Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
They look cool and so do evolved sectoids. Really looking forward to seeing what other new or revamped foes we'll be facing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

speaking of the snakes, I think they look really cool

I like how their jaws unhinge :kiddo:

lewd

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
RE: MEC/Alien Tech talk:

Just because "in this storyline" (I hate saying this god damnit) "XCOM didn't acquire alien tech" doesn't me we won't do that in the course of the game. It's just a tech reset so you can, again, start with low tech and work your way up. MEC were a technology you acquired in EW, the same could happen in XCOM2. If we don't have MEC it's because they didn't want us to.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Theyre gonna have to find a way to reset all tech with every new game or else we'll start with mechsuits and plasma right off the bat and just blow the aliens away

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Zzulu posted:

speaking of the snakes, I think they look really cool

I like how their jaws unhinge :kiddo:

I know what you mean. :quagmire:

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
So after coming down with the flu, and not wanting an unfinished game to wind up as XCOM-2 I've resurrected a Bronze-Man Insanity playthrough of The Long War.

After spending the better part of two hours getting my poo poo kicked in on a covert extraction by Exalt, trying over and over again until I was sure I failed, I gave up.

Well, gave up on on getting the data at least.

I evac'ed the AO with the operative, my guys, and my tail between my legs.

I felt like a goddamn failure - I killed 19 of the fuckers on my way out, which apparently was "Poor".

Poor.

gently caress you Long war.

But I made it out - sure the Operative was gravely wounded and out of action for the next month, and yeah I didn't have the intel, but I didn't lose a man and I learned a valuable lesson.

So when the next operation came around, I had a new team ready:

I present to you, "Team Handlebar".

I got fifty something screenshots which I'm happy to upload, if anyones keen I'll do a write up.

But for now:

:stonk:

:getin:

Rougey fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jun 4, 2015

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
In the same vein as RULES OF SNAKE TITS, someone dub It Has To Be This Way over the Ubertherial fight.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fifth class: Militiaman. Upside: Cheap as dirt to recruit (you get a bunch for free every month, depending on notable successes and advertising budget). Downside: Terrible.
Special equipment option: Explosive vest.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

GruntyThrst posted:

If loving snake tits is wrong then I don't want to be right. Do you think viper-senpai will notice me if I get gene therapy?
What if you got gene therapy and became the snake tits

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Advent Citizen's Journal:

I found out where my friend went today. Some Advent soldiers knocked on my door before dawn, and asked me to enter an unmarked van, then took me to a large building on the north east side of the city. We entered an elevator, almost completely bare on the inside, all I knew is it was going down, and it was a long trip.

The soldiers didn't come with me outside the elevator, I was handed off to one of those weird pink smooth man-things. He introduced himself as Glup Glup, and let me know that due to my 'superior genetics' that I was a prime candidate for new modifications that will be rolled out in a few months. I'm happy to do my part, but I wish I could get access to a telephone or something. I was brought to a small, but cozy room.
-----
Three months later:

Every day I get some sort of medical test done on me: fluid samples, physical and endurance tests - its not so bad. I hope someone is feeding my pet dog. Glup Glup is quite a guy! I taught him how to play ping pong :). Doesn't have good taste in beer though, but no matter. I found out tomorrow that I have a 'special test' so no drinking tonight, I hope I do a good job!
-----
Next day:

So they said that they're going to use 'more direct' methods of testing. I'm kind of nervous, but Glup Glup assured me its nothing too bad - I need to cut this off, he's knocking on my door now.
-----
30 minutes later:

Welp. I have to gently caress a snake.

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case

ProfessorBooty posted:

Welp. I get to gently caress a snake.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GruntyThrst posted:

If loving snake tits is wrong then I don't want to be right. Do you think viper-senpai will notice me if I get gene therapy?

Well, maybe. But you know what I heard she was really into? This is weird, but I hear she's really into these cool new vests. The ones with all the wires and the red LED display.

I've got one right here, if you want one. Just go up to her, and ignore the beeping.

I'm rooting for you!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I have to say, it feels a bit weird to play a literal terrorist. No matter how sinister and human experimenty and unjust the alien government is, starting a firefight in a crowded area with civilians in the line of fire feels kind of... evil? The trailer makes me feel like XCOM is the bad guy.

