Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ahh yea I remember that article now. I wonder if win10 + increased number of CPU driven PCIe lanes will help out with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Intel, over the last twenty years, has murdered POWER, MIPS, SPARC, ALPHA, etc. in the high-margin low-volume server space because they've had a lead in fab process. They can justify the huge expense of new fabs by using that fab for large quantities of commodity silicon in low-margin desktops, laptops, etc. If TSMC/GF/Samsung/whoever can capture a significant fraction of the high-volume market they have, Intel loses that advantage. What happens when ARM manufacturers start using that design expertise they've obtained from shipping billions of units and a competitive process to push into the higher-margin spaces?

Also, while there's no question that Intel is dominant now, there are a significant number of people in the hyperscale and HPC spaces who are uncomfortable with a monopoly supplier; see for example Google's work with POWER8.

Twerk from Home posted:

I should have just used 4ghz and 16ghz, I meant I'd rather have all the cycles on one core rather than across several. Also, all my thoughts have been purely from the software end and ignoring chip design itself, I know absolutely nothing about it.

Ignoring the thermal impossibility, there are some real downsides to higher clock rates. Context switches between threads are expensive as hell, especially if the code isn't already in another register bank. You spend a lot more clock cycles waiting for data on/off chip. For higher clock rates you need fewer transistors per stage, which means simpler stages, which means long-rear end pipelines, which means you lose many steps when you have a branch mis-prediction or other mis-optimization. Etc.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

PCjr sidecar posted:

Intel, over the last twenty years, has murdered POWER, MIPS, SPARC, ALPHA, etc. in the high-margin low-volume server space because they've had a lead in fab process. They can justify the huge expense of new fabs by using that fab for large quantities of commodity silicon in low-margin desktops, laptops, etc. If TSMC/GF/Samsung/whoever can capture a significant fraction of the high-volume market they have, Intel loses that advantage. What happens when ARM manufacturers start using that design expertise they've obtained from shipping billions of units and a competitive process to push into the higher-margin spaces?

I dunno, what does happen? Is Samsung just that much better at designing CPUs than Intel (Somehow I doubt this) / is Arm such an inherently superior architecture that if they owned Intel's 14 and 10nm fabs suddenly we'd have a new multi-generational leap forward in performance? Nothing out there benchmark wise seems to indicate that, but people repeat stuff like what you've just said all the time.

So what's the big upside to either the server market or desktop market for an ARM or POWER design made on something like Intel's 14nm process? I look at a review like this one: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8357/exploring-the-low-end-and-micro-server-platforms/17 and see that for scaleout type workloads it ends up with low power 22nm Haswell Xeons still beating out Intel's own ultra low power Atom scaleout platform in terms of absolute performance and performance per watt (When both chips are on the same process tech, too).
The arm chip tested here was still on a 40nm process so it's no surprise at all that it gets clowned all over in power use terms by the Atom that it's competing against, but on the other hand it did match the atom's performance almost exactly. So assuming it's built on the same process power usage should come in line as well.

So does it just boil down to "ARM at process parity will provide actual performance competition and be a better market driver of chip price and performance across the board?"
That's certainly been the case for Atom, since Intel let Atom sit on an ancient dogshit performance core and process for something like 6+ years while arm partner chips filled in all the billions of tablets/phones/chromebooks/whatever content consumption devices that have been sold since 2007.

On the other hand, what does an arm competitor to a real Xeon in the server market even look like? People like that their existing chips are cheap and (when on current processes) low power, but their performance/watt obviously isn't anywhere near current Xeons, and to get there would they end up needing a similar ballpark number of transistors?
Obviously a totally different chip, but you can certainly see Power8 competing in raw performance with the latest Xeon E7, but at the cost of much higher TDP (over 200w for the highest core count/frequency models), and that's on 22nm SoI vs intel's 22nm finfet process.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

PCjr sidecar posted:

What happens when ARM manufacturers start using that design expertise they've obtained from shipping billions of units and a competitive process to push into the higher-margin spaces?

