Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
My wedding is in 6 days. How do I dance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery

bartkusa posted:

My wedding is in 6 days. How do I dance?

Like no one is watching :classiclol:

Serious answer: seems kinda late in the game for a lesson, just move whatever feels good.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Vortex Street posted:

Like no one is watching :classiclol:

Serious answer: seems kinda late in the game for a lesson, just move whatever feels good.

This is an excellent answer.

If it'll make you feel better you can post what city you live in and I can try to dig up some dance teachers there. I promise you, we're not trying to hide; but we do tend to have facebook pages more often then full websites. If you want to waltz this video isn't entirely terrible.

Adequate Panther
Oct 28, 2013

So I went to a good friends wedding last night in some fancy country club. The ceremony was wonderful and I decided to get get a little drunk because open bar.
As the reception started to wind down the DJ played some slow songs and I made a request. I asked him to play Rains of Castamere from Game of Thrones.

Now, for those of you that don't know, that is the song that was playing during The Red Wedding. When Robb Stark got murdered, along with a few hundred of his closest friends and allies

Anyways, the bride and groom were the only ones left on the dance floor at this point, and they are both huge GoT fans. As the first few eerie notes rolled out they both hesitated in their slow dance. I sprinted in from behind the groom and jumped on his back, wrapping him in a head lock. I then whispered in his ear, loud enough that the bride could hear too, "The Lannisters send their regards".

This was possibly one of the best moments of my life.

Hobson
Oct 19, 2009

This is not the way I wish to be remembered.
Can any Massachusetts brides confidently recommend a bridal stores for a dress? I want to avoid David's Bridal. I have no idea where to start. The closer to the south Shore, the better.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
This picture has been making rounds. I'm sure this thread will appreciate it:

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
I think that's how the red wedding happened.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Thread is pretty slow for wedding season, so I'll kick it up...

Just got engaged over the weekend! She loved the ring, and I think going quality over size helped (she also has small hands, so some 1.5-2c ring would look ridiculous on her.. We are trying to settle on a venue and date, and wanted to ask a question about alcohol.

Hotel A is charging $49/person for an open bar for five hours.

Hotel B is charging $25/$30/$35 (based on the quality tier you choose) per person PER HOUR for an open bar.

Hotel B is full of poo poo, right? At 100 people with the middle tier, that's $15k on booze for the typical five hour reception.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
Holy poo poo that's ridiculous. I'm paying $5 a person for the bar service and mixers, and then I'm buying all the actual booze at Costco. If the caterer provided the alcohol, I think it was $30/person for top shelf for the whole night.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Where do you live? Those prices are exorbitant. Our caterer offered us $11.00 per person for their premium open bar for 4 hours plus like $125 per bartender, other caterers in the area are like $10-15 for 4 hours of open bar. We decided to hire their bartender but buy our own booze and mixers, ended up being like $7 a person for us and we had plenty of leftover booze.

Edit: $30 is also really expensive, Jamais Vu Again where do YOU live?

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 3, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

$25 per person per hour? Are these American dollars? I couldn't spend that much money drinking in a real bar for more than an hour. And that's the lowest tier!

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

We're getting married in Monterey, CA where everything is super expensive.

The caterer sent me a timeline today with a two hour gap between the end of the ceremony and beginning of dinner, and then an hour for dancing. I delegated my fiancé to deal with it so that I don't curse anyone out. Why oh why oh dear god why didn't we just elope?!

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

This is the Peadbody Hotel in Memphis, TN. See below:

Another local hotel, The Madison, charges $49/hour. I want to cry, as everyone coming would be drinking quite a bit.

ThePhreak
Aug 17, 2004

Can you feel that...That thang that's beatin' in your doggone chest like that...Can you feel that?!?!

Omne posted:

This is the Peadbody Hotel in Memphis, TN. See below:

Another local hotel, The Madison, charges $49/hour. I want to cry, as everyone coming would be drinking quite a bit.

Based on the image you posted, I don't know where you're getting $15,000 from...

If you chose the middle tier, it is a base cost of $30, plus an additional $36 for the next 4 hours (at $9/hour).

$30 + $36 = $66
$66 * 100 = $6,600

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

ThePhreak posted:

Based on the image you posted, I don't know where you're getting $15,000 from...

If you chose the middle tier, it is a base cost of $30, plus an additional $36 for the next 4 hours (at $9/hour).

