Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

The Hideaki anno Godzilla is gonna be sweet when it comes out in 2030

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Good morning, anime chat thread.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

*top down shot of an enclosed underground space. It is filled wall to wall with hightech equipment of dubious nature, remnants of takeout food, and anime figurines*

Professor Watashi: "Amazing! It seems it might indeed be possible for men to understand the motivations and mannerisms of a creature that appears so terrifying and alien. If only... No, it can't be helped. I'm sure a woman like Colonel Vixen would never pay attention to what a loser like me has to say."

*wide angled shot of tangled communication lines as cicadas chirp in the distance*

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

GorfZaplen posted:

Hello friend.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Good morning, Gorf! :)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

all this talk about live action Anno movies makes me want to watch Love & Pop again this weekend once I finish The Human Condition

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

Greetings

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Well, I guess "seriously" in the sense that it isn't a gag romance or a blanket statement that incest is the best or w/e. It'd rather focus on the tragic and melodramatic elements, I suppose like a soap.

Truthfully, my only experience with the series was the manga, thinking it was not nearly condemning enough, reading the Wikipedia episode summary of the end, and thinking "well that sounds a bit better, I think?"

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
An Anno Godzilla would be great because I'd much rather see humans working together to defeat Godzilla than see Godzilla save us from other monsters.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Robot shows = fail

robot shows areactually really great and good

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

An Anno Godzilla would be great because I'd much rather see humans working together to defeat Godzilla than see Godzilla save us from other monsters.

What about Godzilla fighting against a giant robot made by humans turned evil due to having an older godzillas spine in it?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

You're a monster

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Godzilla is a threat to humanity writ large and must be stopped

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The second US one is going to have Mothra and Ghidora so there's now a Godzilla for everyone.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

on the one hand, mothra ftw. on the other hand, american godzilla sux...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Godzilla face turn is some real BS.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

They should change it so that Godzilla is caused by the Fukushima nuclear disaster.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Davincie posted:

Mothhoooorah!

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

K. Flaps posted:

What about Godzilla fighting against a giant robot made by humans turned evil due to having an older godzillas spine in it?

Or the humans discover ancient Atlantean technology and Godzilla is the only one that can stop them from ultimately destroying the earth.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

The first mothra movie is one of my fave from that period of Toho productions, but yeah, American Godzilla is a steaming pile

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I liked the one from last year, at least it didn't have Mathew Broderick in it. Though at that point I guess I was assuming there weren't going to be any more Japanese Godzilla's.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I liked it until Cranston died.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I liked it until Cranston died.

Isn't that like 20 minutes in?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Isn't that like 20 minutes in?

Yup. It all went downhill from there.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I recently got the original on a Criterion BD. I had never seen it in Japanese and it was pretty great.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The problem with any American version of Godzilla is that American studios are way too worried about how good their special effects look, to the point where all the scenes involving Godzilla are super tight shots of cgi skin, or 80% darkness so you can't see any of the action with real clarity, so everyone just looks extremely boring. The Japanese studios are determined to use practical effects forever because that's the always been the history and focus, which is way cooler. Give me dudes in rubber suits destroying models any day of the week.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
New American Godzilla was pretty good. Godzilla was aweesome, he hosed up a bunch of poo poo and fought those weird monsters, it was great.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
eva is an ultraman homage. anno is a huge dork for special effects movies and will work on this as hard as he can and will prob even be finished before 4.0.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Uznare posted:

eva is an ultraman homage. anno is a huge dork for special effects movies and will work on this as hard as he can and will prob even be finished before 4.0.

It's definitely coming out before 4 considering that movie is basically on hiatus as he works on Godzilla

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Give me dudes in rubber suits destroying models any day of the week.

i prefer men in latex myself, but i don't kinkshame.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boom boom boom posted:

no theyre fail

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hopefully Toho has someone with a whip and a large supply of anti-depressants.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I like it when Godzilla knocks buildings down and steps on Japanese people

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

*ECW Crowd Voice* gently caress em up Zilla gently caress em up *clapclap*

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Hopefully Toho has someone with a whip and a large supply of anti-depressants.

Smoking Crow posted:

I like it when Godzilla knocks buildings down and steps on Japanese people

i prefer men in latex myself, but i don't kinkshame.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

boom boom boom posted:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
The girls from k-on should be in a mecha show.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

The girls from k-on should be in a mecha show.

imagine i posted the evangelion k-on mashup vid

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just watch Xenoglossia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

PotU posted:

imagine i posted the evangelion k-on mashup vid

Done