Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

teagone posted:

drat, Motorola's Advance Exchange warranty service is pretty sweet. Since the warranty on my 2nd gen Moto G is up in about 3 months, I requested a replacement because of some slight discoloration/distortion on the display and screen ripple on touch due to screen tension I think—these 2 issues never really bothered me much but ehh, since the warranty is almost up, might as well ask for a like new device. I got a notification saying they sent out my replacement, overnight, and it'll be here tomorrow. Awesome. I guess the only thing that might put people off on Advance Exchange is Motorola puts a $99+tax security hold on your credit card for obvious reasons. I don't mind it though. I was totally expecting my replacement to take like 2-3 weeks just to ship for some reason, haha.

Funny, I have the same screen-ripple effect on my 2nd Gen Moto G. I don't think I'm gonna warranty exchange it for that, though. Also, I had a pretty terrible experience with my first 2nd gen Moto G's warranty exchange (dropped it, broke screen) where they received my phone and then held it for 2 weeks without telling me anything. I finally called them up, and they go "Oh yeah, we're holding it because we don't have any black models to exchange it with. Want a white one instead?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Funny, I have the same screen-ripple effect on my 2nd Gen Moto G. I don't think I'm gonna warranty exchange it for that, though. Also, I had a pretty terrible experience with my first 2nd gen Moto G's warranty exchange (dropped it, broke screen) where they received my phone and then held it for 2 weeks without telling me anything. I finally called them up, and they go "Oh yeah, we're holding it because we don't have any black models to exchange it with. Want a white one instead?"

My Moto G went belly up and they were out of stock so they just sent me a dev edition Moto X. :hfive:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

BigBoss posted:

My Moto G went belly up and they were out of stock so they just sent me a dev edition Moto X. :hfive:

Nice. I took the white one because I needed a phone, but really they could have at least tried contacting me at some point during those two weeks.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Does anybody know if I get a "Boost" Moto E if it's unlocked? (Or should I ask in the Sprint thread?) Frys has a deal today, and I almost bit the bullet before I noticed the part of the description that says:

*3G/4G LTE /Enhanced LTE-Switch seamlessly between Sprint's nationwide 3G and 4G LTE networks and the all-new Enhanced LTE network, where available.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Is there a way to change the color of an activesync calendar? I can see how to change the color of all the googles ones, even my facebook event calendar I imported.. but not the color of the NINE exchange email calendar.
I'm on a Moto Droid Maxx, Stock. Quick searching suggests an app to do it, is that really the only way?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

vulturesrow posted:

I've had the Droid Turbo for a few months now and love it for the most part. However It doesn't work very well when connected via Bluetooth to my car audio. There are two specific issues.

1. Playing audio over Bluetooth sounds like poo poo. It stutters, had this weird robotic tone and is basically unusable. This is probably the more annoying of the two issues.

2. The second problem is that Moto voice command stuff doesn't work well at all when on Bluetooth. The prime example is that if I get a text and try to get it read to me the phone instead directs me into send text mode.

The car in question is a 2015 Mazda which uses the Mazda Connect system. I've done a decent amount of Google searching and haven't turned up much. The one suggestion I've tried was turning off WiFi in the car but that didn't help a bit.

I used to have a similar problem on my old HTC EVO in my car, but not in my wife's car. I found that turning off WiFi fixed it in my car. You will probably have to disable the "scanning always available" option for this to work. Once I figured that out, I made a tasker profile that shut off wifi when it connected to my car's bluetooth.

I haven't had that issues since I got a new bluetooth receiver for my car.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Android goons. I need a OTG hub that can charge my phone/tablet and power a usb powered 1tb HDD does it exist?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Android goons. I need a OTG hub that can charge my phone/tablet and power a usb powered 1tb HDD does it exist?

