Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!

The Dreamer posted:

I'm trying to randomly grab a field from a randomly selected record that is associated with another record. I see that I can do this by ordering and calling a Random function for whichever database I'm using. This is still a prototype app so I'll probably actually do this before I go to production. I found a different way to do this though and was wondering if it was actually a terrible idea. It works now but I'm not sure how it would scale over time with larger database tables.

I have 3 tables, Business, Types, and BusinessTypes. I'm doing a Business has_many Types though BusinessTypes association. What I'm trying to do right now is grab a random Business of a certain Type and grab an image url that is stored in the Business object. my current way of doing this is:

code:
type.businesses[rand(0...type.businesses.count)][:image]
Like I said this actually works but I'm just curious as to how it would scale. I know that just randomizing the order of the database files and then picking one can be really intense on the database with enough records but this way doesn't seem like it would be since I'm just randomly picking a number and then snagging that index out of the array of Business objects. I could be very wrong though especially if it has to create the whole array of objects every time its called. I just don't know enough about how ActiveRecord works to say one way or the other and wanted to know if someone could enlighten me.

You could do a quick COUNT(*) then choose a random record using rand(count) as your offset and a LIMIT 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

What are you trying to do that you need something automating shell input? There's got to be a better way.

If this is directed at me, then I'm trying to let people fire off a remote process from within our application. The app tracks research activity, and users can currently note that they ran a process on some data files (e.g. some R script to run a statistical analysis), and link the work record with the input and output files of that process. (You didn't hear this from me, but the whole app is basically a glorified spreadhseet.) We'd like to give them the option to record the pertinent data, and then invoke the remote process all at once. Of course, they won't be able to enter any info about the output files when they haven't run the script yet, but the remote process can make additional updates to the records in the application with curl commands, using an XML API.

By default, most of the login, executable file, input parameter, and output redirection information will be inherited from parent objects in the system, but the user will be able to modify them for specific cases, enter their password (which will be filtered from the log files), and then click a button to have the application use their login info to start their process remotely (and asynchronously). Like I said, this is a prototype at this point - we may well restrict them to specific servers we own, disallow changes to the default values except by admins, or just scrap the approach entirely, but I'd like to make it work well enough to have a non-theoretical discussion about which direction we want to go.

If plain old command-line ssh has an option to suppress the additional password prompts, I guess I could just construct a command string to use with backticks in the ruby code, if I can't find a similar option in net-ssh. We've had to do similar things one or two other times with ruby features that were slower than their CLI counterparts.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

The Journey Fraternity posted:

You could do a quick COUNT(*) then choose a random record using rand(count) as your offset and a LIMIT 1

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
Peristalsis, ssh has NumberOfPasswordPrompts as a config option (see man ssh_config). I don't know if Net::SSH gives access to those. On the command line it'd be
code:
$ ssh -o "NumberOfPasswordPrompts 1" user@host

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Active model serializer is dragging rear end. I switched to it from jbuilder because it was even slower. Applying AMS's caching seems to have helped with a 50% gain, but we're still churning on small things that should be near instant, even on a slow, crappy server. Plus we've got a use case that returns 1500+ records on the reg that was taking 30 seconds and is now down to 15 with caching.

So, anyone have any suggestions for faster JSON responses aside from just generating the JSON on the database & never instantiating rails objects?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Peristalsis posted:

If plain old command-line ssh has an option to suppress the additional password prompts, I guess I could just construct a command string to use with backticks in the ruby code, if I can't find a similar option in net-ssh. We've had to do similar things one or two other times with ruby features that were slower than their CLI counterparts.

There is not a way to remove the prompt for password-based logins. The proper way to solve this situation is using key pairs, or possibly through an LDAP system.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

necrotic posted:

There is not a way to remove the prompt for password-based logins. The proper way to solve this situation is using key pairs, or possibly through an LDAP system.

To be clear, I'm looking to remove the additional prompts if the user enters the wrong password the first time. I'm not sure if your comment accounts for that, but if so, it seems to be in conflict with Soup in a Bag's comment, above. The net-ssh gem allows me to pass the login and password along at the same time, removing the first explicit command line password prompt altogether.