Also, while there's no question that Intel is dominant now, there are a significant number of people in the hyperscale and HPC spaces who are uncomfortable with a monopoly supplier; see for example Google's work with POWER8.

re: question #1, see ARM comments here http://www.realworldtech.com/compute-efficiency-2012/3/ and here http://www.realworldtech.com/microservers/4/

HPC would certainly welcome a competitor to Intel. The government abhors a monoculture in vendors or architectures. But right now if you want to get to exascale, designs are focused around heterogeneous machines using GPUs or Intel MIC designs, not just adding more/different CPUs (or ARM chips, at all). POWER9 actually did win some DoE contracts: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8727/nvidia-ibm-supercomputers , but if you break out the flops it's mostly due to NVidia. There is going to be a lot of time and money pored into porting some popular DoE/DoD codes to GPUs.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Wulfolme posted:

Has there been any reason for Thunderbolt to become popular that has legs? All I've seen for it are monitor hookups for big Macs and serious business peripherals that have firewire, usb 3 or straight up pci-e connected models available as well.
Docks? That's pretty much the closest to a mass market thing I can think of (lots of people with laptops) but that still depends on the idea that people hook up to desktop setups to begin with, and that part might be a sketchy proposition. The big things about TB3 for it are the power, bandwidth, and GPU support (and more standard form factor w/support for standard USB-C cables). Gets the cabling down to one, ample bandwidth for a bunch of crap/bigger screens, and GPU support might be appealing for higher end users (whether games or more serious uses). Still niche, but hopefully a lot less niche than it is now.

Gwaihir posted:

Ahh yea I remember that article now. I wonder if win10 + increased number of CPU driven PCIe lanes will help out with that.
Newer article from the recent news:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9331/intel-announces-thunderbolt-3

...not sure it mentions anything new with regard to Windows support in general, but the part about Windows networking support and general talk about hot plug GPU support makes me hopeful there. Otherwise generally answers a bunch of questions about TB3, particularly as far as pushing for adoption Alpine Ridge will also double as one of the first 10Gbps USB 3.1 controllers available (aka 3.1 gen 2, SuperSpeed+, or "Extreme USB 3.1"? :suicide:).

And now for a completely unrelated question. I was looking at the Lewisburg PCH and saw the 20 or so PCIe 3.0 lanes on it along with a bunch of other ports, how's that all work with the DMI connection in terms of bandwidth (since that itself appears to be something like an x4 connection)? Is it all just dynamically managed with use and crammed to fit as needed or is there some other magic to make it work?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Maybe its just me but does all consumer UEFI look the same? Like they took the intel code and slapped their own superficial winamp skin on it?

Does anyone do it more 'elegantly'? Dell enterprise hardware?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Supposedly some stuff can still be processed natively for speed but yea most everything else is 'cracked' into micro-ops over several cycles or more (in some case hundreds or thousands of cycles for 'legacy' instructions that are seldom used) of some sort to run on the 'back end' which actually does all the computational work.

This is not really true any more.

Sure, there's still a decoder that emits something you can call micro-ops. Yes, there's some instructions which might require actual microcode programs running a loop that takes hundreds of cycles (and they're not even "legacy" btw). However, AFAIK (Jawn, speak up if you know better), for modern Intel cores the normal case is 1 uop per x86 instruction. And sometimes they actually go the other direction by fusing two x86 instructions together into a single uop.

The "cracking" that was done on older cores (e.g. the Pentium II era) was mostly about letting the backend handle memory accesses as separate operations rather than linking them to computation. At the time, that was a substantial win, but today, not so much, so there's much less cracking going on.

