Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Its called context. This game is an open world RPG. So I'm comparing it to other games in the genre. Its useless to say the combat is worse than games that revolve around combat like Bloodborne just as its useless to say that Bloodborne has a worse story than Fallout New Vegas. My point is that within its genre the combat is quite good and enjoyable. It is not perfect or without flaws but it is consistently enjoyable and challenging for the majority of the game. Also the single thing you spend the most time on in this game is conversations and those are the best I've ever seen.

Actually I think it's quite useful to compare it - it's not like such a system would have been impossible to implement - in fact I doubt it would have taken any longer than what we have now. Only comparing within a genre is pointless - it's not like the combat sections of either game are very far from hit button->swing sword, why does one of them feel much better? Combat feeling good should be a goal in any game that seeks to have combat in it - I don't think that's a lot to ask. It's tolerable but not great in this game, and it's a shame, because they clearly poured a ton of hours into building the game and could easily have spent more of them on making combat feel right. I would gladly have 30% fewer ?s if it meant a good menu and improved combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Booya posted:

So it's actually good because it's illegal to compare it to anything but garbage, or even just not compare it to anything and say that combat that controls poorly and has a lot of copy paste enemies is boring. If they want to make a game about conversations and story, it's possible to make that without making you slog through a bunch of lovely combat.

Bloodborne sucks.

Booya
Feb 17, 2012

Verranicus posted:

Bloodborne sucks.

I guess I wouldn't know, since I've never played it and I don't own the console it's on, and I also never brought it up my friend.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Actually I think it's quite useful to compare it - it's not like such a system would have been impossible to implement - in fact I doubt it would have taken any longer than what we have now. Only comparing within a genre is pointless - it's not like the combat sections of either game are very far from hit button->swing sword, why does one of them feel much better? Combat feeling good should be a goal in any game that seeks to have combat in it - I don't think that's a lot to ask. It's tolerable but not great in this game, and it's a shame, because they clearly poured a ton of hours into building the game and could easily have spent more of them on making combat feel right. I would gladly have 30% fewer ?s if it meant a good menu and improved combat.

I disagree. I'd much rather have all the content and a less polished combat system. I suppose its a difference in what one wants from a game. I usually only play games for their stories at this point so anything that's story heavy is going to be significantly more appealing and will hold my attention longer than a combat centric game.

All that said I seriously had very few issues with the combat even in a vacuum. Other than a few areas with fights in tight quarters I never got stuck on anything or had the system not react the way I wanted. The inventory system on the other hand is complete trash and the underwater controls blow. Neither lessens my enjoyment much but I would say those and the horse riding issues are bigger concerns than the combat.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 3, 2015

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
So I just did Kings Gambit and a quest that I completed (The Cave of Dreams) was moved to the Failed section. I have no idea how or why. I know that Blueboy Lugos died, but I already beat the quest. Why is it Failed now?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

CVagts posted:

So I just did Kings Gambit and a quest that I completed (The Cave of Dreams) was moved to the Failed section. I have no idea how or why. I know that Blueboy Lugos died, but I already beat the quest. Why is it Failed now?

This happened for me too, just a bug I guess, enjoy having your OCD rankled

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

This happened for me too, just a bug I guess, enjoy having your OCD rankled

Nah, I already had a couple quests failed because I did dumb things. Just an odd occurrence.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

CVagts posted:

Nah, I already had a couple quests failed because I did dumb things. Just an odd occurrence.

I assumed it was because I found blueboy on my own instead of getting the quest from the madman, but I have no idea.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

I've somehow managed to get a 4th Poor loving Infantry card. Not particularly useful, but every list I've seen says there should only be 3 of them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nion posted:

I've somehow managed to get a 4th Poor loving Infantry card. Not particularly useful, but every list I've seen says there should only be 3 of them.