Using a key system rather than passwords is definitely a possibility, just one I didn't want to delve into, since I'm not familiar with it. We do use LDAP logins for our main application, though that was coded by someone else, and I'm not really familiar with it, either. Regardless, I appreciate all the responses, and I'll take a look at my options when I'm at work again on Monday.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Fell back to formatting the JSON on the database and passing it through to the front end. Using mongo for this project, so had to figure out how to get aggregates to work. Cut my call to 4-8 seconds for the 1600 result query, sub second for a more sane 40 result query. That should drop further with a beefier database server as the database call is taking 2-3 seconds now. Still not entirely happy with how long it is taking rails to go from hash to json, might figure later out how to pass the raw string directly to the response.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Peristalsis posted:

To be clear, I'm looking to remove the additional prompts if the user enters the wrong password the first time. I'm not sure if your comment accounts for that, but if so, it seems to be in conflict with Soup in a Bag's comment, above. The net-ssh gem allows me to pass the login and password along at the same time, removing the first explicit command line password prompt altogether.

Using a key system rather than passwords is definitely a possibility, just one I didn't want to delve into, since I'm not familiar with it. We do use LDAP logins for our main application, though that was coded by someone else, and I'm not really familiar with it, either. Regardless, I appreciate all the responses, and I'll take a look at my options when I'm at work again on Monday.

In case anyone is interested (or this comes up in a search later), net-ssh does accept :number_of_password_prompts as an option. This can be set to zero to prevent the system from prompting for a password after a failed login. ALSO, version 2.10, which is in beta, accepts a :non_interactive option, which can be set to true, and which should do the same thing.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

kayakyakr posted:

So, anyone have any suggestions for faster JSON responses aside from just generating the JSON on the database & never instantiating rails objects?

Have you tried different JSON engines? The YAML-based one that's used as a fallback is notoriously slow, while there are a variety of ones that are much faster, including the C-based json/ext (from https://github.com/flori/json/tree/master ) and yajl-ruby, and undoubtedly some Java-based ones for JRuby.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Have you tried different JSON engines? The YAML-based one that's used as a fallback is notoriously slow, while there are a variety of ones that are much faster, including the C-based json/ext (from https://github.com/flori/json/tree/master ) and yajl-ruby, and undoubtedly some Java-based ones for JRuby.

Decent boost. thanks for the recommendation. using yajl for now, though will try out oj as soon as rbx 2.5+ doesn't ignore interrupts.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Surely this is your answer:
https://github.com/dcodeIO/ProtoBuf.js/

probably not your answer

Obvious question, but are you're serializing only the fields you need, right?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

probably not your answer

Serializing the fields we need for that call, or serializing all the fields we'll ever need from any call to that endpoint? Cause we're definitely doing one of those.

We're denormalizing associations into the table, so theoretically, reading direct from the database is going to be the fastest possible. The renaming of return values is a problem (so grouping_fields just becomes groupings) that will have to wait for a bigger DB server than the babby's first server I've got it on now. Next time I do performance tuning, I'll create serializers just for the denormalization process so we don't have a bunch of useless poo poo coming across the wire.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
This may be more of a general programming/HTML question, but we're using Ruby on Rails, so I'll try here first.

Our app has a list of files on a form page, to let users associate files with the object being created with the form. The HTML uses an un-ordered list to show the files, and only shows files owned by selected users. The problem is that at least one user has many thousands of files, meaning our list has many thousands of <li> elements, and that seems to be choking browsers some of the time. And it's always slow to work with when loading and/or looking at the problematic users' files.

Part of the problem is that we're pre-loading the entire collection of files for all users, and just hiding the ones not currently being browsed. We're probably not even doing that very efficiently, so I'm working on ways to optimize that code. But the simple fact is that some users have an ungodly number of files available to associate with the form object. So, even if I only load the files belonging to a particular person when the current user requests to see them, for some file owners, there are going to be lots of files to show.

This seems like this one of those problems that must have come up and been solved before - is there a standard or best practice way to handle this situation? Is there a better structure than [ul][/ul] for huge lists?

The model code that loads up these files' records causes another intermittent problem. It's a fairly complex nested ARel query with model.includes for eager loading of related objects. It sometimes makes my dev box hang, requiring me to use kill -KILL to clear it out and start over (I'm using WEBrick on dev). When this happens, the server's shell prompt hangs in the middle of displaying an EXPLAIN of the SQL command from MySQL. I suspected the issue was that the .includes resolves to a SQL query with too many entries in the IN clause (i.e. thousands), but the internet tells me that MySQL doesn't have a limit on the number of entries you can use in that clause. Also, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, so it really can't be a syntax error like that.

