Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
hello, please enjoy my mclaren gt3 tune. it loving owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

hello, please enjoy my mclaren gt3 tune. it loving owns.

i dont think that timg'd properly

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

OhsH posted:

i dont think that timg'd properly

open it up in a new link and remove the l before.jpg

I used watkins glen gp for it so ya might have to change some poo poo around for other tracks. much better than the sms default poo poo.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Poison Jam posted:

I just had my engine blow at Le Mans in the Nissan LMP2 car for reasons I can't explain. We figured it out. It was from a crash...oops

Same, except at Monza during a 30 lap race. On lap 27. Just after I overtook for the lead. :negative:
I suspect when I get around to hosting a 6-hour race (against AI), sharing seat time with some buddies, that I may have to turn off engine failures. It'll be frustrating if they accidentally nudge another car while getting used to the game, damaging the radiator/engine, and losing hours of progress.

Also :lol: : I have coasted into the pits with a blown engine and YUP THE GAME FIRED IT RIGHT BACK UP. Same poo poo happens if you limp to the pits in your now-three-wheeled open-wheel race car. Pit AI takes over and drives like no big deal.

jammyozzy posted:

What is it with this game and not saving setups? It's so frustrating spending ages getting the car just right for the game to wipe it out and put the terrible default setup back on at random. The default GT4 Vantage setup is especially wretched, completely asymmetrical and has the intake restrictor cranked right down for some reason.

The timing and scoring is also comically broken, I just won a career race by quitting partway through and won because I had the shortest time elapsed. :psyduck:

It's a shame because when this works it's amazing but it's pissing me off so much trying to work through the career.

Is this not what the My Garage option is for? I think you can set up cars (and save configs) in the garage and every time you choose that car to race with it'll have the settings you specified. I still think it's horribly crippled in that you can't have multiple setups saved for different tracks.

I'm still not getting into career until they've patched a bunch of stuff to make it less frustrating. Not that I'd need to – it's perfect as is, for me, being able to set up whatever race format I want and have fun. There's no incentive to do career save for OCD and achievements/trophies.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Basticle posted:

Event logo by OhsH

Race 1

Race 2

Race 3

We're doin' this Thursday June 4th, 9PM Eastern (GMT-5)

Google Docs link

:siren: Note that Sakitto is, by request, a night race! :siren:

This is for PC if it wasnt obvious

That's the same night that the Stanley Cup Finals start, you bastard! Thank god for multiple monitors.

I'm irritated as hell with my setups not saving too. I'm still doing super karts and had tweaked my setup during practice and it was perfect. Qualifying was good, then at the race the whole thing was hosed up. Tire pressure was back at default and it wouldn't save my tire selection. Race was terrible, but I still won. Pain in the rear end.

Heres a question too: I've noticed on the karts that even getting a great setup for qualifying, during qualifying and the race the karts are squirrely as hell, slipping around on the straights but okay in the turns. I'll watch the replay and it shows the tires smoking during the slippery bits. What am I doing wrong?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Finals start Wednesday night I thought?

hail Satan go hawks

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Patch 1.4 notes
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?29158-Project-CARS-All-Platforms-Upcoming-Patch-1-4-Release-notes

No date yet.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

FINALLY:

Stephen Viljoen posted:

* The AI will now show much more realistic grip loss when running on slick tyres in the rain.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
looks like its gonna be a good patch.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Patch notes look good.

Only 2 things bug me currently in the game that I have not seen addressed.

The Windshield wiper speed is dog rear end slow for being used while Racing. And while the rain and wet track effects are great, the wipers just have a clear area around them you can see move across the windshield as parts that are left behind are just the water droplet animations fading in and out. Sort of a bummer as other games have gotten windshield water effects down pretty good.

Also the Pagani Huayra, it has the 4 little variable flaps, but sadly they are not animated at all as the car is driven. I hope that changes down the road.

My Immersion. :cry:

Besides that, this game is still soo drat good. Sadly I've been to busy to join any of you online yet. Soon this week hopefully.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Looks like they also fixed a bunch of poo poo related to pit stops thank gently caress.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Patch looks good. I hope they make more quality of life changes after the major issues are addressed. And where's my loving indycar dlc?!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Finals start Wednesday night I thought?

You are correct, had my dates off.

hail Satan go hawks

:respek:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Perhaps it is just this specific car/race during career, but I was invited to drive the Mercedes 190E Evo2 and it NEVER loving SAVES MY TUNING SETUP. :argh: Literally between practice, quali, and jumping to the pits during a session, it loving resets ALL of the tuning settings. Is it just me or am I doing something wrong?

I want to toss my controller into the wall.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I just raced online with pubbies. At the Nordschliefe, in torrential rain and fog.

I need an adult.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

GramCracker posted:

Perhaps it is just this specific car/race during career, but I was invited to drive the Mercedes 190E Evo2 and it NEVER loving SAVES MY TUNING SETUP. :argh: Literally between practice, quali, and jumping to the pits during a session, it loving resets ALL of the tuning settings. Is it just me or am I doing something wrong?

