Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tide posted:

Just because I'm simply saying "It is what it is" doesn't portray acceptance. I just know I can't do anything about it. Maybe it does, but there is literally nothing I can do.
It's like the fuss that got kicked up over here about companies like Amazon not paying tax. Look, the law says you do this, this and this, and you aren't liable for tax. So they did. If you don't like it, you need to be complaining that the law needs to be changed to prevent it, not acting as if they morally "should" pay it, especially if you were up until this point perfectly happy to get a delivered-to-your-door, cheaper-than-the-highstreet supply of whatever. Sure, enough bitching may cause them to reevaluate and decide that the extra costs are justified in order to not be evil in the eyes of the hoi polloi, but I don't think it's very likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

88h88 posted:

Pizza stuff

Cheers dude, didn't realise you need a special flour to make pizza bases.
Screengrabbed your instructions for future eating

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

BraveUlysses posted:

that lovely valdez leak under every p'hut pizza is loving delicious.

Fixed that for you.

Geoj posted:

Said no one, anywhere, ever.

Exactly. And even if there were poor people who wanted to live off the system, taxing one rich guy like they did 60 years ago would pay for pretty much all of them to do so without affecting their country club status even a tiny bit.

InitialDave posted:

It's like the fuss that got kicked up over here about companies like Amazon not paying tax. Look, the law says you do this, this and this, and you aren't liable for tax. So they did. If you don't like it, you need to be complaining that the law needs to be changed to prevent it, not acting as if they morally "should" pay it, especially if you were up until this point perfectly happy to get a delivered-to-your-door, cheaper-than-the-highstreet supply of whatever. Sure, enough bitching may cause them to reevaluate and decide that the extra costs are justified in order to not be evil in the eyes of the hoi polloi, but I don't think it's very likely.

It's still horribly immoral because it's the big corporations who bribed our representatives to amend the tax code in their favor in the first place. And we do complain about it daily. It's just a big boat to turn around, gonna take a while. So we also impotently complain on forums like this.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 3, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

1500quidporsche posted:

I swear to god the assistant in this office has no idea what personal space is. She literally just walked up until her legs were an inch from my chair and just stood there not saying anything.

How the gently caress do I stop this?

I think i generally give off a pissed off aggressive vibe because i don't really get poo poo like this. In the rare event i go i usually look them up and down and say something like "You alright there?" or "What, you want to sit on my loving lap or something?"* and they get the message.

*May backfire is spectacular fashion.

There's an awesome Turkish restaurant up the road from my old shop, and there's some beast waitress in there who always looks at me like she'd loving eat me. We went there once and she got so close and stuck her tits in my face as she put my food down she now has the name (Personal) Space Invader.

She's a loving dog and makes my skin crawl. :barf:

1500quidporsche posted:

God no.

Homely as gently caress.

Could be worse.

Turn her over, put her over the desk and give her a good seeing to!

CommieGIR posted:

:qq: Waaaaaa, I actually have to give a poo poo about the welfare of my employees. I'm going to go cry in my millions :qq:

Cakefool posted:

Doesn't sound like you're having much fun otherwise at work, put it down as exercise in your fitness diary

Brilliant.

CornHolio posted:

Man, my dad's 61 and just retired in April, and he is doing pretty much nothing. He went out golfing right after he retired and hurt his back, and now he can't golf or ride his Harley and he won't get it checked out by a doctor.

I've heard that after retirement, people really need to stay active or their health starts to decline rapidly... I don't know how to convince him to do things. I almost wonder if he's sunk into a deep depression or something. His job was his life. My 4-year-old is over there right now and grandpa hasn't hardly acknowledged him. I'm really starting to get worried.

Retirement often leaves them with nothing. :( All they've ever done is work and suddenly they're left with nothing to do. People often fall into depression very quickly after they retire if they don't find something to do, like decorating the house or go travelling. Sound like he needs something to do, some kind of routine and something to keep him busy.

My dad is 78 and still working. It's all he's done since he was 21, he doesn't know any different and i don't think he'll ever actually retire.

Geoj posted:

Said by plenty of people here. Families of 3 generations that have never worked, just scrounge. Or people who come from the Eastern block, turn up and claim welfare/benefits and don't work. Why work when everyone else can pay for you to do gently caress-all?

