Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

That is def. the same guy in that pic, lighting the cig. I guess I've misremembered or something.

It happens. Both he and Waltz were so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

socketwrencher posted:

It happens. Both he and Waltz were so good.

For truth though he calls out Fassbinder for the way he orders drinks. He mightve been onto them earlier, but that's the kicker for sure.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

For truth though he calls out Fassbinder for the way he orders drinks. He mightve been onto them earlier, but that's the kicker for sure.

Yeah he was this close to a clean getaway. If I was the the Gestapo guy I wouldn't have tipped my hand, being outnumbered as he was. Better to leave and come back with a squad.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Snapchat A Titty posted:

;) :hf: :haw:

But it must be very strange with those pauses. I've watched a couple clips on youtube where the laughs've been been cut out, and it's just so agonizingly slow. How can you stand it without at least the dumb sound of forced laughter dragging away your intention? It's literally just people staring at each other for seconds.

E: To be fair I did enjoy Frasier though I haven't watched it in years.

I'm not actually stone deaf, I'm just hard of hearing about enough to not understand speech at movie speed. If people talk to me in real life I usually understand a lot because I'm wearing implants. But I when I watch sitcoms just with subtitles the missing laugh track doesn't bother me, I'm just used to pauses meaning "everyone laugh". :haw:

However, there was a deaf sitcom pilot last winter, called "Small World" which is region blocked to UK viewers now I think, so I can't verify, but I'm fairly sure they just paused whenever there was a gag, like in hearing sitcoms. I don't know if that was intentional but it's there.

morestuff posted:

Miller's explicitly said his goal was to make a movie that worked as a silent film, so you should be good.

Okay this owns. Thanks!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Zwille posted:

However, there was a deaf sitcom pilot last winter, called "Small World" which is region blocked to UK viewers now I think, so I can't verify, but I'm fairly sure they just paused whenever there was a gag, like in hearing sitcoms. I don't know if that was intentional but it's there.

Like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkNVgrOJfl0

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Sort of. They'd mask it by having people look bewildered as hell. When I watch Big Bang Theory without sound (shut up, it's gotten good) that's what it looks like too. I don't really think it changes the show much for what it's worth. It's not suddenly Depressing Autism Documentary like everyone says.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

We were discussing Tarkovsky BluRays earlier, and just so people know, the quality of the Nostalghia BluRay is subpar. The print is full of scratches and the audio hisses and pops like a scratched record. The celluloid scratches are a price I can pay for the added resolution and shadow detail, but the audio is a bit unnerving. If you ripped the DVD audio and synced it to the BluRay it'd be a little more acceptable, I guess.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
That's a bummer to hear. The one for The Sacrifice was immaculate.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Zogo posted:

You put on headphones and a narrator details what is happening on the screen. I haven't tried that (no need to) but I have listened to some of those tracks that were on DVDs I rented. The narrator just goes into varying levels of detail at various points when important things or settings are being shown.

I just want to chime in that there are moments in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo that are pretty interesting to hear/see in this format.

Frozen is pretty nice, too, since the narrator has a kindly old lady voice and sounds like she's reading a storybook to you.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
Why are movies that you'd think would be popular for online rental not available? For example, I was going to rent Guardians of the Galaxy to watch on my computer, but Amazon, iTunes, et al only have it available to buy -- despite it having been available for rental closer to its digital release. Why bother taking it down at all? It's certainly not an issue of a movie having to be popular/recent enough to merit availability, and if it's to drive up digital purchases, it seems like a silly move and a wasted opportunity. (I imagine that like me, a lot of people would be willing to pay $5-6 to rent, but not necessarily $20 to own.) I dunno, just seems kind of weird.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

tvb posted:

Why are movies that you'd think would be popular for online rental not available? For example, I was going to rent Guardians of the Galaxy to watch on my computer, but Amazon, iTunes, et al only have it available to buy -- despite it having been available for rental closer to its digital release. Why bother taking it down at all? It's certainly not an issue of a movie having to be popular/recent enough to merit availability, and if it's to drive up digital purchases, it seems like a silly move and a wasted opportunity. (I imagine that like me, a lot of people would be willing to pay $5-6 to rent, but not necessarily $20 to own.) I dunno, just seems kind of weird.

It might be part of a licensing agreement with HBO or Showtime or something like that, if it's currently being shown on one of the networks.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

edit: posted in "Recommend Me"

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Bugblatter posted:

We were discussing Tarkovsky BluRays earlier, and just so people know, the quality of the Nostalghia BluRay is subpar. The print is full of scratches and the audio hisses and pops like a scratched record. The celluloid scratches are a price I can pay for the added resolution and shadow detail, but the audio is a bit unnerving. If you ripped the DVD audio and synced it to the BluRay it'd be a little more acceptable, I guess.

