Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Not a pbass but its close, sb-2 tribute with 2yo Ghs pressurewounds:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Constipated posted:

Right? I got it off of Musicansfriend's scratch and dent listings. When I recieved it I looked all over and couldn't find any imperfections, so that's probably why it ended up there. Here is a pic of the back.

200$ well spent in my opinion.

Sometimes non-matched wood is considered a factory "flaw." But yeah, turned out great in your case!

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Not going to lie, I'm a fan of the non-matched look.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think it's a "flaw" as in it's not supposed to happen outside of on neck-through models.

I dunno I like it too. Looks good. Gonna get one of them Squier p-basses someday I like them too

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Juaguocio posted:

Does this count?

dingwall stole my baby

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
A Precision with flats is just such an important tone for the history of the instrument, and the history of the birth of multiple genres of American music.

"My tone" is just about as far from that as you can get, but every once in a while a song needs this guy instead:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Pretty basses up in this bitch god dang

Widdershins
May 19, 2007
Not even trying

Bought my 1st 'real' bass in 1997 after saving my pennies, and selling most of my beginner gear. American Standard in Lake Placid Blue!
Sounds great, feels even better... but it's loving boat anchor heavy.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Widdershins posted:

Bought my 1st 'real' bass in 1997 after saving my pennies, and selling most of my beginner gear. American Standard in Lake Placid Blue!
Sounds great, feels even better... but it's loving boat anchor heavy.

That's a feature, not a bug.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Slight variant, fender precision blacktop that I bought last when I decided to take up the bass again. La bella flats on it :getin:

Willeh fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 3, 2015

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I need to do a setup on my Warwick, however I do not have the Official Warwick Truss Rod Wrench (tm). From my understanding, the Warwick wrench is just a 5mm Hex Ball End. Would something like this work?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

A Precision with flats is just such an important tone for the history of the instrument, and the history of the birth of multiple genres of American music.

"My tone" is just about as far from that as you can get, but every once in a while a song needs this guy instead:

Agreedo. We mostly do modern-ish fusion but recently decided to do a little rendition of Curtis Mayfield's "pusher man" and I feel like I'd be committing a sin if I didn't play that on the P with some flats.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Willeh posted:

Slight variant, fender precision blacktop that I bought last when I decided to take up the bass again. La bella flats on it :getin:

I got the silver version and flats were a huge improvement, good call!

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

TriggerHappy posted:

I got the silver version and flats were a huge improvement, good call!

:hfive: blacktop buddy

I tried it briefly when I got with the factory strings but it sounded almost exactly like my jazz. With the flats though :allears:

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Flats sound waaay better on a Jazz Bass IMO.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm still looking around for something to replace my Ibanez GSR200. I've been looking at a few things and nothing's really jumped out at me as "buy this immediately". I'm sorta leaning towards a p-bass, the one's I've played have probably been the most fun.

Can anyone tell me what the major differences between the Standard p-bass and the "50s" p-bass are? I haven't played them side-by-side yet, but they seem to be almost the same thing apart from the pickguard.

These two models are what I mean:
http://www.basscentre.com.au/collections/4-string-basses/products/precision-bass-gtr-brown-sunburst-rwd-fb-w-bag
http://www.basscentre.com.au/collections/4-string-basses/products/50s-precision-bass

The 50s one seems to have a nicer finish (it's not the one with the lacquer finish, which is more expensive again), but that might just be the photography?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 5, 2015

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

I'm still looking around for something to replace my Ibanez GSR200. I've been looking at a few things and nothing's really jumped out at me as "buy this immediately". I'm sorta leaning towards a p-bass, the one's I've played have probably been the most fun.

Can anyone tell me what the major differences between the Standard p-bass and the "50s" p-bass are? I haven't played them side-by-side yet, but they seem to be almost the same thing apart from the pickguard.

These two models are what I mean:
http://www.basscentre.com.au/collections/4-string-basses/products/precision-bass-gtr-brown-sunburst-rwd-fb-w-bag
http://www.basscentre.com.au/collections/4-string-basses/products/50s-precision-bass

The 50s one seems to have a nicer finish (it's not the one with the lacquer finish, which is more expensive again), but that might just be the photography?

