Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

kloa posted:

Right. Guess I meant more in the sense that you add things as you go. I've worked at places that don't have any of the generally accepted things people here talk about : source control, unit tests, etc.

Don't just ask if they do a thing. Ask how they do that thing.

For "unit tests", make sure the tests themselves are automated, make sure they're run regularly (at minimum, before every check-in!) and fixed when they break, etc.

My first real job, I asked if they had unit tests. They said they did. So I asked if the developers wrote the unit tests (as opposed to testers who otherwise never touched the code), and they said they did! Perfect!

Then I started working there and found out that a "unit test" for them was a sequence of steps a manual tester should perform when banging on the UI. E.g., "1. click the 'start' button. the 'next' button will turn green. 2. click the 'next' button. the 'previous' button will appear. 3. click the 'previous' button..." and so on. And they were telling the truth - all developers were expected to write (and perform) them and then have a tester run through them before declaring the feature or bug-fix "done". These unit tests got performed exactly twice - first by the developer writing them and then by a second person, and if the tested functionality was broken at some point, we would find out a few days or weeks later when a customer complained.

Safe and Secure! fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
"Where do requirements come from, and how are they prioritised?"

"How is that work allocated?"

"What is the process that happens between a developer making a change to the code on his/her machine and that change running in production?"

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
How could a company not use source control? What does that even mean?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Doghouse posted:

my documents/my dropbox/code/project/main-usethisone.c--9/03/12 (3).c

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

gonadic io posted:

my documents/my dropbox/code/project/main-usethisone.c--9/03/12 (3).c

You don't have to rename the file, you can just add the new code and comment out the old one.

Edit: Maybe tag it with the year and your first name just in case.

Hiowf fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 4, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If you're going to go work for a company that produces software and you'll be working with an established product that you've not seen in use before, make sure to ask to see it in an interview. I'm surprised how many people haven't asked me this when I'm sitting on the other side of the table, and I learned this the hard way myself.

For a previous job of mine If I found out in an interview -- rather than on my first day -- that the product's front-end was basically from the IE6 days (and this was 2007, so still stale enough by then), I'd probably have not taken any offer that came my way. For one thing, it was ugly, slow, and didn't work well. You couldn't really feel proud about what you were working on. But it would have been a good tell that the company didn't invest a lot of resources into the software.

The product was basically the market leader in its class, so they felt little need to put a lot of money into it. Customers bought it anyway, as expensive on-prem software that came with pricey annual maintenance contracts. When cloud-based competitors came onto the field, it became clear the company was optimizing for a local maximum instead of looking forward, though.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Doghouse posted:

At my last job the lead dev set aside one week every month to hand-merge changes submitted by email.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

At my last job the lead dev set aside one week every month to hand-merge changes submitted by email.

I shuddered at this

Spectral
Mar 24, 2013
Just got my first offer. I'm from the UK and I'm coming from a conversion course so I've only been studying CS for 9 months, but the company that's hiring me is a major tech company and the position is a Software Engineer. Their offer is about 5% lower than the glassdoor average for this company position (although there aren't that many data points).

How should I approach negotiation? I'm probably less qualified than most of their candidates and have no other offers.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Spectral posted:

Just got my first offer. I'm from the UK and I'm coming from a conversion course so I've only been studying CS for 9 months, but the company that's hiring me is a major tech company and the position is a Software Engineer. Their offer is about 5% lower than the glassdoor average for this company position (although there aren't that many data points).

How should I approach negotiation? I'm probably less qualified than most of their candidates and have no other offers.

Ask for more, higher than what you actually want since they will most likely counter. If the company yanks the offer because you tried to negotiate salary then you didn't want to work there anyway.

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

I just realized that I could take summer courses and graduate in december instead of may like I planned. The rush means that I won't have a chance to find an internship or co-op. Should I try to graduate earlier or take it slow and find a spring co-op?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Internship is usually the safer route, in terms of increased likelihood of finding a decent new grad job. If you've already done a couple internships or co-ops though, it probably doesn't matter much.

Tavistock
Oct 30, 2010

Hey, does this look good to send to prospective employers? I feel like it needs work as far as the content goes, any suggestions:

http://tavistock.github.io/homepage.html

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Tavistock posted:

Hey, does this look good to send to prospective employers? I feel like it needs work as far as the content goes, any suggestions:

Yeah it looks fine, you have some cool, non-trivial stuff and the page looks good.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Tavistock posted:

Minor but noticeable UI bug in Firefox.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Tavistock posted:

Screen shorter than 520px causes left side nav text to collapse on itself.
Screens shorter than 630px cause top nav to go over image and is then unreadable.
I'd suggest adding target="_blank" to your links.
Any reason you chose that picture? Your eyes appear to be closed and you've cropped two peoples' heads in half, also it's quite pixelated.