Speaking of weird blues, the Crank 2 blue is weird because it needs a player with extra ram or somehing. Dunno why they did it like that, hope it's not the next trend.

And speaking of online rentals, why don't the studios make webpages with a searchable database of their film availability? It'd only cost a few coders a month of work to set up. And why does netflix delete stuff from your list when they lose streaming availability? Just gray it out til you get it back ffs.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
I would be annoyed if there was a bunch of poo poo listed on Netflix that was grayed out and unwatchable.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

poonchasta posted:

I would be annoyed if there was a bunch of poo poo listed on Netflix that was grayed out and unwatchable.

I just want to be able to rate things that aren't on instant to improve my suggestions. Right now there's a roundabout way that's just a pain in the rear end.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

poonchasta posted:

There is, but just not visibly. Their library is junk.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nolanar posted:

I just want to be able to rate things that aren't on instant to improve my suggestions. Right now there's a roundabout way that's just a pain in the rear end.

The modern drive towards simple interface apps is a loving catastrophe for people who expect computers and software to be tools. The features of netflix streaming apps are hilariously worthless. Netflix created this huge system to label and categorize entertainment, and the only way you benefit from it is by hoping it decides you want to watch a particular genre and displaying it for you. You can't search by genre, you can't search by tags.

I recently discovered that "recently watched" does exist on the PS4 hulu app, but I didn't find it sooner because it's in a list that looks like this

TV
MOVIES
TRAILERS
KIDS
QUEUE
ORIGINALS
VIDEO GAMES
HISTORY
LATINO
BRITISH
ANIME
KOREAN DRAMA
SETTINGS
HELP AND INFO

Is if really intuitive that "history" is my viewing history, and not the "history genre"? Is "kids" about my kids? No, it's television for children. Is video games a list of video games? no, it's a video-game related media. But my queue is on there. There's just no rhyme or reason to these interfaces. I don't know who's in charge of the apps for different platforms, but there is no quality control or brand consistancy.

The Amazon Fire hulu app is completely different from the PS4 one in every way. "But Snak, that makes sense, they are different platforms with different capabilities!" Then why doesn't the PS4 use any of the PS4's features? PS4 has a lot of great input options that make entereing text a snap, even without a keyboard. Instead of using this interface, they make us choose letters from non-standard onscreen keyboard they just pulled out of their rear end. The kind where there isn't a button for <space> and you have go all the way over to the side of the screen to select it.

This rant may seem a bit out of place in CinD general movie questions, but I guess the question I'm asking is "with the huge rise of digitally streaming media, how come no one has got their poo poo together to present a polished AND useful interface?"

Netflix probably has a pretty well built database under the hood, and then they give the task of designing the user interface to someone who is only concerned with the lowest common denominator. It's smoke and mirrors, too. It's not super useful to show you 4 genres of films, but most of the movies are on three of those lists. It means if you want to just browse, you might have 3 genres "Violent Action Films" "Gritty Crime Dramas" " Humorous Action Films" and "Dark Comedies" and you're going to have to scroll past Grosse Point Blank, Boondock Saints, Pulp Fiction
, Be Cool, Pineapple Express, etc on all four of those lists. I get it, they want to create the impression that their streaming library is larger than it is, which is also why they started changing the thumbnails biweekly.

I blame Apple for this crap. Never has software looked so nice and been so useless.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So are you just sperging about tags or is there something that could actually be improved?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

So are you just sperging about tags or is there something that could actually be improved?

Well I think app for the same streaming service should either be standardized across platforms OR make use of each platforms specific features. Right now, they are neither.

Menus should be organized and function in intuitive ways. It should be clear what is being displayed and navigation should be straightforward.

There should be options allowing the user to adjust what content is displayed. For example the ability to not show movies in more than one category, or to show movies that are not currently available for streaming. You should be able to search and filter content by things like release date, country of origin, director, etc.

