Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Junkfist posted:

……………………why a sword?

:xcom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Cowcaster posted:

And yet, the sweeping entirety of gameplay mechanic changes between the two games renders that point almost completely irrelevant. You might as well point out that it's how Diablo 3 generates its maps.

That's not true in any practical way. A lot of these mechanics only have a chance to be interesting if the environments around them were also interesting. I don't give a poo poo if I'm supposed to blow up a building if the map is static and I already know the best way to get there, or worse, it's poorly randomized and I have no good way to get there. Bomb missions in Enemy Unknown are groan-inducing for precisely this reason.

Seeing as they're using a technique that's been known for 20 years across multiple genres to create high quality environments, well, that's a good sign for these mechanics they're hoping to use.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
All i'm trying to ultimately say is "That's neat. I like it."

That's neat. I like it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Coolguye posted:

1994 X-COM was 3-d anyway, really, since many buildings would have multiple stories that you would have to clear out.
You have no idea.

Long story short, 1994 XCOM uses very low-res voxel models of every tile that's used for handling line of fire checking.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Junkfist posted:

……………………why a sword?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3bHENs9-2A

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Just Offscreen posted:

All i'm trying to ultimately say is "That's neat. I like it."

That's neat. I like it.

Fair enough

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

The Kins posted:

You have no idea.

Long story short, 1994 XCOM uses very low-res voxel models of every tile that's used for handling line of fire checking.

This is loving awesome

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Okay so if were all stealthy now, do we get silencer attachments for the guns? And can we get LOS on unaware enemies? That would be the loving tits, put your heavy behind some high cover and have him start macking a ruckus, then sneak some guys up behind to get all ninja sword stabby.

E: Maybe cones of vision? That would own.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

I hope some of the maps give us an idea of how the rest of humanity is living outside of these pristine alien cities. I'm thinking along the lines of tent cities in the forest, claustrophobic shanty towns, and run down subway stations converted to living space.

Not related but I was thinking as XCOM gains momentum, wouldn't it make sense for the government to start developing a rapid response team? So on some missions when you've progressed to that point, you have to start worrying about U-COM dropping in their not-Skyranger a number of turns after you've been spotted and have to hurry to complete your objective and get out before they wreck your poo poo.

Coolguye posted:

terrorists win

:drat: we really are the baddies this time.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Junkfist posted:

……………………why a sword?

Swords are cool, yo. Have you heard of this indie game called Revengeance?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

bitcoin bastard posted:

Okay so if were all stealthy now, do we get silencer attachments for the guns? And can we get LOS on unaware enemies? That would be the loving tits, put your heavy behind some high cover and have him start macking a ruckus, then sneak some guys up behind to get all ninja sword stabby.

I think the idea is you can sneak, and get a single alpha strike, but after that the mission will play out very similarly to EU with the scampering/alerting other pods.

So there will be some missions you can do mostly/all covertly (like hacking/extracting) and you'll be able to put a pre-emptive hit out on the biggest threat you can find. But once you've activated a pod of enemies it goes to what tactical combat was like in EU/EW.

Basically, you can dictate the initial engagement not necessarily all the others on the map.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

bitcoin bastard posted:

The very first screenshot they released is of a soldier setting up a shot on some unwitting ADVENT guards having a chat, so yes, you can target unaware enemies.

However, from the way the devs have talked about it, the moment the gunfire kicks off stealth is no longer possible, so it's more for setting up an initial ambush to decimate as much of the enemy as possible in one big go.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Woozy posted:

The maps in X-Com were generated by a tiling system which is almost assuredly how they'll do it in XCOM2 if they want to have any urban environments at all.

Based on the IGN article maps seems to be built around an "always there" themed layout with spaces for big/medium/small elements to be dragged and dropped in. I'd assume that the City map layouts have much more regular placement of element zones than usual.

The best/worst mod would be one that puts all possible elements into a map generation pool, so you can have rugged rock formations and dead trees in the middle of a cyberpunk dystopia.

The Kins posted:

You have no idea.

This is nuts.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
A lot of really incredibly clever poo poo went into making that first X-Com

Edit: I guess like most 90s games that were any good

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Junkfist posted:

……………………why a sword?

Yeah this stood out to me too, especially considering how being able to punch aliens was the best part of Enemy Within.

The Kins posted:

You have no idea.

Holy poo poo. :stare:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Can we get a

SNAKE
TITS

emote?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Kins posted:

You have no idea.

Holy poo poo, that's absolutely crazy. There is this crazy complicated 3D aiming system and yet accuracy doesn't depend on distance?

