Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So. Which of the might and magic games are worth playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

From the DOS games? 4+5. The later Windows stuff? 7 by a wide margin.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Xenonauts is great and worth playing if you end up getting it. It's X-COM with higher resolution graphics, a better UI, and some of the silly stuff fixed (i.e. selling laser rifles for money).

Man, that wasn't silly. That was just X-COM becoming a self sustaining organisation. Also an organisation that had hundreds of soldiers equipped with flying powered armour, toting plasma weapons and man-portable guided fusion bomb launchers, flying around in spacecraft that could reach anywhere on earth in hours.

I rarely bothered going to Mars. The aliens (and the world governments) knew X-COM was in charge.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

double nine posted:

So. Which of the might and magic games are worth playing?

HOMM3 or bust.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Can I pre-order the witcher expansion and get credit towards the sale thing?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mortimer posted:

Can I pre-order the witcher expansion and get credit towards the sale thing?

Yup, just did this and got two free games.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Homm3/mm7 for sure

Also lol if you didnt like selling laser rifles for money

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

scamtank posted:

From the DOS games? 4+5. The later Windows stuff? 7 by a wide margin.

That might be a bit harsh on 6, although 7 is generally the better of the two. 8 is.. Okay, but having played 6 and 7 beforehand makes it pale in comparison.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah. 6 and 8 aren't too far behind, really. I guess the fact that 7 was my first really rubs the Mandate of Heaven's "I'm a prototype" thing in my face.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

scamtank posted:

Yeah. 6 and 8 aren't too far behind, really. I guess the fact that 7 was my first really rubs the Mandate of Heaven's "I'm a prototype" thing in my face.

It also sports Arcomage, no such luck in 6!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

7 becomes a slog after you pick a side, because both faction cities are technically dungeons where the most fun spells, like Fly, don't work.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009
Turned down sales for about a year ... and here I am in the gutter again.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's very important that everyone buy System Shock 2 for 99p if they don't already own it: http://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_2

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I always want to play it but never get round to it. Similar to Deus Ex, it is both old and accompanied by numerous lists of suggested mods and fan patches.

How approachable is it for a complete first timer? How is it as a new experience in 2015 not fuelled in any way by nostalgia from when it first came out?
Deus Ex and SS2 are two cyberpunk classics I missed out on and it seems that getting into them now is... well, it feels like everyone who loved them way back when will push for newcomers to play them, but as a novel experience for someone nowadays... maybe just not such a realistic thing?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

I always want to play it but never get round to it. Similar to Deus Ex, it is both old and accompanied by numerous lists of suggested mods and fan patches.

You don't need any mods or fan patches for Deus Ex or System Shock 2.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

BadAstronaut posted:

How approachable is it for a complete first timer?
The game seems massive at first but gradually grows more linear, and the complex list of weapon skills breaks down into "the almighty assault rifle" vs. "gimmick poo poo weapon/psi runs".

It has good sound design and oppressive atmosphere even now, but looks as gently caress ugly as it always has.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

You really don't need a single mod to play System Shock 2 or Deus Ex. They're both improved by their respective fan patches (SCP for sshock2 and biomod for Deus Ex) as well as HD texture/model packs but none of that is required to play the games. If you don't want to gently caress around with installing texture/model packs, both SCP and biomod are trivial to install and improve their respective games, so they come recommended.

BadAstronaut posted:

How approachable is it for a complete first timer? How is it as a new experience in 2015 not fuelled in any way by nostalgia from when it first came out?
Deus Ex and SS2 are two cyberpunk classics I missed out on and it seems that getting into them now is... well, it feels like everyone who loved them way back when will push for newcomers to play them, but as a novel experience for someone nowadays... maybe just not such a realistic thing?

They're both completely fine. Deus Ex probably holds up slightly better because the sshock2 weapon degradation is a bit of a weird mechanic, but they've bothed aged very well gameplay-wise and are both absolutely worth playing, since they're two of the best PC games ever made.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

That's the thing - everyone says they are two of the best ever.

What is the best way possible to experience them - and I don't need to be a purist. If there is something that removes an annoying mechanic or a good hi-res texture pack then I am all for those.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I personally think SS2 holds up better than Deus Ex, as it's generally a lot less complex and open-ended. There are weird systems in there for sure, but that's true for Deus Ex as well, and just the process of moving from point to point on the ship and exploring is more exciting to me today than the pseudo-stealth stuff in Deus Ex, because Thief always did that much better in my mind.

Rebirth and SHTUP are the most notable graphics mods.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

That's the thing - everyone says they are two of the best ever.

What is the best way possible to experience them - and I don't need to be a purist. If there is something that removes an annoying mechanic or a good hi-res texture pack then I am all for those.

