Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Samael posted:

I bought Omnitell and practically no one in my country plays legacy.

Now modern, that's a different story. I need to work out what modern deck I should trade into... (Probably something with hierarchs in it, because I have already have a playset of those), maybe infect? I don't know :confused:

Play Junk Gifts :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Samael posted:

Now modern, that's a different story. I need to work out what modern deck I should trade into... (Probably something with hierarchs in it, because I have already have a playset of those), maybe infect? I don't know :confused:

If you've got Hierarchs, some number of green fetches and Breeding Pools, you're most of the way there already.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Play Junk Gifts :getin:

Please say that is a deck and you aren't lying to me because I want to build that monstrosity.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Omnitell needs literally no duals

gently caress you, buy Omnitell

you deffo want Volcanics if you are playing Omnitell

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Samael posted:

Please say that is a deck and you aren't lying to me because I want to build that monstrosity.

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/4-color-gifts-control-in-modern/

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Entropic posted:

I've yet to see anyone successfully use Cathodion mana in this set. It's still a 3 mana 3/3 though and I've yet to see a draft set where that's not playable.

Cathodion is really good with Mortar Pod. I've used it to get enough mana to do those last couple points of damage.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cactrot posted:

If you've got Hierarchs, some number of green fetches and Breeding Pools, you're most of the way there already.

Yeah, the only other remotely expensive stuff Infect runs are Inkmoth Nexuses and the criminally overpriced uncommon Might of Old Krosa.

Bugsy posted:

Cathodion is really good with Mortar Pod. I've used it to get enough mana to do those last couple points of damage.

Mortarpod or Bone Splinters definitely seem like the ways you actually reliably get value out of it.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Entropic posted:

Yeah, the only other remotely expensive stuff Infect runs are Inkmoth Nexuses and the criminally overpriced uncommon Might of Old Krosa.

Don't ever try to foil out Infect, apparently

Might of Old Krosa posted:

Foil Median: $39.99
http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/time-spiral/might-of-old-krosa

:gonk:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
They really need to get on reprinting some of those ridiculous commons and uncommon. Serum Visions promo is a good start, but we really need reprints of Might of Old Krosa, Inquisition of Kozilek, Aven Mindcensor, and Gitaxian Probe (which I'm surprised wasn't in MM2).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Entropic posted:

They really need to get on reprinting some of those ridiculous commons and uncommon. Serum Visions promo is a good start, but we really need reprints of Might of Old Krosa, Inquisition of Kozilek, Aven Mindcensor, and Gitaxian Probe (which I'm surprised wasn't in MM2).

That's actually a good question. What modern era uncommons are the most expensive? (Not necessarily modern-legal. But from those sets.)
Top, Vial, Counterbalance, Heritage Druid, Shardless Agent, Mindcensor, Pendelhaven, in that order.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AgentSythe posted:

you deffo want Volcanics if you are playing Omnitell

There it is!

Shame my two favorite colors have the most expensive sets of any dual ever made ever.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

That's actually a good question. What modern era uncommons are the most expensive? (Not necessarily modern-legal. But from those sets.)
Top, Vial, Counterbalance, Heritage Druid, Shardless Agent, Mindcensor, Pendelhaven, in that order.

Shardless Agent doesn't really count :v:

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I like Cathodion a lot because it was printed as an undercosted beater with a drawback but it still works in a modern context as a slightly above curve dude with slight upside

I think you guys are right about sickleslicer and I'd cut a thoughtcast for it probably

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

There it is!

Shame my two favorite colors have the most expensive sets of any dual ever made ever.

At least you only need 2 Volcs for Omni Tell and not a set lol

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Count Bleck posted:

There it is!

It is a shame that my favorite colors are :insert most dominate colors: because gently caress its expensive.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

It is a shame that my favorite colors are :insert most dominate colors: because gently caress its expensive.

It's funny because I just play Temur Company in standard, and Burn and Merfolk in Modern. :v:

Maybe I should just turn men sideways forever and play something bad in Legacy, like Goblins, or Merfolk.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

It's funny because I just play Temur Company in standard, and Burn and Merfolk in Modern. :v:

Maybe I should just turn men sideways forever and play something bad in Legacy, like Goblins, or Merfolk.

Dredge is where the cool kids hang. :c00lbert:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AlternateNu posted:

I couldn't possibly play a deck that runs the risk of getting worse everytime Nagle leads a set.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Burn is the most annoying Modern matchup ever.

On the plus side, most Modern burn pilots are just looking for a cheap deck and aren't very good at piloting the deck, especially on MODO.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

I couldn't possibly play a deck that runs the risk of getting worse everytime Nagle leads a set.

There's only so much Graveyard hate a person can run in their deck before it starts bogging things down. I don't foresee any additional graveyard hate cards having a profound effect on Dredge when possible maindeck hate in the form of Deathrite Shaman plus game ending sideboard hate like Rest in Peace and Leyline of the Void already exist.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Entropic posted:

I've yet to see anyone successfully use Cathodion mana in this set. It's still a 3 mana 3/3 though and I've yet to see a draft set where that's not playable.

