Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
New exploration committee rule: you have to make a facebook page for your possible run and if you can pass 1k likes, then you get to make an announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

jeb bush looks like poo poo

On the other hand, that's not a bad suit and I bet it's buttoned correctly.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Raskolnikov38 posted:

New exploration committee rule: you have to make a facebook page for your possible run and if you can pass 1k likes, then you get to make an announcement.

With this system I wil never be so much as city dog catcher.

We need a redistribution of likes.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Does anyone have an explanation for Chafee? Is he bored or just delusional? Does he have a billionaire friend ready to dump wheelbarrows full of cash into a PAC?

edit: or is a failed Presidential campaign now basically an internship for a talking head gig?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Does anyone have an explanation for Chafee? Is he bored or just delusional? Does he have a billionaire friend ready to dump wheelbarrows full of cash into a PAC?

edit: or is a failed Presidential campaign now basically an internship for a talking head gig?

I think that's his route now. He doesn't want the VP seat apparently as he outright called Clinton out for Iraq. I think his career is dying and he wants speaking gigs.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

jeb bush looks like poo poo

I honestly thought it was Tom Cotton when I first looked at it.

Seraphic Sphere
Oct 26, 2008
America wants a frumpy politician that buttons their coat once in the middle and runs out on stage. That's not an accident.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Also, associating knowing how to wear clothes and look good with class status is, itself, bougie as gently caress.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Chantilly Say posted:

Also, associating knowing how to wear clothes and look good with class status is, itself, bougie as gently caress.

In a country that bombed union workers from airplanes for trying not to be bougie as gently caress.

We're bougie as gently caress and if anybody is wearing non-American made suits that is the true dispute.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.
Talking about which ways to wear suits are and are not bougie? Does it smell like LF in here to anyone else right now?

The way I wear suits is the socialest.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I've got the bougie woogie fever.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm desperately waiting for a candidate that says "gently caress it" and wears nothing but Hawaiin shirts, because that poo poo is comfortable and I want my Commander In Chief to not be fretting with his corporate monkey suit.

Seraphic Sphere
Oct 26, 2008

Chantilly Say posted:

Not putting a lot of care in your appearance can't be discounted as an accident considering the political obsession with optics. They want to look affable and approachable, and looking awkward in a suit also sends a message that they're an outsider, at heart a real working class American, etc. The idea of liberals bashing their bad suits and then getting into a spat over whether they're outing their latent classism by doing so is probably a nice bonus too. It seems obvious now that it's been pointed out, but I never in a million years would've noticed how badly dressed these guys are on my own because I'm a slovenly gently caress who never wears suits, and that's not atypical among working class republicans.

Plisk
Mar 27, 2007

No one's going to
take me alive.
Time has come to
make things right.
I want my Bernie Sanders. :(

The Clintons are seriously Machiavellian. Why would Democrats trust her? I mean, I get it, some really want a woman president, but why not Warren when she runs? We know she will at some point.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Plisk posted:

The Clintons are seriously Machiavellian. Why would Democrats trust her? I mean, I get it, some really want a woman president, but why not Warren when she runs? We know she will at some point.

Warren's not running and Clinton has name recognition and a lot of money. As far as I can tell that's literally it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Plisk posted:

Because she is a better candidate and will be a better President. I want Bernie to stay in Congress where he's more effective.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Plisk posted:

Warren won't run and Hillary Clinton has a lot of money behind her so she's probably the only democrat who can win the general election.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm desperately waiting for a candidate that says "gently caress it" and wears nothing but Hawaiin shirts, because that poo poo is comfortable and I want my Commander In Chief to not be fretting with his corporate monkey suit.

How about a vest with no shirt?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Chantilly Say posted:

Because she is a better candidate and will be a better President. I want Bernie to stay in Congress where he's more effective.

