Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
Is the Memory Maker package generally worth it? https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/memory-maker/
Are there going to be hundreds of pictures taken or? I'm not sure what to expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We got it and it was totally worth it. I have little kids and did a ton of character pictures though. We had several hundred at the end of our trip.

Basically anywhere your picture can be taken they'll scan you're magic band and the photos show up online. Then you can download the high res copy and do whatever with them

There were a couple exceptions to the magic band scanning and they gave you a card with a code you could enter online and add them

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

It was worth it for me. If you're going to get pictures with characters or find the photopass people, it's really convenient to get the picture and then scan the magic band. Also, for all of the rides that have on-ride photos, they scan your magic band on the ride and automatically send the picture to your memory maker account. The only time it didn't work for me on my trip was on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster- maybe because of the shuttle launch.

However, most of the cast members are willing to take character/scenery pictures with your own camera or phone as well, so if the on-ride photos aren't that important to you, you could probably live without it.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
BBS you failed your first HM test walking right past waifu and I while you were intently staring at the ticket for your next bump.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I just looked at our Disney photos and we had 427 photos in full 4000x6000 resolution in our memory maker.

What was really cool is one price covered our entire party (2 families and 11 people total). Totally worth it.

Sappy Dad poo poo: These pictures make me cry, I grew up poor, like not enough to eat sometimes poor, and we didn't really have vacations growing up, much less could we have ever afforded something like a trip to Disney. Being able to have my kids experience the magic of Disney World and the pure joy they had on that trip just makes me break down

Bonus content: My son being all shy with Elsa, the picture is a bit fuzzy as I shrunk it to 10% of original size.

In other news, our next Disney trip keeps getting longer. We have originally rented DVC points for a Saturday to Friday stay at Bay Lake Towers. Then my wife and MIL added the Friday before at BCV so we don't lose the Saturday to travel.. and now it's been extended to the Thursday before. So 2 nights at BCV and then our 6 nights at BLT. If this keeps up we'll be spending 2 weeks there....

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 1, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got Memory Maker when I went but then I was coming from the UK so adding another $150 or whatever onto the total cost was entirely negligible. I mostly wanted the ride photos but we also got a few nice group shots in front of the castle and the Epcot ball thing and stuff. Well worth it for me.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Just got the heads up on some crap one of my clients was saying about me. I could stay in my room and craft an email response to my VP....screw that, running to beat the rain to check out Trader Sams instead.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that rain was brutal. We got out of HM, I was hanging around trying to spot BBS to tell his manager he saved our baby from a burning building and he deserved a raise but the lightning made me change my mind and we hoofed it to the car. We made it home in time to beat the rain which was coming down dime sized hail.. not good for our new car.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Thanks all. I went ahead and ordered the memory maker based on your feedback.

I'm a bit confused. When I go to here: https://mydisneyphotopass.disney.go.com/mymedia
It says to select how I identified at the photo location, and Link Memory Maker is an option, but it says its already in use.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plan/ shows memory maker at the bottom.

I am correct in assuming that once I scan my MagicBand for the photographer, they'll just show up? Or did I need to do something else to my account?

And..one more thing I'm not sure of. Do I link my credit card to my Magic Band directly, or do the bands link to the hotel room and then I just pay the room balance at the end?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

demonR6 posted:

Yeah that rain was brutal. We got out of HM, I was hanging around trying to spot BBS to tell his manager he saved our baby from a burning building and he deserved a raise but the lightning made me change my mind and we hoofed it to the car. We made it home in time to beat the rain which was coming down dime sized hail.. not good for our new car.

Saw those clouds rolling in and hoofed it to the main building. Got a wet on the walk back to the room but it was worth it.

They have me in one of the DVC rooms in the Pago Pago building. Friggin' room is huge, with two bathrooms. Put together they are bigger than the whole hotel room I just stayed in Chicago.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 2, 2015

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We got Memory Maker for our honeymoon. Entirely worth it at least once, but you have to be willing to grab all the pictures you can. Sometimes the CMs will do cool stuff like make you pose a certain way then they insert Stitch or something else into the photo which is a cool feature you don't get if you just have them use your camera

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I'll be partaking in Star Wars Weekend on Saturday. Maybe I can finally see the fireworks this time.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Uziel posted:

Thanks all. I went ahead and ordered the memory maker based on your feedback.

I'm a bit confused. When I go to here: https://mydisneyphotopass.disney.go.com/mymedia
It says to select how I identified at the photo location, and Link Memory Maker is an option, but it says its already in use.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plan/ shows memory maker at the bottom.

