Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
The bigger concern with ziploc for long cooks for me has always been spillage/breakage of the bag, not flavor issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Good point. I will email them I think.

edit: Actually I'm wondering if I wasn't getting a vortex as mentioned here. I will see if it happens next time.

https://support.anovaculinary.com/hc/en-us/articles/201704260-Noises

I bet it's a vortex. I paid c lose attention and found it takes filling a good bit past the minimum fill line (in my container at least, square coleman cooler) to eliminate that slurpy vortex noise.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Veritek83 posted:

The bigger concern with ziploc for long cooks for me has always been spillage/breakage of the bag, not flavor issues.

Same, when I go for more than a couple hours I binder clip the zip tops to the side of the container, over the waterline.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

the yeti posted:

I bet it's a vortex. I paid c lose attention and found it takes filling a good bit past the minimum fill line (in my container at least, square coleman cooler) to eliminate that slurpy vortex noise.

Good to know. I was just doing an egg so I didn't have a ton of water in there. Probably a centimeter above the min line.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I've got some sous vide pork cutlets in the fridge. When I heat them back up, about how long do I need to leave them in the water bath to get them back to temp? They are about 1/2" thick and cooked at 143F.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Veritek83 posted:

Yeah I had two ziplock brand freezer bags leak and turn my flank steak into stew meat.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

taqueso posted:

I've got some sous vide pork cutlets in the fridge. When I heat them back up, about how long do I need to leave them in the water bath to get them back to temp? They are about 1/2" thick and cooked at 143F.

To get them up to ~130 degrees, 20 minutes in a 130 degree bath or 10 minutes in a 140 degree bath.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

To get them up to ~130 degrees, 20 minutes in a 130 degree bath or 10 minutes in a 140 degree bath.

Thanks. Is there any reason to use 130 degrees if they already went to more than 140?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
If you're running something at 130 already.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

taqueso posted:

Thanks. Is there any reason to use 130 degrees if they already went to more than 140?

It's plenty warm for eating, especially if you're still going to sear. Mostly I just pulled the number from my butt because you were not specific about it. If you want it warmer, go for it... you can bring it back up to 143 without cooking it any further.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Cool, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. They came out delicious and plenty warm.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Borrowed this from work... I guess our engineers have used them for testing.(maintaining human body temp i think?)

I made a helluva lot of mistakes, but... I think I've learned from them, and I'm definitely going to have to get one of these for myself!

Most serious error was trying to use these crappy zipper bags... Theye're not even close to air-tight. Next... I'm never buying this lovely pre-marinated tri tip from Safeway again.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

drukqs posted:

Borrowed this from work... I guess our engineers have used them for testing.(maintaining human body temp i think?)

Tomorrow morning Phil from the engineering department will be urgently reminding his coworkers to not steal your tritip sandwich out of the fridge. He uses that Anova to examine the corrosive effects of hot human urine on urinalysis machines.

PS. Costco has good tritip. * Accuracy of statement may vary by region.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 3, 2015

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more
Hey guys, I want to do some brisket for a party I'm having on Saturday. I have a Weber but have never used it before, should I bother pre-smoking or just put some liquid smoke in the bag?

Also I was going to do 60C for 48hrs, thoughts?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

drukqs posted:

I made a helluva lot of mistakes, but... I think I've learned from them, and I'm definitely going to have to get one of these for myself!

Most serious error was trying to use these crappy zipper bags... Theye're not even close to air-tight. Next... I'm never buying this lovely pre-marinated tri tip from Safeway again.

Your most serious error was in borrowing company culinary equipment that has absolutely not been used for unspecified unethical human experimentation purposes. Please return it to Dr Moreau at once.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I really like the Coleman party stacker 20 can cooler for sous vide. It's a bit deep for my Anova, but I've dropped a probe down to the bottom and it's the right temp with some visible circulation, so no problem. The smaller footprint than a cambro and the handle are both plusses as important as the insulation.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

bahahah no. They prop them up inside saline baths, any urine contamination is purely accidental

ALSO, my boss borrowed it a couple of weeks back, cooked a steak... and it sat unused until yesterday :)

-

Was going to spring for vac sealer and bags as well but I'm gonna hold off for now. I did try to order from Anova using the fathers day $50 off but something went awry with their cart. Disabled ad block/extensions, even tried IE... No dice.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

That Cambro is smaller than the ones I've typically seen used for sous vide... both of mine are 12x18 (~4.5 gallons) ones; that one you bought is 7x12 (~1.8 gallons). Did you pick that one on purpose? (If you're just doing steaks for yourself it's probably enough... dunno if you could comfortably squeeze a nice tritip in there though.)

Edit: http://www.amazon.com/Cambro-12189CW135-Polycarbonate-Camwear-4-75-Gallon/dp/B002NQB63E

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 4, 2015

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I use a little tiny cambro for sous vide most of the time since it's just me or maybe myself and one other person.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E0JM9A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Whenever I do a big cook, a 5 gallon cooler works really, really well and I can do ridiculous amounts of food and have a lot less of a problem with temp drop. Easier than the big cambro.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Choadmaster posted:

That Cambro is smaller than the ones I've typically seen used for sous vide... both of mine are 12x18 (~4.5 gallons) ones; that one you bought is 7x12 (~1.8 gallons). Did you pick that one on purpose? (If you're just doing steaks for yourself it's probably enough... dunno if you could comfortably squeeze a nice tritip in there though.)

Edit: http://www.amazon.com/Cambro-12189CW135-Polycarbonate-Camwear-4-75-Gallon/dp/B002NQB63E

yeah I was having a lot of trouble deciding on one, the containers are presented/listed in a way that made it difficult. That single review this item has reads "great for sous vide for feeding 2-3, I use this most often because my other one is 5 gallons" but, often times, those types of reviews are fabricated or posted by the seller.

