Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hmm this is strange...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWne45jWXcM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK_YJeeFDYU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
I'm lvl 23, but I missed out on a couple of Alchemy formulae, including golden oriole, some oils, etc...
I can only seem to find enhanced and superior versions now . Where can I find the low-level ones?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Jack2142 posted:

Pretty much Geralt is essentially a bad rear end genetically engineered super soldier like Master Chief... except instead of saving the world single handedly he mostly just muddles through just trying to do what he thinks is right and things sort themselves out in the end while people more powerful than him call the shots.

Although in my head cannon Dandelion becomes famous in later years writing history/tales and includes Geralt in alot of them making him a legendary figure in the worlds history/mythology.

Minor novels spoiler the novels have small excerpts of a work written 200+ years later in the Witcher timeline that treats the events of Geralt and pals as myth, so that's a pretty reasonable head canon!

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

"Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little."
College Slice

"My...what a freak"

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.
Mssing miners patch. What a joke. Bet it in 5 minutes. Oh well can only pray there will be more epic poo poo to come.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

SkyEnzo posted:

Mssing miners patch. What a joke. Bet it in 5 minutes. Oh well can only pray there will be more epic poo poo to come.

I'm guessing that the "16 free DLC!" thing is a) the result of some contractual marketing bullshit with WB games and b) mostly or entirely stuff that wasn't quite ready to go when the game got certified.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Novigrad's boxing champion is Durden the Tailor :v:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

They're less expansions and more a trickle of stuff that might include quests if we're lucky.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Arglebargle III posted:

This quest with Craven and Morkenvald is the weirdest episode of CSI ever.

It's bigger than that thematically. A big theme of the series is that Geralt (and the player) are on the periphery of history. The world is full of agents, many of them more powerful than Geralt, like Emhyr or Philippa who are going to act regardless of what the PC does. Staying "above" politics does nothing but make you feel good. Doing nothing is a choice; it lets the other agents in the world shape the future. All you can do is try to do the right thing as you see it, and the world shakes out how it does.

For all that Geralt is a bit of a Mary Sue the writing consistently subverts him as power fantasy protagonist.

One of my favorite aspects is how throughout the game, you can never convince Dijkstra to change his mind about anything. There are a couple clear situations where normally it's like you could convince him with the right dialogue choices or by choosing the right option in an earlier sidequest, but with him there's nothing you can do. He's not gonna send help to Kaer Morhen and he's not gonna let Phillipa in on the assassination plot.

And that's why there isn't even an option to tell him that Dandelion is behind the heist, because Geralt knows that Dijkstra would go after him and there would be no stopping him. You would either have to then hide Dandelion, which would be nigh impossible, or kill Dijkstra, who is your one ally among of the Novigrad crime bosses. And if you kill him, why bother telling him in the first place. There is no situation in which telling him the truth makes sense, so they just don't give you the option.

Come to think of it, Emyhr is the same way. He'll take the time to explain things to you, but some random witcher isn't going to help guide the decisions of a goddamn emperor. I suppose it's telling that making Geralt JUST an unstoppable death machine and NOT also the world's most influential and charismatic man is a step up in RPG writing.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
Played through the Battle of Kaer Morhen. A witcher never dies in bed. :cry:

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.

Cephalocidal posted:

I'm guessing that the "16 free DLC!" thing is a) the result of some contractual marketing bullshit with WB games and b) mostly or entirely stuff that wasn't quite ready to go when the game got certified.

Yeah Im wanting to see more lvl 30+ content and Ill be happy.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

I dunno why people keep complaining about the free DLC, it's all stuff that they obviously couldn't finish in time or fit in cohesively. Any other game and we'd never even see this stuff outside of leftover unused assets.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Turds in magma posted:

I'm lvl 23, but I missed out on a couple of Alchemy formulae, including golden oriole, some oils, etc...
I can only seem to find enhanced and superior versions now . Where can I find the low-level ones?

I'm getting this problem and I'm only level 11, but with bombs. Not sure how to get the base formulae

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

dud root posted:

I'm getting this problem and I'm only level 11, but with bombs. Not sure how to get the base formulae

I looted many a basic one randomly. I think there's a halfling herbalist north of Oxenfurt or thereabouts that may sell some basic stuff as well as enhanced recipes. I know I bought a lot off of him.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
oh my god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWMQr-r-n2s

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Cephalocidal posted:

I would be happy if one of the DLC was just a player storage box. Make me pay some coin for it, I don't care.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

SkyEnzo posted:

It had another troll, you monster. It's automatically great. :colbert:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Filthy Monkey posted:

I would be happy if one of the DLC was just a player storage box. Make me pay some coin for it, I don't care.

Do you really wanna think about what items to put in storage instead of just throwing them away?

just toss them, it feels good

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Do you really wanna think about what items to put in storage instead of just throwing them away?

just toss them, it feels good

This, you're a witcher, a vagabond travelling place to place.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Plus stuff stays around forever, so if you're worried about needing it later drop it in novigrad or something.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

dyzzy posted:

Plus stuff stays around forever, so if you're worried about needing it later drop it in novigrad or something.

I've dropped a bunch of stuff in the master swordsmith's house in Novigrad and it has disappeared.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Well I keep seeing the random letters and poo poo lying in the street so I assumed that was the case for everything :confused: maybe it's only stuff that is at any time a quest item.

