Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TubeStank posted:

How the hell foes overtime work in ranked? We had a team down 80 to 30 and them managed to lose even though we held both points almost the entirety of overtime??

Edit maybe I should just stop playing ranked because every system in it is obnoxiously dumb. Get close to finally ranking up them get hosed over by poo poo teams and dumb overtime rules argh
If the losing team is in control at the end of the 3 minutes, its overtime until they hold it long enough to win or lose control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

TubeStank posted:

Edit maybe I should just stop playing ranked because every system in it is obnoxiously dumb. Get close to finally ranking up them get hosed over by poo poo teams and dumb overtime rules argh

Yeah, maybe you'll stop complaining about it, then.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

homeless snail posted:

If the losing team is in control at the end of the 3 minutes, its overtime until they hold it long enough to win or lose control.

Yeah that's really dumb. Even though my team took over both points multiple times we somehow couldn't stop the overtime until they inkstriked both points at the same time and ended the map. Cool system

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TubeStank posted:

How the hell does overtime work in ranked? We had a team down 80 to 30 and them managed to lose even though we held both points almost the entirety of overtime??

If one team is ahead and they control the zones or nobody controls the zones, it ends. If the losing team controls the zones, the match continues until they get ahead. If the zones go neutral, they have somewhere between five and ten seconds to retake the zone. If the winning team takes control or too much time passes, the match ends and the team in the lead wins.

Penalty time is disregarded entirely.

Also, Elo hell doesn't exist.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TubeStank posted:

Yeah that's really dumb. Even though my team took over both points multiple times we somehow couldn't stop the overtime until they inkstriked both points at the same time and ended the map. Cool system
No actually its cool and you got stomped.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

If your ready to be rolled or zapped my Nintendo Id is Jarogue, Mii Jarrett.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

codenameFANGIO posted:

Too bad you didn't get to do it too often. :whatup:

I got you three times in a row you fucknugget i'm going to splat you so hard your children will be squids all the time

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Literally every team requires a Kraken and a Aerospray/Gal/Splattershot.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm glad I'm good at this game™

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

I like this. I don't know anything about Ika Musume but I'm interested now.

It's about an anthropomorphic squid, much like a Splatoon inkling, who emerges from the sea with intentions of punishing humanity for their literal pollution. The humans above pay her no mind and she ends up working for a beachside restaurant, due in part to pay off damages she's done to the venue on pain of death by ninja.

She's also an idiot.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Level Slide posted:

It's about an anthropomorphic squid, much like a Splatoon inkling, who emerges from the sea with intentions of punishing humanity for their literal pollution. The humans above pay her no mind and she ends up working for a beachside restaurant, due in part to pay off damages she's done to the venue on pain of death by ninja.

She's also an idiot.

This sounds great, I'm down.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There's something very flattering about an opponent busting out their special in a strategically useless position, just to try and take you out.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

mabels big day posted:

Definitely not. I switched to an smg type weapon and its so much easier to do well with that it's stupid. If you think the weapons in this game are actually balanced you're dead wrong. I'm really mad at this game right now.

Anything that shoots ink fast is good, and so is the krackon roller. everything else is bad. This is the new realization I've come to
blasters are loving great in ranked tho, and chargers are fine there too

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Countblanc posted:

The charger is like, decidedly mediocre, and it will remain as such until it grows up into an actual rocket launcher and AoEs when it hits the floor/walls.
hmm. hmmm, if only there was a weapon like this

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

hmm. hmmm, if only there was a weapon like this

To be fair the splash damage goes to negligible if it hits a wall or the ground. It's gotta pop in the air or on a kid/squid.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Fix posted:

That tower thing isn't out yet.

Oh, wow, did they really ship the game with only two game modes in it?

I'm not really sure what the current slow drip release of the game is supposed to do, honestly.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oh I imagine the game mode is already in there. It's just not unlocked or whatever their method is, like all the other arena maps in the single-player that aren't playable in multiplay yet. They're doling out content over the next few months.

Just trying to keep people coming back or something, eliminate people getting burned out and reselling, maybe. I dunno. It'll be interesting to see if it works for them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
<LazyMaybe>maybe the most annoying thing ever
<LazyMaybe>is trying to join a friend
<LazyMaybe>and then they quit
<LazyMaybe>and it puts you in a match anyways
<Beastcurse> yep
<LazyMaybe>30 and you can't back out
<Beastcurse> you just waited 3 minutes
<Beastcurse> they leave
<Beastcurse> you're playing with pubbies
<LazyMaybe>nintendo. please

Lemming posted:

To be fair the splash damage goes to negligible if it hits a wall or the ground. It's gotta pop in the air or on a kid/squid.
Sure, but it's still good 2 hit kill splash damage. You just gotta like, aim just a lil

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Flytrap posted:

I'm not really sure what the current slow drip release of the game is supposed to do, honestly.

