Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
Doesn't ICO mean In Case Of?

Also jesus, Dick.

edit: or maybe In Care Of?

FaintlyQuaint fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I love bosses that get a buzz word and just run with it. For a while my boss would always tell us he was angry that we "made an executive decision" and that we aren't allowed to "make executive decisions". It was crazy irritating, and it'd be for this like at 2am we were having a problem with an install because they didn't get the right version of software, so we'd get a free trial for it, and then in the morning tell the bosses they have to buy X. WHO AUTHORIZED YOU TO MAKE THAT EXECUTIVE DECISION? When X was like $100 who cares?

mewse
May 2, 2006

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Doesn't ICO mean In Case Of?

Also jesus, Dick.

edit: or maybe In Care Of?

Actually from my extensive googling it stands for Information Commissioner's Office, a British institution

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I love bosses that get a buzz word and just run with it. For a while my boss would always tell us he was angry that we "made an executive decision" and that we aren't allowed to "make executive decisions". It was crazy irritating, and it'd be for this like at 2am we were having a problem with an install because they didn't get the right version of software, so we'd get a free trial for it, and then in the morning tell the bosses they have to buy X. WHO AUTHORIZED YOU TO MAKE THAT EXECUTIVE DECISION? When X was like $100 who cares?

My coworker has these verbal ticks like "in any case" "regardless" etc that he throws into everything he's saying when they're completely inappropriate to what he's about to say

mewse fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 4, 2015

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

mewse posted:

Actually from my extensive googling it stands for Information Commissioner's Office, a British institution

No wonder Dick Trauma can't tell us about anything he works with. He's gone British.

FaintlyQuaint fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 4, 2015

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Dick Trauma posted:

she will literally put her hand up and say "Too much detail" if I mention anything technical.
No, Dick, this is a major red flag, so gently caress them. Next time she says "ICO", immediately answer "too much detail." See how they like it.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

DT, time to snap back and start using your own acronyms, then look at her incredulously and respond like she did. Hell, make some acronyms up - the military is great for doing that, and they'll often use the same ones multiple times with different meanings in the same document.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

My wife got this poo poo as well when she moved to a C-level position. Lots of meetings with the CFO and CEO using acronyms which they assumed everyone should know, but which were totally endemic to their company. Sounded incredibly frustrating. She probably came up through the company and has no idea what ICO is actually supposed to mean, so she can't explain it to you without exposing that through a meandering talk which never hits on anything which could actually stand in for "ICO" as an acronym, or that other companies don't have any idea what it means.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

drat dude that sucks. Maybe she just had a super lovely day or was under a bunch of stress and lashed out. Have you asked around the office to ever figure out what ICO is? I can't think of anything besides initial cost of ownership either. Must be an acronym for some internal process or something.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mewse posted:

No, you idiot, it clearly refers to:

quote:

Ico (イコ Iko?, /ˈiːkoʊ/) is a puzzle-platformer and action-adventure game developed by Team Ico and published by Sony Computer Entertainment, released for the PlayStation 2 video game console in 2001 and 2002 in various regions. It was designed and directed by Fumito Ueda, who wanted to create a minimalist game around a "boy meets girl" concept. Originally planned for the PlayStation, Ico took approximately four years to develop. The team employed a "subtracting design" approach to reduce elements of gameplay that interfered with the game's setting and story in order to create a high level of immersion.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
She probably doesn't know what the acronym means, but saw it used in a similar situation once.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

evol262 posted:

She probably came up through the company and has no idea what ICO is actually supposed to mean, so she can't explain it to you without exposing that through a meandering talk which never hits on anything which could actually stand in for "ICO" as an acronym, or that other companies don't have any idea what it means.

My money's on this as well. She almost certainly can't adequately explain it and doesn't want to lose face by admitting her ignorance.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm going to get her the requests I could understand, and if she asks about the ICO ones I'll say "pending explanation of ICO."

Other than this dumb experience everything else here has been good. Most of my time is spent on meaningful projects, cleaning up long-standing tech messes, implementing basic I.T. standards, etc. I'm giving them a tech foundation they were sorely lacking. Their existing vendors have either woken up to the fact that there's an experienced I.T. person handling them, or like one vendor they have quickly found themselves being moved toward the door.

Maybe this job will quickly go off the rails. Maybe it will last for years. For this much money they will have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Small tweak, change it to "Pending definition of ICO", because explanation is "I want the ICO! Look how loving psycho I am!!!"