I'd suggest working on the mobile display a bit:
- your email and GitHub are off center
- your menu system looks a bit weird
- there's so much empty space (specifically in the about me section)
- I'd suggest making the header image responsive
- the whole gradient thing falls apart and is confusing in single column view

Your blog could use some work. It's a bit of a mind gently caress to look at.

Otherwise, it looks pretty good.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
You might also want to rehearse why you are doing Philosophy and looking for a career as a developer. People will ask.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010
Also "WEB DEVELOPER" at the very top is in a different font that is used nowhere else on the page and looks suspiciously like Times New Roman (even though it's not):

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Tavistock posted:

No. You need a resume.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Why does clicking on "projects" scroll past the (unlisted) skills section? I find this layout terribly confusing.

Hiowf fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 5, 2015

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Now that I'm not looking at it on a phone...
Why do I get a text cursor when hovering over links?
Why is there a picture?

Why is there a girl in the picture?
Where can I download your resume?

Why is it spelled Javascript and then spelled JavaScript?
Why is Clojure hyperlinked?
How is "Github" a skill? For that matter, "Bitbucket"? What other websites are you skilled at?

Why is there a girl in the picture?
Where can I download your resume?

code:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="./src/images/favicon.png" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="./src/main.css"/>
<meta charset="UTF-8">
<title>Travis McNeal</title>
</head>
<body>
<div id="info-sections"></div>
</body>
<script src="./src/build.js"></script>
</html>
Millenials.

E: Seriously (not that I wasn't serious before -- I was) the first thing you need is some attention to detail. There's no reason to have inconsistent spelling, or for that matter, broken UI elements that are so obvious and noticeable as the cursor on a hyperlink being the wrong shape. Also, it is not part of the American business culture to have your own photograph on a resume, but it's especially not part of that culture to have other people in the photograph. The biggest problem with this whole thing is how self-absorbed it is. A resume, be it in the form of a resume or forty thousand kilobytes of JAVA-script, is supposed to tell potential employers basic facts about your background and experience. It is not supposed to be an act of self-worship. That's what this Travis McNail web experience looks like, to me.

sarehu fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 5, 2015

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

sarehu posted:

How is "Github" a skill? For that matter, "Bitbucket"? What other websites are you skilled at?

I've seen "Github" as a required skill in job postings before, I don't think it really hurts to put it in there if you're applying through non-technical people that just try and match up a job posting with literally whatever you have on a resume.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Tavistock posted:

1. On Safari on iOS, the navigation links just plain don't work. Not on iPhone, not on iPad. On Chrome on Android, you have this jank in the right and bottom edges, but at least the links work.

Either way the navigation links are nigh on impossible to find. Once you do find them it requires you to zoom to be able to read what they say, and to make sure you don't butterfinger it when tapping. And like I said then on iOS you discover after doing that, tapping has no effect anyway.

A potential hiring manager is very likely to be on their phone when the link to your site comes across to them, and that probability will go up depending upon how busy they usually are. If they saw this site on their phone they'd be left with a negative impression, especially because you hold yourself out as a web developer.

2. If you're going to have a photo of yourself, use a real head shot, or at best something with just you in it where you're looking at the camera. In the photo you have, you look like you're checking out the rear end on the woman in front of you. Or that you're trying to be introspective, which just looks kinda pretentious.

3. If your highlighted projects are web projects then host them live somewhere, so people can see what they actually do. One screenshot and a link to your github code isn't sufficient.

4. If you're going to publicly present a project on a professional site as an example of your work, don't post one where the most recent git history for a file includes the following. Again, first impressions, and the first impression from someone looking at it is that you're going to leave poo poo like this in their repos.

quote:

maybe i should make smaller git commits; lol thats never going to happen

5. Your site breaks the back navigation. When you click one of your github links and hit back to your site, you get taken to the top of the page, not where you were before. This is especially annoying because you decided to design according to the "let's just chuck all our content onto one big long page with lots of scrolling" school of thought.

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

Cicero posted:

Internship is usually the safer route, in terms of increased likelihood of finding a decent new grad job. If you've already done a couple internships or co-ops though, it probably doesn't matter much.

If I graduate earlier and get a slightly worse new grad job, isn't that better than an internship when I start looking for a better job?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Funosaurus posted:

If I graduate earlier and get a slightly worse new grad job, isn't that better than an internship when I start looking for a better job?

Depends who the internship is with. A good internship working on something interesting with interesting people is far better than some poo poo full-time job.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
While I agree with all the issues punted or this far, to have the positive reinforcement sandwich or whatever the gently caress, I do like the general design, layout and colors of it, just work on fixing the bugs and some of the other suggestions.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

kitten smoothie posted:

1. On Safari on iOS, the navigation links just plain don't work. Not on iPhone, not on iPad. On Chrome on Android, you have this jank in the right and bottom edges, but at least the links work.

