get away with subbing THF. If you aren't subbing DNC, be sure to bring oils and powders to get around safely.

Here is my recommended farming path, following the floor layout here: http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Arrapago_Remnants_II - I will also include extra farming opportunites for more Alex/Salvage plans/chances at Cotton Purses for people with better gear or want to spend more time in the zone. A 'skip it all' run will net you ~10 Alex plus 1-2 Linen Purses (50-99 Alex in each) in 30-40 minutes. A nearly full clear will get you ~50 Alex, 0-4+ Cotton Purses (5-20 Alex) and 1-2 Linen Purses in ~70-90 minutes. None of the cotton purses are guaranteed (at best 10% drop rate,) and only one of the two Linens is guaranteed (if you meet certain requirements.) Also note that you get a full HP/MP restore after each teleport up - use this to your advantage.

Floor 1

Unlock what's available at the lamp. You'll always get your main/sub weapon, JA/WS, Magic, and SJ, plus 1 random equip slot, 2 attributes and either HP or MP.

Kill Vultures until you get your Head/Neck and Back/Waist unlocks. Head to the west hallway and kill the Merrow Kabukidancer. Double back south to the leeches and kill them until you get Ranged and Rings/Earrings. Kill the Marrow Shadowdancer in the next south hallway. If you have both MP and Hands unlocked, sneak/invis up and head to the southwest teleport. If you didn't get both, just sneak to the next Merrow in the SW loop and kill it, then sneak past the next leeches and port up. There is a possible NM spawn on this floor but it takes forever to do so I suggest ignoring it.

Floor 2

Unlock anything you didn't get from the Merrows via the lamp (Legs/Feet, Hands, MP), sneak/invis past the mobs, open the door and port up.

BONUS FARM: Kill the Merrow and Lamia in the room you start in, then open the door and kill the 4 Archaic Gear in the hallways, then the fifth gear that pops near the teleporter. Each of the 4 gears can drop single Alex, and the 5th can drop a Cotton Purse.

Floor 3

Go west and kill Flytraps until you unlock DEX/AGI/MND, double back east and kill Qutrubs until you unlock INT, sneak/invis north past the Qutrubs and Lamia and port up.

BONUS FARM: Kill the Acrolith that pops among the Qutrub, and kill the single Archaic Gear that spawns among the Lamia to pop a second Archaic Gear NM in the room with the teleporter to go up. Both NMs can drop Cotton Purses.

Floor 4

Head west from the teleport in, kill a Lamia Fatedealer to get VIT and CHR (if you don't get one or the other, don't worry, you should be able to unlock it on the next floor's lamp,) head back east to the teleporter room, open the door and port up.

BONUS FARM: Kill all 3 Acroliths that spawn in the room before the Lamia, then kill both Lamia Fatedealers and Lamia Dartists to spawn Lamia Spoliator, then kill it. 4 chances at Cotton Purses.

Floor 5

Follow the path, killing Archaic Gears until you get your Body slot unlock. When you get to the large room, fight an Archaic Rampart in one of the four corners until it does Reinforcements (this will spawn 7 Archaic Gears,) kill the Rampart, then kill Gears until you get a STR unlock, then head east to the teleporter and port up.

BONUS FARM: All single gears on this floor have a chance to drop 1 Alex. All Ramparts and triple Gears are guaranteed to drop 1 Alex, with a chance for 2. For newer players, attempting a full clear of floor 5 is difficult and dangerous - you run the risk of linking all 7 Gears when you pull and even in upper-tier gear, it can occasionally be overwhelming. A full clear of the floor will guarantee you 32 Alex, but 40+ due to double drops/single gear drops isn't out of the question. If you're unsure of your kill speed or survivability, try one Rampart/Gears spawn with Reraise on.

Floor 6

IMPORTANT: You must be able to kill the Armored Chariot in under 3 minutes from when you aggro/engage it. Save TP from the previous floor if possible, or kill an Archaic Chariot to build TP first. Check that your food is still active, and pop your Instant Protect/Instant Shell scrolls if you bought them.

