Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

My day job outsources some engineering to Moldova and Romania. Aside from one pretty big miss, they have been putting out pretty good code so far. I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Someone asked for a phone paid for by work, they loving dug a Blackberry Bold out of somewhere and now they want 'VPN and email etc' setup on it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bob Morales posted:

Someone asked for a phone paid for by work, they loving dug a Blackberry Bold out of somewhere and now they want 'VPN and email etc' setup on it.

Our much anticipated smartphone roll out is about to finally happen (after over a year's delay).

Except these shiny, large-screened Nokias will be so locked down that you can't install any apps or even access the internet on them.

Which lead me to ask why they were called 'smartphones'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Let's talk bad UI's for a second.

Put your mouse over 'vendor' and you get that fancy 1998-style pop-up menu. But if you click on 'vendor' you get another screen! it's like magic

Also the rows are super narrow and they don't build any 'give' into it so you have to try like 3 times to pick a menu option without it loving collapsing. Ugh.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Things currently pissing me off:

Having 6 individual apps to remove from Control Panel when trying to remove SQL server.

Is there some sort of clean removal tool I can get? I have 4 versions to remove.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Spazz posted:

My day job outsources some engineering to Moldova and Romania. Aside from one pretty big miss, they have been putting out pretty good code so far. I hope.

They aren't. They never are; all code is poo poo, your code (if you code), my code, everybodys code. It's all poo poo, all the time, but especially in outsources overworked countries. And the worst part about it? The code isn't your pile of poo poo, and therefor you can't modify it easily.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

m.hache posted:

Things currently pissing me off:

Having 6 individual apps to remove from Control Panel when trying to remove SQL server.

Is there some sort of clean removal tool I can get? I have 4 versions to remove.

I believe powershell can cure what ails ya.
I have a script that I populate with names or part of names of applications to get removed.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

bobmarleysghost posted:

I believe powershell can cure what ails ya.
I have a script that I populate with names or part of names of applications to get removed.

PowerShell itself didn't have the functionality to uninstall software (soon though) but wmi has an .uninstall() function on objects that's easy enough to work with in PS. I'd post code but I'm phone posting.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

On the topic of fake promises, at my terrible consulting job I did an over the weekend network rip out and upgrade once that was a convoluted and insane (I've posted the story before, so I'll spare the thread), the owner/manager/salesman came in during the end of it and said something along the lines of "you guys are just going above and beyond, so I'll make sure you get a year end bonus, we weren't planning on doing them this year, but we'll make sure you two get it." This was in December.

Then come February, no bonus. I mention it to my direct manager, and he says "first I've heard of it." So I go into the owners office and mention it to him, and he says "yeah, about that..." so I sort of flip out. Then my next pay check has the bonus on it. I mention it to the other engineer, since I want to make sure he gets paid too, and then he tells me that they told him he won't be getting it until April, since they only had the funds to pay one of them, and they paid me first because I'm (and I quote) "unreasonable". Meanwhile, it was only like $1500 bonus, what company doesn't have $3,000 to pay it's two main engineers/technicians?

Thanks guys!

yeah man you work for a small (<10 employees) company that is poorly managed.. that's just the breaks I guess. Not everyone works for a Fortune 500

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

A3th3r posted:

yeah man you work for a small (<10 employees) company that is poorly managed.. that's just the breaks I guess. Not everyone works for a Fortune 500

Not any more!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

A3th3r posted:

"Poorly managed" is always the key word there. You can have a pretty big company that's just as lovely just from management, and 9 times out of 10 that's why people :yotj:.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

hihifellow posted:

PowerShell itself didn't have the functionality to uninstall software (soon though) but wmi has an .uninstall() function on objects that's easy enough to work with in PS. I'd post code but I'm phone posting.

Yes, and that's why it's in a script. The script calls the .uninstall() on whatever it can, on what it can't it uses msiexec /uninstall etc.
It's well worth the time to customize/create the script.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Put your mouse over 'vendor' and you get that fancy 1998-style pop-up menu. But if you click on 'vendor' you get another screen! it's like magic

Also the rows are super narrow and they don't build any 'give' into it so you have to try like 3 times to pick a menu option without it loving collapsing. Ugh.