I audited my cards (:negative:...kill me) and found I was missing some random duplicates and had some extras. (IE I only had two of one of the weather cards when you're supposed to have 3, I guess?) Wish I could get an extra catapult.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nion posted:

I have five :xd:

I audited my cards (:negative:...kill me) and found I was missing some random duplicates and had some extras. (IE I only had two of one of the weather cards when you're supposed to have 3, I guess?) Wish I could get an extra catapult.
I wish I could get another Dun Banner Medic.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Anyone having a sudden surge of crashes? Played for a few weeks without issues and suddenly starting today I keep having nvlddmkm crashes all over the place. :(

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Foxhound posted:

Anyone having a sudden surge of crashes? Played for a few weeks without issues and suddenly starting today I keep having nvlddmkm crashes all over the place. :(

Your game was relying on the new patch coming out today, but since it's not it's run out of energy to work correctly.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Drifter posted:

No man, for me and my i2500k/gtx760 if I run borderless with my settings (high settings) I get 28-32 fps, with fullscreen mode and the same settings I run about 48-52 fps. Same locations, same everything else.

Interesting because I have a 760 ti and it works better for me in borderless. Not sure what texture settings I have it on but I'll mess around with that stuff come the update.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
I can't run borderless because if it minimizes due to a window popping up in the background or the screensaver coming on I can't tab back into the game :cry:. It does fine in full screen or bordered, but every once in a while if I alt-tab or do something exactly the wrong way it switches back to borderless and I don't realize until the next time I end up unable to alt-tab back into the game.

Game's still awesome though and I've had it up for days without crashing just sitting in the taskbar when I'm not playing. It's nice that the screensaver kicks on so I don't have to kill the game and reload between play sessions, and it's amazing how stable it is considering the sheer scope of it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Love the game, and the series. I do consider it bad that in the "simulate a witches 2 save" questioning, I remembered absolutely none of my decisions.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Just knocked out a white wolf with a flying knee in a 1-on-1 bareknuckle fight wearing an elegant Skellige shirt and matching trousers. Wish certain monsters didn't stun you whenever you punched them, it would have been fun to try an unarmed run on one of the easier difficulties. :arghfist::black101:

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
So I'm doing the fisticuffs quest in Novigrad at level 23, and Georgius Georg is still like three-shotting me. I don't think that's supposed to happen.

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!
Is the intro at Kaer Morhen an okay place to benchmark, or do you get to do it all over again once you hit the cities?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

CVagts posted:

So I'm doing the fisticuffs quest in Novigrad at level 23, and Georgius Georg is still like three-shotting me. I don't think that's supposed to happen.

He's harder than the other ones in that set for whatever reason.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

He's harder than the other ones in that set for whatever reason.

It's weird because the combat log says he does like 700 damage or so, and I have about 5k vitality, and I'm dead in 3-4 punches.

Reeoorb
Jun 25, 2006
is...is...is got communisms in it...
500 some odd pages deep, most of these complaints are baseless, in the least. Or maybe it's just better on the PS4.

Combat/Lockon: You're doing it wrong. If you want to play with a different system, then you play that game, not this one. Stop attempting to play this game like it's other games, play this one and it's fine, even fun.
Swimming/Horses: Maybe. But you're still doing it wrong. There is that bit underwater when it's like, 'Why?'. Horsey's are weird, but RDR fixed this by being able to switch controls between camera/horse relative. Other than the fact that they are apparently the shyest loving animals ever. Still, I had literally zero problems beating every race in the game on the first try.

We could do with, extra storage. 160 is what I'm at now, but with three sets of upgraded armor and swords to match, that is literally almost nothing. 40k crowns and I can't rent a room?!
Better Inventory management... just because it's slightly a pain to load through five tabs to switch get back to a the shop's inventory. Especially when you have a lot of poo poo.

[edt] yes, improvements, quick slotted inventory would be great.

Reeoorb fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 3, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

CVagts posted:

I beat that dude when I accidentally ran into the fighting ring at like level 15 or so.
Just parry.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Reeoorb posted:

500 some odd pages deep, most of these complaints are baseless, in the least. Or maybe it's just better on the PS4.

Combat/Lockon: You're doing it wrong. If you want to play with a different system, then you play that game, not this one. Stop attempting to play this game like it's other games, play this one and it's fine, even fun.
Swimming/Horses: Maybe. But you're still doing it wrong. There is that bit underwater when it's like, 'Why?'. Horsey's are weird, but RDR fixed this by being able to switch controls between camera/horse relative. Other than the fact that they are apparently the shyest loving animals ever. Still, I had literally zero problems beating every race in the game on the first try.