One important theme that's been playing out over the last 10+ years is that high end CPU design has become steadily more dominated by power efficiency. Today, if you want to go fast, you have to design the most power efficient circuit possible, because you're really limited by how much computation you can do inside a fixed thermal budget. That's relevant to the question of 'to crack? Or not to crack?' because when you crack everything in sight, the out-of-order backend has to juggle a lot more uops in flight, and that is a Hard Problem whose solutions tend to involve lots of transistors and power. Thus, cracking is not as much a thing as it used to be.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Maybe its just me but does all consumer UEFI look the same? Like they took the intel code and slapped their own superficial winamp skin on it?

Not from my experience (Poweredge 720), just a slow rear end wrapper around a boring but nominally functional bios and related crap. Slow boots and occasional whole system refusing to post if you may too many configuration changes at once.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Aquila posted:

Not from my experience (Poweredge 720), just a slow rear end wrapper around a boring but nominally functional bios and related crap. Slow boots and occasional whole system refusing to post if you may too many configuration changes at once.

IMO, Dell's 15 year old (early 2000s) 'blue' expanding tree style BIOS UI was more useable than any of the cookie cutter winamp skin 'gamer' UEFI these days.

Look at the non eye burning color scheme. Look at all the relevant info you get in a concise layout. No drop downs. No superfluous information pollution from related settings. No big rear end spreadsheet presentations. Even supports simple graphics like live bar graphs.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 4, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm a pretty decent fan of the (lovely, limited) BIOS that laptops ship with. It's all very no frills and relevant, even if the actual options to make changes are limited.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

BobHoward posted:

This is not really true any more.
If I'm reading this right it sure looks like things haven't changed much fundamentally and the 'front' vs 'back end' metaphor still works pretty well even with a very modern x86 chip that can do uop fusion and has a trace cache. Sometimes you can get a 1:1 uop vs x86 instruction ratio but sometimes you still see multiple uops even with new instructions. Seems to be all over the place really.

Scare quotes were around legacy because yes you're right they're technically not really legacy but some things so rarely used its quibbling at this point.

BobHoward posted:

Thus, cracking is not as much a thing as it used to be.
I think this is more because Intel found away to address that issue. The uop trace cache (aka L0) sure seems to be great from a power perspective yet still gives really good performance. I think Kanter said SB's trace cache had something silly like a 80% hit rate. Dunno what Haswell or IB's was but surely Intel made improvements there since then.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If I'm reading this right it sure looks like things haven't changed much fundamentally and the 'front' vs 'back end' metaphor still works pretty well even with a very modern x86 chip that can do uop fusion and has a trace cache. Sometimes you can get a 1:1 uop vs x86 instruction ratio but sometimes you still see multiple uops even with new instructions. Seems to be all over the place really.

I don't think there is going to be a better solution than the current method of profiling applications, determining what they do most, optimizing that or introducing instructions that optimize certain actions and seeing what sticks.

The lag between instruction availability, compiler support, application support, and instruction universality (eg: >80% of currently in use CPU's have it) is so huge that it's always going to be hard to predict what will actually turn out to be useful by the time it's actually generally usable.

We typically have cycles where different areas get focus (hardware, compiler, language) for a bit, but even then it's hard to say where we currently are, only to look back and see where we were and try to go on from there.

It's fun to watch, because there is real innovation happening all the time by some very smart people (and groups of people). The whole drive toward multithread/multiprocess as we ran into Ghz scaling limits was really interesting, and we are still seeing the results. :)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
as much as i'd like arm cores to kill off intel and usher in competition, it's not really happening except in niche areas, and it's not like high performance cores are all that fundamentally different (no one's doing an async design) with cyclone+ looking like big intel cores and atom looking like small arm cores

uarch is pretty irrelevant to whether i can make money with software, so it's basically a price/perf game

parallelizing code that isn't embarrassingly parallelizable is trick, and in the worst case requires a near total rewrite like servo's engine

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How much penalty is there on a multi CPU system with PCIe SSDs? The current crop of NVMe SSDs are advertising all the benefits of being connected -directly- to the CPU via PCIe but in a multi socket system all the PCIe devices have to go through another chip right?

edit: oh wait. Looks like some of the PCIe slots in a multi CPU system are connected to CPU0 and some are connected to CPU1.

