Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yep, one of our local vineyards has been making brandy and grappa for a while, and it's really great stuff. They're expanding into some other things, but it takes time, so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

I know it's not a "small house", but my favorite mass market brewer, Dogfish Head, makes (made? not sure if they still do it) gin. I guess it's only available in Delaware or some poo poo like that so I'll never be able to try it. Would that I could.

I have had it, it's good gin but nothing too noteworthy. If you send me a PM on or around July 1st I might be able to snag you a bottle, I'm heading that way to buy a kayak and the woman and I were going to make a weekend of it and go to the brewery.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
There is a great small distillery in Pittsburgh called Wigle (They pronounce it Wiggle). I brought back a bunch of their stuff when I was there last year. I really liked their rum that is not actually rum. It is made with honey instead of cane sugar and molasses, so legally it cannot be called rum. Their rye and wheat whiskey were also really tasty. I am hoping to get back up there this year since they don't ship to GA.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Long story short, I had no job for a year, and was at the point where flipping burgers would be a thing I'd do. However, I took a job as a bookkeeper/office bitch for about half of what a bookkeeper generally commands, because every other jerkface was offering even /less/ than that for double the amount of work. Seriously. Some dude wanted to pay me $10 an hour to be a restaurant bookkeeper for more than one restaurant. This car rental place wanted to give me $300 a week for making collection calls, and handling their Quickbooks. AND it's way out in like Flushing or something. And those were the ones who actually called me in for an interview. AND THEN THEY NEVER CALLED ME BACK. Because apparently there were plenty of other people who applied for and got those jobs wtf.

>_< The tech support jobs were offering $12 an hour, and were out in NJ, which meant spending extra on the Jersey Transit, to the tune of $20 - $30 a day. I was so depressed and drinking so heavily that Puppy literally staged an intervention so that I wouldn't end up harming myself terribly. :shudder:

I'm making more money now than I ever have before in my life, but I'm still considered below the poverty level in my city, to the point where I'm on the free gubmint health care thing. Pretty much any apartment I'd be able to find within a 45 minute commute of work would cost me half my pay. Granted, it used to cost me 3/4 of my pay, but still.

Meeting Phummus and BroPhummus was so much fun! We had a really good time at Han Dynasty, eating and talking about food, guns, and crazy people out in the country. When I got back to the AirBnB that night, I met the boyfriend of the hostess of the house. He was a very sweet man, and we got to talking about food, travelling, and what an awesome city Philly is. It turned out that he's massively into South Indian food, and hadn't had it properly done. The one time he tried idli was on a layover in Delhi on the way to Kathmandu. He said it was the saddest idli he'd ever et. I didn't have any specific plans for the next day anyways, so I said, "I would love to cook with you. We can run down to the store, grab a few veg, and I can show you how to make it for yourself. That way you don't have to spend all that money in eating it at the restaurants." I swear his eyes lit up like I'd just made Christmas happen. He said, "I don't want to kill your entire day, because I know you're leaving tomorrow, but oh my god, I would LOVE that." So we exchanged phone numbers, and I promised to text him when I woke up the next day.

We had a really good time. He took me to a couple of Indian stores (the first was closed, so we had to go to the other one a few blocks away) in his car, which was great because a/c is life. It was hot outside! Then we went to this food co-op where they had amazing vegetables grown locally. Picked up a few veg, and went back to his house. We made uppuma, beans curry, coconut rice, aloo subzi, and kale keerai kootu (with a ton of coconut). There were also some really nice tomatoes in the store, so we had that with some lemon juice and chopped onion. The best part is that he learned REALLY quickly. Once I showed him the popping of the mustard seeds and such, he started to get more comfortable doing the spicing on his own. The first dish, he had me do. By the end, he was confident enough to try it on his own. AND he did that thing I love when someone's learning to cook, which is ask, "Hey, can we add _____ to this?"

A couple of his housemates came by, and he invited them to share in the eating (which they were all to enthusiastic to do). After many plates of food, and laughter, and chatting, he and his housemates were like, "Since you do love Philly so much, please let us know if you want to come crash here. You'll always have a place to stay with us, even if you're not cooking." It blew my mind that people who had just met me a couple of hours ago were inviting me back already. Little did they know that I'd take them up on that offer.