Neck shape and pickups will probably be the main differences. Without playing them, I'm assuming the 50s will have a beefier neck and the pickup might sound a bit nicer. Pickups are easy to change, though, so if possible I'd try to play both and choose whichever neck feels better.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Fretboard materials make a huge difference, and this can't be overstated.

The 50's P-bass has a maple fretboard; I think that's an option on the standard model. This will give you a brighter tone, especially on the attack. There will be more upper midrange, as well. It'll overdrive quite nicely if you want it to, and it'll just about sizzle if that's what you prefer.

The rosewood fingerboard is standard on the other model. It'll have deeper lows, beefy high notes without a lot of sizzle, and an overall mellower sound. Where the maple fretboard can cut through the mix in the midrange to upper registers, the rosewood will cut through at the bottom and serve as an amazing foundation.

Beyond that, the 50s bass should have nicer electronics, but both of these models are made in Mexico, so it's hard to say that for sure. The 50s P-bass has a 7.25" radius fingerboard vs. the standard's 9.5". This means that the fretboard is noticeably more curved than you may be used to; 7.25" used to be the standard but hasn't been in many decades. It will have a different feel, but it shouldn't be a problem. Just be aware that it's going to be different than any other bass you own.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Installed D'Addario Tapewounds on my Jazz Bass for the first time and man that's the sound I've wanted for a long time. Amazing deep thump with a lot of sustain that surprised me. The Tapes sustain on the Bongo I have but I figured they would thump and die with the single coils.

Anyway in classic "hey I found a great sound me for me so how can I instantly search for something more" musician fashion I'm looking for other tapewound/flatwound suggestions. The focus is low end. Lots of it. Enough mids to have that nice low mid punch too. High end should be not really there, just enough to get some fret clanking if I run the tone up all the day. I usually keep it all the way off. Feel is somewhat important as well. The 45-105 D'Addario Tapes are very low tension and I dig that. I'm not a hard player most of the time and I value my hands.

I've been digging through a bunch of Jamerson tunes lately if you can't tell. It rubs off.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Thanks guys. I went to a couple of places and played a shitload of different basses today. Not really focussing on the Fenders, just trying everything out. Nothing sounded quite as nice (or was as much fun to play) as the p basses though, and comparing the two I mentioned the 50s neck didn't feel as nice, and (to me) the pickups weren't noticably different. So in the end this happened:

Fender MiM p bass, black with rosewood fretboard.

I'm super super happy with the way it feels.

Phil Donahue
Sep 12, 2007
Can anyone give me a comparison on the differences between the satin neck finish on a G&L vs. the satin finish on a Music Man? I know the MMs have an oil and wax blend as a finish and the G&L uses a poly. I love the feel of the MM satin and I'm having trouble finding a G&L with a satin neck that I can try out.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Since we're posting our P basses...

My contribution: 1978 Yamaha BB800 (Japan). P-bass killer of the day, kicks a tonne of arse. Solid as a rock, comfortable, vicious P tone.
Everyone needs one.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Here's my contribution.
It's a saga p-bass I finished from a kit.
Not the greatest thing in the world but it sounds like a p and that's all I wanted.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
No that bass owns I love the sparkles.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Sparkly basses are great, get a bunch of psychedelic reverb/chorus/delay going and live the 70s.

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

Installed D'Addario Tapewounds on my Jazz Bass for the first time and man that's the sound I've wanted for a long time. Amazing deep thump with a lot of sustain that surprised me. The Tapes sustain on the Bongo I have but I figured they would thump and die with the single coils.

Anyway in classic "hey I found a great sound me for me so how can I instantly search for something more" musician fashion I'm looking for other tapewound/flatwound suggestions. The focus is low end. Lots of it. Enough mids to have that nice low mid punch too. High end should be not really there, just enough to get some fret clanking if I run the tone up all the day. I usually keep it all the way off. Feel is somewhat important as well. The 45-105 D'Addario Tapes are very low tension and I dig that. I'm not a hard player most of the time and I value my hands.

I've been digging through a bunch of Jamerson tunes lately if you can't tell. It rubs off.