Find the Armored Chariot, engage it, and kill it in under three minutes. Move to the Archaic Rampart in the south portion of the zone, engage it and allow it to use Reinforcements. If it spawns an Archaic Chariot, you killed Armored Chariot too slowly. If it spawns Khimaira, you're good - in either case, kill the Rampart and then whatever spawned from it (~10% chance of Linen Purse from Khim.) Head North and port up to the final floor. Note that Khim can use Fulmination at low HP, so have Remedies ready to counter the very strong Paralyze. Fight Khim on the side to avoid his other bad TP moves (Plague Swipe and Fossilizing Breath.)

BONUS FARM: There are 7 roaming Archaic Chariots on the floor that drop 1 Alex guaranteed with a chance at 2.

Floor 7

Final floor, only one mob - either Khim (if you screwed up Armored Chariot) or Khrysokhimaira Elder (if you didn't.) Elder is guaranteed to drop a Linen, NQ Khim can drop one at the same rate as floor 6 Khim. Elder is marginally more difficult, but not to any extreme. Fight him the same way you fight NQ Khim and feel free to use your 1 hour abilities to speed it up.

If you decide to do this and want an easy way to sell your farm, for the forseeable future I will be buying all Alex at 10,000 gil each. You can probably sell it for ~12k ~7k or so in Upper Jeuno and maybe find a buyer but just looking at FFXIAH there's ~3600 Alex up there for that price or higher that nobody making a Mythic is buying. Whether you sell to me or to the open market I hope this helps you get a little richer and a little more geared up!

So there you have it! If any of you lot need handholding I (Tyranderp) can probably be talked into taking you through a run to show you the ropes. It's easier than it sounds!

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

If you want to make a lot of gil fast, you'd be doing more than just ARII. Since the cooldown timer for Salvage is only an hour anymore, seems best thing is to skip to gears than hit up bosses once you unlock your character.

Alex prices seem pretty solid even after all the blocks have been removed.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Wasn't there something about how one salvage zone still had a 24 hour lockout or was it all misinformation/confusion?

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

I think that's why Jamie said you'd be doing more than just AR-II.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Ah, right, yes.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Eight-Six posted:

Wasn't there something about how one salvage zone still had a 24 hour lockout or was it all misinformation/confusion?

Valle posted:

I think that's why Jamie said you'd be doing more than just AR-II.

...Which is?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Paladine_PSoT posted:

...Which is?

Arrapago Remants 1 and 2 both have a 24 hour real life cooldown period. They were put in place because everyone just spammed AR and the server kept crashing. That was put into place a long while ago and they didn't remove the restriction when they dropped the salvo cooldown timer.

The easiest zone after AR to spam, from what I can tell you, is Bhaflau Remants. Keep in mind though that you will need to do physical and elemental damage to down the boss.

AR can only be done once a day while the rest of the zones can be done once an hour every hour until you can't stand to enter a salv zone anymore.

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Now that I hit 99 on my THF, I kinda wished there was a guide to things you should do first as a fresh 99. I kind of have some idea, but there is so much to do it can be a bit overwhelming. So far my plan is as follows:

- finish missions
- get Abyssea Key Items
- unlock Salvage
- ???

It should be noted that I only leveled THF to be a farming job, so I don't know if it's necessary to gather anything beyond the sparks gear on him. But it would be nice to get an idea of how I should begin to gear a 99 anyway.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Thern posted:

Now that I hit 99 on my THF, I kinda wished there was a guide to things you should do first as a fresh 99. I kind of have some idea, but there is so much to do it can be a bit overwhelming. So far my plan is as follows:

- finish missions
- get Abyssea Key Items
- unlock Salvage
- ???

It should be noted that I only leveled THF to be a farming job, so I don't know if it's necessary to gather anything beyond the sparks gear on him. But it would be nice to get an idea of how I should begin to gear a 99 anyway.

Make sure Rhapsodies is completed through rhapsody in azure, that'll kill the timers on things like dynamis/salvage. Also do a SKCNM battle on D to unlock oboro(?) and make a sandung.