So on the way home, I booked another ticket to Philly for my birthday (and managed to sang $5 fares round trip), and let them know. Now they're all excited to have fresh dosa. If I do manage to find gainful employment in Philly, I'm moving there so fast.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
In happier news, I'm really loving A History of English Food on my iPad. I mention reading it on the iPad, because it has me stopping every few pages to look up a bit of information that gets my mind curious to know more. Clarissa was enormously entertaining on Two Fat Ladies, and her writing is a pleasure to read. I'm not a huge history buff, but this one has me enjoying myself.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Dino, I poke through your post history and seeing that reaffirms my current search for a job in Philly. It's a good place. For good folk.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 3, 2015

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Sextro posted:

Dino, I poke through your post history and seeing that reaffirms my current search for a job in Philly. It's a good place. For good folk.

Dino, your posts have broadened my horizons and by extension, my children's horizons when it comes to food. I would like to thank you for that, honestly! I have followed your posts here and cook some of your recipies for my family and they love it.

We were recently at Disney and my youngest said all of the kid food was "besgusting" but got down on some curried paneer with me. He hated all the fried bland crap and wanted the flavor! Thank you:)

Hurracan
Apr 29, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I was more commenting on the coolness of the resurgence of small scale liquor production. Not the fake small scale stuff like the zillion bourbons, either, but small houses taking chances and doing cool new things.

Rogue Ales, based in Newport, Oregon, has a distillery called Rogue Spirits, and because production is still so small in its infancy, they aren't available even in Eugene, which is less than two hours away. I'll be making time for a tasting next time I'm there.

Established brewers and vintners dabbling in distilling is a fantastic trend and really creates special local texture.

There's an independent in Monroe called Hard Times Distillery that has had enough success to get at least one variety, their wasabi vodka, into state liquor stores. They make an apple-pie sort of moonshine called Appleshine that I am absolutely in love with, though.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Hurracan posted:

Rogue Ales, based in Newport, Oregon, has a distillery called Rogue Spirits, and because production is still so small in its infancy, they aren't available even in Eugene, which is less than two hours away. I'll be making time for a tasting next time I'm there.

I don't know about that. Their spirits are/were relatively easy to find in Portland, although that may be due to them having a physical establishment there as well, and not that difficult to find down in southern CA if you go to most Bevmos or Total Wines. I think it has more to do with how Oregon controls their liquor sales than how much they are producing. Ransom Spirits in Sheridan makes my current favorite gin, Their version of Old Tom Gin. They even age it in oak barrels from their vineyard (although that might have changed, but they still use barrels from somewhere). Delicious.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Roxy Rouge posted:

Dino, your posts have broadened my horizons and by extension, my children's horizons when it comes to food. I would like to thank you for that, honestly! I have followed your posts here and cook some of your recipies for my family and they love it.

We were recently at Disney and my youngest said all of the kid food was "besgusting" but got down on some curried paneer with me. He hated all the fried bland crap and wanted the flavor! Thank you:)
:kimchi:

That's adorable on so many levels. I know the Florida Disney has decent restaurants, but you have to kind of look for them. The typical fare is utter crap.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

GUYS. I DID IT. I GOT THE HOOKS 10/15/20 YEAR CHEESE TASTING. HOLY gently caress.

:snoop: :eyepop: :catdrugs:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
There's a rad as gently caress 5 year Gouda from Denmark I've been getting at work lately. So loving good, unfffff.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

So Casu did the cheese taste good.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Looks like 20/yo bricks of Kraft cheeze.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

El Jebus posted:

I don't know about that. Their spirits are/were relatively easy to find in Portland, although that may be due to them having a physical establishment there as well, and not that difficult to find down in southern CA if you go to most Bevmos or Total Wines. I think it has more to do with how Oregon controls their liquor sales than how much they are producing. Ransom Spirits in Sheridan makes my current favorite gin, Their version of Old Tom Gin. They even age it in oak barrels from their vineyard (although that might have changed, but they still use barrels from somewhere). Delicious.

Yea I'm pretty sure I can get a few Rogue spirits in central coast CA. There is a winery in Paso Robles, Villicana, that runs a distillery, Re:Find. I'm curious how widely available they are. They use sagnee, the juice bled from wine before the wine is finished, to make vodka and gin. They also have a nice rye made from local brewers' mash, a limoncello, and a cucumber liqueur. It's honestly not my favorite vodka or gin (the grape lends an odd viscosity and the gin is heavy on lavender) but they mix well and it's just pretty drat cool. Plus they're super nice and taking a tour is a treat.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I used to be able to get rogue whiskey and gin in New York, and since they have to be able to supply the whole state (in theory), they're definitely out there.