That's a lot of anime

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's funny, it's for a friend overseas she's a functioning techno retard. I think her laptop blew up

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I got my Moto G 2014 warranty replacement today, but they sent me the Global GSM version instead of the US GSM. I'm on T-Mobile, and am still getting 3G/HSPA+ speeds since appareantly I'm in a re-farmed(?) area. I'm located primarily in Chicago/suburbs of Chicago, but I might be moving to LA in the coming months. Should I bother bugging Motorola again to have them send me the US variant? Or am I cool with just sticking with the Global version?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

surc posted:

Does anybody know if I get a "Boost" Moto E if it's unlocked? (Or should I ask in the Sprint thread?) Frys has a deal today, and I almost bit the bullet before I noticed the part of the description that says:

*3G/4G LTE /Enhanced LTE-Switch seamlessly between Sprint's nationwide 3G and 4G LTE networks and the all-new Enhanced LTE network, where available.

It's most definitely locked, if there's a carrier name hooked to a prepaid phone it's basically going to be locked for the useful life of the phone, and doubly so with anything tied to Sprint/Boost/Virgin.

At best you might able to use it on Ting since they resell Sprint, and Boost is a Sprint subsidiary. As an example I bought a handful of Boost Moto Gs for the office to use as development devices because they were on sale at Target once for like $59 each, and I was able to put service on one of them on Ting.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone have any experience with the Alcatel Idol 3? A friend of mine is still on a Galaxy S2 and her boyfriend was going to buy her an Idol 3 to replace it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

deong posted:

Is there a way to change the color of an activesync calendar? I can see how to change the color of all the googles ones, even my facebook event calendar I imported.. but not the color of the NINE exchange email calendar.
I'm on a Moto Droid Maxx, Stock. Quick searching suggests an app to do it, is that really the only way?

You can change it in the Nine app on a per account basis.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Alcatel Idol 3? A friend of mine is still on a Galaxy S2 and her boyfriend was going to buy her an Idol 3 to replace it.

People here tend to get really attached to know quantity in their phone suggestions which is especially important if you are dropping 600$ on a phone. I, on the other hand, think that for $250 it's probably a decent phone. Personally I would look at the 1080p/2gb ram Zenfone 2 for $200 or the 4gb for $300. Although the Idol 3 has better battery life, the Asus is more of a known factor.

Tldr: read some reviews from people that have had the phone for awhile.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Maneki Neko posted:

It's been out less than a month so not many people have them. The Zenfone 2 is pretty similarly spec'd and sells for $50 less ($249 for the Idol 3, $199 for the 2GB/16GB version of the ZF2). I haven't seen any direct comparison between the two, but I have the higher spec'd 4GB/64GB ZF2 (full review to come shortly) and it's nice.

edit: Sorta beaten.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

BeastOfExmoor posted:

It's been out less than a month so not many people have them. The Zenfone 2 is pretty similarly spec'd and sells for $50 less ($249 for the Idol 3, $199 for the 2GB/16GB version of the ZF2). I haven't seen any direct comparison between the two, but I have the higher spec'd 4GB/64GB ZF2 (full review to come shortly) and it's nice.

Thanks for the input - I didn't want to say "go hog wild" because I don't own either. I am looking forward to your review, because the 4gb Zenfone is definitely on my radar.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
So which of you goons is Chris Velazco

http://www.engadget.com/gallery/whats-new-in-the-android-m-dev-preview/3503526/#!slide=3503526

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
For the past few days, the screen on my Moto X won't turn off when inactive. It just sits there, draining the battery, until I hit the power button myself. I have the timer set to 15 seconds in the display options. I recently applied an update pushed out by Verizon, could that be the cause?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

dissss posted:

You can change it in the Nine app on a per account basis.

:doh:
Thanks! I got sidetracked since i could change all other calendars in the main calendar settings, and I could see the nine calendar.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

BeastOfExmoor posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OazsBaMSIlw

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 3, 2015

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Alright, so I've had my Zenfone 2 for about four days now and here's my first impressions. Full disclosure: I got my ZF2 from ASUS from winning an Android Central contest.