I want to toss my controller into the wall.

* Fixed an issue where custom vehicle setups were lost when progressing through sessions.

Also, try tuning the car and saving the setup in My Garage. Save the setup for the track that you intend to race on and it automatically gets applied when you use that car on that track.
I did this last night for the current community challenge (190 Evo on Hockenheim National). Created a tune for the car in My Garage, saved it to apply only for Hockenheim and variants. Tuned car helped me shave 1.5 seconds off my time.

However even at 870th in the world rankings I am still FIVE seconds off the fastest drivers :cry:

Falken posted:

I just raced online with pubbies. At the Nordschliefe, in torrential rain and fog.

I need an adult.

Wow, that sounds terrible. I haven't really driven on the 'Ring much, since getting the game, but this version is far more intimidating than the playschool versions in Forza/GT. It's narrow, steep, bumpy and terrifying. I can only imagine how nightmarish it must be with rain and fog. And pubbies.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Generally if you join a pubbie lobby you will find that half of them are good racers and generally decent folk, whilst the other half are pants on head retarded. I have bumped into some of the former often enough in pubbie races which is nice.

One guy accidently drove into the back of me at the Variante della roggia chicane on Monza, but then lifted off just prior to Parabolica to give me 1st back. Nice chap!

Anyway, here's the only screenshot I took of that Formula A Nord rain race. It was quite hard to find the F12 key on my keyboard as I was using my wheel. ...I do have the replay, but that's for another day. Had to use the T-Cam as there was no way to see where i was going in the cockpit view.

Anyway, here's a couple nice screenshots of a goon+pubby race we did at at Spa in Formula B (best modern formula in the game fyi)

Also, how about some glitches??

During the Formula A Race we did at Hockenheim, my in car view decided the best location would be 20 ft above the car, looking straight ahead. Ended up having to T-Cam it.

I crashed my car into a bridge, I don't care. Neither does the car, apparently.

e: On the subject of replays, in the early access the players had the ability to use crazy camera angles in replays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQDn_q5Jbu4

This feature seems to have been taken away. :( I want this back so much.

e: Wait, found something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G-sVWVDJAU&hd=1

Got the devcams back, joyus occasion etc etc.

Falken fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 2, 2015

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Falken posted:

e: On the subject of replays, in the early access the players had the ability to use crazy camera angles in replays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQDn_q5Jbu4

This feature seems to have been taken away. :( I want this back so much.

e: Wait, found something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G-sVWVDJAU&hd=1

Got the devcams back, joyus occasion etc etc.

I wish the photo mode had a free cam. Having the car being the centre of the shot all the time is retarded. I WANT MY ARTSY COMPOSITIONS GOD DAMNIT.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A disabled dude posted on the WMD forums of how he used to race karts and some other poo poo, and now can't. He asked if anyone would let him try out PCARS on a wheel. Ian Bell gave him a free copy of the game, and someone else donated a full setup to him.

I hope the guy gets back complaining about the poo poo physics only to get hardcore into iRacing.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

I hope the guy gets back complaining about the poo poo physics only to get hardcore into iRacing.

That would be an internet winner right there. You should reply to his thread and let him know that the iracing forums has a real good racers with disabilities subforum

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
...does it?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

yup

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
To anyone who's played both: is this better than Gran Turismo 6? Which parts are and which parts aren't?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

I.N.R.I posted:

To anyone who's played both: is this better than Gran Turismo 6? Which parts are and which parts aren't?

It makes GT6 look and feel like Ridge Racer.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
GT6 is Ridge Racer though? Or is it actually finally faster to even try and steer and not just use the Armco as your guide to victory in your 400 mph pretend design-intern-at-Dodge's fever dream? I quit hoping for that after 5 and never played 6.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Ether Frenzy posted:

GT6 is Ridge Racer though? Or is it actually finally faster to even try and steer and not just use the Armco as your guide to victory in your 400 mph pretend design-intern-at-Dodge's fever dream? I quit hoping for that after 5 and never played 6.

You can try barge your way through the field, a-la Gran Turismo, but you'll just knock out your alignment, or bust a radiator and overheat your engine. So yes, you'll be required to turn and not use opponents as cornering aids.
If you still insist on a GT-like experience may I suggest turning off all damage? However, it won't make the AI drive in Polyphony's patented train-of-cars formation. One of them will inevitably out-brake you, then slip up the inside at Spa's last chicane. So you better know how to cover your lines.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Finished my second endurance invitational (at 10% length, 2.5 hours) tonight: 25 HR Panorama Madness (Bathurst w/ Road Group B cars [McLaren F1, Audi R8, M-B SLS, RUF, trackdays]).