How rage inducing that must have been for you. Kudos for not screaming until you're red in the face.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Now I'm really curious to find out what ICO is.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I Googled it and can confirm that it's Literally Nothing.

Also, another kudos for not responding to "We're done" with "We're done when I say we're done."

It's also worth pointing out that if you ask what ICO means, and she immediately pivots to shock and dismay that you don't know what it means, then she doesn't know either.

mewse
May 2, 2006

My best guess is "In Care Of" like she's asking who is being delegated for each task

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It could originally mean "in case of" which in the company could be twisted to mean an explanation of why a thing was done. Which is a reasonable thing to ask, but to just blindly scream "ICO ICO ICO" is not.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

FISHMANPET posted:

to just blindly scream "ICO ICO ICO" is not.

Maybe Dick's boss just really likes the Belle Stars?

Jockomo feena ah na nay
Jockomo feena nay.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I looked up ICO on Acronym Finder and it came up with 216 possibilities, including In Case Of, In Care Of, Initial Cost of Ownership, In-house Computing Option, Item Change Order, Internet Connected Office, and Initial Cash Outlay. I'd send her a link to ICO and ask her to pick which one it is and you'll figure things out after that.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Either that or spend an unreasonable amount of company time providing all 216 of those for each item. Oh god the passive aggressive glory of that one.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Initial Cost Outlay is what I was thinking of, but that's insane that she won't tell you. Good luck DT :(

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Office expansion is almost done! The company office space is being expanded by 25%! Now is the time for war apparently because who is being moved where is not finalized. Anyone who believes they are anyone are battling like its the loving arena to cement themselves into the cubicle/office space they desire.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Sickening posted:

Office expansion is almost done! The company office space is being expanded by 25%! Now is the time for war apparently because who is being moved where is not finalized. Anyone who believes they are anyone are battling like its the loving arena to cement themselves into the cubicle/office space they desire.

Executive Deathmatch! Two will enter, one will get an office!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
That's going to be the hardest part of going back to an office environment. I work from home right now, so I have a dedicated office, private kitchen, private gym, executive washroom... I can just imagine going on an interview and hearing "and this would be your cubicle"

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm going to get her the requests I could understand, and if she asks about the ICO ones I'll say "pending explanation of ICO."

Other than this dumb experience everything else here has been good. Most of my time is spent on meaningful projects, cleaning up long-standing tech messes, implementing basic I.T. standards, etc. I'm giving them a tech foundation they were sorely lacking. Their existing vendors have either woken up to the fact that there's an experienced I.T. person handling them, or like one vendor they have quickly found themselves being moved toward the door.

Maybe this job will quickly go off the rails. Maybe it will last for years. For this much money they will have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

I am wondering if you are doing such a good job that she is feeling threatened by you and is using information withholding as power. Is the CEO not going to these meetings because they are busy, or because your boss is trying to reduce your exposure to C levels?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

RadicalR posted:

Executive Deathmatch! Two will enter, one will get an office!

The funny thing is all the execs get an office without issue. It is time for directors/vp's and everyone else to measure dicks and try to figure out who is more important. One person has already came out and said they aren't moving anywhere despite the office being demo'd with the wall that it is build into.

Now is the time for move requests for cubes and offices that already have someone in them. As if IT is going to do the eviction for them or something. :laffo:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1voj6H8CHY

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

evol262 posted:

My wife got this poo poo as well when she moved to a C-level position. Lots of meetings with the CFO and CEO using acronyms which they assumed everyone should know, but which were totally endemic to their company. Sounded incredibly frustrating. She probably came up through the company and has no idea what ICO is actually supposed to mean, so she can't explain it to you without exposing that through a meandering talk which never hits on anything which could actually stand in for "ICO" as an acronym, or that other companies don't have any idea what it means.
ICO=pishaw
It has no formal meaning. The meaning depends entirely on the context.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

kensei posted:

Initial Cost Outlay is what I was thinking of, but that's insane that she won't tell you. Good luck DT :(

It's not insane, she doesn't know what it stands for.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

NINE POSTS UP :argh:

fakeedit: I AM VERY MAD ABOUT THIS BECAUSE ECRED FOR MAKING HTE OBVIOUS SONG-BASED JOKE WILL IMPROVE MY SELF WORTH GREATLY.

edit 2: for content, one of my biggest clients has had three hardware failures, all seemingly unrelated, in their cluster in the past two weeks and I've been up until 5 AM three days this week (including today) trying to fix poo poo and I just want it to loving stop. It seems age/environmental as half the hardware is five years old and this client a year or two ago went "GOOGLE keeps their datacenters at 90 degrees so we should too :suicide:", but it's not certain and in the meantime I'm juggling a billion things just to keep their poo poo running.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 4, 2015

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Today I got to go install a new switch in a rack. Easy enough, except this rack is a spaghetti waterfall mess so bad that it was literally physically impossible to get the new switch in without unplugging half the equipment.