For sshock 2:

SCP, as mentioned.
SHTUP (HD textures, link to a SCP-compatible version is in the SCP post)

If you like, everything else in the OP here (all of the mods I just mentioned are there) https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4447.0, plus vurt's hi-res space textures: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4135. Everything except SCP is just beautifying mods to make the game look slightly less rear end.

For Deus Ex:

biomod
Deus Exe http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/ (I think the GOG version has Deus Exe pre-included)

If you want to make it look less like rear end:
HDTP http://www.moddb.com/mods/project-hdtp
New Vision http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-vision

ss2 needs a modloader and needs you to make sure your load order works, Deus Ex just requires you to install all of it together.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 4, 2015

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Am I the only person who prefers the regular System Shock 2 enemies to the Rebirth mod ones? The Rebirth ones are much clearer, but the actual art seems worse.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

Am I the only person who prefers the regular System Shock 2 enemies to the Rebirth mod ones? The Rebirth ones are much clearer, but the actual art seems worse.

Yeah, I'm with you for the most part. I think some of the new ones look better, but mostly it doesn't really fit the aesthetic of the game. As I recall someone specifically made a modded midwife that looks closer to the original which looks pretty awesome.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

You need New Dark for System Shock 2 to be remotely playable on new systems, the digital versions sold on Steam and GOG have an older version bundled in so it will work out of the box. Deus Ex, you need Kenties renderers for because otherwise you'll have missing graphical effects and the game runs at about 4x speed.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
JT0EAD47C8C109 Surprise game!

EDIT : it's xenonauts

LastCaress fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 4, 2015

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

LastCaress posted:

JT0EAD47C8C109 Surprise game!

Claimed it! Thanks!

I don't think my current laptop can run Xenonauts unfortunately, though it might!

By way of paying it forward, here are the rest of my Duke Nukem 3D codes:
SN2P-57PV-2EYZ-24E8
MK7G-6RWC-NZFG-FDQM
NRK4-K3NH-XSEU-6FYN
YCZV-NEVS-NQX4-P27Y

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Sim City 2000 code:

YTB1430AD93A1F

double nine fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 4, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

double nine posted:

Sim City 2000 code:

YTB1430AD93A1F

I took this. I'll build a city and then watch it burn. :unsmigghh:

edit: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is only $3.60AU and you should all go buy it.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 4, 2015

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I took this. I'll build a city and then watch it burn. :unsmigghh:

edit: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is only $3.60AU and you should all go buy it.

That's the special edition upgrade. The full game is around $8 but you should still get it!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Anyone try serpents in the staglands yet? The intro was pretty good but I have no idea what to do after or even if I gimped my dude on creation. Is there any good starting tips?

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I've already got it so have another Simcity 2000 code.

YT481785A5C8F8 GONE!

Geekslinger fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 4, 2015

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I'm not going to play it so here's a SimCity 2000 code for anyone who wants it

YT0547A84E7704

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

Geekslinger posted:

I've already got it so have another Simcity 2000 code.

YT481785A5C8F8
I got this, thanks. Now I don't need to buy Cities: Skylines!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Nurge posted:

I'm not going to play it so here's a SimCity 2000 code for anyone who wants it

YT0547A84E7704

Thanks.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Definitely recommend Vanishing of Ethan Carter at that price.

Also has anyone played Consortium, or Spacecom? I'm seeing they're on sale today but have no idea if they're any good. Trying to scratch a sci-fi itch.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

macnbc posted:

Also has anyone played Consortium, or Spacecom? I'm seeing they're on sale today but have no idea if they're any good. Trying to scratch a sci-fi itch.

Consortium is pretty good. Lots of branching paths, lots of ways to handle situations. Best "1 room game" I've played. (It takes place on a plane.)

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Here is another SimCity 2000 key YT49E2CB5FC646

postcapt
Feb 27, 2011

Goetta posted:

Here is another SimCity 2000 key YT49E2CB5FC646

Thanks!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

macnbc posted:

I really enjoyed Consortium. Standard caveats for that game are: 1) don't respond as the character with in-character knowledge, respond as yourself without that knowledge 2) it ends on a cliffhanger but they're working on a sequel.

Longhouse
Nov 8, 2010

Chill out, dog
Here's another code for SimCity 2000, if there's anyone interested: edit: going, going, gone!

Longhouse fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

macnbc posted:

I can vouch for Consortium. It's Star Trek: TNG on an airplane mixed with a Mass Effecty dialogues and a sub par shooter. It's more of an COYA than either a shooter or an RPG though. Lot's of branching and heavily plot focused. It was really buggy for a long time and I had a few gamebreaking bugs when I played but it's apparently been fixed since. Unfortunately it ends on a cliffhanger and the second part is not yet out and I wouldn't trust it getting made too soon. It's listed as "Crowdfunding in 2015" on the devs site.

General Emergency fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 4, 2015