I am correct in assuming that once I scan my MagicBand for the photographer, they'll just show up? Or did I need to do something else to my account?

And..one more thing I'm not sure of. Do I link my credit card to my Magic Band directly, or do the bands link to the hotel room and then I just pay the room balance at the end?

if you can see it in your reservations it's linked and you don't need to do anything. It won't be activated until you actually download your first photo (but you can view all you like).

If yall ever have any photopass questions I answer their phones when I'm not running around the parks so I'm happy to help.

Cais fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 2, 2015

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Cais posted:

if you can see it in your reservations it's linked and you don't need to do anything. It won't be activated until you actually download your first photo (but you can view all you like).

If yall ever have any photopass questions I answer their phones when I'm not running around the parks so I'm happy to help.
Oh awesome, thank you!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Uziel posted:

If you want to be able to purchase food/merchandise with the band directly then you will have to add a card in advance, you'll be asked to do this during checkin. Everything you buy using the band will then be charged to your card in one single payment (along with any outstanding hotel charges, etc.) on the last day of your stay (or the day before, I forget now) and you'll receive an itemised bill delivered to your hotel room. Note that anything purchased after this may show up as additional separate charges if they've already processed your bill and you buy more stuff.

This probably doesn't affect you but I'll mention it anyway: I was sharing a room with a friend and when we checked in they offered to put separate cards on each band so that our food/merch was separate, which we did. When we checked out they charged all spending from both bands (i.e. the entire room) onto my card. I don't know if this was a mistake or if the person at check-in didn't understand how it works or what. I also didn't bother to complain about it because we had it all itemised so my friend just gave me the money instead and it was fine.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 2, 2015

TIGER HOODZ
Aug 3, 2009

Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks
Hey this may or may not be the right place for this (probably not), but I have a question about working for Disney.

It seems like work in the parks seems pretty fulfilling at the end of the day, but what about corporate Disney life? I currently work in public accounting, and I'm thinking about making the stereotypical leap to become an industry accountant now. Disney is definitely at the top of my list, for a lot of business/vision related reasons, but I'm wondering if I'm just so enchanted with the idea of working for Disney because I hear so many great things about people that have more of a guest services role.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I would imagine working for the corporate side of Disney is just like working for any other giant publicly traded company with a market cap of almost 200 Billion dollars.

I would be proud to work for Disney or one of it's subsidiaries (ABC/ESPN/etc), but I can't imagine it's much different.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Hollywood Studios Starbucks coffee mug if you want the collection from all the parks.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 2, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

How limited are those Starbucks mugs? Because I want them but I'm broke for a while.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think they are limited at all.. they might change the print someday but I highly doubt they would say oh hey they're gone so sorry about your luck.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

demonR6 posted:

I am pretty sure I was like "gently caress its gonna rain and I dont have any gear" and thats why I was looking down. I could have used the "burning building baby saver" story yesterday to counteract the woman who threatened to go to the media about something that happened while I was on the load belt. Yay Omnimovers!

Basically I love the Mansion, but goddamn 13 hour days in the Mansion aren't exactly magical.

KabukiJoe
Nov 19, 2002

Are all the park mugs that style? I bet the Epcot one is absolute aces. My folks are supposed to be going down in the Fall I hope they still have this style.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I am pretty sure I was like "gently caress its gonna rain and I dont have any gear" and thats why I was looking down. I could have used the "burning building baby saver" story yesterday to counteract the woman who threatened to go to the media about something that happened while I was on the load belt. Yay Omnimovers!

Basically I love the Mansion, but goddamn 13 hour days in the Mansion aren't exactly magical.

If you think you would be in the clear to recount them, I'd love to hear stories about crazy people, especially entitled ones in motor scooters.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

KabukiJoe posted:

Are all the park mugs that style? I bet the Epcot one is absolute aces. My folks are supposed to be going down in the Fall I hope they still have this style.

Each park has its own theme and colors.

So yesterday we go to Studios for my wife's birthday and we are sitting at the Backstage dining area after grabbing something to eat. The park was pretty quiet and we found the farthest table out there hoping to get away from people. We are not there for two minutes and in comes a guy trailing five small children, two in strollers. One of them likes to scream bloody murder for attention. The oldest boy is taunting screamer who redoubles his efforts now. Father is on the phone yapping in some unintelligible language and not paying attention. After five minutes of this the father yells at the screamer while taunter who is behind dad's line of sight is making faces. He takes screamer out of the stroller then he proceeds to run after taunter and another kid. Now we have three kids running around the table yelling and carrying on, the girl in the stroller is now crying and the father is on the phone still.

