Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

anthonypants posted:

Aww, man. The company I used to work for was a fairly large semitruck/tractor trailer dealership, but otherwise their setup was extremely similar to the one you described. ADP-managed routers that weren't managed by anyone in front of everything, and IT management was clueless and nepotistic enough to handwave away any potential issues. We once had one of their switches get unplugged because an AT&T rep went out to a location to reclaim some gear and unplugged poo poo that wasn't theirs. It was unplugged for months before ADP noticed anything was wrong. I do not miss that job.

I work at a MSP that strictly deals with automotive dealerships. I have to deal with ADP automotive IT services (CDK now) every day. I hate having to deal with their networking department and getting them to make configuration changes.

The Fool posted:

Small town car dealership, no c-level anything. Their IT guy is also the manager of their parts department.

Is this in Virginia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hungry Computer posted:

I'm willing to bet she just mistyped youtube.com as youtuve.com or something. That seems to be the source of every "Youtube says I have a virus!!!" ticket I've responded to. Even better when the typo becomes the site Chrome or Firefox start auto completing to.

fake edit:
youtuve was just the first typo that came to mind, it I just checked and it indeed is one of those fake antivirus pages...

Actually I looked at her browser history and it appears to have been something she clicked on from an email, as personal email and Youtube (she searched Bing for 'UTUBE' several times) were the only sites she was accessing around 8:30pm last night.

The site she ended up at was: http://www. bluescreenerror. co/ WINDOWS%20HEALTH%20IS%20CRITICAL_files/placeholder.htm . You don't want to click that OR paste it into a browser. Its just some obnoxious website that gives you a million pop-ups that you can never quit out of, enough for someone not computer literate to think "oh poo poo I've got a virus!" I suppose I should be glad she bothered to call me at all, but yeah I'm really not.

My boss is having a chat with her later.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Dick Boat posted:

I work at a MSP that strictly deals with automotive dealerships. I have to deal with ADP automotive IT services (CDK now) every day. I hate having to deal with their networking department and getting them to make configuration changes.

I'm having flashbacks to dealing with Reynolds and Reynolds aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Crowley posted:

That sounds like a company I've been dealing with before. If the guy's name is Simon and they're based, um.. "within driving distance of Heathrow" you can expect a diverse and whacky/nerdy-yet-wonderful set of people that really cares about the company. Oh, and from a client viewpoint their product is awesome too.

Nope, George, and their official base is DC, as far as I can tell.

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

go3 posted:

I'm having flashbacks to dealing with Reynolds and Reynolds aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Yep we deal with them too.

Got a ton of screen numbers memorized too. Shoutouts to NET printers.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dick Boat posted:

Is this in Virginia?

Alaska

go3 posted:

I have another client that's on Reynolds and Reynolds that I do more regular work for. This client is even worse, since they're also part of a chain, and I only work with the one local dealership. Their parent company treats them like a red headed step child, and they're always scrounging for parts to try to get something working.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 4, 2015

elcapjtk
Mar 14, 2005
Some people say I am a terrible person.

Sirotan posted:

Actually I looked at her browser history and it appears to have been something she clicked on from an email, as personal email and Youtube (she searched Bing for 'UTUBE' several times) were the only sites she was accessing around 8:30pm last night.

The site she ended up at was: http://www. bluescreenerror. co/ WINDOWS%20HEALTH%20IS%20CRITICAL_files/placeholder.htm . You don't want to click that OR paste it into a browser. Its just some obnoxious website that gives you a million pop-ups that you can never quit out of, enough for someone not computer literate to think "oh poo poo I've got a virus!" I suppose I should be glad she bothered to call me at all, but yeah I'm really not.

My boss is having a chat with her later.

Oh god I feel your pain.

Had a grad student decide that they wanted to install a pdf reader on a machine dedicated to another purpose. They installed some poo poo not acrobat thing that came with whole bunches of fun things.

When I was able to diagnose the problem and start working on it, the grad student did the "simple dog" hyperbole and a half thing of making a high pitched "eeeeeeeeee" noise and hovering over me very much uncomfortably close.

Luckily the user was only a user, and not on a machine that for some god forsaken reason has software that requires them to run as admin, and so everything was sitting like a nice pile of poop on the user's account, in general, easy to fix, and spawned a whole bunch of "Don't install stuff on machines." e-mails.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Sirotan posted:

she searched Bing for 'UTUBE' several times

This is poetry. How can you not know how to spell YouTube?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RyuHimora posted:

Semi-related:

The other day I watched somebody type "Google" into the address bar in Chrome, click the first Google result for it, then type their search into the search bar that came up now that they were on Google proper.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Inspector_666 posted:

Semi-related:

The other day I watched somebody type "Google" into the address bar in Chrome, click the first Google result for it, then type their search into the search bar that came up now that they were on Google proper.

My in laws do that but replace Google with aol.