Either way the navigation links are nigh on impossible to find. Once you do find them it requires you to zoom to be able to read what they say, and to make sure you don't butterfinger it when tapping. And like I said then on iOS you discover after doing that, tapping has no effect anyway.

There's no viewport metatag on the site either, so it does not scale and looks like crap on mobile, even though there is some attempt at being responsive on desktop. But while it looks okay if you shrink the horizontal width on the browser, changing the vertical height screws it up.

Also, maybe it's just me, but using react for a simple static site like this seems kinda weird to me.

Tavistock
Oct 30, 2010

sarehu posted:

No. You need a resume.

I think this is what I'm going to just send out instead. The more I reflect on it the more I think it is over self indulgent, I'll just make a projects page on my blog and include the pictures of my projects and it will probably be more needs suiting than this. Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll also make my blog less of a cluster gently caress as far as css

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Tavistock posted:

I think this is what I'm going to just send out instead.

No, this page is a nice addendum to a resume, but it's not a replacement. Prepare and maintain a real resume.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Drastic Actions posted:

Also, maybe it's just me, but using react for a simple static site like this seems kinda weird to me.

It is kind of weird that what is essentially a simple static content site is

(0) entirely in Javascript, and

(1) yet has an empty div inside the HTML body.

The content should be in the HTML, with Javascript on top of it for the fancy effects. This site suggests over-engineering, which may be a very poor trait to a potential employer.

On the other hand, maybe the interviewer won't bother groveling through the code for your resume.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Tavistock posted:

I think this is what I'm going to just send out instead. The more I reflect on it the more I think it is over self indulgent, I'll just make a projects page on my blog and include the pictures of my projects and it will probably be more needs suiting than this. Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll also make my blog less of a cluster gently caress as far as css

It's OK to have a site! The following specific aspects of it make it seem too self-worshippy:

- Having the top fold be just your name, and a logo surrounding your name that looks like the Sun. And that the logo's derived from one of your projects so your code is, like, your identity (, man).

- Having a picture of one of your many female supplicants.

- The prose in the projects section. For one, the writing style, but also, the content. There are descriptions of why you did the project, but they're slanted from your perspective. The sentences that describe why you did something ("It was an experiment...", "The purpose was...") are totally interesting to you, totally irrelevant to other people. What is important to other people is not your life story about how you came across these software projects, but, in short, how cool the projects are, i.e. what they are, and that they exist.

- The general mechanics of the way scrolling works, where a recruiter or manager visiting your site has to scroll through some sort of Travis McNally Experience.

Tavistock
Oct 30, 2010

I meant I was going to send out a resume, I agree with sarehu

edit: I'm goint to get a headshot that wasn't taken on a potato.

When doing a live mock interview (from someone with programming experience) and should I just tell them to ask me some questions from "Element's of Programmming Interviews" and make me explain what I'm doing or should I get someone who knows how to program?

Tavistock fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 5, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Google contacted me about a dev advocate role. I messed up the technical component of a dev/consulting role last year so I'm all :supaburn: reading CTCI and it'll probably go badly again but we'll see. Hopefully I don't get some machine learning C++ superbrain guy for the coding interview again.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 5, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Tavistock posted:

I meant I was going to send out a resume, I agree with sarehu

edit: I'm goint to get a headshot that wasn't taken on a potato.

When doing a live mock interview (from someone with programming experience) and should I just tell them to ask me some questions from "Element's of Programmming Interviews" and make me explain what I'm doing or should I get someone who knows how to program?

You probably need practice more in the talking about code in front of people, that's where most freeze up. A random person can help with that. What you need a coder for, and specifically, one better than you, is to tear your code to shreds before your eyes and ask you to justify yourself. Once you can do that calmly without crying, you're pretty much ready for anything.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
how many interviews actually end in tears? The last coop I did my boss told me they had a real problem with students bursting into tears at the questions they were asking.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

JawKnee posted:

how many interviews actually end in tears? The last coop I did my boss told me they had a real problem with students bursting into tears at the questions they were asking.

They never ever should.

That is uh, a pretty bad sign of the interviewer.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

JawKnee posted:

:stare:
Zero.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

JawKnee posted:

The last coop I did my boss told me they had a real problem with students bursting into tears at the questions they were asking.

Q1. Write a function to find the most recent common ancestor of two nodes in a binary tree

Q2. Discuss the design of a putative new mobile app for our product

Q3. WHAT DOES MARCELLUS WALLACE LOOK LIKE?!

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Q4. Are you gay?

Q5. Do your parents know you're gay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

piratepilates posted:

They never ever should.

That is uh, a pretty bad sign of the interviewer.

I mean, I can't confirm this actually happened, but they were pretty serious when they told me about it. Not like this was actually a good coop either - federal government tech support. I regret that I wasted my time there.