Holy poo poo, did they use a Geocities website builder and then migrate it over?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Bob Morales posted:

Yes but where is the option to change the theme to Hot Dog Stand??

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Pissing me off: The Windows 2000 Server boxes just got another year extension. And now some of the 2003 boxes are starting to get that same treatment.

Not pissing me off: new blade servers!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OAquinas posted:

Pissing me off: The Windows 2000 Server boxes just got another year extension. And now some of the 2003 boxes are starting to get that same treatment.

Not pissing me off: new blade servers!

With Windows 2000 Server pre-installed!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

flosofl posted:

With Windows 2000 Server pre-installed!

ha!
Fun trivia: we discovered after the fact that Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V doesn't support Windows 2000 as a guest OS. That being said, the 2008 R2 guest VMs we imported still work. Kind of. Can't make any changes to the disks, breathe on them, or otherwise spook their tired old hearts, but they work.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spog posted:

Our much anticipated smartphone roll out is about to finally happen (after over a year's delay).

Except these shiny, large-screened Nokias will be so locked down that you can't install any apps or even access the internet on them.

Which lead me to ask why they were called 'smartphones'

Sounds pretty smart :shrug:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Boogalo posted:

You can get old D630's or E6400's off ebay for $100-200. It is time for friend to upgrade.

Yea, if I had a little more time I'd get something actually good. Thankfully its just a spare machine so odds are probably good it will sit unused in a laptop bag.

DigitalRaven posted:

Time those shitboxes had an accident with an industrial drill and some thermite.

The old computers I brought back where some decent Lenovo W520s, I'd hope to repurpose them for things like this. Instead I had to pass them around at work and we are replacing some of our computers with them. Better then our old HP shitboxes? Yes. As good as a new laptop? Nope.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Put SSDs in those W520s and they'll be fine for a few more years.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

CitizenKain posted:

I'm installing WinXP on a old laptop right now for a friend. Forgot how painfully slow a 2006 era laptop with a 4200rpm drive is.

Boogalo posted:

You can get old D630's or E6400's off ebay for $100-200. It is time for friend to upgrade.

We've recently retired a bunch of E6400, and we can't bring ourselves to scrap them. Stuff a cheapo 80 GB SSD in them and they're wonderfully capable machines. We can't sell them either because the company's logo is branded on each one, and we don't want the police to call every other day when they find one of them at one of their usual "clients" or tossed in the IT-bin at some recycling station.
..so instead we're keeping 300 old machines in storage because we're a bunch of idiots, BUT THEY'RE NICE MACHINES DAMMIT!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I've thrown out every single laptop that has a scratch, is mising a rubber foot, was slightly dusty or I just didn't plain like the service number of, and I'm now down to about 200 laptops in storage. At least I have tons of toys to play with when it comes to Windows 10 and other OSes. I also found a Samsung Nvidia 3D monitor with active glasses sitting in a corner which I confiscated. I watched the opening of Guardians of the Galaxy on it, and had a headache for two days.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

DigitalRaven posted:

Hexadecanitrofullerene. Otherwise known as N60 buckyballs.
Otherwise known as things that enjoy suddenly turning into elemental nitrogen accompanied by a loud bang.

loud gas passing. :haw:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

evobatman posted:

I've thrown out every single laptop that has a scratch, is mising a rubber foot, was slightly dusty or I just didn't plain like the service number of, and I'm now down to about 200 laptops in storage. At least I have tons of toys to play with when it comes to Windows 10 and other OSes. I also found a Samsung Nvidia 3D monitor with active glasses sitting in a corner which I confiscated. I watched the opening of Guardians of the Galaxy on it, and had a headache for two days.

Note to self.

- Reserve Win10 on all laptops at home. (you don't have to actually install it, right?)
- Watch Guardians of the Galaxy.. but not in 3D!