Gear: espial set from sparks vendor and eminent dagger. Use these to get into yorcia alluvion skirmishes as the book bitch a few times and get a taeon set. use 6 melidopt wings to buy two ipetams (the other 119 dagger you'll be using with sandung). Build and 119 relic gloves and empy boots for TH, then ditch the sandung for the other ipetam. Do boredom breaks for things like delve earrings when you have time just to make damage happen faster.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Thern posted:

- finish missions
- get Abyssea Key Items
- unlock Salvage
- ???

Finishing all the missions is also my goal, let me know if you need any help with anything or any tips on missions or how to find info about said mission. Getting abyssea key items is easy enough. Which abyssea key items are you looking to get? Unlocking Salvage is doable as a 99 thf. You just need to do some Treasure of Aht Urhgan missions. You need to get ToAU mission 17 complete and by the end of it you will have salvage access. Here is a link to the mission. https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Aht_Urhgan_Mission_17

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Make sure Rhapsodies is completed through rhapsody in azure, that'll kill the timers on things like dynamis/salvage. Also do a SKCNM battle on D to unlock oboro(?) and make a sandung.

Gear: espial set from sparks vendor and eminent dagger. Use these to get into yorcia alluvion skirmishes as the book bitch a few times and get a taeon set. use 6 melidopt wings to buy two ipetams (the other 119 dagger you'll be using with sandung). Build and 119 relic gloves and empy boots for TH, then ditch the sandung for the other ipetam. Do boredom breaks for things like delve earrings when you have time just to make damage happen faster.

I think it is time that some of the more helpful goons create a new player/returning player guide for goons too poor to afford their stairs to reach their second mog house floor, or How I learned to be a masochist and farm salvage. I am willing to start it, but I am going to need help. Would you be willing?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Building up MNK on your main and a mule character and swapping back and forth on them seems like the quickest way to farm alex.

Just unlock slots, farm triple gears, pop NQ boss and kill HQ boss as quickly as possible seems like the most efficent method. Should be able to farm nonstop that way.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

LiquidFriend posted:

Building up MNK on your main and a mule character and swapping back and forth on them seems like the quickest way to farm alex.

Just unlock slots, farm triple gears, pop NQ boss and kill HQ boss as quickly as possible seems like the most efficent method. Should be able to farm nonstop that way.

A Mnk wtih Shijin Spiral and a decent h2h weapon with sparks gear, should be able to solo all of Salvage v2 for AR. I am not sure about the other salvage zones.

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Thanks a bunch for this. Is the SKCNM something I could solo in sparks gear?

Gruknor posted:

Finishing all the missions is also my goal, let me know if you need any help with anything or any tips on missions or how to find info about said mission. Getting abyssea key items is easy enough. Which abyssea key items are you looking to get? Unlocking Salvage is doable as a 99 thf. You just need to do some Treasure of Aht Urhgan missions. You need to get ToAU mission 17 complete and by the end of it you will have salvage access. Here is a link to the mission. https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Aht_Urhgan_Mission_17

Right now I'm working through Zilart. I'm pretty much doing them in order, although I guess I could do the ToAU missions to get Salvage access sooner.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog

Thern posted:

- finish missions
- get Abyssea Key Items
- unlock Salvage
- ???

I just reached level 99 with my SAM and was wondering what I should level up next now that I also did all the limit break quests. THF sounds like a great idea.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Gruknor posted:

A Mnk wtih Shijin Spiral and a decent h2h weapon with sparks gear, should be able to solo all of Salvage v2 for AR. I am not sure about the other salvage zones.

I think with all the changes, BST is actually a great job for all the zones. Only downside is BST takes a little more effort to gear properly and it kinda sucks until you get the ranged slot unlocked.

Rune Fencer is a great job too, but couldn't tell you poo poo anout the job.

As for MNK, I wouldn't dump the merits into shijin. Victory Smite is wonderful.

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 5, 2015

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I'd also will take the time to suggest goons to level BST. It takes some effort to gear up well and gil, but you can solo or lowman a lot of endgame content with pets now a days.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

LiquidFriend posted:

I'd also will take the time to suggest goons to level BST. It takes some effort to gear up well and gil, but you can solo or lowman a lot of endgame content with pets now a days.

