Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

You have a very funny definition of friendly.

It will be okay if your name is Chaz. However, if its not hope you have fun in hell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bobkatt013 posted:

It will be okay if your name is Chaz.

Define "ok". Chaz did end up loving an underage girl and beating his wife to a pulp due to John.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Define "ok". Chaz did end up loving an underage girl and beating his wife to a pulp due to John.

Not being tortured in hell for the rest of eternity.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Not being tortured in hell for the rest of eternity.

If that's your standard for "being ok" you should consider a career in politics.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

If that's your standard for "being ok" you should consider a career in politics.

Its okay when it comes to being John's friend.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

CzarChasm posted:

I like it. I mean really, if there was ever a character who didn't need a secret identity, it's probably Superman.

Yeah, I know, protect his loved ones, yadda, yadda. But really, everyone knows you don't ever gently caress with Superman's friends. Either 1) Superman will just save them anyway, 2a) If you do hurt them, you'll just be the number one target for arguably the strongest person in the universe or 2b) One of Superman's friends will make your life a living hell, because anyone on Superman's nice list gets watched by the whole league.

Even protecting your loved ones is not a great reason for a secret identity. Police, the Judicial System, Politicians and a whole host of other professions exist where loved ones might be put at risk due to their association with someone who upsets a powerful criminal, etc.

Batman gets to keep his connection to Bruce Wayne's associates secret, but what about the Gordon family?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Keeshhound posted:

Even protecting your loved ones is not a great reason for a secret identity. Police, the Judicial System, Politicians and a whole host of other professions exist where loved ones might be put at risk due to their association with someone who upsets a powerful criminal, etc.

Batman gets to keep his connection to Bruce Wayne's associates secret, but what about the Gordon family?

Batman is doing a lot more to attract crazy people that Gordon is. You're right, though.

The secret identity isn't for criminals, it's to not have the Law or Government stop you from breaking the law by being a vigilante.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Superman: Secret Identity was pretty good at explaining why someone might need...well a secret identity. Mostly due to the government might wanting to own/operate/control the most powerful being on earth and not let him have a life of his own.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

Well, prior to the reboot the Joker murdered his wife and crippled his daughter so that's a pretty good argument in favor of secret identities.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ImpAtom posted:

Well, prior to the reboot the Joker murdered his wife and crippled his daughter so that's a pretty good argument in favor of secret identities.

I think that technically still happened in the reboot, Barbra just got better.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

His wife died because she was doing her job as a cop. The fact she was married to Gordon had nothing to do with it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ImpAtom posted:

And a secret identity is only good until the writer can't think of a better way to introduce more drama and has the villain figure it out anyway so they can murder someone important to the hero in some grisly manner anyway. I guess my thoughts on the matter are just that if you're really adopting a secret identity for the sake of your loved ones, you should just bite the bullet and work with the government to get them into witness protection or something.

Drifter posted:

The secret identity isn't for criminals, it's to not have the Law or Government stop you from breaking the law by being a vigilante.

This is really the problem I have with secret identities; it feels less like a precaution for other's safety, and more like trying to avoid having any kind of oversight.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Keeshhound posted:

This is really the problem I have with secret identities; it feels less like a precaution for other's safety, and more like trying to avoid having any kind of oversight.
So, Watchmen, basically.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Keeshhound posted:

Imagine how boring comics would be if the first half dozen issues of each street-level origin story was about the 'hero' going to various EMT and firefighting, criminal psychology, and state law classes.

The cosmic heroes can do what they want. You don't need to learn how to put out a fire when you can wish the flames away with a giant green fan.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Drifter posted:

Imagine how boring comics would be if the first half dozen issues of each street-level origin story was about the 'hero' going to various EMT and firefighting, criminal psychology, and state law classes.

The cosmic heroes can do what they want. You don't need to learn how to put out a fire when you can wish the flames away with a giant green fan.

Oh, come on; you could totally spin that into an on the job training deal with the mentor who will inevitably turn out to be evil.

I will say I came down on secret identities harder than I meant to. I don't think they should never be used in a story, I'd just like to see the theme get shaken up a little more often.

For all the mutants who have to be rescued from mobs of bigots and relocated to Professor Xavier's Paramilitary Training Program, I'd like to see the occasional kid with super strength and weird eyes who gets born into a town where the people around them are understanding and supportive and they wind up in some kind of police internship or something. Like, as a one-shot.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 3, 2015

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Drifter posted:

I think there's a wealth of potential story arcs in that concept. How many stories can you set in a high school or a university or a law firm or a detective agency or an emergency ward or a fire station without the characters being superheroes in training? Every single one of those concepts is multiple television shows. I'd have so much more respect for a superhero who knows what they're doing because they sat down and studied.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I loved the parts of Hawkeye where Clint was hanging out with Grills and being "Hawkguy".

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Drifter posted:

Batman is doing a lot more to attract crazy people that Gordon is. You're right, though.