Hardware: Overall I really like the phone. Build quality is solid. The capacitive buttons were something I was concerned about since one of my previous phones, a Nokia 920, has capacitive buttons that were easy to accidentally hit, but I don't think I've bumped the ZF2 buttons once. Rear volume buttons and top power button take some getting used to, but I got so tired of hitting my power/volume buttons accidently on my Moto G that I actually prefer these.The size is a little bigger than I’d prefer but since the theory is that I was going from carrying two phones to one I didn’t mind too much. The speaker is pretty weak, unfortunately. I have a somewhat weird edge case usage scenario that requires needing to project loud audio from my phone and this just isn’t loud enough. The Moto G was much louder, as were several other phones I’ve had in the past including things like $50 Nokia Lumia 521’s.

Speed is, not surprisingly, a HUGE improvement over the Moto G. Things load quickly and rarely get kicked out of memory. 4GB of RAM is probably overkill at this point and I’d be curious if the 2GB edition performs much differently. My Moto G was literally having to reload apps every time I switched and I almost always got launcher redraws. I haven’t seen a launcher redraw once on the ZF2. I don't really do any gaming, so I can't say how it performs there.

The micro USB connector is upside down compared to every other device I’ve owned besides my 2012 Nexus 7 so it must be an ASUS thing.

Although the $199 2GB/16GB version is really the hot deal in the lineup, when you consider the 4GB version has 64GB of storage it doesn’t look too shabby. Besides 64GB of storage you also have the ability to add a MicroSD card. ASUS specifies that 64GB is the maximum size, but I dropped my 128GB MicroSDXC card in and it works fine. Previously I was using this card in a cheap prepaid phone I bought as a media player. Moving it to my main phone means one less thing to carry around, which is really nice. For those keeping track, this means my phone has 192GB of storage. Go ahead and start an opinion war about it I guess.

Software: The Zenfone uses a modified version of Android 5.0 with a fair amount of customization. Coming from a near stock KitKat phone it feels a lot different, but a lot of the customizations are things I really like. Swipe down once and you’ll see your notifications. Swipe down a second time and you get a customizable toggles screen. I’ve long been annoyed by the lack of customizability of the stock android toggles page, so this is a a big improvement. Now I can have things like screen rotate, NFC, as well as shortcuts to frequently used things like a flashlight and calculator. There are some really dumb things here as well, however, like a “Boost” button which basically functions as a task killer as far as I can tell. Hard to tell if this is a placebo for all the people concerned about RAM usage or if it actually has some function, but I disabled it immediately. Android should be handling this stuff internally and I have yet to see any RAM "issues" that could've been solved by a "boost" function. There’s also a few subtle UI adds like a reboot option when holding down the power button that I really missed on stock android.

I replaced the ASUS launcher with Nova pretty quickly so I don’t have much to say about it. Slightly more feature rich than stock, but it doesn't compare to Nova for me.

The dialer is actually pretty great and gives you the option to record audio which is a nice feature. Someone about to give you directions or an address? Just hit record.

There’s a bunch of included apps on the phone. About half a dozen are straight up junk that ASUS is being paid to include (“50 Free Games”, Trip Advisor, etc.). Fortunately all those were easily uninstalled. Then there’s a bunch of ASUS programs of varying levels of utility. About a third are fluff (live wallpapers, etc.), another third are “why bother when there’s apps that do a better job” (various proprietary photo sharing apps, an ASUS web browser, etc.), and about a third are useful. Most of the fluff and “why bother” stuff is uninstallable so there’s not really too much harm, but I never quite know why phone makers spend time and money developing apps whose purposes are better met by free apps in the play store.

Camera: I’m not a really big of cell phone cameras, so this isn’t important to me much at all. To me it’s an acceptable camera phone. I compared it to my Nokia 920, which had a pretty good camera a few years ago, and it seemed like the Zenfone 2 slightly outperformed it. The camera software is decent. I haven’t played around with it too much, but I was relieved to see that despite having quite a few “custom” modes it’s mostly unobtrusive. Manual mode seems to be the mode for anyone who knows even a tiny bit about photography. It gives you an onscreen level and onscreen controls for things like EV. Almost all my shots in auto mode have been slightly underexposed. There’s a 5 megapixel front facing camera. Looks fine for Skype and whatnot, but I can’t say I take a lot of selfie’s, so…

Video, on the other hand, leaves a lot to be desired. 1080P videos look like sub-720p quality.