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04400043

code:
Slot 1: PCIe Gen3 x4
Slot 2: PCIe Gen3 x16
Slot 3: PCIe Gen3 x8 - Available ONLY when 2nd processor is installed
Slot 4: PCIe Gen3 x16 - Available ONLY when 2nd processor is installed
Slot 5: PCIe Gen2 x4 when 1 CPU is installed. Transforms to PCIe Gen3 x8 when 2nd CPU is installed
Slot 6: PCIe Gen3 x16
Slot 7: PCIe Gen2 x1

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 5, 2015

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

They're all mostly based on reference drops from AMI, Phoenix, InsydeH20, etc. They do all share core black box code from Intel (MRC and other SEC code), and any other blackboxes for iGPU or ME. There is TianoCore and the EDK which provide a core set of EFI functionality that folks can base their code on.

Skins are all the vendor's fault though :v:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm seriously considering picking up a PCIe SSD to put in that almost-impossible-to-use PCIe slot above the main x16 slot, but I'm pretty certain I'd have to drop my 970 into x8 mode since it's a Z68 board. If anything, I'll be able to grandfather it to my next system.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
No NVMe support on Z68 either :(

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Gwaihir posted:

No NVMe support on Z68 either :(

Oh, I know it'd just be a glorified storage drive until I got my hands on a new board with a new build. I'd want to use it for MMOs and other stuff that benefits from exceptionally fast seek times and transfer speeds.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 5, 2015

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm seriously considering picking up a PCIe SSD to put in that almost-impossible-to-use PCIe slot above the main x16 slot, but I'm pretty certain I'd have to drop my 970 into x8 mode since it's a Z68 board. If anything, I'll be able to grandfather it to my next system.
Dropping into x8 would have minimal impact on your graphics card performance, so don't let that be a factor.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
https://pcdiy.asus.com/2015/04/asus-nvme-support-poll-voice-your-opinion/ I found a thing! It still doesn't help out Z68 havers, though.

http://strawpoll.me/4124030

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Shaocaholica posted:

IMO, Dell's 15 year old (early 2000s) 'blue' expanding tree style BIOS UI was more useable than any of the cookie cutter winamp skin 'gamer' UEFI these days.

Look at the non eye burning color scheme. Look at all the relevant info you get in a concise layout. No drop downs. No superfluous information pollution from related settings. No big rear end spreadsheet presentations. Even supports simple graphics like live bar graphs.

Yeah, the Dell BIOSes tend to be pretty drat nice. Simple, and each option there is explained.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Historical question time!

Did the Core '1' Duo share chipset and socket with (early) Core 2 Duo? Would a 32bit Core '1' Duo drop into a Core 2 Duo system and work fine? Of course in 32bit only.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 5, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Historical question time!

Did the Core '1' Duo share chipset and socket with (early) Core 2 Duo? Would a 32bit Core '1' Duo drop into a Core 2 Duo system and work fine? Of course in 32bit only.
I had a Core 1 Solo (remember those?) Mac mini and dropped in a C2D way back, but no clue about going the other way around.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

japtor posted:

I had a Core 1 Solo (remember those?) Mac mini and dropped in a C2D way back, but no clue about going the other way around.

Same difference. Thanks!