We could do with, extra storage. 160 is what I'm at now, but with three sets of upgraded armor and swords to match, that is literally almost nothing. 40k crowns and I can't rent a room?!
Better Inventory management... just because it's slightly a pain to load through five tabs to switch get back to a the shop's inventory. Especially when you have a lot of poo poo.

I think you are wrong - you'd get a wholly better game if you transplanted the other system onto this game. It'd be a strict improvement, that's my complaint. I play the game how it is presented and the combat is okay, tolerable but not great, but if it played like the other game, it would be great. That's to say nothing about combat once you are level ~15, since it gets super-easy at that point even on hard.

The main problems with the controls is you have weight, you don't just instantly turn and move in the direction you push the stick. This is supposed to be like, simulationist, I guess, in a world where medieval warrior dudes genetically engineer orphans, but it feels bad and I wish it weren't there.

It's okay for aspects of a game I like to be bad, I love the game, but those things are still not good, and it'd be super-cool if they were improved.

Reeoorb
Jun 25, 2006
is...is...is got communisms in it...

I think you are wrong - you'd get a wholly better game if you transplanted the other system onto this game. It'd be a strict improvement, that's my complaint. I play the game how it is presented and the combat is okay, tolerable but not great, but if it played like the other game, it would be great. That's to say nothing about combat once you are level ~15, since it gets super-easy at that point even on hard.

The main problems with the controls is you have weight, you don't just instantly turn and move in the direction you push the stick. This is supposed to be like, simulationist, I guess, in a world where medieval warrior dudes genetically engineer orphans, but it feels bad and I wish it weren't there.

It's okay for aspects of a game I like to be bad, I love the game, but those things are still not good, and it'd be super-cool if they were improved.

I just don't think it's bad as people make out, it's just that they play it expecting another game, and it's not. Not to say it couldn't be better. Everything can always be better. I don't have any problem with it personally, or any problem making it fun and great looking. But I assume it's different maybe if people are using a mouse and keyboard, or expecting things that aren't.

Speaking of weight, the other day I was sprinting up a mountain, in the cat suit... I could swear it was faster than ursine. Maybe it's just the animation that is faster. Either way, surprising and great.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

CVagts posted:

It's weird because the combat log says he does like 700 damage or so, and I have about 5k vitality, and I'm dead in 3-4 punches.

I think fisticuffs gives you different health or something because there's a dude in Skellige during the feast that just loving destroyed me in spite of me having a ton of vitality and being fairly over leveled and only taking 3-4 hits. That guy has a crazy fast jab too.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Foxhound posted:

Did you update your nvidia drivers very recently?
The latest game ready driver for Heroes of the Storm brought back driver related crashes for some people. Just roll back to 352.86 and you should be fine.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

mcbexx posted:

Did you update your nvidia drivers very recently?
The latest game ready driver for Heroes of the Storm brought back driver related crashes for some people. Just roll back to 352.86 and you should be fine.

Nah I'm running 352.86. Apparently there was some update to Galaxy that hosed some stuff up. Will go Galaxy-less if they havent announced a fix by tomorrow I think.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Regarding the lost exp from quests: I've been paying attention today and you do get exp for some story quests. I hadn't been until I hit "The Play is the Thing" and I started getting exp for progressing it (300 off the bat for taking the script from Priscilla). Additionally, some sidequests still don't reward exp. Rediania's Most Wanted, for example didn't give me anything.

Just based on what I've seen today, it's kind of feast or famine but I'm level 17 and still in Novigrad so it can't be all bad. I hope it gets fixed, don't get me wrong but it's definitely still workable.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Anyone that compares this games combat to a FROM game is a big idiot. Anyone that thinks it should be more like said games is an even bigger idiot.

FROM games have a slow/medium paced, methodical combat that serves the setting. You're a tiny dude fighting giant things, you can't win without trickery and patience.

Geralt is a superhuman monster killing machine. The gameplay is fast paced and hectic which reflects that status. Fighting humans is lovely because witchers don't train to fight people.

Basically; Souls is defensive, Witcher is offensive. And thats mostly due to the setting. If witcher had FROM combat it would be boringly slow. If it had Arkham/Mordor combat, it'd be another boring press parry to win game.