Oddly, this EXPLAIN command only shows when there is a problem - in instances where the server doesn't hang, there is no EXPLAIN shown in the server shell. I assume this means that there's an issue with executing the SQL query, which then prompts MySQL/rails to run EXPLAIN. Is there a character limit the query you can pass to EXPLAIN? Or maybe the explain is always run, but only echoes to output if there's a problem?

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Do you have to display all the files at once? You could have some kind of a widget on your page that would show an x amount of files and then the rest would be paginated. You only load the files you need via AJAX, that way you would avoid the massive query. You could also implement some kind of a search for the files, kind of like Select2 jquery plugin works for select fields.

Maybe I misunderstood your use case though.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Gmaz posted:

Do you have to display all the files at once? You could have some kind of a widget on your page that would show an x amount of files and then the rest would be paginated. You only load the files you need via AJAX, that way you would avoid the massive query. You could also implement some kind of a search for the files, kind of like Select2 jquery plugin works for select fields.

Maybe I misunderstood your use case though.

This is kind of what I'm thinking. I guess I was hoping there was a "magically_show_more_data_than_realistically_possible" gem. Or maybe a "never use .includes with more than 100 rows or one dependency, use this other method instead" rule of thumb.

The problem (aside from having to rewire a sizable chunk of the app) would be with sorting. We let users sort the files by owner, by file name, etc. So to show only, say, 100 files at a time, the server would still have to query all of them and put them in the appropriate order to know which 100 to show next.

I think I will look at other ways to construct the query, so it's more understandable to me, and just in case it ends up making a difference in performance.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
If you order the data on the DB level and use offset and limit you still won't have to load all the data. e.g something like:

Model.order('some_column DESC').offset(page_number * display_results_number).limit(display_results_number)

Gmaz fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 3, 2015

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Peristalsis posted:

This is kind of what I'm thinking. I guess I was hoping there was a "magically_show_more_data_than_realistically_possible" gem. Or maybe a "never use .includes with more than 100 rows or one dependency, use this other method instead" rule of thumb.

The problem (aside from having to rewire a sizable chunk of the app) would be with sorting. We let users sort the files by owner, by file name, etc. So to show only, say, 100 files at a time, the server would still have to query all of them and put them in the appropriate order to know which 100 to show next.

I think I will look at other ways to construct the query, so it's more understandable to me, and just in case it ends up making a difference in performance.

Sorting should be done on the DB and shouldn't be an issue.

I recommend using Kaminari for paging. It's a solid toolset and the maintainer isn't as much of a dick as the will paginate guy.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

probably not your answer

Ruby has protobuffs libraries too: https://github.com/protobuf-ruby/beefcake

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Yes but they don't deserialize things in a browser!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I started using Delayed Job in an app. Whats the best way to get the workers running? There's a script for it, but right now we have to run it form the console. We are not using capistrano and so far all the suggestions are for capistrano. So, whats the best practice for getting it started? The commands is RAILS_ENV=production delayed_job/script start -n5

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

KoRMaK posted:

I started using Delayed Job in an app. Whats the best way to get the workers running? There's a script for it, but right now we have to run it form the console. We are not using capistrano and so far all the suggestions are for capistrano. So, whats the best practice for getting it started? The commands is RAILS_ENV=production delayed_job/script start -n5

Use Sucker Punch for async and whenever for scheduled... drop delayed job, it's a PITA.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

kayakyakr posted:

Use Sucker Punch for async and whenever for scheduled... drop delayed job, it's a PITA.

Backgrounding tasks within your web workers with absolutely no guarantees of job durability or completion is a terrible idea. If a worker dies for some reason any jobs that haven't run will be lost.

Delayed Job and other tools architected like it (read: with background worker processes and a persistent storage mechanism) are far more reliable and make a guarantee that a job will be completed. If you outgrow using the database for jobs, switch to Sidekiq or Resque. Sucker Punch is a hack for async on the free tier of Heroku when you only have one process to run in and shouldn't be used in any real production environment.

Thalagyrt fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 15, 2015

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thalagyrt posted:

Backgrounding tasks within your web workers with absolutely no guarantees of job durability or completion is a terrible idea. If a worker dies for some reason any jobs that haven't run will be lost.

Delayed Job and other tools architected like it (read: with background worker processes and a persistent storage mechanism) are far more reliable and make a guarantee that a job will be completed. If you outgrow using the database for jobs, switch to Sidekiq or Resque. Sucker Punch is a hack for async on the free tier of Heroku when you only have one process to run in and shouldn't be used in any real production environment.

