Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

No wonder France was backing Blatter.
The vote for the 1998 world cup happened in 1992 (probably when either Cresson or Beregovoy* were prime minister) so i doubt anyone involved is still in the federation but if it's the case i can't wait to see what happens anyway. I so wish the same thing would happen with the CIO and the Olympics, the amount of people it would hit would be incredible.

*and Beregovoy committed suicide in 1993..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I don't know what anybody expected. These are not hardened criminals or even Wall Street types. They are just a bunch of hacks used to living the good life.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Toplowtech posted:

*and Beregovoy committed suicide in 1993..

with two bullets in the head.

edit: it wasn't France that bribed him, but Morocco:

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 3, 2015

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Interesting twist: the 1998 bribes Blazer is talking about came from Morocco, not France. So, either Morocco couldn't find enough corrupt FIFA voters, or France quietly out-bid them.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

with two bullets in the head.
It's a pretty common and lovely conspiracy theory, the autopsy only ever showed one bullet entry (and its exit on the opposite side of the head). And there are faaaaaar more troubling facts about his suicide than that lovely rumor.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Northjayhawk posted:

Interesting twist: the 1998 bribes Blazer is talking about came from Morocco, not France. So, either Morocco couldn't find enough corrupt FIFA voters, or France quietly out-bid them.
Good ol' Chuck then went to his buddy Sepp and told him that there weren't enough corrupt people in FIFA, and Sepp was shocked--shocked--to hear that people weren't selling their votes to the highest bidder. "This must change," thought Sepp.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
These guys are going to fold like a house of cards. A snarling US attorney waves 10 years under the nose of a 60-ish football executive and tells him that either he rolls or he's going to die a penniless ex-con? Those people are going to offer up everyone that they know.

If I were Blatter I might be seriously considering suicide.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

These guys are going to fold like a house of cards. A snarling US attorney waves 10 years under the nose of a 60-ish football executive and tells him that either he rolls or he's going to die a penniless ex-con? Those people are going to offer up everyone that they know.
"If you go to jail and lose all your money, who will take care of your cats, mister Blazer?"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vladimir Putin posted:

I don't know what anybody expected. These are not hardened criminals or even Wall Street types. They are just a bunch of hacks used to living the good life.

That's the best part, and what makes this extra hilarious.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

That's the best part, and what makes this extra hilarious.

Still hard to beat how Warner used a Onion article as evidence for the US conspiracy theory.

Also claimed he had a medical emergency when he got indicted but a day later was dancing wildly at a political rally.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

massively organised sports are always corrupt - there's no reason to doubt that 1998 or 1994 were exempt from corruption

some bribes and stuff must be accepted. the problem comes when kickbacks are the only reason things happen, like 2022

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Vladimir Putin posted:

More than a few people in the TRP thread were making such claims. Along with failing to understand just how powerful RICO is.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

V. Illych L. posted:

massively organised sports are always corrupt - there's no reason to doubt that 1998 or 1994 were exempt from corruption

some bribes and stuff must be accepted. the problem comes when kickbacks are the only reason things happen, like 2022

Countries like Qatar also sent economic aid to the Caribbean bloc to round up some extra votes.

Posture Pal
Nov 22, 2007

Jack Warner has released a video claiming, among other things, that FIFA influenced the 2010 Trinidadian elections. If that's actually the case, this rabbit hole's going to the center of the Earth.

Edit: More from The Guardian

Posture Pal fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 4, 2015

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

If I were Blatter I might be seriously considering suicide.

Sepp announces his life long dream of joining ISIS and blowing up FIFA HQ.

Posture Pal posted:

Jack Warner has released a video claiming, among other things, that FIFA influenced the 2010 Trinidadian elections. If that's actually the case, this rabbit hole's going to the center of the Earth.

Okay now it's getting interesting. It's gonna be hilarious if FIFA somehow was propping up all the corrupt Caribbean countries. That's the USA's job! :nsamad:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Hey now, they also have the Olympics votes to sell, Whaling Commission votes to sell, basically anything they don't give a drat about. And if they ever got super desperate they could always agree to recognize Abkhazia and South Ossetia- thats big bucks.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Posture Pal posted:

Goddamn. I thought the show would be watching how many buckets Blatter could fill with his own fear sweat. But, no, Jack Warner's the man to watch in horrified fascination. First the whole "Oh, I'm feeling sick/severe exhaustion!" card to get out of jail and go party. Then displaying an inability to tell the difference between the norm of what happens in the organization he used to work in/control and an Onion article. And now this? :allears:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

axeil posted:

Okay now it's getting interesting. It's gonna be hilarious if FIFA somehow was propping up all the corrupt Caribbean countries. That's the USA's job! :nsamad:

RICO and treading on the Monroe Doctrine? That's a whoopin'.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
What are the odds Sepp sees the inside of a jail? He's clearly the target here and he went from "I am the once and future king" to "I will be remembered for more reforms up to my imminent resignation" in, like, a weekend so obviously he got scared

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Zeitgueist posted:

What are the odds Sepp sees the inside of a jail? He's clearly the target here and he went from "I am the once and future king" to "I will be remembered for more reforms up to my imminent resignation" in, like, a weekend so obviously he got scared

At this point it's completely dependent on if he can successfully sneak out of Switzerland or eats a bullet.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Alkydere posted:

Goddamn. I thought the show would be watching how many buckets Blatter could fill with his own fear sweat. But, no, Jack Warner's the man to watch in horrified fascination. First the whole "Oh, I'm feeling sick/severe exhaustion!" card to get out of jail and go party. Then displaying an inability to tell the difference between the norm of what happens in the organization he used to work in/control and an Onion article. And now this? :allears:

I am seriously torn as to whether to believe Jack Warner's story. On the one hand, Jack Warner is demonstrably an idiot, which undermines his credibility, and in addition, rigging the Trinidadian election is going rather far out of its way for FIFA for rather limited ends. On the other hand, at this point, there's nothing I'd put past FIFA, so I think it's quite possible this is true.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
On one hand, why would you need to rig the Trinidadian election? On the other hand, you could probably do it with a particularly high quality ham sandwich as the payment, so why not?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

On one hand, why would you need to rig the Trinidadian election? On the other hand, you could probably do it with a particularly high quality ham sandwich as the payment, so why not?