This helped too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_M

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
The first-generation core 2 duo Meroms shared a socket (socket M) with the core 1 Yonah chips, but after the first generation they switched to socket P - that's why swapping it into an early Intel mac worked. Also earlier Pentium M CPUs were not compatible with the chipsets used by the Core CPUs even though they shared the same socket. The chipsets used were variants of the 945 and 965 chipsets, but they were largely incompatible with most C2D CPUs since the socket is different for later models. Unless the C2D system specifically supports the original Core series and has socket M I'm not sure it'll allow a drop-in replacement like that. If you're trying to find a new chip for a socket P laptop then you should look for something sharing the same FSB as the original part.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I was just more curious about why the Dell spec sheet for the Precision M65 laptop only mentions C2D options but on ebay you can find them with C1D procs.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Dell will BTO anything for a large enough quantity. I'm 100% sure they're government refurbs as they tend to ask for unique variants.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Shaocaholica posted:

I was just more curious about why the Dell spec sheet for the Precision M65 laptop only mentions C2D options but on ebay you can find them with C1D procs.
According to the specs sheet they support up to the T7600 which was a socket M Merom, so assuming it's supported in BIOS you can probably stuff a C1D in it. Dell laptops from the core duo/core2 era are pretty flexible regarding parts swaps. Later C2D Meroms like the T7300 wouldn't work though as they switched sockets.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Biostar showed their gaming Z170 motherboard. Not that anyone here would probably using Biostar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBJnX-d-1T8

2 PCI slots?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm toying with the idea of doing a "lite" version of this: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Multi-headed-VMWare-Gaming-Setup-564/

At Microcenter I can get a 5820k, ASRock X99 board, and 32GB of DDR4-2400 for $700-ish. I was planning to replace my wife's Phenom II 965 with Skylake later this year, but now I'm considering consolidating both of our machines into a single box, putting both our GPUs into it, and having a single box be our gaming / general use desktops. Is this an insane idea?

In my harebrained plan, we get effectively 2 desktops, with the option to shut down one and allocate all resources to the other if wanted.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
That is really interesting. I would pass though because it seems there was more than a bit of setup headache involved, and it is locked into amd video cards. You are also instituting single points of failure for both your 'rigs.' Lose one power supply, both desktops are down. I guess the other side of that coin is less power use.

At this point in life I just want my home pc to be the easiest setup possible, but if you like to tinker, good luck!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

JacksAngryBiome posted:

That is really interesting. I would pass though because it seems there was more than a bit of setup headache involved, and it is locked into amd video cards. You are also instituting single points of failure for both your 'rigs.' Lose one power supply, both desktops are down. I guess the other side of that coin is less power use.

It's uses less power, and space, and is more of a proof of concept for LAN cafes or large families. Or people with multi monitor setups splitting up the monitors for friends and setting up other boxes? Since everything is already virtualized, I guess you can have some sort of NAS to do snapshots for you and reload whenever things go wrong. As for point of failure, yes it's a much bigger risk putting your eggs in one basket but higher end hardware tends to be more reliable

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

Biostar showed their gaming Z170 motherboard. Not that anyone here would probably using Biostar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBJnX-d-1T8

2 PCI slots?

So i can use a IDE pci card for my mad clocks

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I really want that so I can have a rock-solid Linux host for real things and a high-powered gaming Windows client for, uh, gaming.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
It kind of depends on how far your endpoints are from each other and how easy you can run cable in your house.
Network cable is hidden away now but i really don't feel like breaking open the walls and ceilings to run USB + HDMI/Displayport to another floor. Though longer might work your endpoints really need to be within 5 meters of each other for it to work properly.

For reliability you should buy server class hardware with redundant power supplies and also buy 2 of everything and configure Vmotion (don't forget to buy your Vcenter license, oh and a SAN for shared storage, probably new managed switches so you can seperate iscsi traffic into its own vlan). It will be just like a real VDI project (doesn't save any money, makes things more complex).

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Some in the thread have asked before about a quick overview of semiconductor manufacturing. Intel's website has a good powerpoint that illustrates a high level overview.
http://download.intel.com/newsroom/kits/chipmaking/pdfs/Sand-to-Silicon_22nm-Version.pdf

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
It's amazing to see something like "foils" persist as long as it has, much less actually making it out into something public facing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I cringe every time someone says foils here.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I cringe every time someone says foils here.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Do people still say "iMBO" and rathole?