The others are also PITA to deploy, as KoRMaK is finding. If you plug in to the new ActiveJob stuff, then you're framework-flexible and can switch to whichever when you're ready to improve your deploy.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

kayakyakr posted:

The others are also PITA to deploy, as KoRMaK is finding. If you plug in to the new ActiveJob stuff, then you're framework-flexible and can switch to whichever when you're ready to improve your deploy.

How is Delayed Job anything at all resembling PITA to deploy? Set up supervisor or runit or whatever the heck you want to use to run a couple instances of bundle exec rake jobs:work and you're done. Add a couple command line options to write out pidfiles if you want to be able to easily restart them with say Capistrano.

Edit: If you're deploying on Heroku or similar PaaS or even just using Foreman on a VPS it's even easier. Just add worker: bundle exec rake jobs:work to your procfile and you're done.

In KoRMaK's case, I'd advise setting up supervisor. It's really rather easy - just have to get it to switch users to the right user and then run rake jobs:work and you're done. It can be done in about 15 minutes if you've never touched supervisor before.

Thalagyrt fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 16, 2015

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

kayakyakr posted:

Too late, already well embedded. And SuckerPunch isn't a queuing system.

Thalagyrt posted:

I'd advise setting up supervisor. It's really rather easy - just have to get it to switch users to the right user and then run rake jobs:work and you're done. It can be done in about 15 minutes if you've never touched supervisor before.

Cool, I'm checking supervisor out.

...it is kind of a pita tho :-/

(im a bad computer person)

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 16, 2015

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ugh, supervisor wants non-damoenized tasks, but the delayed job script is damoenized and the rake task doesn't let me specify multiple workers.

Should I just run rake jobs:work multiple times if I want multiple workers?

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

Ugh, supervisor wants non-damoenized tasks, but the delayed job script is damoenized and the rake task doesn't let me specify multiple workers.

Should I just run rake jobs:work multiple times if I want multiple workers?

Yeah, just run them as foreground workers. I have 4 services set up with runit for mine, and have delayed_job configured to write out pid files so I can just kill `cat delayed_job.*.pid` to restart all the workers. Here's my runfile for runit - you should be able to do the same with supervisor easily. My ~/shared/environment file just loads up all the env variables - RAILS_ENV and other config.

code:
#!/bin/sh
su - betaforce -c "source ~/shared/environment && cd ~/current && bundle exec ruby bin/delayed_job run --identifier 1"
Adjust to taste.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Thalagyrt posted:

Yeah, just run them as foreground workers. I have 4 services set up with runit for mine, and have delayed_job configured to write out pid files so I can just kill `cat delayed_job.*.pid` to restart all the workers. Here's my runfile for runit - you should be able to do the same with supervisor easily. My ~/shared/environment file just loads up all the env variables - RAILS_ENV and other config.

code:
#!/bin/sh
su - betaforce -c "source ~/shared/environment && cd ~/current && bundle exec ruby bin/delayed_job run --identifier 1"
Adjust to taste.
I need to get better at the linux.

What does the --identifier option do? I'm not finding any info on it. And where are the pid files at? They were showing up in my pids dir when I did "delayed_job start" but when I do "delayed_job run" they don't show up.

e: ps aux helps finding all the processes. I still don't see the purpose of --indentifier though

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 16, 2015

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

I need to get better at the linux.

What does the --identifier option do? I'm not finding any info on it. And where are the pid files at? They were showing up in my pids dir when I did "delayed_job start" but when I do "delayed_job run" they don't show up.

It's explained right in the manual for delayed_job: https://github.com/collectiveidea/delayed_job/wiki/Delayed-job-command-details

It adds the numeric identifier to the process name, so you'll see delayed_job.1, delayed_job.2, etc.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Thalagyrt posted:

It's explained right in the manual for delayed_job: https://github.com/collectiveidea/delayed_job/wiki/Delayed-job-command-details

It adds the numeric identifier to the process name, so you'll see delayed_job.1, delayed_job.2, etc.
Dammit, I need to browse the wiki pages instead of google searching and get more sleep.

Thank you so much!

e: Where should I see delayed_job.x? I'm looking in the system monitor and ps aux and not seeing anything but the console script I executed.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 16, 2015

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

Dammit, I need to browse the wiki pages instead of google searching and get more sleep.

Thank you so much!

e: Where should I see delayed_job.x? I'm looking in the system monitor and ps aux and not seeing anything but the console script I executed.

