Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
TIE will probably have more large plates than the x-wing.

Falcon is a bit more expensive than the last one, hope it improves on the last set, which was already pretty good but had some proportion problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

My GF already has the last Falcon but I'm probably in for at least Rey's Speeder, the X-Wing, and the Falcon.

Interesting reveal of an Imperial Snowspeeder. Can't wait to see these sets

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really hope they make a new window piece for the x wing.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Tomorrow's a holiday but I will ring up the local lego store Asap on Friday. If they still have an Ecto set I'll ask them to reserve it for me to pick up.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

NESguerilla posted:

I really hope they make a new window piece for the x wing.

NEVER! They figured it out in the days of the old republic, they ain't changing it now

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

Pirate Ken posted:

While set is there now. Might buy it just for those Chinese food containers

It the two white boards for me. Particularly the left one since it's from their pictionary game night.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I sat down to start putting together MetalBeard's Sea Cow and this is my first page of the massive instruction book

It goes from page 2 to 19, skipping everything in between and it looks like I have two sets of pages from pg19 through pg34. I have had individual pieces missing before but never pages from the instruction book. Looks like a binding error when the book was produced, I assume this is something Lego will replace?

Rythe fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 4, 2015

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Rythe posted:

I sat down to start putting together MetalBeard's Sea Cow and this is my first page of the massive instruction book

It goes from page 2 to 19, skipping everything in between and it looks like I have two sets of pages from pg19 through pg34. I have had individual pieces missing before but never pages from the instruction book. Looks like a binding error when the book was produced, I assume this is something Lego will replace?

Yeah, I had the same issue once where a few pages were repeated, cutting out a chunk of instructions. Check their support page for replacement instructions (they even have a database of PDF versions so you can still build it in the meantime!) and they'll happily mail you a replacement free of charge.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Rythe posted:

"Here ya go, kid. Good luck. "

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I've been lurking this thread for ages now because even though I don't actually play with my Lego any more I still love the stuff. I'm glad I never sold it, I stored all of it away for my eventual kids or myself.

A while ago a good BTTF Delorean was posted here, either improved on the Lego set or a full custom design. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?
BTTF is probably my favorite movie franchise and to decorate my new place I want to to pick up the upcoming universe/game minisets and supplement it with a proper Lego Delorean.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Dogen posted:

Well I got my Shuttle Tydirium. It is pretty great, probably the one must buy summer 2015 SW set (if you don't have the UCS one, which I don't). I don't really like how the underside of the starboard and port wings look since you have to look at them all the time as there is no good way to display it in flight mode, but I don't really see a way around it at this scale.

The minifigs are great, the cockpit design is smart, I like the included weapons crate and rack (both of which are connected by only a stud or two, so easy to remove). The weapons pods are cool and the spring shooters aren't too exposed. I don't remember shuttles being so well armed, especially the rear guns. Also the engine exhaust area is well done with nice curves.

Edit: pics of the Sith Infiltrator. Guess it's real. Looks a lot better than the most recent one...

http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-star-wars-sith-infiltrator-75096-official-image/

I've been thinking of getting the Tydirium, but the semi-ugly wings are a sticking point. I was thinking of ordering a ton of inverted tiles from Bricklink to cover them, but those apparently only come in 2x2 for white so I'm not sure what you could do to fix it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Your other option is to build a mount/stand so you have it sit with the wings open. Kinda tempted to do that myself because it looks way better that way.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

After studying it for a while I can see why they made some of the choices they did on the wing undersides to try and look more like the ship, but at first glance it's off-putting.

I think it makes up for this flaw in the play features and minifig selection, but if you aren't into actually playing with your legos it's probably not as strong a set.

Oxyclean posted:

Your other option is to build a mount/stand so you have it sit with the wings open. Kinda tempted to do that myself because it looks way better that way.

I'm going to my parents' house this weekend and I think I am going to grab my old monorail track supports for this purpose.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I hate BBT but I think I might have to buy that set purely because I love the design of the apartment.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Dogen posted:

Well I got my Shuttle Tydirium. It is pretty great, probably the one must buy summer 2015 SW set (if you don't have the UCS one, which I don't). I don't really like how the underside of the starboard and port wings look since you have to look at them all the time as there is no good way to display it in flight mode, but I don't really see a way around it at this scale.

