Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

After hearing about how troubled the development of Layton vs Wright actually was, I am actually surprised the game came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Volt Catfish posted:

After hearing about how troubled the development of Layton vs Wright actually was, I am actually surprised the game came out.

Is there an article or something about this? I'd love to read more about that.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Boxart! Seems to be abandoning the four portraits style. Edit: It's actually quite similar to the Layton vs box.

Also I agree that even just introducing some more varied mission objectives to PxZ would have improved it greatly.
Is that Ye Olde Gant at the very back there?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The prosecutor looks like Edgeworth if he kept that von Karma outfit for the rest of his career (which he totally should've.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I also like Thompson in the back there. Or is it Thomson?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I like the young William A. Zeppeli in the back.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I was hoping someone else would say that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Worst Girl posted:

Is that Ye Olde Gant at the very back there?

Why is everyone in law enforcement immortal? :stare:

Funky Valentine posted:

I like the young William A. Zeppeli in the back.

If he has a "Hey Baby!" Objection, I'm going to lose it.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Why is everyone in law enforcement immortal? :stare:
Given Edgeworth, they must all be vampires.

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012
New Famitsu scans. The blonde urchin's named Gina Lestrade, the Gant-looking dude is the Lord Chief Justice, Hurt Vortex, (yeah,) plus we get a peek at case 3's defendant.

How do you think they fit that whole carriage into the courtroom?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Japanese demo is also on the eShop right now, so let's wait for Orenronen to give us a trip report.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Note to Self posted:

New Famitsu scans. The blonde urchin's named Gina Lestrade, the Gant-looking dude is the Lord Chief Justice, Hurt Vortex, (yeah,) plus we get a peek at case 3's defendant.

How do you think they fit that whole carriage into the courtroom?

The "professional" pickpocket witness is so ace attorney it hurts

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lord Chief Justice bears an uncanny resemblance to Gant, wow.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Lestrade is a pickpocket now? What???

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Note to Self posted:

the Gant-looking dude is the Lord Chief Justice, Hurt Vortex, (yeah,)

Wow, that name's as obviously evil as Carnage Onred.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Hurt Vortex!!!!!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

To be fair.

His name could also be Heart Vortex.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Hurt Vortex is a perfectly normal English name, why it's in the dictionary and everything

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

alcharagia posted:

Hurt Vortex!!!!!!

Edge Maverick, you have been supplanted. There is a new most videogames name

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hurt Vortex is somehow even better than the original Gant already. :allears:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
In America we call it the Fiddy Zone.

I'm digging Willy Wonka there too. Shame he doesn't have a neck, though.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

The Japanese demo is also on the eShop right now, so let's wait for Orenronen to give us a trip report.

It's a very short demo - just the beginning of a Holmes/Naruhodo joint deduction session. It took me about 10 minutes and if I could read Japanese as fast as I can English it probably would've taken half that time. It's also the same scene I've already seen them play at the stage show they did at TGS last year. Still, it was fun reading all the dialogue (which is as good as ever), and the new camera movements look great on top of the usual fantastic animation.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Pureauthor posted:

Is there an article or something about this? I'd love to read more about that.

The game itself confesses to it in the special episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7cDyOID8q8

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There was also the fact that like....one or two things from the reveal trailer were in the actual final game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, the original trailer of the game is vastly different from how everything is presented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edf2kX9y8UM

From all indication, it seemed as though the Professor was intended to be the "prosecutor" from the start as opposed to the final bits of the last case.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 3, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also objecting to puzzles was supposed to be a main gameplay mechanic, but the final product did it once and it was very railroaded but still kinda cool. I guess they figured people would keep trying to solve the puzzle instead of knowing when to object.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Playing AAI2 and I completely failed to realize that The Forgotten Turnabout wasn't the climax of the game until literally the ending of chapter.

Because seriously it hit all the beats.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I love how The Forgotten Turnabout doesn't even try to hide the villain's identity in the slightest. :allears:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Playing AAI2 and I completely failed to realize that The Forgotten Turnabout wasn't the climax of the game until literally the ending of chapter.

Because seriously it hit all the beats.

That's because AAI2 kicks loving rear end

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

mabels big day posted:

didn't they just dump the team after it's release? What happened to those guys? Why weren't they consulted during Ace Attorney vs. Layton?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

mabels big day posted:

Seriously. I only found out there was a completed translation patch last week and I powered through the game in a few days.

How did this game not get localized? It's pretty easily the best one in the whole series. Like, holy crap.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I played through all of DD, AAI2, and PLvsAA in a row recently and love them all for different reasons. I2 was definitely the best in most respects. I only really noticed translation quirks in the second case where it abuses "that". DD sets up a great main cast dynamic and looks great. Also the DLC case is amazing. And in PLvs I loved every single witness (except the last two) and the AA musical renditions.

Though considering those three games I really hope the next one doesn't have female lead with lost/suppressed memories confesses to murder because they vaguely remember being nearby. Especially grating since I played PLvs third.

Can't wait for this new one. Guess in the meanwhile I'll try to make Raymond's theme or the revisualization music into a ringtone.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

In a surprise twist for Holmes Attorney, the assistant being accused of the last case's murder will actually be the killer after all, for once. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

FebrezeNinja posted:

Though considering those three games I really hope the next one doesn't have female lead with lost/suppressed memories confesses to murder because they vaguely remember being nearby. Especially grating since I played PLvs third.

With Athena it was fine. With Kay it was grating.

But I actually wanted to throw Espella into the drat fire myself. :argh:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The prosecution, victim, and defendant of the final case of Layton vs Wright were all terrible.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

alcharagia posted:

The prosecution, victim, and defendant of the final case of Layton vs Wright were all terrible.

The group of 7 knight witnesses are the only good part

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

alcharagia posted:

The prosecution was real cool for the first minute

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
They decided to remove the game's best original character from the equation right before the climax

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

The prosecution was real cool for the first minute

And then she never had a breakdown. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Layton vs. Wright is a better game if you stop playing at the conclusion of chapter 4. Sorry Maya.

• Locked thread