It's a hard thing to write about too because vigilantes are awful. 99% of the time vigilantes are just violent assholes. It makes it difficult to write reasonable justification for a lot of secret identities. Alien racism is a pretty good reason though.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

You want a reasonable justification for a Secret Identity?
Someone who doesn't want to be a super hero 100% of the time.
If you want to be allowed try and live a life that involves being a normal person (or even just to avoid the media/celebrity worship) a secret ID makes sense.

Like Superman says in the Animated Series, "I can't be Superman all the time. I'd go mad. "

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Keeshhound posted:

That is entirely depending on the hero in question. Becoming a superhero means becoming something "more" then human in more ways then one. All superheroes answer to
whatever ideal that they stand for, and whether they work with established authority or not is apart of that.

Having a secret identity just makes that into a plot point. Not having it turns a "super-hero" into just a "hero".

The Question IRL posted:

If you want to be allowed try and live a life that involves being a normal person (or even just to avoid the media/celebrity worship) a secret ID makes sense.

Like Superman says in the Animated Series, "I can't be Superman all the time. I'd go mad. "

This too. Being a soldier is just a job but being "Soldier-Man" is naturally a bigger part of your identity. Kinda like a celebrity.

Hellbunny fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 3, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Why do letterers always put a 'wink' sound effect when someone's winking? Like, we'd think that lady just had something in her eye, not hitting on Clark if it wasn't there?

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

This actually is the real legit reason, at least for Superman. He doesn't like the idea of being the perfect hero and idol to millions 24-7, and being just plain Clark lets him relax, while also being able to connect with others in a way Superman can't.

Batman does it because the mystique and mystery behind The Batman is an essential part of his crime fighting method.

Spiderman lives with a 1000 year old lady and also is poor and relatively weak compared to most of his enemies so for him it's at least a definite survival thing, same for Daredevil.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

redbackground posted:

Now if we can get The Protomen to do the opening theme while The Megas rock out over the end credits...

obviously this would be the opening for the Japanese dub; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqFsp0-l3es

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Wapole Languray posted:

Spiderman lives with a 1000 year old lady and also is poor and relatively weak compared to most of his enemies

What'd you say about Aunt May???

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Uthor posted:

What'd you say about Aunt May???

Best Aunt May moment ever(at least for 616 derived versions of her)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

drrockso20 posted:

Best Aunt May moment ever(at least for 616 derived versions of her)

616 May is alright, but Ultimate May is amazing. That woman is tough as nails.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
My favorite classic Mega man boss is Burner Man, who was told by Wily the he must burn down a forest a day or he'll auto deactivate.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Say what you will about JMS being a lovely writer but he wrote the hell out of the issue where Aunt May finds out Peter is Spider-Man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I have very few problems with JMS' Spider-man run. I'll take Sins Past over whatever Dan Slott is doing right now.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Say what you will about JMS being a lovely writer but he wrote the hell out of the issue where Aunt May finds out Peter is Spider-Man.

Seriously he married some of the better aspects of Ultimate May with 616's long-term characterization and managed to make her respectable, strong, and even modern in her way without losing sight of her prior characterization. By contrast that stupid Chameleon page features an Aunt May who stepped right out of the 1950s.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

I love that scene where she writes an angry letter to Jameson cancelling her subscription to the Bugle because of how biased their reporting of Peter is.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ultimate may>actress may>normal may

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ConfusedUs posted:

I loved the parts of Hawkeye where Clint was hanging out with Grills and being "Hawkguy".

Speaking of, did the last issue every ever come out?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Nope July right now

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yes, but everyone on the internet mutually agreed to never ever mention it. Sorry you missed out!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

ConfusedUs posted:

616 May is alright, but Ultimate May is amazing. That woman is tough as nails.

Ultimate May pulls a .357 on Osborne and Brock, I don't think you can get tougher then that.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I never understood why Aunt May was so drat old. I mean she was his Aunt right? Not his grandmas, she should be 30 odd years older than him not 60.

God there was this awesome edit in the Newspaper comics thread of Spider-Man shaking Aunt May because she was going to marry Mole Man and her neck snaps. Hilarious.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Ultimate may>actress may>normal may

Trouble May > All

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
And here I was thinking the whole point of Aunt May was that she was at deaths door all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Duke Igthorn posted:

I never understood why Aunt May was so drat old. I mean she was his Aunt right? Not his grandmas, she should be 30 odd years older than him not 60.

Uncle Ben married to an older woman? :shrug: Aunt May isn't related to Peter, and it's not actually THAT uncommon to be significantly older then your youngest sibling, especially in older times. If Uncle Ben was like 18 when Richard Parker was born...

Lurdiak posted:

I have very few problems with JMS' Spider-man run. I'll take Sins Past over whatever Dan Slott is doing right now.

Maybe it's nostalgia considering that his Spider-Man was what I grew up with, but beyond Sins Past and the 9/11 issue I thought JMS's Spider-Man is by far among the best depiction of the character.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 4, 2015