The spirits are trash, but I'm sure it took anchor a few years to get it right, too.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I tried Rogue whiskey at a bar in Ohio, though it was the kind of bar where the owner might have just brought some back after a vacation or something.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Rogue makes lovely beer and treats their staff like poo poo. Don't drink Rogue.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

a worthy uhh posted:

Rogue makes lovely beer and treats their staff like poo poo. Don't drink Rogue.

This 100%

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

That ad reads like the plot to Animal Farm.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ahahaha, what a bunch of pretentious pricks. :laffo:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That posting pisses me off so much. gently caress.

There is nothing about brewing beer that makes you a rebel, or helps the common good, or does any of those other things that they say they do. It gets people drunk. Which is fine. But don't pretend you're curing cancer or improving the social order by making loving beer. gently caress.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

How anybody would expect to get somebody capable of doing that for <$50k, in Portland no less, is mind boggling.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Penny Arcade had something similarly terrible a while ago, but they probably got someone who was all in love with the thought of working there

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/9887522?trk=feed-cmpy-fol-jobt&goback=.bzo_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_penny*5arcade*5inc*3

quote:

Job description
**** PLEASE NOTE: YOU HAVE UNTIL DECEMBER 20, 2013 AT 9:00 PM PST TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION. PLEASE FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER AT @RKHOO FOR UPDATES IN CASE EMAIL GETS SENT TO SPAM FOLDERS, ETC. ****

Given our audience and the job at hand, this could potentially be the most competitive position we ever hire for. We're looking for a web developer / software developer / sys admin to join our small family. We’re a team of 15-20 people that essentially run Penny Arcade proper, the online store, our fulfillment center, the PAX shows, Child’s Play, PATV, and a bunch of other smaller things that no one ever hears about. We rely heavily on outside partners and vendors, but as far as managing and helping run/deploy the technical infrastructure to most of the things we do, we rely on one person. That person is you.

So yes, we run lean. Most of us would say maybe a little TOO lean, but being pushed to your limit is part of the job. I'm not saying that to try and scare you away OR impress you, but it's in both of our best interests to understand and set expectations properly. If you have boundless energy and desire to work on both creative AND sometimes tedious work but in an environment that just might change your life, perhaps this is the opportunity for you.

We are quite literally looking for a person that can do four jobs: Web Development, Software Development, Sys Admin, and the (dreaded) GENERAL IT for us here that need help configuring a firewall for a dev kit, etc. Sorry, I know that’s the WORST, but it’s absolutely part of the gig.

So yeah, we know that’s a lot to ask of a person, but all of us here work tremendously hard to do a lot of things, and if you’d like to be at the technical epicenter of it all and don’t mind having a really bad sense of work-life balance, this is the job for you.

Desired Skills and Experience
General Requirements

- You need to have a crazy-person level of attention to detail.

- Strong project management skills, organizational skills and time-management skills.

- A motivated self-starter who can overcome or workaround issues independently.

- Flexibility to travel up to 30% of the time.

- You should have no problems working in a creative and potentially offensive environment.

- Flexibility adapting to deadlines, changing schedules, priorities and unpredictable events in a fast paced environment.

- The ability to communicate and work well in a team environment as well as on an individual basis.

- Must have the ability to prioritize tasks and balance the immediate and long term needs.

- You should have no problem appearing on camera.

- It’s rarely we call on it, but if something breaks in the middle of the night, you are expected to be on call to address that issue 24/7.

Some things you should know about this job.

We’re terrible at work-life balance. Although work is pretty much your life, we do our absolute best to make sure that work is as awesome as possible so you at least enjoy each and every day here.

And here are some other things we’re using to weed people out. It’s not fair. I know. Life’s not fair.

- A BA/BS or greater degree in Computer Science or a related field

- A minimum of 3 years in development and project management, preferably in a professional workplace

- Strong experience in PHP, MySQL, Javascript (jQuery and AJAX), CSS, Apache

- Strong experience in one of Java, Python, Ruby, or other object-oriented language

- A history of running and configuring multiple-server environments, including load balancers, web accelerators/caching systems, and databases

- A history of running and configuring multiple server environments, load balancers, and varnish.

- You should probably be a fan of Penny Arcade. Probably. Yeah.

COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:

- Annual Salary: Negotiable, but you should know up front we’re not a terribly money-motivated group. We’re more likely to spend less money on salary and invest that on making your day-to-day life at work better.