I am concerned about this as well, I'll spam about it when it all arrives tomorrow.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What's this I'm hearing about a cheap sous vide machine? Is it this one http://store.anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-cooker with the $50 off code for $129?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The posts above were referencing the first gen.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's this I'm hearing about a cheap sous vide machine? Is it this one http://store.anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-cooker with the $50 off code for $129?

The discount code that brought the gen one down to $99 is now inactive, they sold out

BUT you can now use some fathers' day code to get the newer precision model w/ bluetooth down to $129

(people are reporting problems with that, though.)

((I just flat out could not get their shopping cart to function, PLUS I was not happy w/ their ground-only shipping))

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sansaire is shipping me a new unit, despite my original being long out of warranty. Yay!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I'd consider the ANOVA one to be a better buy. Phone connectivity is meh, and the older model can heat a larger quantity of water.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wifi connectivity would be cool, so I could see the temp wherever I was (but still utterly unnecessary). But short range bluetooth is bordering on useless.

Super happy with the Anova One so far though.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
That makes Anova and Sansaire confirmed as having done replacements outside of warantee. Why are the sous vide companies so nice? I've never heard of other companies sending replacements for products outside of the warantee.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

The profit margin on these things, R&D excluded, has to be massive. The sansaire especially is full of the cheapest plastic with the cheapest construction from the cheapest chinese factory, and when you get down to it its just a heater, a motor, a thermometer and a dead simple microcontroller. Keeping face with the current enthusiast community that makes up their customer base to foster wider adoption is critical.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Yeah, it's still a pretty niche market so good reputation/word of mouth is important.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
So I keep threatening to buy an Anova and get started, mainly because I don't have a gas stove or a grill and have no means to cook steak properly.

However, very soon I am going to join the 'Immune deficient' crowd that's constantly referred to. But I actually feel like this is a safer way to cook things but still enjoy eating, as long as I avoid any of the <130F nonsense, and shoot for the 'pasturized fully through' times. I'm just curious if anyone else has gone ahead with a sous vide machine with a immune compromised family member because it seems safer in theory, or if in practice nobody actually takes the risk.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I haven't but I absolutely would. I did use mine to pasteurize eggs so my wife could safely eat cookie dough when she was pregnant.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!

drukqs posted:

Was going to spring for vac sealer and bags as well but I'm gonna hold off for now. I did try to order from Anova using the fathers day $50 off but something went awry with their cart. Disabled ad block/extensions, even tried IE... No dice.

I had the same problem. Had to do it through my phone. I think it was some tracking script they run between their site and their shopify cart. Do you use an adblocking hosts file by chance (mvp etc?) I think that may have been the culprit.

The price for the precision came out pretty close to what the One would have been with amazon tax. Should be here this week excited to give it a try.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

One downsize to clipped ziplocks is all my chicken breasts end up the same weird log shape.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The bluetooth option seems a bit questionably worth it. Now, if it had WiFi, so you could access and adjust temperatures from anywhere, that'd be different.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Rescue Toaster posted:

So I keep threatening to buy an Anova and get started, mainly because I don't have a gas stove or a grill and have no means to cook steak properly.

However, very soon I am going to join the 'Immune deficient' crowd that's constantly referred to. But I actually feel like this is a safer way to cook things but still enjoy eating, as long as I avoid any of the <130F nonsense, and shoot for the 'pasturized fully through' times. I'm just curious if anyone else has gone ahead with a sous vide machine with a immune compromised family member because it seems safer in theory, or if in practice nobody actually takes the risk.

I have cooked sous vide for immune compromised people. I didn't purchase it specifically for that reason but whenever I would cook for this person I would lean towards sous vide and careful pasteurization times. I just didn't do anything like the barely cooked low temp salmon.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I haven't but I absolutely would. I did use mine to pasteurize eggs so my wife could safely eat cookie dough when she was pregnant.
Holy poo poo I see my future stretching out before me and it is a beautiful road of cookie dough

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

drukqs posted:

The discount code that brought the gen one down to $99 is now inactive, they sold out

BUT you can now use some fathers' day code to get the newer precision model w/ bluetooth down to $129

(people are reporting problems with that, though.)

((I just flat out could not get their shopping cart to function, PLUS I was not happy w/ their ground-only shipping))

Oh drat, that $99 would have been an instant buy for me. $129 is very tempting though but then I'd need to buy a vacuum sealer. Is that Anova one any good? I'm probably gonna buy end up buying it.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh drat, that $99 would have been an instant buy for me. $129 is very tempting though but then I'd need to buy a vacuum sealer. Is that Anova one any good? I'm probably gonna buy end up buying it.

I do like it, it's the one I bought. Though... I saw others comment about how the bluetooth functionality is sort of worthless, and I agree. Combine that with the fact that the app seems a bit amateurish/low quality... I would have been very happy with a $99 (or even $120ish) non BT verison.

If I had the time I would have maybe hunted around for one that somebody had purchased and was reselling for a modest profit.

-

This plastic bin is larger than I was expecting. Definitely only gonna get one large-ish piece of meat but.. That's about all I'm planning to do with it for now.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

I have cooked sous vide for immune compromised people. I didn't purchase it specifically for that reason but whenever I would cook for this person I would lean towards sous vide and careful pasteurization times. I just didn't do anything like the barely cooked low temp salmon.

Thanks. I feel like even if I shoot well into the pasteurized ranges, things will probably come out tasting better than me incinerating stuff with traditional cooking methods because I'm too worried about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

If I clip the bag to the pot and there's a bit of bag above the water line and I maybe didn't get a near-perfect vacuum in my ziplock bag, that's not a health issue, right?