Now if you guys said Witcher 3 should've stolen ideas from Dragon's Dogma, I'd agree. Pulling a harpy to the ground or jumping on a fiend and stabbing it's back would rule.

And seriously anyone who thinks you need to dodge roll from anything besides golems/gargoyles is not playing aggressive enough. A wraith that teleports to you is saving you the hassle of chasing them down.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Meh, this thing with Triss leaving and the crystal I could have asked her about is driving me insane. Yeah it's probably a trivial thing in the end, but still. Questions:

- There are some figurines and a crystal that you can ask Triss about (as long as you haven't started A Matter of Life and Death yet). Are these the only things you need her advice on or are there other things as well?
- Can you bring these figurines and the crystal to the other sorceress, Yennefer, instead? If you can, when? Is there a million hours of Skellige introduction etc to complete first? Or do you have to wait until Act 2 (whenever that is)?
- In the quest with the crystal, if you decide to go to Radovid, but tell him you found nothing, thus keeping the crystal and completing the quest, can you still after that take the crystal to Triss, or do you have to take it to her before you complete the quest?
- Same question but Yennefer instead of Triss?

Most likely I'll just reload and make sure I never start A Matter of Life and Death since arrgh.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I don't understand all the love for the Cat armour, it's just a vest over a blue turtleneck. The Griffin armour actually looks like something that might protect you in a fight, and it makes your signs really powerful. The only real problem is it gets outclassed by other stuff a bit faster.

Also I just respecced from a combat/signs mix to pure combat focusing on fast attack and defensive, and it's not as much fun. You just turn into a slaughter whirlwind where you're either slicing through enemies like they don't exist or being utterly pulverised if they outlevel you. I'm glad the respec potions exist - in a game this long I wouldn't want to have to start an entirely new run just to try something different out.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

jaete posted:

Meh, this thing with Triss leaving and the crystal I could have asked her about is driving me insane. Yeah it's probably a trivial thing in the end, but still. Questions:

- There are some figurines and a crystal that you can ask Triss about (as long as you haven't started A Matter of Life and Death yet). Are these the only things you need her advice on or are there other things as well?
- Can you bring these figurines and the crystal to the other sorceress, Yennefer, instead? If you can, when? Is there a million hours of Skellige introduction etc to complete first? Or do you have to wait until Act 2 (whenever that is)?
- In the quest with the crystal, if you decide to go to Radovid, but tell him you found nothing, thus keeping the crystal and completing the quest, can you still after that take the crystal to Triss, or do you have to take it to her before you complete the quest?
- Same question but Yennefer instead of Triss?

Most likely I'll just reload and make sure I never start A Matter of Life and Death since arrgh.

I've personally answered this 3 times in the last few pages but you can do it all really late game. Its not a big deal. The statue quests are just a few lines of dialogue and the crystal will be available to turn in late game.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 3, 2015

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Was a PC patch released today?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Well shoot. I've been running my GOG version through Steam (for the overlay) and now it doesn't work. Just crashes each time. Runs fine from the exe or from Galaxy but if I try to run it from Steam it just crashes every time. Bummer, I was using it to manage my screenshots.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Airfoil posted:

No. The patch probably won't be released for another week.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Airfoil posted:

Nope, it's been delayed, and as tomorrow is a national holiday in Poland - and any sane person would book Friday off too - it may not be here til next week. A representative on the CDPR forums has said they're working hard and will work through the weekend if need be, but people are still going fuckin *mental*. It's pretty funny, in a sad way.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Drifter posted:

No. The patch probably won't be released for another week.

gently caress it, I'm jumping back in. If I lose some XP, oh well.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

ZombieLenin posted:

Love the game, and the series. I do consider it bad that in the "simulate a witches 2 save" questioning, I remembered absolutely none of my decisions.

thats because unlike bioware, they made their previous game pretty much worthless plot wise to its sequel

and they were wise to do so because witcher 2 involved 100% too much politicking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I've personally answered this 3 times in the last few pages but you can do it all really late game. Its not a big deal. The statue quests are just a few lines of dialogue and the crystal will be available to turn in late game.

Someone was saying he wasn't able to do that stuff in the late game. Besides I want to do it now, not in another 110 hours :saddowns:

But you're saying there's nothing else besides the figurines and the crystal?