Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Apparently the CF spec has a much faster read speed than SD used to have -- only recently has SD been able to catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Autolyze posted:

It's probably wisest to leave the 4hp open until you've had a chance to play around with the rest of the system to figure out what seems to be "missing" for you. That said, the Disting uses 4hp and is extremely versatile. It tends to sell out extremely quickly and you might want to confirm that the Shared System PSU has enough juice left over for it though.

With 4hp to spare, it might also be worth considering Brains to give more functionality to the Pressure Points, or a Pip Slope as another flexible function generator. I feel like it's hard to have too many modulation sources, particularly when they're modulatable modulation sources.

Thanks for the advice :)
I'll probably leave that space blank as you mentioned for a little while. Got the modules you suggested saved to read up on.

I plan to record a lot of what i make, chop it up & rearrange it - is something like this http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/m-cv/usb-solo.shtml
the best way to keep it in sync with ableton? Want to be able to do a live jam over an ableton arrangement of drums & percussion, recording the whole time.
I have a focusrite 2i2 unfortunately, there's only one audio output and it's the master so I dont think I can send a cv clock with what I have.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 3, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

cubicle gangster posted:

I'll probably leave that space blank as you mentioned for a little while. Got the modules you suggested saved to read up on.

I plan to record a lot of what i make, chop it up & rearrange it - is something like this http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/m-cv/usb-solo.shtml
the best way to keep it in sync with ableton? Want to be able to do a live jam over an ableton arrangement of drums & percussion, recording the whole time.
I have a focusrite 2i2 unfortunately, there's only one audio output and it's the master so I dont think I can send a cv clock with what I have.

You'd have to sacrifice the Elements since it would require 8 hp, but Expert Sleepers is coming out with the FH-1 which is a USB interface version of their light-pipe/audio conversion modules and not only does it let you sequence and send clock from a computer but also from an ipad as well as each of the 8 outputs can act as additional LFO's in your setup. You'll probably have to upgrade your audio interface to the iconnectAUDIO since that's what they recommend to use it but $300 for a 4x4 interface with 3 USB in/outs isn't much if you're already planning on dropping 4k on a modular system.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I bought the Audio4 last weekend and it is the best. I love being able to take a synth on my iPad, send the audio out to a guitar pedal the route that back I to the iPad for further processing before I record it. It's also a MIDI host so Microbrute and MS-20 mini can finally talk to each other without needing the iPad as a go-between.

Only 2 USB in/outs tho. The third USB jack is for MIDI via a powered hub, so in theory you could have MIDI out to like 9 devices including the DIN. Only problem right now is that the iPad config app isn't out yet.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

A Winner is Jew posted:

You'd have to sacrifice the Elements since it would require 8 hp,

I'd rather not sacrifice the elements. The FH-1 seems like overkill too - I dont want to send any sequences, i just want it to stay in time. the cheapest possible way I can send a clock from ableton is all i'm after.

another $300 on top of whatever the fh-1 costs is like 10-15% on top of the total. i'm already pushing my budget at 4k, I cant just add 500 on a whim, and thats assuming the fh-1 is only $200.

e: could I use my shruthi to generate a clocked audio signal, and convert that to cv/use it directly? being able to do it with a midi channel would be great.

e2: or would this work - http://mutable-instruments.net/modules/cvpal
/could ableton see that as something to send midi information to?

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 3, 2015

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

cubicle gangster posted:

e: could I use my shruthi to generate a clocked audio signal, and convert that to cv/use it directly? being able to do it with a midi channel would be great.