The minifigs are great, the cockpit design is smart, I like the included weapons crate and rack (both of which are connected by only a stud or two, so easy to remove). The weapons pods are cool and the spring shooters aren't too exposed. I don't remember shuttles being so well armed, especially the rear guns. Also the engine exhaust area is well done with nice curves.

Edit: pics of the Sith Infiltrator. Guess it's real. Looks a lot better than the most recent one...

http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-star-wars-sith-infiltrator-75096-official-image/

At least the center wing is brick built. I got Palpatine's shuttle from RotS. While it uses two "stacks" of plates with a center support in the middle, you end up with studs on the port side and holes on the starboard. Though I'd had a feeling about that considering there were no promo shots of the starboard when it was released. It looks only okay from the port because of the same folding wing issue, but completely unfinished from the other side.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah it's also super sturdy and can easily be picked up by the dorsal wing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's a really ugly looking ship. What is that even from? I don't remember it at all.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Darth Maul's ship from Ep I. I think there is only one or two shots of it: flying to Tattooine and landing.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!
Got my Palace Cinema from Lego shop at home, but they said the pet shop would take a bit longer.

You guys also made me panic buy an Ecto-1 for 49 shipped from ebay.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

So MetalBeard's Sea Cow is a little nuts already, I have never had a set where the first 4 bags are nothing but accessories and mini figs. I can not wait to get started on the model itself, then worry about finding a spot to put it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Rythe posted:

So MetalBeard's Sea Cow is a little nuts already, I have never had a set where the first 4 bags are nothing but accessories and mini figs. I can not wait to get started on the model itself, then worry about finding a spot to put it.

And never, ever move it, because it's oddly fragile for its bulk. Any time I have to dust around it, I have to take off Metalbeard, take off the main sail/stack assembly, and still be careful about where I put my hands when I go to pick it up. It's a great set but I can't imagine actually "playing" with it.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Is there a site that tells you what the retail price of a set was? I've been browsing craigslist and can't tell if some people trying to offload retired modulars are being reasonable or trying to rip people off. (Specifically Grand Emporium and Town Hall)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ChesterJT posted:

Is there a site that tells you what the retail price of a set was? I've been browsing craigslist and can't tell if some people trying to offload retired modulars are being reasonable or trying to rip people off. (Specifically Grand Emporium and Town Hall)

Brickset lists MSRPs for all the sets.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

NESguerilla posted:

That's a really ugly looking ship. What is that even from? I don't remember it at all.

The wings fold out to make it look like Vader's TIE Advanced (sort of) because, you know, they have to hint at the original trilogy as much as possible

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

ChesterJT posted:

secondary market for lego is pretty nuts. Market value is very different than original retail value, so I don't think you could say someone asking the going rate for a set is trying to "rip people off". Like watching those shows where pickers go to someone's house and buy something from someone for 10 bucks then sell it for 2000. I feel bad for the guy that only got the 10 bucks. Same as if I sold a town hall for 150 when I could get 500 for it.

Speaking of this whole phenomena of Lego retiring sets and the sets going up astronomically (the UCS Super star destroyer was retired and in 2 days ebay prices had jumped 200 bucks), is this going to finally die down as lego gets into more properties and keeps making way more stuff?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Bushifox posted:

secondary market for lego is pretty nuts. Market value is very different than original retail value, so I don't think you could say someone asking the going rate for a set is trying to "rip people off". Like watching those shows where pickers go to someone's house and buy something from someone for 10 bucks then sell it for 2000. I feel bad for the guy that only got the 10 bucks. Same as if I sold a town hall for 150 when I could get 500 for it.

Speaking of this whole phenomena of Lego retiring sets and the sets going up astronomically (the UCS Super star destroyer was retired and in 2 days ebay prices had jumped 200 bucks), is this going to finally die down as lego gets into more properties and keeps making way more stuff?

Don't count on it. Small print runs + popularity = obscene collector's market. While it's unlikely that a $30 Star Wars kit from 2012 is going to jump to $70 even a year after it's discontinued, it's still happening to new sets. Expensive sets get small runs because not many people are willing to pay $350, or even $200, for a Lego set. Small, popular sets don't always get big print runs, like Lego Ideas (Research Institute and Curiosity, for example). Lego's caught on a bit, and some sets have very long print runs that help defuse the secondary market. Modulars used to only last a year on the shelf or so before being retired, and now we're looking at several years apiece. The AFOL and collector's market wasn't very big back when Market Street and Cafe Corner were released, so there are legitimately far fewer of those out there than the Pet Shop. And the collectors themselves have diluted the market--see the goon who bought like 21 UCS B-Wings. It was discontinued in November 2013 with a MSRP of $200. Its current average price on Bricklink? $210. The $400 Death Star was introduced in 2008; I think that may be one of the longest print runs in Lego history. Despite some bizarre sales on bricklink for hundreds more than retail, I don't expect it to shoot up in price when it's finally discontinued.

