Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

I was of the assumption this would occur the further I go into my career.

Lets say you can't come to a consensus and someone says they'll test it themselves.

Is this wrong or remotely offensive?

Obviously the tone and context can make anything sound combative, but I would say no, "I'll test it myself" is not combative in a vacuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
A working proof-of-concept is worth a hundred thousand meetings.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I have a lot of untrue information bouncing around in my head. It's a bit of an ego hit but it's better to find the best solution than to save my self esteem

If everyone is acting in good faith, a disagreement guarantees that someone will learn something new.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Pretty much agree with what has been said so far. I've had this happen to me twice where we don't come to a consensus in the discussion.

First time was selenium plugin vs custom scripted web scraping. Selenium got up and running faster but once my script was actually working all we needed was a for loop and we went from testing 0 websites to ~450 across 3 environments. Selenium they were still trying to figure out how to click on buttons that didn't necessarily exist.

Second time it was me, I said there was no way robocopying 80k files every deployment even though only 4 of them had changed was going to be faster than checking for changes. I wrote some ridiculous script that did file checksums and only copied the new ones or some poo poo, robocopy copied all the files faster than I could check them so even best-case (no changes) it still beat me by ~2 minutes.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

crunk dork posted:

Anyone here ever work for Expedient? Made it through the phone screen and it sounds like an awesome place to get in. In person interview tomorrow.

Yes, in fact, I have. I still know people working there. And the company I work for contracts some of their services.

Edit: wow, lots of people have...

OmniCorp posted:

I never visited Indianapolis when I was there. It was running autonomously under the nFrame name for a while after they acquired it. It's an excellent start for Data Center networking/server/storage/VM. I left after they changed their insurance plan to high deductible and wanted to move on-call to every third week instead of sixth. The have also moved away from the ISP and metro networks business which I enjoyed working on the most. I started in dial-up phone support and was able to move to a Senior Network position in 5 years.

SO... Might as well share my experience.

I worked for an ISP in Chicago. (Actually.. the place where I bought this SA account) It was owned by the same parent company as expedient. My isp was having trouble, so they had expedient start managing us. Shortly thereafter we ran around with the expedient name instead of our old name.

The management at Expedient is really pretty good. I was impressed with their willingness to talk to me about pay, time off, policies, and personal issues. They run an exceedingly tight ship. If you're not used to things like change controls, you're going to be in for a bit of a shock. They like to train their employees, and they are not shy about getting you new skills and responsibilities.

Also, expect to be watched. The facilities were full of cameras, and they check things like badge checkins at doors. They may also have restrictions on drinks/food at your desk. (That was a big problem for Chicago, as we had no break room.)

I don't know if they still do it, but they also ran a very odd, questionably kosher, NOC schedule. 7 days on, 7 days off, 5 days on, 5 days off, with a rotating 12 hour schedule. I quit over that, but we negotiated a new schedule for me, which kept me on staff.

They do run some amazing facilities. The Indy one especially. It's got flywheel based UPSes.

They also (hopefully not anymore) ran some amazingly BAD facilities. While I was working there one of the data centers had several "on the floor" cable runs between cabinets. And unlocked riser cabinets.

I currently work for an ISP that shares space with them at the NeoPark facility. And we have a couple of cable runs that Expedient is involved with, so I get their change control e-mails over maintenance on those links.

All in all, as an employer, you could do a whole heck of a lot worse than Expedient. My biggest beefs with them, were scheduling, seemingly crazy data center walk-through schedules, occasionally crazy requests (Like telling 8 other people I need to go pee. Not that that's the only example.), and low pay. (They didn't consider that chicago was 20% more expensive to live in versus pitbpa)

I left expedient when the chicago operation was bought out by another carrier. I was given some options, but they all involved moving east. Admittedly, I was looking for a new job anyway.

And because it's fun. Here's a picture from the roof of Expedients former chicago facility.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 4, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nerobro posted:

They also (hopefully not anymore) ran some amazingly BAD facilities. While I was working there one of the data centers had several "on the floor" cable runs between cabinets. And unlocked riser cabinets.