They signed a death warrant for thousands when they gave the 2022 Cup to Qatar, what's a bit of Caribbean election fraud compared to that?

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
I wouldn't particularly put it past them, but how do you even manage to kill 4,000 workers while building facilities? Unless the construction sites literally involve chunks of cement being flung by trebuchets, that is far too high a number for workplace casualties. Even if you don't give a poo poo about safety, you can't kill that many people and build a stadium at the same time.

What are the actual causes of death?

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Could it have simply been a personal thing for Jack Warner since he's from there? I have absolutely no idea why FIFA as an organisation would benefit from it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

tirinal posted:

I wouldn't particularly put it past them, but how do you even manage to kill 4,000 workers while building facilities? Unless the construction sites literally involve chunks of cement being flung by trebuchets, that is far too high a number for workplace casualties. Even if you don't give a poo poo about safety, you can't kill that many people and build a stadium at the same time.

Heat stoke and dehydration probably, with the occasional heavy machinery accident to spice things up

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

tirinal posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/23/qatar-nepal-workers-world-cup-2022-death-toll-doha

quote:

The Nepalese foreign employment promotion board said 157 of its workers in Qatar had died between January and mid-November this year – 67 of sudden cardiac arrest and eight of heart attacks. Thirty-four deaths were recorded as workplace accidents.

Figures sourced separately by the Guardian from Nepalese authorities suggest the total during that period could be as high as 188. In 2013, the figure from January to mid-November was 168.

“We know that people who work long hours in high temperatures are highly vulnerable to fatal heat strokes, so obviously these figures continue to cause alarm,” said Nicholas McGeehan, the Middle East researcher at Human Rights Watch.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I wonder how the death rated in Qatar compare to the Panama Canal.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Qatar is pushing back on the numbers that 4,000 deaths in 1,5 million people in two years is normal. And as much as it pains me to agree with them they are correct. A similar number of US men between 20 and 40 would have more deaths from accidents, disease and suicide.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Are the 4000 deaths from workers on the stadium projects or from labor in Qatar in general?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

I wonder how the death rated in Qatar compare to the Panama Canal.
Well, they aren't building the stadium into a malaria filled swamp, are they? According to wikipedia "by 1884 the death rate was over 200 per month". Pretty sure the Suez canal was bad too. The Panama Canal company was insanely corrupt. I wonder how many people will die for the Nicaragua canal.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 4, 2015

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Toplowtech posted:

Well, they aren't building the stadium into a malaria filled swamp, are they? Pretty sure the Suez canal was bad too. The Panama Canal company was insanely corrupt. I wonder how many people will die for the Nicaragua canal.

Well looking it up for the US years when yellow fever was relatively under controll there were ~5000 deaths over about 10 years. Almost 30,000 people died during the French years. Nevertheless, these are both completely insane, and depending of the active worker pool that go into the Qatar deaths it might be comparable.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Deaths due to the Panama canal or the Suez canal are really bad and wrong, but at the end they did at least lead to lasting infrastructure with massive global benefits. Qatar is building some stadiums that will be used for like 3 weeks and then be abandoned. That poo poo is hardly worth a torn fingernail.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 4, 2015

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Deaths due to the Panama canal or the Suez canal are really bad and wrong, but at the end they did least to lasting infrastructure with massive global benefits. Qatar is building some stadiums that will be used for like 3 weeks and then be abandoned. That poo poo is hardly worth a torn fingernail.
If you want another short term long term comparison, for the construction of the Palace of Versailles, around 3000 people died of malaria, mostly the soldiers who were ordered to drain the swamps.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

CeeJee posted:

Qatar is pushing back on the numbers that 4,000 deaths in 1,5 million people in two years is normal. And as much as it pains me to agree with them they are correct. A similar number of US men between 20 and 40 would have more deaths from accidents, disease and suicide.

I thought the 4000 figure was what was widely expected to be the total after all the construction has happened.

4000 people haven't died building the stadiums. Well not yet anyway.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Raskolnikov38 posted:

At this point it's completely dependent on if he can successfully sneak out of Switzerland or eats a bullet.

He's a rich old white man. He'll get a doctor to cite some health reasons and he'll get the Berlusconi treatment.

It's still a marked improvement to what I was expecting a week ago, to be fair.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

serious gaylord posted:

I thought the 4000 figure was what was widely expected to be the total after all the construction has happened.

4000 people haven't died building the stadiums. Well not yet anyway.

To get to 4000 from where it's currently at we're looking at an average of a death and some change per day.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Antti posted:

He's a rich old white man. He'll get a doctor to cite some health reasons and he'll get the Berlusconi treatment.

It's still a marked improvement to what I was expecting a week ago, to be fair.

RICO is specifically designed to give rich old white men life sentences. It's an absolute screaming monster of a law.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Part of me is worried super loving excited that somehow, all of the FIFA execs are going to start talking, and this thing is going to spawn revelations that no one expected and have huge over-the-top ramifications. Like, every elected european official has been bribed and every CEO of every major sponsor has been personally bribed. I know it won't be that crazy, but imagine the chaos of every few days, a new elected official or board member getting arrested :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Theres quite a few people tugging on shirt collars at Visa and Budweiser HQ's right now.

• Locked thread