If these features "clutter the screen" too much for casual users, hide them in an "advanced tools" tab or something, but it is the god damned 21st century and it is ridiculous how bare bones the software of the future is.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The basic thing is, it really should not be a problem to see EVERY title they have available, instead of just the curated lists. This is mainly directed at the browser and smart TV apps, on my laptop I can hunt down anything, and I've got my phone with me on the couch I can look up InstantWatcher and see what's actually there, but Netflix and Amazon Prime both have this problem- they're not giving you the full range, even if you look at a genre list they're not showing you every title in that category. They're showing you what's near the top based on what they think you want to watch. It's nice to have recommendations but it should be easier to go beyond them. It's as simple as that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Maxwell Lord posted:

The basic thing is, it really should not be a problem to see EVERY title they have available, instead of just the curated lists. This is mainly directed at the browser and smart TV apps, on my laptop I can hunt down anything, and I've got my phone with me on the couch I can look up InstantWatcher and see what's actually there, but Netflix and Amazon Prime both have this problem- they're not giving you the full range, even if you look at a genre list they're not showing you every title in that category. They're showing you what's near the top based on what they think you want to watch. It's nice to have recommendations but it should be easier to go beyond them. It's as simple as that.

Is it still not possible to look at a simple list on Netflix?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Not on the 360 or Google Fiber apps I have. If you want a specific title that's not on whatever lists it deigns to show you (sometimes they don't even bring up the "Recently Added" list!), you have to manually search, which is a pain without a physical keyboard. You can only browse what the apps choose to display.

With Amazon Prime, say, you can at least start to dig into more of the catalog with the "Customers Also Watched" screens, but rooting around in those narrow results can be a real time waster compared to actually seeing the entire catalog.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 2, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's like the most basic feature in the world and they never seemed to implement it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That feature is a Laptop Exclusive©TM afaik. People who own computers with parts other than a screen are dinosaurs

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
When I was doing dotcom consulting in my youth I wanted to move into user interface design because bad designs infuriate me so much.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
When watching netflix on my blue player I also haven't found a "start from beginning" option, so I have to hold down the rewind button for like 5 minutes like it's the loving vhs era, and they remember you pausing at the start of the end credits for -years-.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

therattle posted:

When I was doing dotcom consulting in my youth I wanted to move into user interface design because bad designs infuriate me so much.

I wish you had, because there's literally no way you could be worse at it than the people doing it now, an based on your posts and the fact you successfully produced a film, you have to be smarter than the people working on that poo poo now.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
I've mostly used Netflix on the PS3, but am I correct in remembering that the interface used to be much better, until 3-ish years ago?

I have a faint memory of it being much more comprehensive and easier to browse a larger collection of titles. Then they switched to something more restrictive like it is now.

I'd also swear that there used to be a "Watch from the beginning" option too.

And did they ever port that recommendation feature (Max I think it was called) that would talk to you to other platforms? It was fun every once in awhile, when somehow it was able to recommend a move that actually a) wasn't universally terrible or b) you'd not seen before. Neat idea in theory; surprised they didn't run with it a bit more.

Hell, I'm too lazy to check and I haven't used it in years. Is it even still there on PS3?

Capn Jobe fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 3, 2015

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

effectual posted:

When watching netflix on my blue player I also haven't found a "start from beginning" option, so I have to hold down the rewind button for like 5 minutes like it's the loving vhs era, and they remember you pausing at the start of the end credits for -years-.

Have you, instead, considered holding the fast forward button for 30 seconds, thus resetting the "last watched" and allowing you to click it again?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ALFbrot posted:

Have you, instead, considered holding the fast forward button for 30 seconds, thus resetting the "last watched" and allowing you to click it again?

It's like walkmans that didn't have rw so you'd ffw on the B side :whatup:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Capn Jobe posted:

Hell, I'm too lazy to check and I haven't used it in years. Is it even still there on PS3?

Yeah, still there.

Pretty much useless for movie buffs though, as i just runs through all its questions and then eventually goes "Welp, you've seen everything, I can't help you."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand the point of a recommendation feature if mostly recommends popular movies. Like, duh you already know those are options for movies to watch. I think Netflix should do like youtube and show the number of views each movie has. Obviously that don't want to do this, because they want every movie to look like it's the awesomest popularist thing.

But if there was a recommendation algorithm that recommended me the movies with the least views that it thought I would like, I could basically cheat at being a hipster, finding things before they have a chance to become cool.

Like, what's the LEAST POPULAR movie on netflix, and why? If you have a button that said "play the worst movie on netflix" A BUNCH of people would click it, which would make it quickly not become the least viewed/poorest rated.

Netflix is in a position to do the coolest loving poo poo and they are wasting it. They have the power to organize nationwide watch-events of movies that have not been in theaters for a long time. Like there should be netflix movie clubs, that have integrated selection features. Like you join a club, and to stay in it you have to watch the chosen movie every week. everyone in the club gets to add a movie to the queue. Just being in this club and writing reviews will get you community points proudly displayed next to your netflix username.