Battery Life: I don’t know that I can judge this well yet. I’ve been running with two SIM’s which likely burns a good chunk of additional battery. I’ve also spent a good chunk of my work week in an office with almost zero cell reception which can’t help either. My non-scientific impression is that standby battery life is generally good, but once you turn on a screen or do something it starts burning battery life pretty quickly. I spent a few hours yesterday driving around listening to podcasts and music via Bluetooth and it seemed like that drained things pretty fast. Perhaps this is standard with Android. The camera also seemed to drain battery surprisingly fast.

Smart Charging: Wow. This is really the new killer feature for me. I bought a “Quick Charge 2.0” car charger and now I can charge my phone like 40% on a quick twenty minute drive. This obviously won’t do you much good if you’re in the middle of the woods, but if you’re around an AC outlet or car it will solve a lot of problems. It would have been nice to have wireless charging, but given the choice I’ll take quick charging 100% of the time.

Dual SIM Functionality: This is the only area I’ve really been disappointed. I was pretty excited that I could carry around one phone with both my work and personal sim cards and get the best of both worlds. In practice this may be impossible for my scenario. SIM 1 basically does everything (LTE/3G/Voice) and SIM 2 only does “2G” (calls/texts). Two unforeseen things really killed this for me. The first is that 2G really does mean *no data*. That means you will be unable to use things like MMS/group messaging on SIM 2. Since most of my calling/texting is done on SIM 2 this is a real deal breaker for me. The other thing I didn’t foresee is that 3rd party texting apps don’t really work with anything other than SIM 1. I’d been using EvolveSMS previously, which was great, but it has no dual SIM support. It will receive messages from both SIMs, but anything sent in reply comes from SIM 1. ASUS does include their own messaging app that has dual SIM functionality. Instead of hitting a send button you choose which SIM card to send from. Unfortunately this app is pretty bare bones and even simple options like custom text tones and choosing to both vibrate and ring when you receive a text are missing.

The Future: This is a big question mark. The ZF2 launched with Android 5.0. At this point ASUS has not said anything about updating to 5.1, much less the recently announced Android M. ASUS has released a steady stream of small updates (presumably bug fixes more than feature additions) so they're not abandoning the phone or anything, but it would be nice to have a little visibility to what the future will hold.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 4, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I’ve long been annoyed by the lack of customizability of the stock android toggles page, so this is a a big improvement.

You'll be happy to hear that the Android M preview has this built in to stock android.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

You'll be happy to hear that the Android M preview has this built in to stock android.

I did hear that, and that's great. No idea why it took them so long though. Heck, even Windows Phone has had this for years. Stock 5.0/5.1 also has a flashlight function available from the drop down, right?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I did hear that, and that's great. No idea why it took them so long though. Heck, even Windows Phone has had this for years. Stock 5.0/5.1 also has a flashlight function available from the drop down, right?

The notification shade you mentioned is in Lollipop as well, although it isn't customizable.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Rocksicles posted:

I think this is what you're looking for?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

BigBoss posted:

My friend got a Nexus 6 when he sent in his Moto X.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

What the gently caress, why didn't Motorola send me a Moto X instead of a Global GSM Moto G—I was told US GSM models were out of stock, which is why I got a Global GSM one... :argh:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

nmfree posted:

I think this is what you're looking for?

Seems it works to charge the device on some and not others, I suppose it's the ROM.

I was looking for a HUB so she could use multiple flash drives and a HDD but that's better than nothing. Cheers

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Seems it works to charge the device on some and not others, I suppose it's the ROM.

I was looking for a HUB so she could use multiple flash drives and a HDD but that's better than nothing. Cheers
When I use mine with a SDR stick I have to have everything plugged into it before plugging it into the phone otherwise it won't charge the phone. This is true across multiple devices and manufacturers so I don't think it has much to do with what ROM you're running.