I've tried D'Addario, Labella, and Rotosound tapes. Right now I'm preferring the Labella black 115's.
Their white tapes were flop city, so if you want low tension that would fit the bill. Couldn't tolerate them long enough to get a sense of their sound. It was like trying to play with cold pasta.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Technically (but not really) a P-Bass, Fender Blacktop:

Doesn't really sound like anything else I've played. Put flats on it (sup Willeh) and it tamed the hot pickups nicely. It's ridiculously responsive to where you pluck/strum, moving even an inch towards or away from the bridge gives a totally different sound, no matter which pickup(s) you're playing through. It's great once you're used to it, but it did take me a while.

Actual P-Bass content, Classic Series 60's P-Bass:

Picked it up for under $350 from Sam Ash. Couple dings in the body but nothing too bad. Plays absolutely amazing, and the pickups are perfect. Probably going to keep rounds on it so I have that sharp punk sound. The copper pickguard is an awesome bonus.

When my dad's done with his 80's American Standard Jazz he's planning on giving it to me, and I'll be all set.

[Fakedit: Who am I kidding, I'll always want a Ric 4001, a 5-string, etc etc]

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

TriggerHappy posted:

Actual P-Bass content, Classic Series 60's P-Bass:

Picked it up for under $350 from Sam Ash. Couple dings in the body but nothing too bad. Plays absolutely amazing, and the pickups are perfect. Probably going to keep rounds on it so I have that sharp punk sound. The copper pickguard is an awesome bonus.

Not sure if that was a typo, but just FYI that would be a Classic 50s. Maple fretboard and gold pickguard are the giveaways. I have an AVRI just like it and I love it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Jonithen posted:

I've tried D'Addario, Labella, and Rotosound tapes. Right now I'm preferring the Labella black 115's.
Their white tapes were flop city, so if you want low tension that would fit the bill. Couldn't tolerate them long enough to get a sense of their sound. It was like trying to play with cold pasta.

115s god drat man, that seems intense! I bet it sounds huge though. I don't think I could handle that but who knows, I might get brave. I think I'll try out a set of both the blacks and whites eventually. Do the whites have their own sound?

As for the tension that sounds good me. The D'Addarios are really floppy compared to something like Chromes and I massively prefer it that way. I'm a wimp :)

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
The Labellas have very low tension, so the 115 won't feel as stiff as you might think.

Jamerson used big ol' strings- the E in his "signature" Labella set is a 110.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

TriggerHappy posted:

Technically (but not really) a P-Bass, Fender Blacktop:

Doesn't really sound like anything else I've played. Put flats on it (sup Willeh) and it tamed the hot pickups nicely. It's ridiculously responsive to where you pluck/strum, moving even an inch towards or away from the bridge gives a totally different sound, no matter which pickup(s) you're playing through. It's great once you're used to it, but it did take me a while.

:hfive: blacktop buddy!

I noticed the responsive pickups too, but I thought it was just because I am a mediocre player at best that that happened :derp:. With the flats on it though and some dirt it can do that queens of the stone age sound I was after really well. It also detunes super well with the labella strings on it. Great bass!

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

115s god drat man, that seems intense! I bet it sounds huge though. I don't think I could handle that but who knows, I might get brave. I think I'll try out a set of both the blacks and whites eventually. Do the whites have their own sound?

As for the tension that sounds good me. The D'Addarios are really floppy compared to something like Chromes and I massively prefer it that way. I'm a wimp :)

It's not nearly as bad as it sounds - the tension is significantly less than the Roto 88 tapes, which were cool but a bit much.
My gold standard in terms of feel are the 105 Rotosound 66's, they just feel right, so I kind of use that as a starting point when looking into other strings.

The white tapes come in standard or light - both were low tension. If you wanted to try them, I imagine the standard gauge would be fine, but we all have our own preferences. I can't help you with the sound, I basically ripped them off within minutes of installation which was a huge waste but you just know when something is a NOPE. At least it helped me figure out where I wanted to be feel-wise.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Just got a Gold Tone Microbass 25 fretless super cheap today and parked it in front of a condenser mic this evening. The strings still are being broken in and I'm getting used to the teensy scale and powdering the strings, but I find it sounds much better than most unplugged acoustic bass guitars that use metal strings. Especially when finger picked.