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
On certain machines used in meeting rooms etc, we have this old and terrible tradition of logging them on as DOMAIN\Administrator because it's the laziest way to have an account already set up (people not having to log on as themselves and initialise the user account) that has full access to the network drives, so that no one ever has to suffer those embarrassing "oh crap, I can't access the Directors folder?!" moments in front of a client. It's obviously something that happened once and some director shouted about it and it must never happen again yada yada. Anyway I've been trying to steer us away from it for years.

Finally because we're testing Windows 10 on one of them, I find a rather convenient security restriction where you can't run Metro apps using the administrator account. Huzzah! Now I finally have an excuse, via "more and more built-in Windows stuff uses the Modern interface these days", to push once more for seting up a separate "fullaccess" account that has full access to the network drives without just handing over complete unbridled access to not only all the system files but also the entire loving domain, all user accounts, all private user home directories, all servers etc. Or heaven forbid have users suck it up and initialise their account a couple of minutes before their meeting or allocate some time to tidying up the initialisation process and make it a bit smarter.

Manager: :supaburn: but but but.... muh administrator account!

Me: :eng101: Relax boss, it's a security feature, but we can just set up a full access account for the network drive and log it in for them as before, but more secure! Or maybe let them log in as themselves even! And of course the servers are unaffected, you can still use your administrator account to manage those. (I'd rather we didn't as it's bad practice and has no individual traceability, but that's logic)

Manager: :supaburn: NO! No no no! No! Why?! Why would they do this?! I don't want to litter the domain with another user account! Why would Microsoft do this, it makes no sense!

Me: (It does actually and well it kind of... isn't the 1970s any more, one extra user account isn't exactly going to fill the hard drive or anything...) *cough* I can't see the issue, they kind of have a point actually - if any bit of malware gets on a machine running as an administrator account, it has full unbridled access to wreak havoc on the system files, the servers, the...

Manager: :rolleyes: Nooooo that only applies to remote access, this is IN-TER-NAL. We don't allow remote access, we're behind a FI-RE-WALL. We're supposed to have full access to our own systems.

Me: Eh? But.. I don't even.. what? Um, the thing is, people can pick up malware through the web browser for example which then has permissions to do what it likes without even a warning, not to mention anyone who happens to wander into the meeting room while it's logged in and...

Manager: NO. Hey I just Googled it and there's a security policy you can turn off. I solved the problem for you! Get it turned off.

Me: :sigh: Well we can poke holes in the security policy I guess, but I don't think that's....

Manager: OFF.

Me: :eng99:

Just retire already arggggh! The combination of being in charge of IT, being insanely arrogant to the point of just ignoring facts and knowing absolutely gently caress all about computers beyond the 1970s/1980s is just so infuriating to work with on a daily basis. I know.... document everything.... no one cares. The fuckwittery goes all the way up.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 4, 2015

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Holy ever loving poo poo my man. I have a home lab with 1 user - myself - and I don't even log onto the 'Administrator' account on there. Jeeeeesus.

GargleBlaster posted:

Manager: :supaburn: NO! No no no! No! Why?! Why would they do this?! I don't want to litter the domain with another user account! Why would Microsoft do this, it makes no sense!
What like user accounts slow your domain down just like desktop icons slow your computer down or something? This guy, this is my guy.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 4, 2015

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

What like user accounts slow your domain down just like desktop icons slow your computer down or something? This guy, this is my guy.

Pretty much but he likes desktop icons so they're safe. But like everyone else I get tutted at for having more than 2 or 3 windows open at a time with "it's a wonder it still works..." (I have 8GB of RAM) and he still makes full use of the defrag placebo effect on hard drives or "no wonder, you have like 5 applications open, close some of them!" in response to people saying their 7 year old desktops are a bit slow.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Crowley posted:

We've recently retired a bunch of E6400, and we can't bring ourselves to scrap them. Stuff a cheapo 80 GB SSD in them and they're wonderfully capable machines. We can't sell them either because the company's logo is branded on each one, and we don't want the police to call every other day when they find one of them at one of their usual "clients" or tossed in the IT-bin at some recycling station.
..so instead we're keeping 300 old machines in storage because we're a bunch of idiots, BUT THEY'RE NICE MACHINES DAMMIT!