- Full Medical, Vision and Dental

- 401k (SEP) retirement contributions (2% of annual income per year)

- Holiday pay

- Periodic bonuses

- Flexible vacation time

- We're willing to relocate you if need be

Send me your resume via the linked in system. If you don't submit your resume, I won't look at your application. Sorry - I gotta streamline the process.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Penny Arcade had something similarly terrible a while ago, but they probably got someone who was all in love with the thought of working there

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/9887522?trk=feed-cmpy-fol-jobt&goback=.bzo_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_penny*5arcade*5inc*3

They don't sound like they have their heads nearly as far up their own asses as the jerkwads in that other ad. Still, they should be looking to hire at least four people for the work they need done there, one person is just gonna burn out in three months tops with all that poo poo on their plate.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

lol this is so loving disgusting

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ya you know, i just come to this place and do all this work for literally most of my waking life while helping jackasses fix their printers RIGHT loving NOW

i do it to shun personal financial success

its kind of fun

im a rogue...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In a stricter literary sense of the word (i.e. according to the actual meaning when used for describing a character archetype) a rogue will probably just drink and whore a lot while doing nothing productive for anyone.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Places like that do a great service by keeping actual professionals from wasting their time sending a resume.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I love how they list a bunch of corporate slogans that are 'banned' yet they embody the pretentious aspects of every new-age valley business. These assholes probably sit in a circle on pillows during their meetings. REVOLUTION pillows. Guarantee the guy writing that ad makes significantly more than the $50k he's not willing to provide for someone doing a job likely more difficult than his.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 4, 2015

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Pretty sure the majority of businesses in the craft brew/distillation industry function off the backs of passionate and stupid young people. That is certainly the way the specialty coffee industry functions, and I would imagine in restaurants too.

E: let me tell you about coffee shop management/ownership as a fad for early-retired wealthy folk.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 4, 2015

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
I don't have a food scale that goes below 100g. What do you think is ~10 grams of sodium citrate in teaspoons?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

indoflaven posted:

I don't have a food scale that goes below 100g. What do you think is ~10 grams of sodium citrate in teaspoons?

A teaspoon of sodium citrate is between 5 and 6 grams.

Get a tiny scale though!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Sextro posted:

Pretty sure the majority of businesses in the craft brew/distillation industry function off the backs of passionate and stupid young people. That is certainly the way the specialty coffee industry functions, and I would imagine in restaurants too.

E: let me tell you about coffee shop management/ownership as a fad for early-retired wealthy folk.

Yea, but when I was in my early 20's I would have jumped at that add. I did spend those years making sub 30k working for a series of tiny rear end theatres. I bet that IT job has a much lower chance of getting mangled by a table saw then my old gigs.

I firmly believe that one's 20's should be spend doing something cool that facilitates having a general awesome loving time. Retirement is wasted on the old.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

bunnielab posted:

Yea, but when I was in my early 20's I would have jumped at that add. I did spend those years making sub 30k working for a series of tiny rear end theatres. I bet that IT job has a much lower chance of getting mangled by a table saw then my old gigs.

I firmly believe that one's 20's should be spend doing something cool that facilitates having a general awesome loving time. Retirement is wasted on the old.

Fair enough, but an IT job in a *really cool environment!* is going to be performing basically the same job functions on a day-in day-out basis as an IT job anywhere, except the other one will be less work and pay 2x as much, if not more.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

rj54x posted:

Fair enough, but an IT job in a *really cool environment!* is going to be performing basically the same job functions on a day-in day-out basis as an IT job anywhere, except the other one will be less work and pay 2x as much, if not more.

Yeah, this job should be paying insanely more, especially in portland.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

A teaspoon of sodium citrate is between 5 and 6 grams.

Get a tiny scale though!

Yep. This is the one I have. $10 shipped if you have Prime.

http://smile.amazon.com/American-Weigh-0-01g-Digital-Scale/dp/B0012LOQUQ/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Do you really need hundredths of a gram though? I got this other one that does tenths of a gram up to 1000g, seemed like a more useful range...
http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-AWS-1KG-BLK-Signature-Digital/dp/B002SC3LLS/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1433450465&sr=1-2

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

rj54x posted:

Eh, in my personal experience doing entertainment/event stuff, the exact same work can be "worth" a completely different amount of money depending on the environment. poo poo, I still occasionally do stagehand gigs at places that pay less then half my normal rate just because they are easy, enjoyable places to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Do you really need hundredths of a gram though? I got this other one that does tenths of a gram up to 1000g, seemed like a more useful range...
http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-AWS-1KG-BLK-Signature-Digital/dp/B002SC3LLS/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1433450465&sr=1-2

I only use it for chemicals, and I never need so much of something that I bump against the weight limit.