My mother in law asked my wife if there was a way to "print pictures from Facebook" but she just meant download.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Spiceworks is now alive and well on our network. I could just cry :allears:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

Spiceworks is now alive and well on our network. I could just cry :allears:

Sweet - now, all you need is the ability to enforce "no ticket, no action taken" and someone to back that up!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Inspector_666 posted:

Semi-related:

I can't get my mom to stop Googling URLs. She says it's "easier" than just typing it in the address bar. I just don't get it. I guess it should screen out potential youtuve-type issues at least.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Sirotan posted:

A bunny came in...

:3: :3:

Late to the party (sorry, I'm a week behind the thread right now). But I see your office rabbit, and raise you an office African Pygmy Hedgehog. Her name is Rue and she was also there for a handoff. :-3

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The Fool posted:

Alaska

I have another client that's on Reynolds and Reynolds that I do more regular work for. This client is even worse, since they're also part of a chain, and I only work with the one local dealership. Their parent company treats them like a red headed step child, and they're always scrounging for parts to try to get something working.

Whereabouts in Alaska?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Whereabouts in Alaska?

I live and work in the largest interior population center for 400 miles.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 4, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

go3 posted:

Oh Christ I'll never forget the loving saga of the impact printer. Back in my dealership days, one of the clerks needed a new line printer since her 1988 model died on her. I told my supervisor there was really no fixing it and we should buy a new one from R&R. He insisted that we didn't need to buy it from them and we could get it cheaper somewhere else. I fought him on it saying we should just go with the vendor supplied and approved model. He overrode me and told me to find one on eBay. I found one for $1,500 and bought it. It came in, I set it up, and nothing would print to it out of ERA. You could print from anywhere else, but not ERA.

He told me to call R&R support and tell them we bought it from them. I did as commanded and spent the next several days trying to figure it out with support. They finally figured out we most certainly did not buy it from them and ceased all support on it, saying that no other printer will work because ERA only prints to Reynold's branded printers because they have a special identification chip in them.

Long story short we ended up buying one from them for $5k and selling the eBay one for $1,700.

I then learned how to remove the ID chips from old printers and install them in new printers.

gently caress you, ReyRey.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

RyuHimora posted:

For a time utube.com used to have a landing page that if you were looking for videos about things other than tubes and pipes, you should go to youtube.com

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

Oh Christ I'll never forget the loving saga of the impact printer. Back in my dealership days, one of the clerks needed a new line printer since her 1988 model died on her. I told my supervisor there was really no fixing it and we should buy a new one from R&R. He insisted that we didn't need to buy it from them and we could get it cheaper somewhere else. I fought him on it saying we should just go with the vendor supplied and approved model. He overrode me and told me to find one on eBay. I found one for $1,500 and bought it. It came in, I set it up, and nothing would print to it out of ERA. You could print from anywhere else, but not ERA.

He told me to call R&R support and tell them we bought it from them. I did as commanded and spent the next several days trying to figure it out with support. They finally figured out we most certainly did not buy it from them and ceased all support on it, saying that no other printer will work because ERA only prints to Reynold's branded printers because they have a special identification chip in them.

Long story short we ended up buying one from them for $5k and selling the eBay one for $1,700.

I then learned how to remove the ID chips from old printers and install them in new printers.

Cool! You made a profit!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Bigass Moth posted:

My in laws do that but replace Google with aol.

My mother in law asked my wife if there was a way to "print pictures from Facebook" but she just meant download.

I love my folks, my dad is pretty tech-savvy but even though my mom isn't, she's at least willing to learn. It was actually kinda funny the other day, she got a new Android phone and somehow accidentally activated a doodle app, so when she'd swipe it would draw lines and stuff on screen. The confused look on her face was golden, even my dad was like "Ozz, what the hell's happening here?" after fiddling with it for a minute.

Funny enough, dad's been out of the hardware tech loop for a bit when it comes to building/repairing PCs, he's used Macs for work and home for a while. It was fun seeing him genuinely blown away when I gave him my old AMD quad system to play a flight sim game he just bought (played like rear end on his little Macbook, for obvious reasons) and helping explain stuff like AA, HDR, AF, and all the fancy graphics eye candy that could be cranked up. It's not a super beastly PC (Phenom x4 965 @ 3.6, Radeon HD 6970 2GB, 8GB DDR3, 160GB SSD) but definitely gets the job done for his needs :)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

Most of my ReyRey related printer nightmares went away when we finally got rid of the last serial network server. (in 2013)

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

The Fool posted:

Most of my ReyRey related printer nightmares went away when we finally got rid of the last serial network server. (in 2013)

The dealership I left, that wouldn't hire me back, that still calls on me for tech support (at $150 an hour) is still running serial networks. Which is bizarre since ReyRey announced they would no longer be operational after a certain date. The dealership is so cheap they hired some guy to figure out a way to make it keep working.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Haha, I love how this spammer just has given up on conceiling what it is about :

(that's the entire message, apart from the no doubt malicious attachment that was blocked)

I'm sure he's finding out it works about equally as well as all the fake Western Union and UPS messages and what not.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

A ticket went out....

to our Payroll software vendor for support. They got back to me and asked me to initiate a Teamviewer session to our server. I opened a RDP connection via Remote Desktop Connection Manager. started their Teamviewer .exe and all was good.