Maybe I just don't hate Xenos enough to appreciate it.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Clarste posted:

I have to say, it feels a bit weird to play a literal terrorist. No matter how evil and human experimenty and unjust the alien government is, starting a firefight in a crowded area with civilians in the line of fire feels kind of... evil? The trailer makes me feel like XCOM is the bad guy.

Death to the infidels and collaborators!

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Well, you know what they say...

One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Clarste posted:

I have to say, it feels a bit weird to play a literal terrorist. No matter how sinister and human experimenty and unjust the alien government is, starting a firefight in a crowded area with civilians in the line of fire feels kind of... evil? The trailer makes me feel like XCOM is the bad guy.

Given how many civilians I always end up killing with explosives anyway I don't think it'd make that big of a difference really. :v:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

It's supposed to take you out of your comfort zone, because you've grown up in an era where you've been told terrorism is wrong and only bad people do it and it ultimately only makes the whole suffer.

XCOM2 is kinda putting you in the same footsteps as the terrorists our governments have taught us to fear, with even similar lofty goals. There's no guarantee we will even see things go well even if we do "win". There's possibly plenty of people living in decent safety and comfort with the alien technology that is both making them feel well and complacent.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

It's supposed to take you out of your comfort zone, because you've grown up in an era where you've been told terrorism is wrong and only bad people do it and it ultimately only makes the whole suffer.

XCOM2 is kinda putting you in the same footsteps as the terrorists our governments have taught us to fear, with even similar lofty goals. There's no guarantee we will even see things go well even if we do "win". There's possibly plenty of people living in decent safety and comfort with the alien technology that is both making them feel well and complacent.

I have to admit that terrorist apologism was not something I expected when I posted that. Just because I can imagine a worldview where violence against innocents is justified doesn't mean I have to respect that worldview.

Frankly, this feels closer to propaganda for the kind of patriotic racism that exists all over the world anyway. Which, arguably, comes from the same perspectives as terrorism, but doesn't really require the target audience to be taken outside their comfort zone. Thinking "the other guys are all violent savages who deserve to die" is not unique to terrorists, and condoning that attitude rubs me the wrong way. The absolute worst lesson anyone can take from this that "violence is always okay as long as I believe I'm right."

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...

Clarste posted:

Radical methods are necessary, brother.

I quite appreciated how the Sharpshooter pauses on the civilian with her scope before targeting the ADVENT. I was kind of expecting it to be this entirely dark the-ends-justify-the-means collaborator hunt where XCOM's pulling no punches to wake up the sheeple.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rougey posted:

I got fifty something screenshots which I'm happy to upload, if anyones keen I'll do a write up.

Please tell me the legend of handlebars. :magical:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
All I hope for is giant robots, and a class that can play the role of generic infantry a la Long War. Just a dude with a rifle, good at shooting folks.

Despite all the fancy tech and face-stabbing techniques, the core of a squad for my playstyle is two or more dudes who know how to put rounds downrange.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's not racism if they're literally an alien race.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
If the fifth class is an infantry type there's not much reason to hold back it's reveal. The class itself makes sense but I think it might do something exciting they're waiting to show off until later.

Clarste posted:

I have to admit that terrorist apologism was not something I expected when I posted that. Just because I can imagine a worldview where violence against innocents is justified doesn't mean I have to respect that worldview.

Frankly, this feels closer to propaganda for the kind of patriotic racism that exists all over the world anyway. Which, arguably, comes from the same perspectives as terrorism, but doesn't really require the target audience to be taken outside their comfort zone. Thinking "the other guys are all violent savages who deserve to die" is not unique to terrorists, and condoning that attitude rubs me the wrong way. The absolute worst lesson anyone can take from this that "violence is always okay as long as I believe I'm right."

Go play Deus Ex. No, really.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 4, 2015

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Sounds like Xeno-sympathisers in this here thread.

"He who allows the alien to live shares in the crime of its existence."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Segmentation Fault posted:

Go play Deus Ex. No, really.

Even if that game portrays the moral ambiguity in an interesting way, that doesn't mean Firaxis will. They're not exactly know for their gripping plots. They've even already said that the entire set-up is just an excuse plot to justify the gameplay they wanted.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

I don't think you have to worry too much about it in a real sense, I don't expect it to go full on Spec Ops: The Line on us, but just provide a different point of view on how it could be seen as a necessary evil.