I do know (at least from what they've said from an outside perspective) they've been dumping a ton of money into their infrastructure as far as upgrading facilities go, so hopefully that stuff is gone now.

Since pretty much every position in my 15 year career has had interaction with Expedient in one way or another, it's been interesting to see the evolution of their local facilities. In the early days, I remember the room full of glorified car batteries for the UPS system and older generators. Now they have some big impressive Liebert systems and they just replaced both the gennies for two new cat generators along with adding a tertiary backup in an outbuilding with its own fuel supply. They're slated to add biometric access controls for the floor here in the next year after adding them to the other facility in the area that they took over from a failed ISP. I can certainly see form an outside perspective how access control and security has increased and been standardized over the past decade or so.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have a call center running off Asterisk, FreePBX, or some derivative like PBX in a Flash? I want to create a separate phone system with a handful of phones and get acquainted with SIP trunking and start testing to see if it is worth migrating from our T1s (we just had a 16-hour PRI outage on Memorial day weekend).

I also got a Peplink Balance 710 running on our network and it is fantastic. I'm using it to combine two different ISPs together for double the bandwidth and more fault tolerance. I'd love if anyone knows if there's a way to leverage the dual-ISP setup to help calls survive if one of the ISPs is affected.

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

Nerobro posted:

I worked for an ISP in Chicago.

Wow. I handled a bit of that remotely. Were you involved in the Rick James server or the Jim McMahon T1, or the wireless in Naperville? My former NOC desk before it was moved out of the DC and into the office part. The bad facilities were sold off a while ago. I remember the floor cabling.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Tab8715 posted:

Question for the thread,

Does anyone have general rules of thumb when it comes to disagreements among peers? Yes, this is vague but I'm leaving it as such and I'm a little curious as to everyone's thoughts.

Assuming this is a technical disagreement, you either vote democratically on the best solution, or you can hash it out, or you can defer to seniority / rank. But you have to make a clear decision to avoid letting the disagreement go unresolved.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also have a read of this first: http://blog.capwatkins.com/the-sliding-scale-of-giving-a-gently caress

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

EDIT: Wait sorry I hate a different article about giving a gently caress.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Problem with that approach - what if someone really cares and is still really wrong? The two are often related.

I don't care what we use for usernames, just pick something and then use it. I'm a 1/10.
All of our user names should be their social security numbers, I'm at about a 9/10 on this.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I haven't read this before, but I'm a fan of this concept.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

OmniCorp posted:

Wow. I handled a bit of that remotely. Were you involved in the Rick James server or the Jim McMahon T1, or the wireless in Naperville? My former NOC desk before it was moved out of the DC and into the office part. The bad facilities were sold off a while ago. I remember the floor cabling.

Yes. Yes. And yes. Are you still on AIM, I'll hop on my expedient AIM name in a minute here. Or toss me an e-mail or something. Do you remember the ceiling cat-ish page on the wiki? Or "how to check the weather in chicago" page? I was so annoyed when they drywalled off those windows.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Zero VGS posted:

Does anyone have a call center running off Asterisk, FreePBX, or some derivative like PBX in a Flash? I want to create a separate phone system with a handful of phones and get acquainted with SIP trunking and start testing to see if it is worth migrating from our T1s (we just had a 16-hour PRI outage on Memorial day weekend).

I also got a Peplink Balance 710 running on our network and it is fantastic. I'm using it to combine two different ISPs together for double the bandwidth and more fault tolerance. I'd love if anyone knows if there's a way to leverage the dual-ISP setup to help calls survive if one of the ISPs is affected.

I've setup several smallish call centers (20-50 users) with Asterisk and Switchvox. Asterisk does a lot, and it's sort of an enticing little project, so you can get all sorts of crazy features, but really you need to make it as simple as possible, and have all your features/goals clearly written out. These things can get out of control. Do you have any specific questions I can answer?