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 3, 2015

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I finally drove our "new" 2014 Dodge van (er, RAM cargo van :clint:) and holy poo poo the Pentastar 3.6 impressed me above 4K. Probably mostly because I was in an empty minivan with only front seats. Surprisingly little torque steer for ~300hp through the front wheels.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tomarse posted:

Cheers mate! I'm gonna give this a try next week. I haven't got a pizza stone so its going on a baking tray. Is it going to try and stick to the tray?

Can you make pizza dough with beer? I've made oatcakes (I live in Stoke!) and ones made with beer batter are proper nice.

In my rush to type that all out while I should've been working I failed to mention that bit! If you're using a backing tray slam it in the oven while it's heating up then when you've got your dough ready, chuck some flour on the tray, lay the dough on and create the pizza. Flour will stop it sticking so it'll slide off the tray easily. Some places use corn flour but I can never remember to buy any.

As for beer dough, leave this stuff in the fridge for a week and see what happens. It ferments pretty well! Definite beery scent to it after that long. I'm not actually sure what the addition of actual beer would do, give it a shot on a smaller amount of the mixture, it's not like it's going to ruin anything expensive.

freelop posted:

Cheers dude, didn't realise you need a special flour to make pizza bases.
Screengrabbed your instructions for future eating

And you don't need any special dough as such, for Italian authenticity I'll knock up a bowl using 00 flour but it's the same process. Regular flour just make sure to get strong white, I usually get Allinsons, this stuff:

You should be able to find this or an equivalent in any supermarket.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

ARE YOU HIGH?!

The only good thing is all the crust flavorings and drizzles you can get.

Yes. I like Pizza Hut. Better than Dominoes or Little Caesars.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

LloydDobler posted:

It's still horribly immoral because it's the big corporations who bribed our representatives to amend the tax code in their favor in the first place. And we do complain about it daily. It's just a big boat to turn around, gonna take a while. So we also impotently complain on forums like this.
If I had the influence to have the law changed so that my tax bill dropped to a tenth of what it is, frankly, I probably would push that button. I can't really rationalise bagging on a person or corporation for doing the same.

Mooseykins posted:

Said by plenty of people here. Families of 3 generations that have never worked, just scrounge. Or people who come from the Eastern block, turn up and claim welfare/benefits and don't work. Why work when everyone else can pay for you to do gently caress-all?
My experience is that people coming over here from Poland etc is that they have a pretty good work ethic? Maybe it's a regional thing.

The issue is it's something that is hard to balance. You don't want people not taking benefits they need, and are entitled to, out of a feeling of shame for taking a handout, but you don't want to have people believing that they deserve everything on a plate. You don't want people having more and more kids they can't afford because their benefits will increase, while at the same time you don't want to gently caress people over and have them starving in the street (especially the kids themselves). People tend to be pretty simplistic and go right off the deep end one side or the other when it comes to discussing it, too.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Geoj posted:

I really wish that were true.. Judging from my brother in law and friends, that's essentially the bay area mantra in art communities where life is apparently opposite land of somehow magically living there off of nothing but your art and government programs.. Mostly government programs. Also, every internet slogan we are the anonymous 99%'ers, bullshit bullshit is absolutely true. You see, It's not their fault for not taking initiative in their own life, but everyone else's especially corporations, maaaaan. I can't stand to be in the same room with him for that long. He tells people the VW XL1 was never brought to the states because big oil paid to have it not imported because it would dig into their profits, he's a huge proponent of both Huffington Post and Infowars. Sadly, I wish I were making this poo poo up.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

Companies get the tax system they can beat because they loving pay off the politicians to get it. Yeeeaaaaah I'm suuuuure politicans are going to change the tax system when they are getting sucked off by the expensive whore Google / Amazon / BHP etc paid for while guzzling champange from the whore boot.

Yes they morally should pay up. But they wont because they have thoroughly perverted the system so that we get permanently assfucked without lube.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

88h88 posted:

Pizza Stuff

If you're somewhat lazy and don't have a pizza stone, but you have a good size cast iron pan (you should, they're like $20 at target and the most AI of cooking implements) the best poo poo ever is cast iron pizza.

I basically lived off this poo poo for a year.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

InitialDave posted:

This is what I don't understand about buying from Amazon.