I believe Bernie will retire with no Presidential win, but I hope I'm wrong, and he goes back to Vermont with his head held high, that he helped make Clinton think about how not-fully right-wing the electorate has become, compared to say when she was First Lady.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Plisk posted:

No, she won't, and people trust Hillary because Hillary's been part of national politics for decades and is a pretty well known variable.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Joementum posted:

How about a vest with no shirt?

Hey now, Vermin Supreme has class. He's wearing two ties.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
JTRIG: the thread. :P

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Bicyclops posted:

Hey now, Vermin Supreme has class. He's wearing two ties.

Does Scott Walker have a belt with a fist holding an American flag attached to it? If not, why does he hate America?

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Joementum posted:

Move aside, Scott Walker.

I am a fan of Rick Perry, who as it happens is not all that much like my brother with the same name.. but yeah he 'seems presidential' which one might think 'doesn't matter' but actually is an important characteristic. Jimmy Carter never 'seemed presidential' & he was somewhat ineffectual, while GWB mostly just seemed presidential and let others do the dirty work for him

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Why do people keep assuming Warren is going to run when she's never shown any interest at all in doing so? I mean seriously you guys

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Why do people keep assuming Warren is going to run when she's never shown any interest at all in doing so? I mean seriously you guys

Well there was that "wink wink" cameo on Alpha House…

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

"OMG she's wearing running shoes surely that's a covert signal!!!"- A thing that was actually said.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Martin please

quote:

O'Malley kept up the heat in appearances on ABC over the weekend and on Monday. He told host George Stephanopoulos: "I believe that the presidency is a sacred trust, and I believe that we are best served by giving the choice of who our president should be to the people of the United States and not to the big banks on Wall Street."

But a source tells me that in November 2013, O'Malley schmoozed with some of those Wall Street bullies in a private dining room at Lever House, a fancy restaurant in Midtown Manhattan.

The guest list, according to the source, included Robert Wolf, a top Wall Street supporter of President Barack Obama (who now is supporting Hillary Clinton for president), Marvin Rosen, a Wall Street attorney and at least one Goldman Sachs executive. The event was a meet and greet and not a fundraiser, O'Malley's staff points out. But you generally don't sit down with Wall Street political rainmakers without hope of eventually wringing big checks out of them.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://www.facebook.com/MittRomneyForPresident2016

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

it's ok, by failing to win Wall Street's support, you know that he's not in the pocket of Wall Street

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

I just wanna know if he lost the contest. I bet he did.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

But we put up a documented bully last time and you gave us poo poo for that too. There's no pleasing you guys!

Except he wanted to pretend he wasn't Scrooge McDuck.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

That intern-looking young guy in the background with the bowtie is like collegerepublican.jpg

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

my bony fealty posted:

That intern-looking young guy in the background with the bowtie is like collegerepublican.jpg

What he has to say about the effect of minimum wage laws may surprise you...it turns conventional wisdom, as it were, on its head, as it were.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

SedanChair posted:

What he has to say about the effect of minimum wage laws may surprise you...it turns conventional wisdom, as it were, on its head, as it were.

As a former college Republican who has since matured a little bit (ok, just a smidgen but IT COUNTS!), Quality zinger! Quoting this one for posterity

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

A lot of Rahm Emanuel's young staffers try to pull off the bowtie look too. What's with that? Is it the new aspirational elite look?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The X-man cometh posted:

A lot of Rahm Emanuel's young staffers try to pull off the bowtie look too. What's with that? Is it the new aspirational elite look?

Not sure myself but let's see what the fashion experts in this thread think!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
In every generation of wonks, there are always some who say "I'm a maverick...watch this poo poo" *slowly opens bow tie case*

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Bowties are just a way to signal "rich and trying to look suave" to other rich whites.

Edit: Much like a Rubio campaign button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Bow ties are for attending events that require them by regulation, people who want to be like Tucker Carlson, children, and sedan chairs' aforementioned political maverick wannabes.

Also Pee-wee Herman, so it's not all bad news.

• Locked thread