I backgrounded the window so as to not disconnect them when minimising the window.

I go back to working in MSSQL Studio and then my mouse starts moving around on its own.

So it appears that a teamviewer session running on an RDP session in RDCM 2.7 can interact with the host machine. They cant see what theyre doing, but anything that aligns with what they are clicking on will get selected.

Tto get this to stop I just reconnected to my session on the server with mstsc.exe but holy moly thats probably an easy thing to exploit.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

gently caress printers

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Migishu posted:

gently caress printers

That's a nice close second to my favorite Message Box ever:

:ohdear: I think so?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Mo_Steel posted:

:ohdear: I think so?
You obviously haven't been working on printers that long.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

COMPANYNAME,

Can you please confirm that you are retaining 5 snapshot revisions of each virtual machine in CUSTOMERCLUSTER as part of the daily backup process?

Thanks,

CUSTOMERNAME
:pwn:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Time to sell them on storage.

Lots and lots of storage.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Five times the revisions, five times the security..!!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
late to the party, but HOLY poo poo this thread!

anthonypants posted:

Oh my god he left a voicemail too

http://tindeck.com/listen/xbbtk

I can't stop listening to this. It's both humorous and horrifying. It begs to be turned into some heavy metal techno internet meme.
I think I just found my new ringtone.

Update on the iPad situation:
Director has been told multiple times by both IT and her superiors that we're not buying iPads right now.
I don't know why, she keeps emailing me directly, but I am not replying. I'm just forwarding the emails right on up the chain.

quote:

Hi, gnarlycharlie4u. I think we left this issue off with: Once OCOM buys our iPads, how do we connect/create new connectivity? I know OCOM will pay for the monthly bill, but how do we set that up?

quote:

Hi there. Should I just go to Verizon and set up accounts? Is that better than working through the mass Verizon plan? We're still not positive if we're getting iPads or Galaxy Tabs. We played with iPads at the Apple Store last week and will go to Best Buy this week to look at the Galaxy. Please let us know of any restrictions we should be aware of.

Yes, how about that "no iPad/android" restriction you keep ignoring.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
$20 says she buys them, gets the service plan, uses it as fiat acompli and then tries to throw you under the bus when they can't be returned

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

"fiat accompli" is a wonderful phrase, you should probably trademark it.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

"fiat accompli" is a wonderful phrase

"fiat accompli" ain't no passing craze

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like, the last five days backups, or five copies of the same backup on the same backup system?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

OwlFancier posted:

Like, the last five days backups, or five copies of the same backup on the same backup system?
I really hope it's incremental backups and not actual vm snapshots.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Laserface posted:

A ticket went out....

to our Payroll software vendor for support. They got back to me and asked me to initiate a Teamviewer session to our server. I opened a RDP connection via Remote Desktop Connection Manager. started their Teamviewer .exe and all was good.

I backgrounded the window so as to not disconnect them when minimising the window.

I go back to working in MSSQL Studio and then my mouse starts moving around on its own.

So it appears that a teamviewer session running on an RDP session in RDCM 2.7 can interact with the host machine. They cant see what theyre doing, but anything that aligns with what they are clicking on will get selected.

Tto get this to stop I just reconnected to my session on the server with mstsc.exe but holy moly thats probably an easy thing to exploit.

The lesson is a) don't run Teamviewer or other stuff like that directly on a server and b) have a VM you use for nothing but Webex and Teamviewer that you then RDP into the server in question once the session sharing starts.

Also c) have many monitors so you can stick the VM console somewhere and watch what they're doing while you work.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Erwin posted:

The lesson is a) don't run Teamviewer or other stuff like that directly on a server
Yeah seriously, what the hell

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

anthonypants posted:

I really hope it's incremental backups and not actual vm snapshots.

And yet deep down we all know it's the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Not sure where to put this, but anyways. Maybe someone here can help!

We are going to be getting several Motorola ET1 android tablets. They are going to be used for running a handful of internal only apps for inventory scanning. They will be connected to a internal only network with NO internet access. The devices run a fairly stripped down version of Android with no Google services.

The main app we will be using reads its settings from a file on the SD card. We may have to occasionally make changes to this file, but need a way to push this changed file to each device without touching each one.. Anyone know of an app that might accomplish this? Even if it was something running on the tablet that would just re-download the file on a schedule from a network share or URL that would work..

• Locked thread