Also, I'm starting to suspect that Gallop is some kind of genius and that's why no one has ever been able to make something as good as x-com.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can we get a

SNAKE
TITS

emote?
you're buying it not me

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Posting this again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP7VjbuNEzg

(Development cost $180,000)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

waitwhatno posted:

Holy poo poo, that's absolutely crazy. There is this crazy complicated 3D aiming system and yet accuracy doesn't depend on distance?

Also, I'm starting to suspect that Gallop is some kind of genius and that's why no one has ever been able to make something as good as x-com.

I like the part where you can hide behind a tree and if the bullets "miss" you, they can still hit you because they hit your leg instead of your torso which is blocked by impenetrable leaves.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

waitwhatno posted:

lol, listen to him try to describe making it on Game Design Roundtable. I'm sure he's being humble but it's more like it was a rookie sort of 'along for the ride' experience instead of the master of project management and design x-com fans like to make him out to be.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Junkfist posted:

……………………why a sword?
They are starting a machete squad.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Most early 90s games were just a bunch of nerd programmers getting together and experimenting up some weird stuff that sometimes work crazy well

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

waitwhatno posted:

Nah, the voxels are only used for checking to see if a line of fire exists - that is to say, a shot can actually be made. That's not difficult, it's just checking if a straight line exists between two points.

The firing system is completely different, and is slightly more complicated than I'm about to make it out to be but basically is: if you pass your accuracy check and you're on target, your bullet is generally going to follow that line. Otherwise we're going to throw a scatter variable on it, magnitude determined by how bad you screwed up your shot. So if you 'miss' by only a point or two, you could still hit something on your target, or the guy right next to him. If you miss by 50 points you're probably gonna shoot straight to your side and waste the Commander. There's a couple other things that influence it besides your accuracy roll, but that's the most of it. Anyway, point is, after the bullet leaves the gun, it's on its line and come what may, it's not really planned out in advance.

The original X-COM did a lot of things like this mostly because tight computations were too taxing for the computers at the time to handle, and the chaos they didn't bother to control ended up telling good stories sometimes. The problem with it is that it also ended up acting really freaking strange and being terrible a lot of times, but none of the fanatics you talk to nowadays will tell you about those times (including me, generally).

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Surprised nobody mentioned this little tidbit: Floors and ceilings are entirely destructible now. :woop:

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can we get a

SNAKE
TITS

emote?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

please do not buy this

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Snakes don't have arms either, but you don't see people freaking out about THAT. Just a bunch of tit-hatin' weirdos.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost

this is upsetting me badly please buy it

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

:irony:

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Pete Murray is playing X-COM: UFO Defense on Firaxis' twitch channel.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

quote:

Xcom Terrorism! :supaburn:

It is human nature to seek culpability in a time of tragedy. It is a sign of strength to cry out fate, rather than to bow one's head and succumb.

Inevitably many shall fault the hands upon the sword which fell MegaCity Paris, Xcom. But Xcom merely preforms the duty of its office. To further fear them is redundant. To hate them, heretical. Those more sensible will place responsibility of those who forced the hand of the Commander; the spineless collaborators, or the xenos which trespass upon our world. With some fortune they may foster this hatred into purpose and further rule their own fate by coming to humanities service. :colbert:

Eimi fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 4, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

haha!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
haha!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

mods pls rename me to TIT SNAKE ORGY

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Snake tits can be summed up by this image:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

fspades posted:

Surprised nobody mentioned this little tidbit: Floors and ceilings are entirely destructible now. :woop:

Heres hoping that it happens like that! :vince:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Thyrork posted:

Heres hoping that it happens like that! :vince:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4NR_2wKyEU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Hopefully it works more like Silent Storm than old x-com. It wasn't very granular while in SS you could literally shoot a circle around you on the floor to cut a hole and drop to the level below in front of a guy you're going to blast in the face with the last bullet in your clip.

Or shoot the cieling to drop a baddie in front of you, or down four flights of stairs! whatever!

Or place a few explosives in strategic spots and level a whole building!

Silent Storm was extremely the poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
What I dont get is why a stealthy underdog freedom fighter outfit would choose a big flying target as their home base.

Aside from that, I hope they are going all in with the partisan fighter theme though. Make it so that you need to steal poo poo to survive; choose between a simple raiding mission because you need the money, or go for a high risk assault on some research station to maybe get your hand on some sweet prototype weapons and/or equipment.
Also there should be a metagame rewards for these high risk missions. IE take out a Ufo docking base and the alien airpower in that area will suffer as a result, or sabotage some cloning vats to lower the chance of a specific enemy type to appear in the next few missions.

• Locked thread