it launched with 1 mode! :eng101: And the regular content updating is probably mostly to make up for the games ridiculously quick dev cycle as much as it is to maintain interest. If it was a budget title like it was originally planned to be (I think they said that in the Iwata Asks? Can't remember for certain), they probably would have left it as it was at release, but everybody went loving crazy over it and now it's like their flagship title for the moment.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Flytrap posted:

It's supposed to:
-Keep people coming back whenever new content arrives, so the game doesn't die in a week
-Get players to progressively learn different maps and modes in a focused way

Like, Splat Zones would be a lot more overwhelming without learning the ropes in Turf War for a while first.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lemming posted:

yeah lol if you thought it actually splashed when it hit a wall

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I actually really like the highly limited map rotations because it makes you 100% learn all of the maps

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

<LazyMaybe>maybe the most annoying thing ever
<LazyMaybe>is trying to join a friend
<LazyMaybe>and then they quit
<LazyMaybe>and it puts you in a match anyways
<Beastcurse> yep
<LazyMaybe>30 and you can't back out
<Beastcurse> you just waited 3 minutes
<Beastcurse> they leave
<Beastcurse> you're playing with pubbies
<LazyMaybe>nintendo. please

Oh no, not......... pubbies :ohdear:

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Tonight I'm just doing Turf Wars to level up some gear, and in enough games to level up 2-star gear (8000 required and average of 1000 a match, so around 8 matches) I have not seen less than 4 Aerosprays between the teams. Sometimes there's more.

Nintendo did a good job patching the free cash exploit quickly. I'm hoping that in addition to the new content Splatoon will be supported by balance patches and other fixes, to boost weapons like the Rapid Blaster and do something about the Aerospray situation.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh no, not......... pubbies :ohdear:
I'm 100% fine with playing with randoms but I am not ok with being stuck in a game with no friends, when what I explicitly set out to do was play a game with a friend

the game should not shove you in an unleaveable lobby with randoms, no warning given, if the friend you've trying to join doesn't choose "yeah!" when the another battle prompt comes up

CatsPajamas posted:

Nintendo did a good job patching the free cash exploit quickly. I'm hoping that in addition to the new content Splatoon will be supported by balance patches and other fixes, to boost weapons like the Rapid Blaster and do something about the Aerospray situation.
I don't think the aerospray needs to be nerfed because it's only stronger than other weapons in turf wars which is basically unbalanced nonsense funtime gamemode in general

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've decided the thing I hate the most in ranked is seeing idiots running off to some corner of the map to farm their special. No, that isn't going to help. An ink strike does nothing when they can just clean it up right away. Plus you could build up your special anyways by standing behind a corner and spraying ink onto the point. At least then you're pressuring them to clean it up and maybe assisting the people actually trying to get control of the zone before we all lose.

The only situation I could see that being acceptable is a roller building up to kraken but its never that. Its always someone splattering the ground to get another ineffectual air strike.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 4, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Show me your squids. I want to see what fashion goons are into.

ruff n rowdy squidmonstr

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
That's exactly what I see good rollers do when their team is behind - kraken up

Still nothing is more frustrating than being in a match where you're crushing the other team then one of your guys DCs and a few minutes later it becomes a close loss

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

How do you take screen shots? I wanna show off squid fashion!

Oh, if you can find it, someone grab a screenshot of that Junji Ito-esque comic someone made in miiverse.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 4, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yay spike got me the retro cap, and its got energy saver and two more random bonuses so its an upgrade on my current cap.

Now I sent him off to steal me those funky 90s rainbow shoes.

Saw somebody drew a miiverse inkling turning into a kid animorphs style, love it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

IronicDongz posted:

ruff n rowdy squidmonstr

and you mean to tell me nintendo didn't plan for them to be sexed

Jonas Albrecht posted:

How do you take screen shots? I wanna show off squid fashion!

Oh, if you can find it, someone grab a screenshot of that Junji Ito-esque comic someone made in miiverse.

You hit the home button while seeing whatever you wanna take a pic of then go to postimg and hit upload. It may be easier to post to Miiverse, but it compresses it heavily.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

noirstronaut posted:

Can you stop being a creep please?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

noirstronaut posted:

Uhhh... don't do this.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

noirstronaut posted:

yeah?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

noirstronaut posted:

You should ask Nintendo about that through miiverse nonstop until they respond.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone want to tell me why I keep getting this communication error whenever I try to do multiplayer?

Fenns
Mar 18, 2015

[INSERT TEXT HERE]
I don't currently own this game, yet I'm having Splat Zones withdrawals.

What do?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

bxfenns posted:

I don't currently own this game, yet I'm having Splat Zones withdrawals.

What do?

>Purchase Game.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

As good as no voice chat is, I'd like more options to help coordinate a team. Like pressing a spot on the map you want to focus an attack on, or one of the d-pad options be push or defend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

You know what's really not fun?

Going up against a team with 4 air strikes. They all drop within 30 seconds and then again right before the end. It's stupid.

• Locked thread