Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

its freaking shiori experience

i like that jimi watches variety tv with her parents while shes practicing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Was Nen in Hunter X Hunter thought up after the series began? It's weird that it took nearly 30 episodes to introduce it in the anime, and now the show feels a little different to how it started.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
i kinda think that if you're serializing a fighting manga, and you had a "gimmick" you thought was really cool, you'd want to keep it hidden until you knew for sure you weren't going to get cancelled any time soon, because otherwise you might have just blown one of your best ideas.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

That seems fair. And I guess some instances where Gon apparently was using it without knowing could have been legit foreshadowing.

Oh gee, I wonder if Hisoka is really gonna make it out of thi-

"Hunter x Hunter Episode 32 – A X Surprising X Win"

Oh, uh, alright then.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

littleorv posted:

Ha more like the dorkast am I right?

*high fives self

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yes. All the memes.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Please do not take a genuine rare Pepe lightly.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I tried listening to one of the Zorcasts and the volume is so drat low that I have to turn up my computer volume way the hell up, then my ears get blasted when my computer does any other sort of sound. Sure there's mixer settings that can help with that, but that's way too much effort to listen to the former anime mod ramble about Steven Universe.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Is Fate/Zero good? It's on Netflix now and I remember you guys were talking about it the other day.

heh it's ranked 81 on MAL.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Fate/Zero is good but the first episode can be a bitter pill to swallow.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's one of those things with a big fanbase as well as a lot of detractors, so I think it's definitely one of those things to check out and decide for yourself.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Level Slide posted:

I tried listening to one of the Zorcasts and the volume is so drat low that I have to turn up my computer volume way the hell up, then my ears get blasted when my computer does any other sort of sound. Sure there's mixer settings that can help with that, but that's way too much effort to listen to the former anime mod ramble about Steven Universe.

I have listened to a lot of bad podcasts but bad audio quality is the thing that turns me away every time! Especially when I'm trying to listen while driving.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Fate/Zero is merely okay but there are worse things to watch.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, I was kinda getting into Hunter X Hunter last night so Fate Zero is gonna have to wait. I'll give it a shot later though.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Watching multiple animes at the same time is hard.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Hunter x Hunter is better than Fate/Zero so you made the right decision.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I was going to watch anime but I impulse bought invisible inc. so I'm going to play that instead.

Also I'm going to add Hunter X Hunter to my backlog.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Still trying to burn through my backlog in preparation for the summer season.

Today is Durarara. Tomorrow is Fujiko Mine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

f/z is good but it has a slow opening and the main character is a black hole of interest. the side characters are all really fun though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0UQ-xe05vU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

littleorv posted:

Watching multiple animes at the same time is hard.

I made that choice a few years ago and only recently have I finally started finishing Zeta Gundam. Admittedly I'm very easily distracted by games/k-drama/tokusatsu/other anime/gintama.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gilles and ryuunosuke ftw

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The only good part of HxH is greed island.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Watched 4 episodes of Chihaya and had to stop myself lest I burn through the remaining episodes too quickly. All of the second season team matches have been sick.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

f/z is good but it has a slow opening and the main character is a black hole of interest. the side characters are all really fun though

I remember I really liked it when I first finished it but the more I read the UBW thread the more my opinion has soured on it. That's a dumb reason I admit. If I rewatched it I would probably have a more favourable opinion again but :effort:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

f/z is good because it's got Waver and Rider. they're also basically all i remember except for a few fights.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Nah fate/zero is still good, because Waver and Rider are still great. The Ubw thread is currently blinded by its ideals that may or may not self-destruct.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Still trying to burn through my backlog in preparation for the summer season.

Today is Durarara. Tomorrow is Fujiko Mine.

I'm watching Durarara now as well but only like 1 episode every few days so it's taking me a while. Some shows I want to burn through as quick as I can or at least watch several episodes at once but after I watch one I'm like "ok that's enough" and it takes a while to get into the mood to watch another. Even though I like pretty much all of the characters and enjoy it while I'm watching I'm having a hard time staying interested enough to keep going.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

hurry up and make a tsukihime anime so people can argue if kara no kyoukai or tsukihime is better like they're doing right now with ubw/fz

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Budget Prefuse posted:

hurry up and make a tsukihime anime so people can argue if kara no kyoukai or tsukihime is better like they're doing right now with ubw/fz

the "there's no tsukihime anime" meme

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Budget Prefuse posted:

sadly i dont think knk captured the 'anime news network writer' zeitgeist the way f/z did

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

What anime is tuh tuh tuuba girl from?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

sound euphonium

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

What anime is tuh tuh tuuba girl from?
kyoani's current show, euphonium

it's p. good

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I never got far in tsukihime for whatever reason. I get past Shiki and Arcuied fighting that dude with the long name and then I always stop for whatever reason. The music also makes me sleepy.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I like that Fate/Zero was less wordy than Unlimited Blade Works, or rather I think F/Z handles its words better. Unless it only happens in the first half, there's a whole lot of bits in UBW where the characters just exposit at each other in the middle of battle and I get massive anime blueballs when all this crap about ideals pops up in the middle of a magic battle.

At least Zero knew extended conversations about ideals should only happen over booze between kings.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That's kind of intentional I think (about Tsukihime's music putting you to sleep.)

Tsukihime is a way slower, more thoughtful story than F/SN. I don't necessarily mean it's 'smarter' but rather that it's got way less going on. The central conceit isn't really anything dramatic, it's mostly just Shiki dealing with the fact that he's completely removed from humanity. There's only three major fight scenes in the whole story, even when you put all the routes together. Shiki and Arcueid vs Nrvnqsr, Shiki vs Roa, and Shiki vs Akiha. I guess Akiha vs SHIKI is a thing that happens too but you never really see it.

Also, Shiki spends 90% of Hisui's route laying in bed in agonizing pain, pondering the meaning of his existence.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm watching Durarara now as well but only like 1 episode every few days so it's taking me a while. Some shows I want to burn through as quick as I can or at least watch several episodes at once but after I watch one I'm like "ok that's enough" and it takes a while to get into the mood to watch another. Even though I like pretty much all of the characters and enjoy it while I'm watching I'm having a hard time staying interested enough to keep going.
That's not too surprising. It's a recurring weakness in Narita's work.

Dude writes some great characters, but his plots are often just "Get everybody and the stuff together," and everything goes wrong. The end result is a lot of solid character chemistry but not much in the way of a compelling narrative.

Baccano's a bit better about this, but not always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

That's kind of intentional I think (about Tsukihime's music putting you to sleep.)

Tsukihime is a way slower, more thoughtful story than F/SN. I don't necessarily mean it's 'smarter' but rather that it's got way less going on. The central conceit isn't really anything dramatic, it's mostly just Shiki dealing with the fact that he's completely removed from humanity. There's only three major fight scenes in the whole story, even when you put all the routes together. Shiki and Arcueid vs Nrvnqsr, Shiki vs Roa, and Shiki vs Akiha. I guess Akiha vs SHIKI is a thing that happens too but you never really see it.

Also, Shiki spends 90% of Hisui's route laying in bed in agonizing pain, pondering the meaning of his existence.
Though on the other hand Tsukihime is waaay shorter than F/SN so maybe 'slower' isn't the right word.

• Locked thread