Is the logo on the lid? You could just buy some replacement lids and install them. That sounds like it works be a hell of a lot of work but i bet you could then sell all those laptops for a pretty penny.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Is the logo on the lid? You could just buy some replacement lids and install them. That sounds like it works be a hell of a lot of work but i bet you could then sell all those laptops for a pretty penny.

Yes, it's one of those metal-labels that's glued to the lid. We've had some company make a bid on purchasing the machines but they wanted to deduct their transport from the bill and we'd barely brake even. I just looked them up on DBA.dk (local craiglist) and they go for around 500 crowns without a HDD (which we'll remove and destroy as per data protection guides). A new lid costs around 400 crowns so even if we had buyers for the machines it's barely worth it - especially when you consider the cost of the labor.

Personally I've just chiseled the security tag off on the machines I've taken, it leaves a gash but I don't mind that when I mess around at home.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

I think you guys are all missing the potential for a pretty bitchin' Beowulf Cluster with all those laptops.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

GargleBlaster posted:

(Dumb rear end Manager stuff)

Find yourself a copy of a file infected with a Cryptolocker variant and somehow make it so that it gets activated when he is using the computer. When the fall out from that is over either there will be no company left because you don't have any backups or they will see the light.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Man wouldn't it be great to have "intentionally infected company machine with cryptolocker to prove boss is an asshat" on your resume?

On the other hand, if someone just so happened to find a USB drive in the parking lot with "Sarah's private stuff!!!" on it, that would be completely out of your hands!

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GargleBlaster posted:

On certain machines used in meeting rooms etc, we have this old and terrible tradition of logging them on as DOMAIN\Administrator because it's the laziest way to have an account already set up (people not having to log on as themselves and initialise the user account) that has full access to the network drives, so that no one ever has to suffer those embarrassing "oh crap, I can't access the Directors folder?!" moments in front of a client. It's obviously something that happened once and some director shouted about it and it must never happen again yada yada. Anyway I've been trying to steer us away from it for years.

Rename the administrator account. Create a new account called administrator with no profile and far fewer permissions.

Downside is other IT people will endlessly forget this has happened and try to 'fix' the false administrator account.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

GargleBlaster posted:

Finally because we're testing Windows 10 on one of them, I find a rather convenient security restriction where you can't run Metro apps using the administrator account. Huzzah! Now I finally have an excuse, via "more and more built-in Windows stuff uses the Modern interface these days", to push once more for seting up a separate "fullaccess" account that has full access to the network drives without just handing over complete unbridled access to not only all the system files but also the entire loving domain, all user accounts, all private user home directories, all servers etc. Or heaven forbid have users suck it up and initialise their account a couple of minutes before their meeting or allocate some time to tidying up the initialisation process and make it a bit smarter.

Just retire already arggggh! The combination of being in charge of IT, being insanely arrogant to the point of just ignoring facts and knowing absolutely gently caress all about computers beyond the 1970s/1980s is just so infuriating to work with on a daily basis. I know.... document everything.... no one cares. The fuckwittery goes all the way up.

Couldn't you create a local admin account for just that computer if they are so adamant about it and then have like a network share that you throw a shortcut to on the desktop? I guess they would still have to have the foresight to move their files to that network share ahead of time.

Tell him in Windows 11 that they completely removed admin accounts.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Crowley posted:

Yes, it's one of those metal-labels that's glued to the lid. We've had some company make a bid on purchasing the machines but they wanted to deduct their transport from the bill and we'd barely brake even. I just looked them up on DBA.dk (local craiglist) and they go for around 500 crowns without a HDD (which we'll remove and destroy as per data protection guides). A new lid costs around 400 crowns so even if we had buyers for the machines it's barely worth it - especially when you consider the cost of the labor.

Personally I've just chiseled the security tag off on the machines I've taken, it leaves a gash but I don't mind that when I mess around at home.