I setup a system for a market data company where my boss/salesman said "Asterisk can do anything, just tell Jony Ives and he'll figure it out." The customer came back with a convoluted system that made sense only on paper, and it kept evolving as I configured. I spent days tweaking and fine tuning it, until finally they just stopped calling for changes. What it did was this:

1) Customer calls into the NOC, if during hours it goes to the call queue, after hours, it plays them a message, asks them to leave a message with their number and and an explanation of the issue and then assures them they will be called back, then it hangs up
2) The system hits a weighted list of on call techs cell phones, each tech has a weight, and it calls them in order
3) When the tech is called, he has to answer his phone, and the system plays them a message that tells them there's a call, and requests they press 1 to answer or 2 to hang up and ignore it.
3a) If they don't answer, press 2, or press nothing, it goes to the next tech in the list and emails their manager that they missed an emergency call
3b) The next tech gets the call, and so on. If no one answers, it starts up a call list of managers, and so on.
4) When a tech answers, and presses 1, they hear the message, and then if they press 1, it will dial the CID of the caller of the message, but they can also press 2 and then entire a different number.
5) Once a tech validates he's answered it, it stops calling people

With asterisk, that's pretty easy to configure, but they wanted something crazy where the call would get put on hold, and then they'd have to input a bunch of data using touchtones, and then it'd mass call the on call cellphones all at once, and a bunch of nonsense, but it kept changing each day, since they didn't have any plan in place when it was sold.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Problem with that approach - what if someone really cares and is still really wrong? The two are often related.

I don't care what we use for usernames, just pick something and then use it. I'm a 1/10.
All of our user names should be their social security numbers, I'm at about a 9/10 on this.

I'm like a 9/10 when it comes to "Try not to commit any crimes"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh no doubt, I think it's more aimed at getting the reader to consider their own position on things, not getting others to step down. But that means that half of your potential arguments can be avoided entirely if you decide that you don't give enough of a gently caress to have the argument in the first place.

And hey, if you constantly have to defend yourself against people who are really wrong and also really pushy then you can probably settle those disagreements with an actual fight or manslaughter, because the workplace is likely to be toxic beyond the point of rescue.

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

Never got to visit the Chicago DC. You can email at omnicorp.sa@gmail.com. Tried signing into my old EXPTAC aim, but it's probably been purged. I should post the inforamp psycho author... I might have more.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

OmniCorp posted:

Never got to visit the Chicago DC. You can email at omnicorp.sa@gmail.com. Tried signing into my old EXPTAC aim, but it's probably been purged. I should post the inforamp psycho author... I might have more.

Only four people (five maybe?) visited Chicago. And nobody from Chicago went east. I've had the pleasure of going to Akron with my current company.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I once worked with a guy who was either a 0/10 or a 10/10 on everything. I never thought to put this concept on a sliding scale like that, but I once asked him if he'd ever thought about picking his battles a bit more, since I thought he would have more success arguing the more important issues with management if he did. He responded with "Either it's worth fighting for or it isn't, and if it is worth fighting for then I'm going to give it my all." He was really high strung all of the time to say the least.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

J posted:

I once worked with a guy who was either a 0/10 or a 10/10 on everything. I never thought to put this concept on a sliding scale like that, but I once asked him if he'd ever thought about picking his battles a bit more, since I thought he would have more success arguing the more important issues with management if he did. He responded with "Either it's worth fighting for or it isn't, and if it is worth fighting for then I'm going to give it my all." He was really high strung all of the time to say the least.

When ever I hear about somebody dying at 53, I imagine this is what they lived like.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Well after a week of mandatory vacation due to a government funding loving up I've been told I get to go work at a different nearby organization for the next two and a half weeks until the funding comes back. Hooray government contracting :v:

On the other hand, I did hear someone from Daylen Drazzi's exchange team is moving to my organization so at least someone is getting out of there!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

For the Networking folks, what's the general use case for Site-to-Site VPNs?

What can and can't I run on a VPN. When would you start to look into a MPLS?

I'm reading that it's difficult to have consistently low latency over the VPN and I'm correct in the impression anything SQL or VoIP heavy won't run well.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
We run active active datacenters with SQL replication over site to site VPNs but I'm also not a networking guy so I don't know that this makes my network guy stupid.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

For the Networking folks, what's the general use case for Site-to-Site VPNs?