$30 + $36 = $66
$66 * 100 = $6,600

The image posted doesn't say $30 per person for the first hour. It says $30 per person, per hour. So I think it's $30 + $39*4 per person for 5 hours.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Rurutia posted:

The image posted doesn't say $30 per person for the first hour. It says $30 per person, per hour. So I think it's $30 + $39*4 per person for 5 hours.

It's worded poorly. You pay an initial charge and the smaller charge every hour after the first one.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Psychobabble posted:

It's worded poorly. You pay an initial charge and the smaller charge every hour after the first one.

If you know that for sure, then it's not just worded poorly, it's worded wrong. That's probably why the OP was confused.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

These prices are just blowing my mind. Even if it is the cheaper interpretation, for 4 hours of the silver open bar you're looking at $25 + 3 * $8 = $49 per person for just alcohol. I mean if you were in like New York City or San Francisco I could maybe kind of understand, but Memphis doesn't exactly strike me as an expensive city.

Dare I ask what the prices are for the dinner catering?

I'd get clarification on the pricing first, and then unless this is absolutely your dream venue and you have a ton of disposable money I would immediately look elsewhere because that is completely unreasonable. Alcohol is just not something you need to spend a lot of money on for a wedding, you and your spouse will not reminisce about the booze at your wedding. It is there to make your guests happy and they will be just as happy with a reasonably priced alternative.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 4, 2015

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Mind_Taker posted:

These prices are just blowing my mind. Even if it is the cheaper interpretation, for 4 hours of the silver open bar you're looking at $25 + 3 * $8 = $49 per person for just alcohol. I mean if you were in like New York City or San Francisco I could maybe kind of understand, but Memphis doesn't exactly strike me as an expensive city.

Dare I ask what the prices are for the dinner catering?

I'd get clarification on the pricing first, and then unless this is absolutely your dream venue and you have a ton of disposable money I would immediately look elsewhere because that is completely unreasonable. Alcohol is just not something you need to spend a lot of money on for a wedding, you and your spouse will not reminisce about the booze at your wedding. It is there to make your guests happy and they will be just as happy with a reasonably priced alternative.

Can confirm it is outrageously overpriced. Sure, it'd be great to get married there, but the cost is too much for us, even with the cheaper interpretation (for the record, another hotel in the area charges $49/person for five hours of open bar). Memphis isn't an expensive city, except when it is, and weddings are apparently a time when it is.

An example buffet menu: Salads, cole slaw, ribs, BBQ chicken, BBQ brisket, catfish, baked beans, sweet potatos, veggies, assorted desserts is $61/person. And there is a 23% service fee on top of everything, THEN 9.25% sales tax. A friend of mine owns a BBQ catering company in town, their rate is $7.75/person for the same stuff minus the desserts. gently caress that noise.

Our other options are a few art galleries/event spaces that give you cart blanche for catering and stuff. I'd prefer that, get my friend's company to do food, and buy our own alcohol and pay for two bartenders. I know what everyone drinks, I don't need a full bar. Bud, Bud Light, Basil Hayden's, Jamison, a vodka, a red and a white wine. Done.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there a venue rental fee on top of that?

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

We are doing an art museum but had to choose from their 4 contracted caterers.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
WTF! Am I crazy for thinking $1300 for Tablecloth rental is outrageous?!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They are pretty expensive in my opinion, like $20-30 each, but I'm not sure how you could possibly get to $1300.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

OssiansFolly posted:

For how many tables? Either way that sounds insane.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

For how many tables? Either way that sounds insane.

I got a screenshot from my fiancé and they wanted $37/ea to rent tablecloths...polyester...grey...tablecloths. My own research shows I can BUY them for $9-10/ea. Holy poo poo these rental companies are vultures. $2/ea for chair sashes and $1.50/ea to rent napkins.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Keep in mind that they do press them, which is kinda sucky to do yourself for a dozen large tablecloths.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Tablecloth rentals were immediately axed from our plans as soon as we saw the prices as well. I honestly don't know why anyone would rent table linens since most places will provide basic table cloths, and if they don't you can buy a bulk package of white linen for cheaper than renting in it most cases and sell it pretty easily afterwards.

I mean I guess if you absolutely NEED a very specific color it makes sense.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

smackfu posted:

Keep in mind that they do press them, which is kinda sucky to do yourself for a dozen large tablecloths.

Eh my mom will iron them for me in a couple hours...she actually likes ironing for some reason...