Don Cojones
Jul 11, 2001
Just updated my game to latest patch - Can someone link a decent weight limit cheat that works with current patch?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

ShadowMar posted:

I dunno why people keep complaining about the free DLC, it's all stuff that they obviously couldn't finish in time or fit in cohesively. Any other game and we'd never even see this stuff outside of leftover unused assets.

They did make a big deal about all of their DLC being free, and now it turns out the DLC is a 5 minute quest and some armor, and the actual DLC will still cost money. I'm not angry or anything, the game is great, their marketing of it kind of sucks though.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

dyzzy posted:

Well I keep seeing the random letters and poo poo lying in the street so I assumed that was the case for everything :confused: maybe it's only stuff that is at any time a quest item.

I think all those letters are Concerned Citizen sermons...or at least all the ones I've picked up are. They're related to that serial killer quest.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Zoo06 posted:

I think all those letters are Concerned Citizen sermons...or at least all the ones I've picked up are. They're related to that serial killer quest.

They keep spawning too. I have probably 8 from after the true end of that quest.

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

Don Cojones posted:

Just updated my game to latest patch - Can someone link a decent weight limit cheat that works with current patch?

Try this one.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Ah drat it, I accidentally completed a grey quest and now none of my green quests are giving XP. Can't wait for that patch.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm trying to learn how to play Gwent and i'm struggling to understand the most basic concepts, as i've never played any of these strategy card games in my life.

How come when the opponent passes, I have to keep playing all my cards, and if I pass after, my opponent wins, or if I pass first, my opponent automatically wins the round? Cant figure out what I am missing here.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ChocNitty posted:

I'm trying to learn how to play Gwent and i'm struggling to understand the most basic concepts, as i've never played any of these strategy card games in my life.

How come when the opponent passes, I have to keep playing all my cards, and if I pass after, my opponent wins, or if I pass first, my opponent automatically wins the round? Cant figure out what I am missing here.

Lose the first round by trying to get the person to use up more cards/points than you. Gwent is basically Chicken in card-game form.

Some general card skills mean that a tie goes to the holder of that general card. The first guy has a Novigrad general, and its special skill is to win if there's a tie. Other card skills can be picking extra cards, or getting a free specific card and so on.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 4, 2015

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

ChocNitty posted:

Um, the person with more points at round's end wins. It's about as simple as it gets. First person to pass is out of the round until the other player doesn't want to play any more cards.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I'm level 33 and I just came across an Archgriffin at a hidden treasure that is still showing as ??

Oh man, what.

edit: killed me in one hit hahaha. The loot is showing up with quest sparklies, too.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 4, 2015

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

ChocNitty posted:

The winner of a round is whoever have the highest point total of cards active on the board (if it is a tie, both sides lose. If one side is playing Nilfgaard, they win ties too).

A round doesn't end until both sides have chosen to pass (running out of cards to play automatically makes you pass)

Generally, you want one of two things to happen in a round:

1) You lure the enemy into playing more cards than you while you play spies, or use decoys to pull your high-value cards back to your hand. Then you pass and let him win the round, and go into the next one with an advantage in the number of cards you have in your hand.

2) You attempt to have more total points on the board than him, not passing until you're sure he can't beat you (and you generally won't ever be sure). This is why having an advantage in number of cards on hand is so powerful, since you can force him to pass by running out of cards before you do.

(If you can somehow manage to do both in the same round, even better)

If the enemy seems to play for the win in a round, but passes before you do: Take a moment to evaluate how many cards you would need to put out to win instead. If that would leave you with less cards on hand than him in the next round, consider conceding the round (if you can do so without losing the entire match).

First person to lose two rounds loses the match.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 4, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Later in the game every Gwent match turns into a spy arms race.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Broken Cog posted:

No kidding. I've had matches with 7 spy cards on the board in total at the same time, and several of them would get played up to three times or more in the same round.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Earlier in the thread, people were saying the -damage while dodging talent didn't actually do anything. Is there any more to that or should I just skip it?

I'd also like to know this. The red talent tree gives you bonuses that are "under the hood" and hard to see in general, and Whirl and Cleave require a lot of investment to get to. Is it worth it? The Witcher series has always been pretty bad about explaining its mechanics to the player. Mysterious bonuses and incomprehensible tooltips are a hallmark of the series unfortunately.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ShadowMar posted:

Nobody's complained about the DLC though? They're just pointing out it's stuff tossed together from left-overs.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

That or seeing if you have more biting frosts than the monster player has clear weathers.

Luckily squirrel decks are always just free wins.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Scoi'atel has some good ideas but needs to be reworked as a deck. It has just a few buffing cards, a few piling-in cards, a few healers and a whole lot of trash. All the other decks are focused on card advantage; spies, healers, and piling-in all put cards on your side or in your hand. Monsters are better at banding, North and Nilfgaard are better at spies, and Scoi'atel is left with like two sets of piling-in cards and three 0-strengh healers. It's not nearly enough.

Scoi'atel is the only deck that interacts with the zones on the board, but it doesn't go nearly far enough. If Scoi'atel cards could move existing cards from zone to zone, or they had more cards that buffed or debuffed units by zone I could see it working. Right now it's poo poo at card advantage and the little board manipulation it can do is pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Sankis posted:

I'm level 33 and I just came across an Archgriffin at a hidden treasure that is still showing as ??

Oh man, what.

edit: killed me in one hit hahaha. The loot is showing up with quest sparklies, too.

I killed that dude it was like a level 48 Archgriffin. The loot is generic bullshit.