Video here: http://www.instagram.com/p/4BBMq3y6N9/

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
So we're within a week of closing on our new house :woop: and I've got a ~13x19 foot finished room in the basement for my computer crap and music gear. I'll be hanging my electric on the wall, and I want my upright to be very easy to just grab and noodle with, so it's as easy as possible for me to do some practicing. Does anyone here have an upright bass stand, or something that would work for this besides "just leave it laying on the ground" or "shove it in a corner where it looks abandoned"?

I want to build something that lets me set the bass right into place, whether it's in a gig bag or on its own, preferably with the endpin in playing position. I'm thinking it would be freestanding, with a support to lean the neck against so it's tilted and resting securely in place. I've seen some very basic stands that hold a bass perfectly upright, but they don't look very stable.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Just taking a look online for upright bass stands, you can find some designs that would require little-to-moderate carpentry skill. My favorite so far seems to be this:

Obviously if you don't mind it not being made of mahogany and lined with velvet, you can get creative with the construction, but basically just build yourself a big sturdy box with a port in the bottom and a big cut in the front for the strings.

If it doesn't feel like its stable enough, build it deeper, with a higher back or more mass at the bottom.

Other than that, my first thought was to put a pole into the foundation and then weld the top half of a wide enough (preferably locking) guitar stand onto it, so you just have a pole sticking out of the ground to put the bass up against. Maybe install a subtle stop into the flooring nearby for the endpin to stick into if it should come loose.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Just taking a look online for upright bass stands, you can find some designs that would require little-to-moderate carpentry skill. My favorite so far seems to be this:

Obviously if you don't mind it not being made of mahogany and lined with velvet, you can get creative with the construction, but basically just build yourself a big sturdy box with a port in the bottom and a big cut in the front for the strings.

If it doesn't feel like its stable enough, build it deeper, with a higher back or more mass at the bottom.

Other than that, my first thought was to put a pole into the foundation and then weld the top half of a wide enough (preferably locking) guitar stand onto it, so you just have a pole sticking out of the ground to put the bass up against. Maybe install a subtle stop into the flooring nearby for the endpin to stick into if it should come loose.

Yeah, that style looks way too flimsy, I wouldn't trust that to work if a dog were to wag his tail vigorously nearby. Like you said, I would want it deeper, and with a higher back. Basically a one-bass version of this:

I've got a pretty long list of furniture to build, and I've never done anything more complex than butt joints in speaker cabs, so I think this will be one of my practice projects for better techniques before I get to the cabinets and rocking chair.

The velvet lining is pretty sweet, certainly better looking than hard foam pipe insulation for protecting the bass finish...

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
How about this homemade job?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The box-style stands aren't flimsy, the upright's mass is all low down so you don't need much to keep it in place. Upton makes a nice one: http://www.uptonbass.com/Double-Bass-Stand-Upright-Bass-Stand/

I finally made my decision on pedalboard compressors and have a Keeley Bassist on the way. I was thinking about the Compressor Pro, but the Bassist and the Pro are the same thing if you set the Pro to auto attack/release and hard knee, which is what I'd end up doing all the time anyways. That completes my pedalboard (Pitchblack, B3K, MicroPOG, Proton, Keeley, Ditto) until I get in a situation where I'd want to replace my Pitchblack with a Line6 G70.

I'm really scraping the barrel nowadays for new gear to get... I'll grab Baer's DI box whenever it's ready, I suppose, and I'd like to swap out the Aguilar preamps in my basses to Nordstrands new surface mount revision of his preamp. Otherwise it's just kind of doodling out ideas for new basses that I'm years and years away from ordering. It's kind of weird.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

What's with the "Welcome to my rear end" thing anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Hey, I am a bass newbie and i was wondering if anyone knew anything about the history of my bass guitar, it's by Jarock and is pink sparkle with a matching headstock, maple neck and black pickguard. It says made in japan on the metal panel on the back. It is v.similar to a ibanez blazer in shape

All I can find from Google is that it may have been made in the terada plant in japan in 70s or 80s but that just comes from eBay sellers who are selling the same model so I don't know what to believe!

Just curious in case anyone here knows anything about this brand or can point me in the direction of some good resources?

I like it anyway!!!

Oh also, does anyone recommend the vox am plug bass headphone thingy? I have a amp (ampeg ba112) but am going away and would like to take my bass with me so I can practice and can't fit the amp in the car as well!