It will show up in the pidfile written out by delayed_job, which ends up in RAILS_ROOT/tmp/pids. Setting the identifier will cause the pidfile to be written out as delayed_job.identifier.pid instead of delayed_job.pid, which lets you keep track of each one individually.

code:
betaforce@portal:~/current/tmp/pids$ ls
delayed_job.1.pid  delayed_job.2.pid  delayed_job.3.pid  delayed_job.4.pid  puma.pid  scheduler_daemon.pid

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Thalagyrt posted:

It will show up in the pidfile written out by delayed_job, which ends up in RAILS_ROOT/tmp/pids. Setting the identifier will cause the pidfile to be written out as delayed_job.identifier.pid instead of delayed_job.pid, which lets you keep track of each one individually.

code:
betaforce@portal:~/current/tmp/pids$ ls
delayed_job.1.pid  delayed_job.2.pid  delayed_job.3.pid  delayed_job.4.pid  puma.pid  scheduler_daemon.pid
I thought thats where it should be but I can't find it. I looked in my home directory/tmp/pids and the rails/tmp/pids directory and then did a search for everything with pid or delayed_job and I'm not finding any files.

Oh I think I get what was wrong. pid's usually only get made when a process is daemonized, and using delayed_job run keeps it in the foreground, thus no pid files.

Looks like they have an article on how to setup delayed job with monit https://github.com/collectiveidea/delayed_job/wiki/monitor-process

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 16, 2015

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

I thought thats where it should be but I can't find it. I looked in my home directory/tmp/pids and the rails/tmp/pids directory and then did a search for everything with pid or delayed_job and I'm not finding any files.

Oh I think I get what was wrong. pid's usually only get made when a process is daemonized, and using delayed_job run keeps it in the foreground, thus no pid files.

Looks like they have an article on how to setup delayed job with monit https://github.com/collectiveidea/delayed_job/wiki/monitor-process

The pid files should be created whether or not it's daemonized. It's certainly created in my setup, and you can see the script I'm using to start it - it's not running daemonized. It won't be created if you start it with rake, though.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Here's a dumb question: I have rvm installed as my user, but when I go into sudo mode and do rvm it says its not installed. As sudo, I source my users bashrc file thinking that will fix it, but it doesn't.

Do I need to install RVM as sudo/root?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KoRMaK posted:

Here's a dumb question: I have rvm installed as my user, but when I go into sudo mode and do rvm it says its not installed. As sudo, I source my users bashrc file thinking that will fix it, but it doesn't.

Why sudo at all?

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

You don't want a web site running as root. Why are you using sudo?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm trying to get monit to launch the delayed_job script with the right env stuff. I thought I had to install rvm as sudo because monit likes to run stuff as sudo.

That was a couple hours ago, and I've come a long way since then, here's what I found works

On my local vm

start program = "/bin/su - kormak -c 'cd /media/my_app; script/delayed_job start -i 1'"

In production it changes to
start program = "/bin/su -c 'cd /media/my_app; script/delayed_job start -i 1'"

Seems pretty obvious now, but I didn't understand what I was doing and dropped the -c so it kept crashing. I then started using /bin/bash but it didn't work at first either until I used the -l (--login) option, so either /bin/su above works or this
start program = "/bin/bash -l -c 'cd /media/my_app; script/delayed_job start -i 1'"

So the adventure is over! I did it! And I learned more about linux and the different shells and how to montor processes and a little bit of sysadmining. :feelsgood:

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 18, 2015

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

I'm trying to get monit to launch the delayed_job script with the right env stuff. I thought I had to install rvm as sudo because monit likes to run stuff as sudo.

That was a couple hours ago, and I've come a long way since then, here's what I found works

On my local vm

start program = "/bin/su - kormak -c 'cd /media/my_app; script/delayed_job start -i 1'"

In production it changes to
start program = "/bin/su -c 'cd /media/my_app; script/delayed_job start -i 1'"

Seems pretty obvious now, but I didn't understand what I was doing and dropped the -c so it kept crashing. I then started using /bin/bash but it didn't work at first either until I used the -l (--login) option, so either /bin/su above works or this
start program = "/bin/bash -l -c 'cd /media/my_app; script/delayed_job start -i 1'"

So the adventure is almost over. Monit starts the thing, but then it reports that it failed to execute which is confusing and I can't stop it using monit.

Why are you trying to run delayed_job as root? Run it as the user that owns your web site, just like you do on your local VM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Thalagyrt posted:

Why are you trying to run delayed_job as root? Run it as the user that owns your web site, just like you do on your local VM.
Yep, fixed.