What can and can't I run on a VPN. When would you start to look into a MPLS?

I'm reading that it's difficult to have consistently low latency over the VPN and I'm correct in the impression anything SQL or VoIP heavy won't run well.

We use site to site some of our smaller offices like 10ish people our latency is typically 50-80ish which is workable. As long as you aren't doing anything crazy over it it'll be fine. Honestly VOIP works better over VPN sometimes then it does over MPLS(gently caress YOU TIME WARNER)

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

On the other hand, I did hear someone from Daylen Drazzi's exchange team is moving to my organization so at least someone is getting out of there!

Nice! I always like it when one of my team members manages to get out and save themselves. I'll be honest - I didn't really ever want to learn Exchange, and I most definitely did not feel like working weekends and swapping every 3 months between 1st and 3rd shift, but I was desperate for the cash. I've got 2 more weeks of this poo poo before I move to Virtualization, and frankly it can't come a moment too soon.

Now, I must admit I've learned a few things on the Exchange team, but since weekend is only about putting out fires we were discouraged from trying to work regular tickets - the communication gap is just too big, since I only work Tuesday and Wednesday during the week, and it would invariably result in some passive-aggressive poo poo from the customer. Now I only work high priority tickets along the lines of "Set up Good Mobile account" or "Recover this person's email who is under investigation and email the Special Agent the PST file." I don't mind staring at the screen for 5-6 hours while I watch databases restore. It's actually calming and soothing in a way.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So I've been at this job for about 4 weeks now. I'm loving this drat place. My boss even is awesome.

My bosses boss goes through open tickets, closed tickets, etc. My bosses boss reopened a ticket I had closed because it was filed too early, I explain why, and still get a bit of pushback (nothing rude at least!) My boss goes to bat for me in a meeting between the two and I'm allowed to close it

:toot:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
:nms: 30 year old industrial software and old lotus notes server

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've got two interviews for different IT groups at the same company next week. I might get to be a DevOps.

Come on :yotj:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Methanar posted:

:nms: 30 year old industrial software and old lotus notes server

If I am not mistaken Lotus has the most messaging server deployments but unless your in APAC you won't get to see it.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Nice! I always like it when one of my team members manages to get out and save themselves. I'll be honest - I didn't really ever want to learn Exchange, and I most definitely did not feel like working weekends and swapping every 3 months between 1st and 3rd shift, but I was desperate for the cash. I've got 2 more weeks of this poo poo before I move to Virtualization, and frankly it can't come a moment too soon.

Now, I must admit I've learned a few things on the Exchange team, but since weekend is only about putting out fires we were discouraged from trying to work regular tickets - the communication gap is just too big, since I only work Tuesday and Wednesday during the week, and it would invariably result in some passive-aggressive poo poo from the customer. Now I only work high priority tickets along the lines of "Set up Good Mobile account" or "Recover this person's email who is under investigation and email the Special Agent the PST file." I don't mind staring at the screen for 5-6 hours while I watch databases restore. It's actually calming and soothing in a way.

Wait is this virtualization position still at Wright Patt?

They mentioned the guy was into board games...

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Wait is this virtualization position still at Wright Patt?

They mentioned the guy was into board games...

Hmm, now I'm going to have to find out who that is - no one comes to mind readily, and we've lost some people already and I think 1-2 more have either indicated they are leaving now. Time to do some sleuthing. Like Messaging the Virtualization position is supposed to go away once the ENSA contract ends. Here's an excerpt I have from our PM about the whole mess now:

"...there will be a messaging presence at Wright-Patt and Scott until the NGES contract is in place. For those of you that don't know about NGES it is the contract to move messaging to "The Cloud" It is supposed to be awarded 19 Jun, however I anticipate it will be a couple of years until it is actually in place.
IAFNOS is the follow-on contract to ENSA. This is the contract that was moving messaging to Peterson and to Langley. This is the one where they are now changing their mind and will have a presence here and at Scott still. Again, until NGES is in place.
You also heard him mention they are working a bridge and/or extension for ENSA. They are doing this because they aren't expecting the IAFNOS contract to get awarded on time or expecting it to get protested/delayed. Again, history has shown this is what will happen.
We all know that the decision to keep a messaging presence here and at Scott makes sense. For those of you who have worked contracts before you also know that it is rare for a contract to be awarded on time and without protest so an extension to ENSA is very likely."