Clarste posted:

Even if that game portrays the moral ambiguity in an interesting way, that doesn't mean Firaxis will. They're not exactly know for their gripping plots. They've even already said that the entire set-up is just an excuse plot to justify the gameplay they wanted.

Granted, this is true.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Clarste posted:

This whole objection would probably hold more water if they literally weren't disappearing people, gruesomely experimenting on civilians, and turning the entire planet into a series of prisons built to lure the remnants of humanity.

I mean this isn't a difference of ideology or economic policy here.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

In the end, I'm gonna play this game anyway because I enjoy tactical shooting gameplay, I just think the trailer was poorly thought out. What was even the point of that fight? What objective was XCOM trying to accomplish? They just starting shooting for seemingly no reason. They just killed some guards next to a line of people. Even if that line was leading to like, a gas chamber or something equally horrific, they didn't seem to do anything else to stop it. Kill some guards, run away. Go humanity! Hopefully that grenade didn't kill any of the people you were maybe trying to save, vaguely?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
You're freaking out about a game about terrorism coming from a nation founded on terrorism.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Vib Rib posted:

This whole objection would probably hold more water if they literally weren't disappearing people, gruesomely experimenting on civilians, and turning the entire planet into a series of prisons built to lure the remnants of humanity.

I mean this isn't a difference of ideology or economic policy here.

This is what people believe Obama is doing irl

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Pacifism is a noble ideal, but for rhetoric or spiritual appeals to work you must be able to host some sort of honest communication and dialog in good faith and both parties must be willing to reach a compromise.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wales Grey posted:

Pacifism is a noble ideal, but for rhetoric or spiritual appeals to work you must be able to host some sort of honest communication and dialog in good faith and both parties must be willing to reach a compromise.

I'm not talking about pacifism, I'm talking about not opening fire and shooting grenades two feet from a line a civilians, for seemingly no reason whatsoever. In what world is that a good idea? And that's the trailer.

You can fight back all you want, self-defense is legal for a reason, but if you think opening fire in a crowded square is justified then maybe you need to stop and think about what you're protecting.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

You're freaking out about a game about terrorism coming from a nation founded on terrorism.

So, I hear this game has snek teets. Has anyone drawn any pictures of this? Or maybe we could discuss the improbability of mammal glands on a reptile? That sounds like an interesting discussion.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

I'm not talking about pacifism, I'm talking about not opening fire and shooting grenades two feet from a line a civilians, for seemingly no reason whatsoever. In what world is that a good idea? And that's the trailer.

You can fight back all you want, self-defense is legal for a reason, but if you think opening fire in a crowded square is justified then maybe you need to stop and think about what you're protecting.

Atrocity for the sake of atrocity. The authorities clamp down on you in retaliation -> bunch of people get oppressed -> bingo, new recruits!
It's a classic tactic.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Clarste posted:

They're not civilians. They're collaborators. They deserve no restraint from XCOM any more than the next Muton, Sectoid or Chryssalid.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Atrocity for the sake of atrocity. The authorities clamp down on you in retaliation -> bunch of people get oppressed -> bingo, new recruits!
It's a classic tactic.

A sound plan.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Lets wait and see, shall we? Maybe how much innocent blood you spill might directly tie into a "council" mechanic, where enough of it will disgust even the hardest of supporter away from the cause and lead to game over.

E: the more i think about this, the more i like it. Do you take the shot, at the risk of innocents, but possibly killing their viper who is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS? Is it worth the risk?

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 4, 2015

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Rougey posted:

I just can't get over how drat goofy MECs look :/

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Clarste posted:

My Grandfather was a terrorist to the Germans, your dirty xeno, nazi lover. :france: :patriot:

More seriously, don't overthink this. And it's not like they're shooting _at_ civilians. The civs just happen to be near military targets. You know, a bit like when the totally-not-terrorist Harpoon missile launched from a US Navy Ship of Freedom hits a target and you have a dozen or so :airquote: collateral damage :airquote:. It's for the Greater Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

If the fifth class is an infantry type there's not much reason to hold back it's reveal. The class itself makes sense but I think it might do something exciting they're waiting to show off until later.

Yeah, I imagine the Specialist will be the Infantry equivalent, in the sense that Support classes in XCOM1 could serve as generic riflemen with all their Overwatch perks.

Zephro posted:

I just can't get over how drat goofy MECs look :/

Full helmets for MECs, every time. Helps them fulfill their badass potential.

• Locked thread