Take a click from whatever, make sure it's good and loud, feed that into the signal input on the first channel of maths, give it an instantaneous attack and longer decay, take the end of rise gate from maths channel one as your clock. This is how I used to clock my setup using ableton/a four track tape recorder. Works a treat.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

cubicle gangster posted:

Good call. And you can do a lot with Elements solo - most of the time I use 3.5mm to 1/4" patch cables to patch its stereo output straight to a mixer to save signal path for all the other modules that don't have built in envelopes, and the built-in reverb makes it pretty good as a finished sound product. As time goes on I'm doing way more mixing off of the sequencer rather than on with those patch cables and a traditional mixer.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Thanks for the tip mr. sharps! sounds like i'm all set. (apart from the money... but i'll have that in august)

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

lmaoooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju2KGJFst08

Fire Emblem, a 2003 Gameboy Advance Game from Nintendo and Intelligent Systems, features a collection of heavily armored warriors engaging in combat to save their fantastical world from the forces of evil. Cut scenes between combat events are utilized to progress the story. Up to four characters are presented on screen from the chest up, in traditional role-playing game style as text bubbles appear above the one currently speaking. During these scenes, characters will blink intermittently. These blinking events are the driving force behind the Eyes modules.

A hour long portion of the game was recorded using screen capture software. Processing was then used to count the milliseconds between each character's blinks to produce a data table. This data table was then uploaded as firmware to the Eyes module's microcontroller. The blinking LEDs are are perfect copies of the original blinks of the game's characters."

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
And I thought I was weird for wanting to get some D&D dice for music production.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
Any idea how to screen print (in a durable way) those eurorack panels? I'm loving the look of that 'Friendshapper' module!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Has anyone tried the Akai MPX16? My friend had the 8 and said it blew becasue of the short sample time and time it took to load, but I cant find muchinfo if the 16 has been upgraded in that regard.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

massive spider posted:

Has anyone tried the Akai MPX16? My friend had the 8 and said it blew becasue of the short sample time and time it took to load, but I cant find muchinfo if the 16 has been upgraded in that regard.
Just saw this guy offering to answer questions on it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2791601&pagenumber=227&perpage=40#post446219668

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
I'll just leave this here and let you guys caption it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The Cleaner posted:

Route LFO to steering

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

The Cleaner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1dfsoGP8-I

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

The Cleaner posted:

"I think you misunderstood what I meant when I said you had to drive the filter"

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Cleaner posted:

"I can't wait to test out my new MATHS!"

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

The Cleaner posted:

the mechanic said i needed a new air filter, but i already had this like new one in the mail from a trade on muffs!

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Those down with the 219, now you can janitor your modular :pcgaming:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Startyde posted:

Those down with the 219, now you can janitor your modular :pcgaming:

not interested unless there's a "NICE!" command

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Wow that's right up my alley. I had dreamed about something like that, but thought nobody but me would use it. loving awesome that someone did it.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Mr. Glass posted:

not interested unless there's a greenpos theme

same

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

I have a Volca Sample, a Volca Bass and some terrible Roland drum machine. I'd like to control them over MIDI and mix them together, but the Volcas only have headphone outputs and the drum machine is the only one with a THRU/OUT port.

My plan is to get a MIDI splitter box, and join together the headphone outputs with a DIY passive mixer. Is this sensible, or are there any drawbacks I'm not aware of?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i put together a synthrotek vca kit tonight. it was a lot of fun, highly recommended :science:

now i just need to wait until september to fill out my remaining rack space. have a Clouds and an Elements preordered, apparently the next production run isn't until then.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I still have a microkorg that I rarely use. I'm really tempted to sell it for a poly 800 II and some cash. Worth it?

Are there any sounds you can make with the poly that aren't 80s cheese? I love 80s cheese but I want to know if it's more versatile.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Vlad the Retailer posted:

I have a Volca Sample, a Volca Bass and some terrible Roland drum machine. I'd like to control them over MIDI and mix them together, but the Volcas only have headphone outputs and the drum machine is the only one with a THRU/OUT port.

My plan is to get a MIDI splitter box, and join together the headphone outputs with a DIY passive mixer. Is this sensible, or are there any drawbacks I'm not aware of?

Volca's only get clock info and note on/off info via midi so any of the really fun stuff you can do with them still has to be done by hand.

