Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

mlmp08 posted:

Bow ties are for attending events that require them by regulation, people who want to be like Tucker Carlson, children, and sedan chairs' aforementioned political maverick wannabes.

Also Pee-wee Herman, so it's not all bad news.

quote:

It’s the truth that you should never trust anybody who wears a bow tie. Cravat’s supposed to point down to accentuate the genitals. Why’d you wanna trust somebody whose tie points out to accentuate his ears?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Jumping on the bowtie-bashing bandwagon:

David Sedaris posted:

[I]n Chicago a young man defined [the bow tie] as "the pierced eyebrow of the Republican Party."

[...]

It was my friend Frank, a writer in San Francisco, who finally set me straight. When asked about my new look he put down his fork and stared at me for a few moments. "A bow tie announces to the world you can no longer get an erection.

I own at least 7 bow ties

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

my bony fealty posted:

Not sure myself but let's see what the fashion experts in this thread think!

Being able to point out that Scott Walker doesn't look like he's ever even dressed himself for a job interview is a pretty low bar for fashion expert.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Except he wanted to pretend he wasn't Scrooge McDuck.

Scrooge McDuck made his money honestly and never gutted a company for its assets. He's Flintheart Glomgold, complete with the South African Apartheid-era views on blacks.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Scrooge McDuck made his money honestly and never gutted a company for its assets. He's Flintheart Glomgold, complete with the South African Apartheid-era views on blacks.

"Scrooge privately admitted to his nephews that he had used an army of "cutthroats" to get the tribe to abandon their lands, in order to establish a rubber plantation."

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Fulchrum posted:

I would ahve found that acceptable as well if he'd just owned that persona instead of being all "I am a Man of the People" dumbshit.

"Hi, I'm Mitt Romney and I am incredibly wealth, privileged and successful. I own a car elevator. Do you own a car elevator? Would you like to own a car elevator? Yes? Then vote for me. I am the man best qualified to get more Car Elevators in American Homes."

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

An event that he recounted in his biography (okay, the retelling of his life via flashbacks to the actual scene) as being the darkest act he ever undertook, made at a time when he had lost all contact with his family and humanity (duckity? ), and he abandoned all scruples in favor of raw profitability.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 3, 2015

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Being able to point out that Scott Walker doesn't look like he's ever even dressed himself for a job interview is a pretty low bar for fashion expert.

Well, Walker's worked for his wealthy family, lobbyists, and Wisconsin government, so has he really had an interview in his life?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Fulchrum posted:

Bernie Sanders made it clear that Scrooge McDuck's pool should be a public pool. Especially on summer days.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
So the Democratic primary now has as many non-Democrats running in it as Democrats.

And the one who announced tonight is making metric conversion a core issue and thinks we should try negotiating with ISIS.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Hey Scott Walker how do you feel about rape and incest?

quote:

Scott Walker: women only concerned with rape and incest in 'initial months' of pregnancy

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/03/wisconsin-scott-walker-abortion-incest-rape

Oh...ok...

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

So the Democratic primary now has as many non-Democrats running in it as Democrats.

And the one who announced tonight is making metric conversion a core issue and thinks we should try negotiating with ISIS.

Goddamn is chaffee's campaign even going to last until Friday?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Hopefully Jindal brings his stellar education record to the race

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...rse.single.html

quote:

When a student in Louisiana opens her textbook in biology class, she might not have the standard Miller and Levine Biology with a dragonfly on the cover, and she might not ever learn about evolution. For some Louisiana public school students, their science textbook is the Bible, and in biology class they read the Book of Genesis to learn the “creation point of view.”

quote:

The Louisiana Science Education Act, passed by the state legislature in 2008, permits science teachers to use supplemental materials to “critique” evolution, opening a backdoor that these teachers are using, as intended, to teach creationism. Such lessons are allowed under this Louisiana law, but they are illegal under federal law.

quote:

Shawna Creamer, a science teacher at Airline High School, sent an email to the principal, Jason Rowland, informing him of which class periods she would use to teach creationism. “We will read in Genesis and them [sic] some supplemental material debunking various aspects of evolution from which the students will present,”

quote:

And creationism certainly is being taught in Caddo Parish schools. Charlotte Hinson, a fifth-grade teacher at Caddo’s Eden Gardens Magnet School, wrote a column for the Shreveport Times in which she declared: “My job is to present both [evolution and creationism]” because “God made science.”

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:bravo:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I would ahve found that acceptable as well if he'd just owned that persona instead of being all "I am a Man of the People" dumbshit.