It took up the entire "maintenance window" just to get the switch into the rack.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 4, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

That's going to be the hardest part of going back to an office environment. I work from home right now, so I have a dedicated office, private kitchen, private gym, executive washroom... I can just imagine going on an interview and hearing "and this would be your cubicle"

It could be worse. We recently moved into a new building, and the IT area wasn't done. So we got to sit in some cubes that would/will be used by auditors. Fairly comfortable, well appointed kitchen area, new appliances, etc.

IT area is complete, and we move down to...half-sized cubes barely big enough for chairs (smallest in the building!), and a kitchen area that's a plain white room with all the old, stained, barely-working appliances from the previous building.

Immediately updated my LI profile.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Dick Trauma posted:

Boss: It's ICO. How did you get to this point without knowing what it means?

Crazy lady doesn't realise she's speaking to IT, there's thousands of acronyms our there to fight with.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I am wondering if you are doing such a good job that she is feeling threatened by you and is using information withholding as power. Is the CEO not going to these meetings because they are busy, or because your boss is trying to reduce your exposure to C levels?

They're genuinely busy people. The business has grown but headcount has lagged. They recently started hiring more people but I think it will be a while before they shed their small business mentality of having the people at the top directly managing everything.

That's part of what drove them to hire me. They need someone that can properly implement systems that will increase efficiency, like getting a modern AP system in place so there's far less pissing around with cutting manual checks for everything. There will still be plenty for accounting to do but there will be less time spent on manual processes that should've been automated long ago. They want me examining everything to see where they've fallen behind, but also where they can get a jump on putting systems in place that might seem like overkill today but will help them avoid having to slow down during growth bursts due to overwhelming their old manual procedures.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
No one is too busy to explain an acronym.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
DT - Are there others at your work whom you could ask the meaning of ICO?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Dick: What does the ICO notation mean?
Boss: You don't know?
Dick: I thought it might be initial cost of ownership but...
Boss: It's ICO. How did you get to this point without knowing what it means?
Dick: Maybe I use a different term for it, is it...
Boss: I want the ICO for each of these items.
Dick: I... need some specifics though because I'm not familiar with the way you're using ICO.
Boss: <huffs> How much clearer do I need to make myself?

Isn't this a plot to a Seinfeld episode?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

rolleyes posted:

My money's on this as well. She almost certainly can't adequately explain it and doesn't want to lose face by admitting her ignorance.

Thanks boss, so not only are you impeding work getting done to save your own ego, you're insulting my intelligence by expecting me not to figure it out despite how obvious it is. So, worse than complete failure because now you've just lost the majority of my respect for you as well as me seeing through your BS.

Edit: Also, this is the point where you can completely ignore any "ICO" comments. I mean, obviously if they aren't going to tell you what it means, it's not important enough to worry about.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 4, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

No one is too busy to explain an acronym.

Agreed. I was responding to the post wondering if the CEO was avoiding me or getting cut out of the picture by the head of Ops. I don't think that's the case. This is the first time I've seen any weird behavior here by management types. Too early to know if it's significant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

More amusing than pissing me off. Someone in a town of 6000 in West Texas sends in a ticket: My internet explorer won't load! I look on Meraki, they are hitting 4.5mbps through constant streaming and Facebook. The person who sent this in has used 450mb on Facebook in the last two hours alone. I tell her that over 60% of her site's usage is being taken up by streaming and social media. She says "It's not my computer, could it be anybodys? What about cell phones?" I tell her that yes, anybodys usage impacts everyone else, and so do cell phones on WiFi. As I typed this, she responded "One guy was on Facebook, I told him to get off. Nobody should be on social media." I can't call her out directly, any suggestions for what to say to tell her I can see an individual's usage without seeming accusatory?