I second this. Every time I group up with a decently geared bst they always deal a lot of damage through their pet.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
BST is basically SAM at this point in terms of usefulness. On the extreme end there are BST that have soloed Ark Angels on VD, and a 2 BST group with support has cleared the major Vagary bosses.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Gruknor posted:

I think it is time that some of the more helpful goons create a new player/returning player guide for goons too poor to afford their stairs to reach their second mog house floor, or How I learned to be a masochist and farm salvage. I am willing to start it, but I am going to need help. Would you be willing?

Sure

Thern posted:

No. You can, however, yell for a party pretty quickly in jeuno. All of them should only require a Pld, Healer, and some DD jobs. Every PLD should know the fights if they're geared in 119 stuff so just listen to them for directions.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Thern posted:

Right now I'm working through Zilart. I'm pretty much doing them in order, although I guess I could do the ToAU missions to get Salvage access sooner.

I would get Salvage access, because that also means you get assault access. It gives you something extra to do in case you want to do stuff to work towards a mythic or make gil.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

CubsWoo posted:

BST is basically SAM at this point in terms of usefulness. On the extreme end there are BST that have soloed Ark Angels on VD, and a 2 BST group with support has cleared the major Vagary bosses.

Bst and smn are doing really well in Escha-zitah and Wanted Unitys.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
My server is dead as poo poo and finding Aby parties is pretty much impossible, what's the best place to grind out levels 90-99? Been waiting 13 years to finish leveling. :(

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Cuchulain posted:

My server is dead as poo poo and finding Aby parties is pretty much impossible, what's the best place to grind out levels 90-99? Been waiting 13 years to finish leveling. :(

90-99? Escha-zitah, boston omellete, abyssea, and try googling ffxi leveling from 90-99.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I did google, all I found were severely out-dated guides and a lot of stuff that hasn't been updated since WotG. I was assuming Bourbon Ostrich was the most convenient place, but after rounding a corner and getting obliterated by a level 99 slime last night I was wondering if anywhere else was better. I really just need to kill the Shadow Lord so I can do Rhapsodies already though. Thanks. :v:

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog

Cuchulain posted:

I did google, all I found were severely out-dated guides and a lot of stuff that hasn't been updated since WotG. I was assuming Bourbon Ostrich was the most convenient place, but after rounding a corner and getting obliterated by a level 99 slime last night I was wondering if anywhere else was better. I really just need to kill the Shadow Lord so I can do Rhapsodies already though. Thanks. :v:

For 89 to 95 I went to Dangruf Wadi, did the GoV 8 page and killed the level 94 crabs and monkeys. The crabs link but the monkeys are really easy to kill since they're not agressive. At 95 to 99 I went to the gustav tunnel and did the GoV 8 as well, which is killing giant worms and Turtles.

Naturally get your trusts up so you can have 4 of em out, it went pretty quickly too, took me maybe 5 hours. This is all from the perspective of a fresh 99 so there might be better ways, but that's the ones I used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

BobbyBaudoin posted:

For 89 to 95 I went to Dangruf Wadi, did the GoV 8 page and killed the level 94 crabs and monkeys. The crabs link but the monkeys are really easy to kill since they're not agressive. At 95 to 99 I went to the gustav tunnel and did the GoV 8 as well, which is killing giant worms and Turtles.

Naturally get your trusts up so you can have 4 of em out, it went pretty quickly too, took me maybe 5 hours. This is all from the perspective of a fresh 99 so there might be better ways, but that's the ones I used.

This is actually pretty terrible. Crabs are tough as gently caress and takes forever to kill. Hit Fei'Yin and kill bats just north of the Qu'Bia Arena entrance (get the Home Point there if you haven't). The bats are fairly squishy, and if you do piercing damage they're really squishy. Kill these until you think the exp is slowing down too much (93-95? YMMW). Then head off to Adoulin and kill poo poo (mandies) just outside of town, to the south a bit. They'll use the good old sleepga move and make you feel like you're in the Kazham jungles all over again. Except there won't be any goblins to gently caress you up. Good times!