I just tried it with a lovely USB Chinese hub and three USB flash drives and it worked, so it should work for you as well.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

nmfree posted:

When I use mine with a SDR stick I have to have everything plugged into it before plugging it into the phone otherwise it won't charge the phone. This is true across multiple devices and manufacturers so I don't think it has much to do with what ROM you're running.

I just tried it with a lovely USB Chinese hub and three USB flash drives and it worked, so it should work for you as well.

Cool i'll check it, according to those amazon reviews there seems to be a definite charging issue for some devices. But it's a handful of $$.

I wouldn't mind one now. My OTG cable is just standard.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, I flashed M on my Nexus 6. Nothing too awesome/terrible to report so far, apps work fine, etc. Honestly I did it pretty much solely for the media volume drop down.

[Edit: Waze doesn't work but apparently that's because it relies on a legacy string implementation (or something) that was accidentally removed from AOSP shortly before the M preview came out. It's back in AOSP now so it should work with the next preview build.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 4, 2015

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

lelandjs posted:

Well, I flashed M on my Nexus 6. Nothing too awesome/terrible to report so far, apps work fine, etc. Honestly I did it pretty much solely for the media volume drop down.

And here I am without a Lollipop update for my Maxx. I wonder if I'll end up skipping Lollipop entirely and jumping straight to M. :unsmith:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

isndl posted:

And here I am without a Lollipop update for my Maxx. I wonder if I'll end up skipping Lollipop entirely and jumping straight to M. :unsmith:

Nope, they're gonna discontinue support as N comes out and you're gonna be stuck in 4.4.4 hell forever

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
It's a shame. Motorola had been doing so good with updates while Google owned them, but they haven't been able to get them out quickly since 5.0 came out. I know it's not completely their fault, and they did say that they were skipping straight to 5.1 because of bugs (which is commendable) but it's still disappointing.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Alright, so I've had my Zenfone 2 for about four days now and here's my first impressions. Full disclosure: I got my ZF2 from ASUS from winning an Android Central contest.

Camera:

So, which Moto G did you come from? How does the camera compare?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Did they make "Set a timer for x minutes" in Google Now start an alarm instead of a timer again? Recently started using it again and I just can't find a way to get it to make a bloody timer when I ask for it, checked with a couple of friends and it happened to them too.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Nalesh posted:

Did they make "Set a timer for x minutes" in Google Now start an alarm instead of a timer again? Recently started using it again and I just can't find a way to get it to make a bloody timer when I ask for it, checked with a couple of friends and it happened to them too.

I just tried "ok google set a timer for 15 minutes" and it correctly started a 15 minute timer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lowen SoDium posted:

It's a shame. Motorola had been doing so good with updates while Google owned them, but they haven't been able to get them out quickly since 5.0 came out. I know it's not completely their fault, and they did say that they were skipping straight to 5.1 because of bugs (which is commendable) but it's still disappointing.

MAXX and X (2013) are having interference from Qualcomm dragging their feet on drivers. Custom chipset for those phones hurt moto a bit.

VoLTE hasn't helped things either (and, in part, factors into the Qualcomm issue). Turbo wasn't going to lose VoLTE just to get Lollipop and there just wasn't a solution until 5.1 came out. Similar situation to the MAXX. Verizon isn't going to allow advanced calling to be removed to go to Lollipop, so they needed to wait until support was there (both from the OS and driver stack from Qualcomm.)

Factor into ALL of that Verizon dictating testing schedules for new updates, and you get a whole ball of delays.

Keep in mind as well that Moto got Lollipop out to the 2014 Moto X at the end of last year. That's pretty drat fast. It's just that Lollipop has been a clusterfuck of ultimate proportions and a smaller manufacturer like Moto needs to negotiate carefully for testing slots on the carriers.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 4, 2015

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Eejit posted:

I just tried "ok google set a timer for 15 minutes" and it correctly started a 15 minute timer.

Odd, I've even tried changing it to UK english, US english, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nalesh posted:

Odd, I've even tried changing it to UK english, US english, etc.

"set a timer for 1 second" just worked for me