I used it yesterday to Cast Nameless Inversion during the combat step, after damage. I also cast Dismember immediately afterwards for B and 4 life, completely forgetting to use the other mana from Cathodion to save myself 2 life.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Dredge is a cool deck in legacy because that and reanimator people sort of forget about after a while, then you show up and punch them in the face with it

also getting really good at dredge (I am not good at all) is really rewarding and gives you a chance to win every game

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Samael posted:

Any kind of Sorin Markov/Hidetsugu's Second Rite deck is basically unbeatable.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

AgentSythe posted:

Dredge is a cool deck in legacy because that and reanimator people sort of forget about after a while, then you show up and punch them in the face with it

also getting really good at dredge (I am not good at all) is really rewarding and gives you a chance to win every game

Same applies to Solidarity, a lot of nontraditional engine decks are like that, where there are these insane lines of play that can get out of any situation, that really aren't apparent to all but the most Savant players.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Samael posted:

It's a deck.

That plays Goyfs.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Okay I know I was told to play Swiss but this is loving ridiculous.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Count Bleck posted:

No Nameless Inversion. Deck sucks.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ShaneB posted:

No Nameless Inversion. Deck sucks.

Literally the only thing this deck is missing.

I actually had to cut a Thief of Hope to get the curve to be less poo poo.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Yeah, on Mtgo Swiss is essentially super-easy mode.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Fb. That deck is OK not amazing. No nameless, no Procession or Devouring Greed and for god's sake don't play Death Denied.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Fb. That deck is OK not amazing. No nameless, no Procession or Devouring Greed and for god's sake don't play Death Denied.

Death Denied is one of those weird cards that was insane in its original format but never makes the cut for me in MM draft. Test of Faith from MM1 was also like this

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Fantastic discussion on one of the facebook groups for buy/sell/trade

its a fake price guy ought to go hook up with MTGS they're not real magic cards guy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Spirits is a mega mediocre deck in MM15 if you don't have Nameless Inversion and ideally, multiples.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

Spirits is a mega mediocre deck in MM15 if you don't have Nameless Inversion and ideally, multiples.

I was 100% serious in my post, by the way. Spirits isn't that great without the inversion removal.

No devouring greed is also very bad.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

jassi007 posted:

Fantastic discussion on one of the facebook groups for buy/sell/trade

its a fake price guy ought to go hook up with MTGS they're not real magic cards guy.

No it doesn't have to be about "Now." It just has to be cards that I've opened from packs myself that belong to the original, core Magic: The Gathering game. Core sets and expansions. And beyond 9th Edition even the core sets don't feel totally authentic to me, as they took on black borders and began reprinting cards like Phage, which did not belong in core sets. But the core set is over now, and that makes sense.

When I first began my current collection last year, I started with boxes like Legions, Scourge and Planeshift, and then moved onto the more current stuff.

Anyways, you say that not every product has to be collectible. I agree. I wasn't saying they shouldn't have printed Modern Masters. I was just saying that those cards are reprints with an expansion symbol on them that doesn't belong to any set from the Magic: The Gathering game, so you're made very aware all the time that you're holding a reprint-for-the-sake-of-easy-accessibiliy card in your hand, rather than one that came from a set that Wizards printed to continue the lineage of the game.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lottery of Babylon posted:

When I first began my current collection last year, I started with boxes like Legions, Scourge and Planeshift, and then moved onto the more current stuff.

Poster who started collecting last year giving lessons on what represents authenticity in Magic cards. Seems sensible.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Sickening posted:

How can variance be eliminated?

THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Poster who started collecting last year giving lessons on what represents authenticity in Magic cards. Seems sensible.

Victim No. 74.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

ShaneB posted:

I never said that I considered Arcanis from 10th Edition to be the same as Arcanis from Onslaught. I got a box of 10th Edition when it came out, and I had a lot of fun opening those packs, and it felt cool to have an Arcanis in the new card frame with that gold X symbol on it, but it didn't feel to me like an authentic Arcanis. I wouldn't have said to somebody "I got Arcanis" or "I have Arcanis" in the same way I would have if I had the Onslaught card. I felt like Arcanis was an Onslaught card and I had obtained a reprint of it that could be used in games but was by no means the same as the Onslaught card in the context of the collectible side of the game. I mentioned Phage as another example earlier, and clarified that I am being consistent with this. Furthermore, the fact that 10th Edition had a black border felt weird to me as well.. the white borders for previous core sets set them apart from the expansions, so even if there was a reprint from an expansion it was very clear that this one belonged in the core set game and was not as serious a card from a collectors perspective.

However, Arcanis from 10th Edition is a more collectible piece from my perspective than Arcanis from a dual deck, and 0evil_overlord0 more or less explained why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
If I wanted to read mtgsalvation I would not be here.

Seriously those posts would go great in my Dead horses EDH deck.

• Locked thread