Also, if you only need one of them to receive clock (like the sample) you can send midi in to the one unit and then attach a sync cable between them without needing the midi splitter box.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Is there a guitar pedal or something that just outputs an ASDR envelope in response to a trigger? I'd like one to tie into my Moogerfooger I think the Dreadbox Epsilon would be what I'm looking for but none of the US distributors have it in stock so at this rate the only solution I see is a second Microbrute...

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

A Winner is Jew posted:

Volca's only get clock info and note on/off info via midi so any of the really fun stuff you can do with them still has to be done by hand.

Also, if you only need one of them to receive clock (like the sample) you can send midi in to the one unit and then attach a sync cable between them without needing the midi splitter box.

The sync cable sadly doesn't really work in my case, as I'd like to pass notes to the Bass as well. Additionally, both of them do have parameters that can be tweaked over MIDI.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Tayter Swift posted:

Is there a guitar pedal or something that just outputs an ASDR envelope in response to a trigger? I'd like one to tie into my Moogerfooger I think the Dreadbox Epsilon would be what I'm looking for but none of the US distributors have it in stock so at this rate the only solution I see is a second Microbrute...

EHX 8 step maybe?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

A Winner is Jew posted:

EHX 8 step maybe?

Oddly enough I bought one last week. Suppose I could got it a shot tomorrow...

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

A Winner is Jew posted:

Volca bass gets ccs for everything except cutoff and resonance.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

I still have a microkorg that I rarely use. I'm really tempted to sell it for a poly 800 II and some cash. Worth it?
Are there any sounds you can make with the poly that aren't 80s cheese? I love 80s cheese but I want to know if it's more versatile.

It's all the worst things about 80s synths put together in one box AND sounds like poo poo. With the atomahawk upgrade it's MIDI automated poo poo. Its DCOs are square wave generators mixed together, one filter for all voices. I mean yeah chord memory.
It's not the poor man's ESQ1. Unless you're getting it cheap and love PSG-sounding things I wouldn't bother. The microkorg is Cool And Good in comparison.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Startyde posted:

Its DCOs are square wave generators mixed together, one filter for all voices.

That's the architecture for the Casio HT-700 and that thing is radical.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Sizone posted:

That's the architecture for the Casio HT-700 and that thing is radical.

Casio had strong game

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

A Winner is Jew posted:

EHX 8 step maybe?

Ah poo poo just realized, this does a one-shot so you can do an attack/decay/sustain contour but it would have an instant release. Argh.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Sizone posted:

Volca bass gets ccs for everything except cutoff and resonance.

Oh wow, yeah I just looked up the bass midi implementation and it's a lot more usable than the one for the sample.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Yeah except cutoff and reso are like the most important things to automate

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
Speaking of Volcas, I'm currently trying to control my Volca Bass via an external keyboard using the Roland UM-One (USB keyboard-->PC-->UM-One-->MIDI in on Bass). When I try plugging the MIDI in cable into my Bass (MIDI channel is set to 1), nothing seems to happen when I play notes on the keyboard. However, when I attach the same cable to my Microbrute's MIDI in (also set to channel 1), I can play notes on the brute without issue. I've also got an old Yamaha TG100 (from the 90s) which plays fine via the same cable, so I don't think thats the issue.

Any ideas what might be wrong here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Supersonic posted:

Speaking of Volcas, I'm currently trying to control my Volca Bass via an external keyboard using the Roland UM-One (USB keyboard-->PC-->UM-One-->MIDI in on Bass). When I try plugging the MIDI in cable into my Bass (MIDI channel is set to 1), nothing seems to happen when I play notes on the keyboard. However, when I attach the same cable to my Microbrute's MIDI in (also set to channel 1), I can play notes on the brute without issue. I've also got an old Yamaha TG100 (from the 90s) which plays fine via the same cable, so I don't think thats the issue.

Any ideas what might be wrong here?

Off the top of my head, 1: check volume/cutoff that is, make sure the bass is actually producing sound. 2: They may have done their midi channel numbering as 0-15, so channel 1 is channel 2 to every thing else.