Plus, there will never be an end to sellers trying to gouge. What counts is what things are actually selling for, not what they're being listed at. I doubt this guy selling 9 B-Wings for $500 apiece on bricklink will be moving them any time soon.

I expected the SSD to jump in price because most people couldn't drop $400 on it, so circulation was low. I expect the Helicarrier to follow suit. Tower Bridge and the Opera House may fall into that category, but the secondary market isn't as demanding, so they'll probably see a gradual increase like the earlier modulars.

You can actually get lots of common sets from the last 20 years for close to MSRP, as long as you aren't looking for the 'grail' sets collectors and people coming out of their dark ages want.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I got 10 b-wings when they were clearancing them for a hundred each, and I'd be perfectly happy getting 200ish a pop for them. If they go up, so much the bettter, but I'm not really worried or expecting much.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

I got 10 b-wings when they were clearancing them for a hundred each, and I'd be perfectly happy getting 200ish a pop for them. If they go up, so much the bettter, but I'm not really worried or expecting much.

100% return is better than most investment platforms.

That said, what is the lowest you'd take for one of those?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The new Imperial Assault Carrier looks pretty neat. It's not mini fig scale, even though it comes with mini figs.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

rickiep00h posted:

And never, ever move it, because it's oddly fragile for its bulk. Any time I have to dust around it, I have to take off Metalbeard, take off the main sail/stack assembly, and still be careful about where I put my hands when I go to pick it up. It's a great set but I can't imagine actually "playing" with it.

Just FYI I haven't found this at all and I was moving it constantly between rooms during and after the build. The mast is a little wobbly until it gets 'locked' in place by bricks above its base, though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Zodack posted:

The wings fold out to make it look like Vader's TIE Advanced (sort of) because, you know, they have to hint at the original trilogy as much as possible

Hey to be fair it's built by the same dudes that go on to build the TIE and a bunch of other ships. The front blade part houses the cloaking device, I think?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bushifox posted:

100% return is better than most investment platforms.

That said, what is the lowest you'd take for one of those?
Yeah, I know what you mean.

Assuming you're in the US, 215 shipped?

I've got them listed here alongside other Lego stuff, too.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Shipping on large Lego sets is surprisingly expensive, and it's not easy to find boxes that fit either. When I sold my UCS B-Wing, I had to make a box out of spare cardboard because it was such an odd size.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

smackfu posted:

Shipping on large Lego sets is surprisingly expensive, and it's not easy to find boxes that fit either. When I sold my UCS B-Wing, I had to make a box out of spare cardboard because it was such an odd size.

This is what I usually do anyways. Wrap it in 1-2 layers of bubblewrap and then encase that in cardboard, with generous amounts of tape.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Duplo not grand enough for you? Check this out. Kinda want to play around with these. Doubt my wife would approve though.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I am saddened by the fact that Ant-man's final battle set does not include a giant Thomas the Tank engine.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

If anyone else who had the Shuttle Tydirium set and is annoyed by the free spinning of the round pieces making up a cosmetic part of the wing mechanism, you can use a technic half pin (like the ones you get to make the flash suppressor or whatever on the laser cannon barrels in the set) to put the short end into the 12x2 that sits on top of the wing mechanism where it can slot into those pieces. Simple but satisfying fix.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

So I had the overwhelming itch to build something today, so I went and spent money at the Lego store. Left with the new pirate ship, the small ant man set, and the utility shuttle. All were fun builds but I remember pirate ships being a lot more fun to build when I was a kid.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Alright, clever move Lego.
Apparently the Ecto 1 had only "disappeard" from the Lego store for a couple of days. Of course I panic bought one at normal retail price at a third party vendor, missing out on my sweet VIP points, which now sits next to me in the office as it just got delivered.
I just went to check out the store and ecto is back. What gives?

Sorry for the false alarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Would any UK Legoons be interested in buying the Death Star off of me for £260 + shipping before I chuck it on ebay or somewhere similar? It has all the May the 4th offer stuff with it as well.