Highlights:
- Confirmation that an endurance race at Bathurst involves decently many wall hits (small mistakes in the hill portion rarely go unpunished).
- Myself (McLaren F1) and the one AI McLaren F1 were basically ruining the competition most of the race. He must've had a bad crash or something though because our position trading (him passing me a couple times when I pitted thanks to incidents) stopped after about an hour and 45 minutes in favor of a BAC Mono almost a full lap behind behind second (who I eventually lapped, then got unlapped from a crash, then lapped again).
- Had some weather fun this time 'round: started with a sunny evening, rain shower for awhile after it got dark, foggy for awhile after that, clear till dawn, another rain shower in the morning, and then a long hot day (presumably based on running on red hot tires most of the day despite fine-tuning the tire pressures in practice/qualifying and having no tire temperature issues the prior ~1.5 hours).
- Had an AI that blew both rear tires... and chose to keep driving. He had an Audi R8 so he had four wheel drive, but by like the fifth time lapping him some AI had rear-ended him because his rear body panels were gone. On the ~tenth time lapping him, it was my turn to have caught him at an inopportune time and damage my car really bad with his slow rear end, forcing a pit.
- Almost lost the race thanks to the first pit rotation because when I entered the pits I got a "Pit Box Occupied" message and it just drove through, costing me a good 15~20 seconds and almost making me run out of fuel as I had to do another lap before pitting in again. Not sure what that was about : is there pit box sharing or was it because a few AI got screwed up and spent most of the race doing donuts on pit road (and happened to be in my spot when I pitted in)?
- Ended the race as I took my 64th pass on the start/finish line, a solid 3.5 minutes up on second place (80 AI difficulty; my top lap time was 2:13 something, so roughly a lap and a half ahead of second) thanks in part to AI pitting a lot due to the weather (perhaps stupidly since the McLaren F1 at least only has one tire type so pitting for weather makes no sense) and part to the McLaren F1 being slightly slower on the turn-y portion and much faster on the straights.

All-in-all, much better than I was expecting since Bathurst seemed like a pretty scary track my first encounter with it (never raced it prior to PCars). Less lapping thanks to everyone being the same class (albeit some decent performance differences) was a perk over the Le Mans and passing moves were generally easier thanks to lower speed turns and the F1's straightaway speed.

Not sure if I want to do the Le Mans 24 Hour again with a different class of car or continue to my fourth season, rising to Formula Gulf or GT5 (thinking Formula Gulf because the goon race in the Ginetta Junior didn't leave an enticing impression).

Ether Frenzy posted:

I too gave up on Gran Turismo after 5 for that and other reasons. PCars is much better to my tastes (more challenging/realistic), but it's not such a ridiculous jump that you should feel totally blown away.

Things I like about PCars over GT:
- Each car feels much more unique (and, correspondingly, going between them can be quite a shock).
- It has damage. Like real damage. Like you can't crash into things all race long and expect no consequences (GT5 was the one that implemented "damage" to GT and it was a total joke both visually [never mind most cars didn't even have visual] and actually harming performance).
- It can have up to 45 (I think) cars on track (races never felt big enough with GT). I think 35 is the highest I've come across in the career invitationals and 20 is the highest in the career contracts I've done so far (Kart, Superkart, Formula Rookie).
- Racing/simulation quality feels better.
- AI feels much closer to actual other drivers.

Things I like about GT over PCars:
- Car collecting/upgrading/mileage/oil changes give you some sense of ownership of something.
- Much more polished (mostly UI-wise, but some stuff gameplay related needs patching/fixes).
- Better controller feel and default car setups (both hopefully still getting some work with PCars).
- Has some cool custom/street tracks.

Both have good careers in differing ways, but I definitely prefer PCars overall. If you're more about enjoying the racing itself than the extraneous stuff in GT, I think PCars will probably be a sound investment for you.

bUm fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 3, 2015

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Someone send help. I'm stuck in Silverstone and it's not counting up the laps and I keep getting blue flags.

p.s. I started in 1st

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

any word on that patch dropping soon? i want it

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I hope it comes out soon. The PS4 texture blurriness is very distracting.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Basticle posted:

Event logo by OhsH

Race 1

Race 2

Race 3

We're doin' this Thursday June 4th, 9PM Eastern (GMT-5)

Google Docs link

:siren: Note that Sakitto is, by request, a night race! :siren:

This is for PC if it wasnt obvious

I'm going to see a movie tomorrow night but please keep doing them and I will show up

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I have a bad feeling its going to be just me, ethanol and OshH tonight.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

At least you have something. Every night for me it's "no multiplayer sessions found." :(

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Basticle posted:

:3: ill be there

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

ethanol posted:

:3: ill be there

Same.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Basticle posted:

As a Euro I won't be able to make it tonight, but next week I should be able to as I'm not working the Friday :)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I will be there next week.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Basticle posted:

maybe if the race weren't at like 3 in the morning, poo poo

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

yeah how come we can't move it to a time when our euro friends can join us? im thinking 3-5 est on sundays or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

ethanol posted:

yeah how come we can't move it to a time when our euro friends can join us? im thinking 3-5 est on sundays or something

I was going to and got the distinct impression thst few american goons would be available. But I am 100% for doing the Clio Cup event at that time instead.

• Locked thread