1. Make an SA-Mart thread and display what it looks like when you remove the logo.
2. ?
3. Profit!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
pissed off today: my whole week of appointments keeps getting canceled. I'm product expert on a specific reporting module for our software, I had a week of setting it up lined up for a few projects that were almost ready to go production, but they got pushed by a few days so now I have nothing to do but watch DOTA2 all day. I guess I should study something, but I'm just not motivated this week. I'm also sort of stuck dealing with customer support (not help desk, but planning some system upgrades) for some customers that don't want to pay, so I'm allowed to help them when they call, but I can't actually do anything since the customers don't want to pay for my time. It's so awkward when they call and I can't commit to helping them, but since their managers and ours are fighting over contracts, I can't really talk about it with them.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I have nothing to do but watch DOTA2 all day.

If you're working somewhere where this is an actual option, you probably have more problems then just what you're describing.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

GargleBlaster posted:

Manager: NO. Hey I just Googled it and there's a security policy you can turn off. I solved the problem for you! Get it turned off.

I think I just burst a blood vessel in my eyeball.

EDIT FOR CONTENT:

Pissing me off lately: We've accepted so many projects with so close a delivery date (because my boss is a spineless weasel who would rather apologize than say no) that as soon as something sort of works, I get pulled off to the next thing that we'd promised yesterday.

And then the jackoff has the nerve to smugly observe "how everything around here is half-assed." No poo poo, Sherlock.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 4, 2015

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Gyshall posted:

If you're working somewhere where this is an actual option, you probably have more problems then just what you're describing.

I'm just joking, I have some stuff I can do, I'm just sort of between projects for a couple weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My boss had a meltdown after our bi-weekly meeting yesterday. I'm supposed to meet with her and the CEO every two weeks but she's canceled it repeatedly for two straight months. Yesterday he was unavailable so I just met with her. I went down my laundry list of projects I've been working on, careful to keep things simple because she will literally put her hand up and say "Too much detail" if I mention anything technical. When I was done she said I should summarize and email it to the CEO so he can read it sometime in the next week or two. She also wanted me to arrange all the projects into a single timeline for her.

At some point after that she had her meltdown and sent me an email of my summary plastered with notes, most of which I didn't understand. She wrote "ICO" next to many of the items which I thought meant "initial cost of ownership" but it was attached to things like "reorganized server room and disposed of broken/obsolete spares hardware." She stamped many items with "WHEN? WHEN?" even though yesterday she asked me to put things on a timeline which I would not have had time to complete yet.

I went by her office to see if she had time to review her email, and she seemed strangely flustered. Things didn't get really weird though until I asked about ICO.

Dick: What does the ICO notation mean?
Boss: You don't know?
Dick: I thought it might be initial cost of ownership but...
Boss: It's ICO. How did you get to this point without knowing what it means?
Dick: Maybe I use a different term for it, is it...
Boss: I want the ICO for each of these items.
Dick: I... need some specifics though because I'm not familiar with the way you're using ICO.
Boss: <huffs> How much clearer do I need to make myself?

At this point I could feel myself getting angry. Although I've had almost no feedback from her and the CEO I've received plenty of positive comments from managing directors and below so there was no reason to think I was going to be in a confrontation with anyone. But making decisions when I'm angry has always given me bad results so I didn't say anything for a moment.

Dick: I want to get you whatever you need to be fully informed about what I'm doing. You can see that I don't know what your term means, so the only way I can get you what you need is if you explain it to me.
Boss: You can go. We're done.
Dick: Let's talk about what's going on.
Boss: We're done. We're done. <turns to face her monitor>

I want to make it clear that I've made no assumptions that this place would be any better than the last place, or any place I've ever worked. I have no illusions. I saw things that were promising, was told things by the people at the top that were promising but on the inside I remained skeptical. I've maintained a positive attitude and just jumped in and started getting everything sorted out, top to bottom.

But the whole time I've been thinking "when do I see what they're really like?" Unlike the last place I'm not going to take this as a sign of the apocalypse and that my employment is doomed. It was an annoying and frustrating experience but for all I know she does this to everyone and it's meaningless. I'm going to stick to this job like a barnacle.

But for gently caress's sake I'm so goddamn sick of stupid bosses.