I don't pay sales tax on anything I buy from Amazon which automatically makes it 10 percent cheaper to buy from Amazon than it is to buy locally. And that's before the fact that 99 percent of the time, it's cheaper on Amazon by a margin of 1 to 50 percent. Sometimes more before taking into consideration the lack of sales tax.

Anyway, are you saying that Amazon doesn't pay tax, period, or they just don't pay sales tax to the state in which the product was ordered from? Both? Because if it's simply sales tax, why would they fight that? I am temporarily ignoring that me having to pay a sales tax on goods from Amazon would make it somewhere in the neighborhood as what I would pay locally (depending on what it is, of course)? Because they wouldn't be paying the sales tax, I would.

Or is that basically why they fight against sales tax? To keep costs lower by buying from Amazon.

I desperately want to patronize local businesses, and in particular, mom and pop locally owned businesses but I'll be damned if I'm going to do so and have my costs go up by X percent. That's just not good personal financial sense.

Tide fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 3, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

My experience is that people coming over here from Poland etc is that they have a pretty good work ethic? Maybe it's a regional thing.

The issue is it's something that is hard to balance. You don't want people not taking benefits they need, and are entitled to, out of a feeling of shame for taking a handout, but you don't want to have people believing that they deserve everything on a plate. You don't want people having more and more kids they can't afford because their benefits will increase, while at the same time you don't want to gently caress people over and have them starving in the street (especially the kids themselves). People tend to be pretty simplistic and go right off the deep end one side or the other when it comes to discussing it, too.

From what i've seen, it's more the new wave of Bulgarians and Romanians. While a lot of them come here to work, and work hard, there are many that don't. Being unemployed and broke in Romania is not preferable to being unemployed and claiming bennies here. Under some twisted EU bullshit, if they come here they can automatically claim benefits, yet aren't citizens and have never paid into the system. Not sure which idiot thought that system up.

I think we have a greater problem with English/Welsh people who just live off that poo poo and never work. The entitlement lot who think the world owes them a living and won't get a job because they're totally unskilled and the Eastern Europeans (Who are stealing all our jobs!) can do the poo poo jobs like sweeping streets and picking up rubbish. They don't actually want to work, they can get the same money sitting at home killing cans of Special Brew, so why make any effort?

I'm in favour of government labour/national service in place of the benefits system. Oh, you can't get a job? No problem! Get put into national service, cleaner streets programs, filling pot holes, etc.

I agree with you on the balance. I think the shame associated with it comes from genuine people who need the help, but are ashamed of the connection with those who don't need it.

I'm one of those simplistic people, who goes off the deep end. Actually, i go off on one about everything.

Noise Complaint posted:

If you're somewhat lazy and don't have a pizza stone, but you have a good size cast iron pan (you should, they're like $20 at target and the most AI of cooking implements) the best poo poo ever is cast iron pizza.

:stwoon:

That pizza looks bangin'.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

CommieGIR posted:

And yet Little Caesars is so much better.
$5.38 (after tax) for a shitload of lunch combo.

Is it super awesome best pizza ever? No.
But its $5. So who cares?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Companies get the tax system they can beat because they loving pay off the politicians to get it. Yeeeaaaaah I'm suuuuure politicans are going to change the tax system when they are getting sucked off by the expensive whore Google / Amazon / BHP etc paid for while guzzling champange from the whore boot.

Yes they morally should pay up. But they wont because they have thoroughly perverted the system so that we get permanently assfucked without lube.
And yet people cry "bullshit!" whenever somebody suggest a flat tax without any tax "loopholes" for those people/companies to jump through.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Oh, i forgot. Hawaiian Pizza? :mediocre:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Deeters posted:

Pineapple has no place on a pizza.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

^^^ :hfive:

Deeters posted:

Yeah, I really don't get Hawaiian Pizza. Pineapples do not belong on pizza, that's just wrong :colbert:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tide posted:

Anyway, are you saying that Amazon doesn't pay tax, period, or they just don't pay sales tax to the state in which the product was ordered from?
They avoid paying corporation tax, which is basically the UK tax on businesses, their equivalent of our individual income tax.