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Tablecloth rentals were immediately axed from our plans as soon as we saw the prices as well. I honestly don't know why anyone would rent table linens since most places will provide basic table cloths, and if they don't you can buy a bulk package of white linen for cheaper than renting in it most cases and sell it pretty easily afterwards.

I mean I guess if you absolutely NEED a very specific color it makes sense.

I mean, we want grey table cloths, but still I can BUY them for a quarter of what it costs to rent them. Then when I am done I can give them to people to make forts in their living room with kids or donate them to a church as a tax write off.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
If you're at that stage of life where everyone you know is getting married, it's really easy to offload wedding supplies too. We bought a poo poo ton of vases since we did our own flowers and those vases have attended multiple weddings at this point since they just keep getting passed from friend to friend. I don't even know where they ended up but they're not taking up space in my house anymore so I don't care.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I'm planning on getting compostable silver, flat, and drinkware. We are going to be outside, so it's not quite so out of place. And I can get a full set of silverware for the price of one piece of silverware rented. Plates are roughly the same, 1/3 the price. Cups are even more expensive for rentals.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

OssiansFolly posted:

Jesus Christ, I *bought * mine for a lot less.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Planning a largish tent wedding is like forever zooming in on a fractal, there is no end to the small details.

Also, it's today.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

errol _flynn posted:

Jesus Christ, I *bought * mine for a lot less.

Yea we BOUGHT them online yesterday for a fraction of the cost to rent them. Table Cloths were $9/ea, Napkins were $2.25/five, and Chair Sashes were $2.50/five. Holy gently caress are rental companies bullshit. I will likely donate what is left over to some people I know that have kids (for tents in the living room) and the rest to churches locally as a write off for taxes.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It is accomplished. I can't believe I no longer have to plan this thing.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Is it appropriate to invite people to your bachelor party that aren't invited to your wedding?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Budget Dracula posted:

Is it appropriate to invite people to your bachelor party that aren't invited to your wedding?

I've been kicking this around too...I have some REALLY fun acquaintances that I see a couple times each year, but I can't afford to invite every person I ever met to the wedding. I've told people where the bachelor party is being held (for me it is just drinking all day at Put In Bay in OH), and told them I am sorry but due to costs I can't invite everyone to the wedding/reception and would love if they could just come have some fun. My fiancé looked at me weird for inviting them, but I've known them for 8 years and see them a few times a year...

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

OssiansFolly posted:

I've been kicking this around too...I have some REALLY fun acquaintances that I see a couple times each year, but I can't afford to invite every person I ever met to the wedding. I've told people where the bachelor party is being held (for me it is just drinking all day at Put In Bay in OH), and told them I am sorry but due to costs I can't invite everyone to the wedding/reception and would love if they could just come have some fun. My fiancé looked at me weird for inviting them, but I've known them for 8 years and see them a few times a year...

People get their feelings hurt so easily, that it seems weird to me to invite people to the bachelor party that weren't invited to the wedding. Something just seems off about it.

Speaking of something feeling off at bachelor parties, mine was yesterday (Sunday) and we went for 16 hours before we gave in and passed out because some of us had to work...sometime during the night my future BIL got really somber and depressed about his dad, whom they just found out has bone cancer in over 20 different spots in his body, and this AFTER quitting drinking cold turkey and being a recovering alcoholic, AND after beating esophageal cancer. So that really colored the mood last night. It wasn't his fault, though I'm already having trouble dealing with his sister's emotions when I come home because she's a train wreck about her dad having cancer again. Other than that and it being on a Sunday, it was a pretty good bachelor party.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I feel like if you are going to invite someone to the bachelor party, you should invite them to the wedding. If for no other reason, they are likely to pay for your drinks/dinner/cabs whatever at your bachelor party so the least you can do is give them food and booze at your wedding.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

I feel like if you are going to invite someone to the bachelor party, you should invite them to the wedding. If for no other reason, they are likely to pay for your drinks/dinner/cabs whatever at your bachelor party so the least you can do is give them food and booze at your wedding.

Which makes sense...if you can afford it. I didn't hide anything from them. They know that it isn't anything personal and they are my friends, but I just can't afford to invite everyone I'd like to to the wedding. Just like there are extended family my mother would like me to invite, but I had to say no. I am paying everything out of pocket and would love to, but I just can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Yeah I am probably just going to make sure everyone is invited to the wedding or not call it a bachelor party.