A few minutes later mother and her daughter walk up with food, shortly thereafter everyone is sitting down and eating, we have a sense of normalcy... for about two minutes because screamer who was shoveling food in his face pukes right between our tables. Oddly enough everyone starts laughing at screamer who is crying as he stares at his puke and then he starts to laugh too.

That's my memorable Disney adventure for the day. At least it did not rain on us I guess.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

demonR6 posted:

Each park has its own theme and colors.

So yesterday we go to Studios for my wife's birthday and we are sitting at the Backstage dining area after grabbing something to eat. The park was pretty quiet and we found the farthest table out there hoping to get away from people. We are not there for two minutes and in comes a guy trailing five small children, two in strollers. One of them likes to scream bloody murder for attention. The oldest boy is taunting screamer who redoubles his efforts now. Father is on the phone yapping in some unintelligible language and not paying attention. After five minutes of this the father yells at the screamer while taunter who is behind dad's line of sight is making faces. He takes screamer out of the stroller then he proceeds to run after taunter and another kid. Now we have three kids running around the table yelling and carrying on, the girl in the stroller is now crying and the father is on the phone still.

A few minutes later mother and her daughter walk up with food, shortly thereafter everyone is sitting down and eating, we have a sense of normalcy... for about two minutes because screamer who was shoveling food in his face pukes right between our tables. Oddly enough everyone starts laughing at screamer who is crying as he stares at his puke and then he starts to laugh too.

That's my memorable Disney adventure for the day. At least it did not rain on us I guess.

Dude. Cmon. You gotta take pictures of this stuff!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BlueBayou posted:

Google is hard right?

Edit: Disneyland:

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 3, 2015

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Can't wait to gather all those mugs. Good lord.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Tunga posted:

Google is hard right?

I meant of the crazy family.....

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BlueBayou posted:

Yes, because I wanted to take pictures or video of vomit to share with the thread. I can imagine the PM from Lincoln now. LOL

Tim Whatley posted:

Can't wait to gather all those mugs. Good lord.

Working on the collection. I'll have to figure out the other parks but I can at least cover the WDW parks.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Are there good/interesting restaurants at Universal?

Im going to be at Uni on my birthday and am trying to decide if I should go back to Disney for dinner or find a place there. I kinda want to go to Boma. But maybe I should spring for an even classier place. Im just not super into food. So spending $$$ on La Cellier or something seems like a waste.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Only place we have eaten is at the resorts.. Emeril's, Tchop-Tchop and some other place. All good but pricey of course.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The Latin Quarter at City Walk was pretty good when we ate there a few years ago.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
the new place Cowfish on CityWalk is amazing. Great food with some unique options, good prices, fun atmosphere and theming. I've been several times and I've not had a bad experience yet.

I also like Mythos in Islands of Adventure. It's basically one of two sit down places in the park, but it's really good cheap sit down food.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

BlueBayou posted:

Are there good/interesting restaurants at Universal?

Im going to be at Uni on my birthday and am trying to decide if I should go back to Disney for dinner or find a place there. I kinda want to go to Boma. But maybe I should spring for an even classier place. Im just not super into food. So spending $$$ on La Cellier or something seems like a waste.
Le Cellier is super overrated anyway. It's not bad, but it's expensive, always crowded, and isn't any better than your good local steakhouse.

My favorite places at WDW to eat are Ohana and Restaurant Marrakesh. Neither is ridiculously expensive, and they're both heavy on atmosphere (Hawaiian luau at the former, belly dancers at the latter).

We booked those two again for this September, but we're determined to not eat anyplace else we've been before. I'm excited about Flying Fish, which is our one upscale(ish) dinner. We booked Boma too, but it's my first time there so I don't have an opinion yet.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Hrm. Def leaning towards Ohana. Followed by Trader Sams

SO many optionnsss so little time

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

BlueBayou posted:

Hrm. Def leaning towards Ohana. Followed by Trader Sams

SO many optionnsss so little time

Ohana over Boma imo

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
I wish Boma did lunch

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

BlueBayou posted:

I wish Boma did lunch

Doing Boma breakfast buffet for a team celebration on Friday morning. They've got some great African flavored dishes there.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
So they tore down the hat to put up a stage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

tomapot posted:

So they tore down the hat to put up a stage?

Yeah it's stupid imo