While they can find ways to not charge VAT (sales tax), and thus offer VAT-free prices which are lower/more competitive, or raise their ex-VAT prices to closer to everyone else's VAT-inclusive pricing to make more money, they can't charge VAT and not then pay that VAT to the government. That get's you properly reamed.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Deeters posted:

Turn left, thread! Noooooooooooo

pineapple on pizza is loving disgusting

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

The only thing that belongs on pizza is sauce, cheese, and meat.

Also I pity people without 15 awesome pizza joints within a stones throw. That's the only thing Connecticut is good for.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Powershift posted:

I eat. I diet. I eat again!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
June Chat Thread: PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

They can't charge VAT and not then pay that VAT to the government. That get's you properly reamed.

No, but if what you sell isn't VAT-applicable then you can reclaim VAT on anything you buy that has it, but you don't charge VAT on what you sell.

Extra 20% on a good number of things.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ilkhan posted:

And yet people cry "bullshit!" whenever somebody suggest a flat tax without any tax "loopholes" for those people/companies to jump through.

The argument against a flat tax is that it would be more punishing to poor folks because of the cost of basic necessities. My argument against that position is the cost of the basic necessities is tougher on the lower income than the higher income regardless of the tax taken.

Even if you could say "If you make below X dollars a year, you are exempt from paying tax", you would still have opposition from the people that earn a living off the tax code as it is. Imagine how many hundreds of thousands of jobs would become instantly obsolete if the tax code simply said "If income > X, then pay 10 percent" (or whatever arbitrary number).

Tide fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 3, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Noise Complaint posted:

The only thing that belongs on pizza is sauce, cheese, and meat.

I'm converted to putting chillis on Pizza. Jalapeños or whatever.

Also, rocket, asparagus, chillis and chicken on pizza is loving amazing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CommieGIR posted:

Not a high bar.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mooseykins posted:

I'm converted to putting chillis on Pizza. Jalapeños or whatever.

Also, rocket, asparagus, chillis and chicken on pizza is loving amazing.

Banana peppers. Banana peppers on EVERYTHING.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

STR:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
E: ahahahahaha^^^

I ONLY eat Hawaiian pizza :colbert:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Tide posted:

Banana peppers. Banana peppers on EVERYTHING.

Jewish place opposite my old shop. They do these awesome pickles, white cabbage and carrot usually.

Oh, and pickled banana peppers. :smug:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Noise Complaint posted:

Ohhhhhhhhhh this looks like good poo poo. Thank you!

Rhyno posted:

June Chat Thread: PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

keykey posted:

I really wish that were true.. Judging from my brother in law and friends, that's essentially the bay area mantra in art communities where life is apparently opposite land of somehow magically living there off of nothing but your art and government programs.. Mostly government programs.

Ah, the "Rent" philosophy: as long as you're an artist, you're morally in the right to skip out on rent indefinitely.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

ilkhan posted:

And yet Little Caesars is so much better.
$5.38 (after tax) for a shitload of lunch combo.

Is it super awesome best pizza ever? No.
But its $5. So who cares?

I'm pretty sure this has been my thought process every time I get one
"I want a good pizza for dinner. gently caress, I'm skint. I still want pizza. $5 pizza!"

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

And avatar sized:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My Lord...This thread is all over the drat place. Pizza, tax codes, eat the rich, Mad Max, politics.

The ADHD thread of SA.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Everyone has a new avatar and now i'm jealous. :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
gently caress you all, I like Pizza Hut.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

I also like Pizza Hut. Their garlic pizza bread is loving awesome too.

And my local one usually gets confused if you order a half and half pizza, and you end up with two pizzas.

Once ordered 4 pizzas, 3 were half and half. We went to pick them up and my mate came back with 7 pizzas. Somehow they couldn't work it out and just made us 7 (large) pizzas instead of 4. (And we only paid the price of 4.)

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Mooseykins posted:

Everyone has a new avatar and now i'm jealous. :(

Join us. Join usssss!

CommieGIR posted:

You and me both buddy. Pizza Hut is way better than people claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Got fired from my school last week. Interviewed for a new position this morning, got the job this afternoon. Gainful employment :toot:

Then I got to put a battery in an immaculate 92 F150 that a guy bought from an old man that only drove it to church on Sunday. Looked like it just came off the lot.

• Locked thread