That's just some dumb idea I came up with just now, but literally any new features would be better than just shuffling the UI every few months.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Snak posted:

Netflix is in a position to do the coolest loving poo poo and they are wasting it. They have the power to organize nationwide watch-events of movies that have not been in theaters for a long time. Like there should be netflix movie clubs, that have integrated selection features. Like you join a club, and to stay in it you have to watch the chosen movie every week. everyone in the club gets to add a movie to the queue. Just being in this club and writing reviews will get you community points proudly displayed next to your netflix username.

That's just some dumb idea I came up with just now, but literally any new features would be better than just shuffling the UI every few months.

Netflix has become really savvy about developing and acquiring content, probably to the detriment of every other single aspect of their business. I mean, this is the same company that thought "Qwikster" was a good idea

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Netflix has become really savvy about developing and acquiring content, probably to the detriment of every other single aspect of their business. I mean, this is the same company that thought "Qwikster" was a good idea

Yeah, I'm really happy with what they have been doing. A few years ago, it felt like there was nothing good on netflix. It was in danger of becoming the "stream movies too lovely to buy" service. But that didn't happen, instead they used their position to find out what people who have their service want to watch. And then they started making shows that subscribers want to watch. That's all great. I just think that they could improve the actual user experience quite a bit, rather than just the product they are delivering.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
There is definitely a start from beginning on Apple TV and PS4.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Snak posted:

I don't understand the point of a recommendation feature if mostly recommends popular movies. Like, duh you already know those are options for movies to watch. I think Netflix should do like youtube and show the number of views each movie has. Obviously that don't want to do this, because they want every movie to look like it's the awesomest popularist thing.

But if there was a recommendation algorithm that recommended me the movies with the least views that it thought I would like, I could basically cheat at being a hipster, finding things before they have a chance to become cool.

Like, what's the LEAST POPULAR movie on netflix, and why? If you have a button that said "play the worst movie on netflix" A BUNCH of people would click it, which would make it quickly not become the least viewed/poorest rated.

Netflix: Hipster edition upgrade for only $4.95 would be interesting to see.

Snak posted:

I'm not 100% sure but it's probably safe to assume they're selling every bit of user information to marketing/data companies etc.
The company value has risen dramatically over the last three years: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=nflx

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

I'm not 100% sure but it's probably safe to assume they're selling every bit of user information to marketing/data companies etc.
The company value has risen dramatically over the last three years: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=nflx

I'm sure they are, I'm just saying I would like if they did more for their subscribers beyond delivering existing content.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
I've been lending a hand to a filmmaking friend (mostly a hobbyist, but with quite a bit of quality equipment) on several of his last few projects, and the next project has a scene set in the late evening. I mentioned shooting day-for-night to him, and I'll think we'll give it a shot just for the experience, but in a just-for-fun situation where crew is all volunteering and location/budget issues aren't a thing, should we bother with DFN or just actually shoot at night?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I've asked this question a few times, and I've never had it answered and I came across something that reminded me. There is a stock scream sound effect that I have heard in a few different places now, and I haven't been able to track down exactly what sound effect it is. So, let me start by prefacing it with this:

1) It's not the Wilhelm Scream -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbYsoEasio
2) It's not the Yaaargh Scream -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wC65vvk2_A
3) It's not the Tantrum Scream -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXEwcMFyLY0

This sound effect I have heard now in at least 3 places I can name specifically

1) When you fall off a building in Twisted Metal 2
2) At 0:15 of the Taylor Swift - Bad Blood music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcIy9NiNbmo?t=14s
3) At 2:15 of the Weird Al Yankovic - Jurassic Park music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh4zvQfDhi0?t=2m12s

Does anybody know the name of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

JoeRules posted:

I've been lending a hand to a filmmaking friend (mostly a hobbyist, but with quite a bit of quality equipment) on several of his last few projects, and the next project has a scene set in the late evening. I mentioned shooting day-for-night to him, and I'll think we'll give it a shot just for the experience, but in a just-for-fun situation where crew is all volunteering and location/budget issues aren't a thing, should we bother with DFN or just actually shoot at night?

This really depends on a number of factors - the quality of your equipment, if you have the time and ability to shoot at nights/edit clips to appear DTN, what angles you'll be filming from, the mood of the scenes, etc.

Personally I think it can be a fun learning experience, but I'd never deliberately shoot day to night unless I had too for more than one of the reasons above. It's a lot of effort and even professional video editor's are going to need time and the proper software to pull it off in post.