"Hi, I'm Mitt Romney and I am incredibly wealth, privileged and successful. I own a car elevator. Do you own a car elevator? Would you like to own a car elevator? Yes? Then vote for me. I am the man best qualified to get more Car Elevators in American Homes."

So Donald Trump, then?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

How heavy were his cuts to the LSU system again, out of the previous operating budget?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
First TV ad from Martin O'Malley's super PAC goes heavy on the bits of his announcement speech that slammed Hillary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dmSKK5RZ9g

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

At times like this I have to repost Jimmy Carter's response when Georgia proposed to ban the word "evolution" from its school system:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/01/30/georgia.evolution/

quote:

But Carter said dropping the word would leave Georgia's high school graduates "with a serious handicap as they enter college or private life where freedom of speech will be permitted."

Carter also predicted ridicule for the state, along with discredit on Georgia's university system.

"The existing and long-standing use of the word 'evolution' in our state's textbooks has not adversely affected Georgians' belief in the omnipotence of God as creator of the universe," Carter said. "There can be no incompatibility between Christian faith and proven facts concerning geology, biology, and astronomy.

"There is no need to teach that stars can fall out of the sky and land on a flat Earth in order to defend our religious faith."

The "e" word was subsequently restored:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/06/education/06EVOL.html

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hey look, it's totally-not-a-campaign-ad on Ted Cruz's Senate (non-campaign) YouTube stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4EfFoBOIRE

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

First TV ad from Martin O'Malley's super PAC goes heavy on the bits of his announcement speech that slammed Hillary.

Was kinda hoping the primary would stay more issues-based for the Dems, but lol I'm stupid.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Martin's tack of hitting Hillary from left hilariously is probably going to benefit Bernie more than him. Bernie can plod on with his no negative ads campaign while O'Malley hits Hillary.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

My congressman stands with American when standing withavakldkl;kvd;klga;lkgdl;kdgsl;k

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

http://www.dayswithoutagoprapemention.com/

It isn't being updated anymore... :(

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

But can a potential Republican nominee do... this?!

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Chokes McGee posted:

Scott Walker 2016
this ain't no fooling around

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Chokes McGee posted:

Close enough?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Martin's tack of hitting Hillary from left hilariously is probably going to benefit Bernie more than him. Bernie can plod on with his no negative ads campaign while O'Malley hits Hillary.

seriously if bernie makes it far theres going to be a riot around him and hes gonna be the only person without a baseball bat or a brick

any money or dnc resources that revolve around bernie are going to do all the negative stuff for him.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Fashion chat:

All candidates, male or female, must be required to wear suit jackets or blazers over graphic tees.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cardboard Box A posted:

Fashion chat:

All candidates, male or female, must be required to wear suit jackets or blazers over graphic tees.

Will you accept suit jacket and turtleneck?

How about suit jacket and shorts?

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Joementum posted:

You know, if I thought he would actually send the SEC to do mass arrests on trading floors on bullshit charges I'd probably consider voting for the guy.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
God, imagine just swarms of feds busting in and handcuffing basically everyone.

That'd own so hard.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:monocle: Ted Cruz actually apologized for doing the Joe Biden joke he always does in his stump speech today.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cardboard Box A posted:

Fashion chat:

Congratulations, you found something more affected than bowties!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Joementum posted:

:monocle: Ted Cruz actually apologized for doing the Joe Biden joke he always does in his stump speech today.

I will regret this but, what is the joke or is there video of the apology?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I will regret this but, what is the joke or is there video of the apology?

"Vice President Joe Biden. You know the nice thing? You don't need a punchline."

The apology is on Ted's Facebook page. Pro tip: don't read the comments on Ted's Facebook page.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

Was this after he made the joke, or did he actually just apologize for making it in the past?

site fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 4, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

site posted:

Was this after he made the joke, or did he actually just apologize for making it in the past?

He made it in a speech tonight, was asked by a reporter why he was joking about Biden on the day before his son's funeral, turned and walked away from the reporter without comment, and posted that to Facebook.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

He made it in a speech tonight, was asked by a reporter why he was joking about Biden on the day before his son's funeral, turned and walked away from the reporter without comment, and posted that to Facebook.

They really aren't good outside the bubble, are they?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

Okay, so he really was an rear end in a top hat about it.

Bet the only reason the FB post is up is cuz his staffers told him to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Cardboard Box A posted:

Fashion chat:

Require candidates to cosplay.

• Locked thread