So as long as ENSA exists I will still have a position - I was only anticipating it lasting until November 30th at the latest, but it looks like I may have 1 to possibly 2 years now instead of 5 months. My timing on this one was pretty drat near perfect.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've got two interviews for different IT groups at the same company next week. I might get to be a DevOps.

When you are devops you are truly living in the cloud where it is an internet of things.

On a related note, I went to ansiblefest yeterday in NYC and had fun, heard some good talks, and got overloaded with swag. I ended up taking home a book, pint glass, stickers, travel mug, phone charger, t-shirt, water bottle holder and a stress reliever thing shaped like a bull. My ticket gets to be expensed by the company so its a win-win.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

join us! join us!

But seriously, good luck! :yotj:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
So I have an email problem and I don't know where to post it and its massively demoralized me. My company has their own onsite email and like 3 days ago we ran into a problem where we cannot send mail to on specific domain, but we can receive from them. Everyone else and send and receive to the domain in question. The error we receive when we try to send to the other guys is 550 unknown user. All blacklists are fine. Our own SMTP DNS seems fine, we tried hard coding the destination with a hosts file, doing an nslookup for the domain in question appropriately points us to the correct MX records.

Speaking to the admins of the other domain they are saying that the problem is on our end. Which makes absolutely no sense to me because our error codes are coming from their servers. We are reaching them but their servers can't find the correct users and bounce the mail back.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Methanar posted:

So I have an email problem and I don't know where to post it and its massively demoralized me. My company has their own onsite email and like 3 days ago we ran into a problem where we cannot send mail to on specific domain, but we can receive from them. Everyone else and send and receive to the domain in question. The error we receive when we try to send to the other guys is 550 unknown user. All blacklists are fine. Our own SMTP DNS seems fine, we tried hard coding the destination with a hosts file, doing an nslookup for the domain in question appropriately points us to the correct MX records.

Speaking to the admins of the other domain they are saying that the problem is on our end. Which makes absolutely no sense to me because our error codes are coming from their servers. We are reaching them but their servers can't find the correct users and bounce the mail back.

Some outgoing mail servers require your spf records to include your domain and IP address of the server. Try this:

http://mxtoolbox.com/

to make sure everything looks good on the MX and associated records in public DNS.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'm not too sure about this I believe many mail servers require SPF records before accepting anything for security reasons.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Running that in my own domain and the recipient domain was the first thing I did. No blacklists. MX records are correct. Ptr and SPF are present etc.

Its rediculous how I'm being treated as the authority on so many matters. My boss refers me to this type of thing because he believes I have a better chance of fixing it than him when I have zero qualifications or experience. This job was supposed to be t1 troubleshooting and installing printers and began with a week of garbage picking.

Every time I can't fix something immediately I feel like I'm letting everyone down and preventing them from doing their jobs. Bring paid 50% more than I ever have stresses the hell out of me too because I feel like I'm not earning the crazy ( to me ) amount of money.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Call IBM Support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Methanar posted:

Running that in my own domain and the recipient domain was the first thing I did. No blacklists. MX records are correct. Ptr and SPF are present etc.

Its rediculous how I'm being treated as the authority on so many matters. My boss refers me to this type of thing because he believes I have a better chance of fixing it than him when I have zero qualifications or experience. This job was supposed to be t1 troubleshooting and installing printers and began with a week of garbage picking.

Every time I can't fix something immediately I feel like I'm letting everyone down and preventing them from doing their jobs. Bring paid 50% more than I ever have stresses the hell out of me too because I feel like I'm not earning the crazy ( to me ) amount of money.

Were you able to find many similar issues when looking up the specific smtp error?