Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kajeto
Mar 27, 2004
Instrumento De Muerte
Sorry if this has been asked before, but this thread moves quite fast. I've never played the previous games before this one, and when I began playing I chose to simulate a save from Witcher 2 not fully knowing what that meant. It seems I will have to make some decisions at some point at the beginning? (I'm only a few hours in), or should I just restart the game and choose not to simulate? Not sure what the best option would be. TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I am shocked to not find any African Americans in Skellige or Novigrad.

This but actual surprise.

Edit: As in I think that there should be more people of different ethnicity/cultures in this and other video games.

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 4, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
A year ago the minorities thread would have a field day with that sort of thing, and now people are arguing in favour of the lack of coloured NPCs. How the cycle goes. :allears:

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

kajeto posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but this thread moves quite fast. I've never played the previous games before this one, and when I began playing I chose to simulate a save from Witcher 2 not fully knowing what that meant. It seems I will have to make some decisions at some point at the beginning? (I'm only a few hours in), or should I just restart the game and choose not to simulate? Not sure what the best option would be. TIA

I'm in the same boat, there's a bit later on the game where a character asks you about the events of Witcher 1 and 2, specifically the choices you made that caused the storylines of those games to significantly branch. So far, I've only encountered one thing that's different based on your answers, but I'm guessing it influences your interactions with any characters you've seen before who were affected by what you did/didn't do.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Voyager I posted:

One of your Black Archers and Auxiliary Archers come from a person in distress in Velen. He's on the moderately large island a bit to the east of Claywich, and returns to Claywich after being rescued.. Your spies, unfortunately, are all random drops, and the ridiculously good Emperor ability that really sets Nilfgaard above Northern Realms is a reward for beating an opponent in the Gwent tournament. It takes some work getting proper Nilfgaard deck running.

I wouldn't worry about the Imperia Brigade. There are only four of them and they're not terribly good compared to other options.
I have released every person in distress and later talked to every merchant in Velen twice trying to get those cards and no one has them. I do not know if it is a bug or I am missing someone or what, but I will double check the town in question once I am home tonight. I dont have enough heroes and spies so it really doesnt matter, I dont think. Thanks for the info either way :)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

poptart_fairy posted:

A year ago the minorities thread would have a field day with that sort of thing, and now people are arguing in favour of the lack of coloured NPCs. How the cycle goes. :allears:

It's like you're desperately trying to stay relevant somehow, poptart. No one's arguing in favor of the lack of colored npcs, but for equitable diversity in the setting with perhaps a bias towards the country of production balanced by a few slight other factors.

No one is saying 'thank goodness there aren't any black people in the game'. Except for maybe the polygon blogger, so he could complain about something.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 4, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Drifter posted:

It's like you're desperately trying to stay relevant somehow, poptart. No one's arguing in favor of the lack of colored npcs, but for equitable diversity in the setting with a bias towards the country of production.

We have people using realism as a reason for it, buddy.

I just think it's funny that the same arguments once castrated are now being used in defense of the witcher because it's a goon darling. That inconsistency is funny as hell and I've noticed it for a lot more than ethics in ethnics.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Unfunny Poster posted:

So Polygon posted this opinion piece about the lack of people's of color in Witcher 3 - http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/3/8719389/colorblind-on-witcher-3-rust-and-gamings-race-problem

why would you post this

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Blue Raider posted:

why would you post this

There's a loving hashtag for that poo poo now. I hate every-loving-one on the Internet. gently caress this world. :mad:

Death March playthrough is progressing. I made it past the Griffin and on the way to the Baron, but holy poo poo. I'm more on my toes now because a random group could just wallop me like nothing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Blue Raider posted:

why would you post this

Some people like to watch.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

8-bit Miniboss posted:

There's a loving hashtag for that poo poo now. I hate every-loving-one on the Internet. gently caress this world. :mad:

Death March playthrough is progressing. I made it past the Griffin and on the way to the Baron, but holy poo poo. I'm more on my toes now because a random group could just wallop me like nothing.

Once you get to around level 12 or so the difficulty curve will break even on DM. The only thing you'll need to really worry about is ?? enemies, who seem to take no damage at all from your attacks and will very likely one shot your arse.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

We have people using realism as a reason for it, buddy.

I just think it's funny that the same arguments once castrated are now being used in defense of the witcher because it's a goon darling. That inconsistency is funny as hell and I've noticed it for a lot more than ethics in ethnics.

the old castrated arguments (lol) are tiresome as gently caress and normal people got sick of being browbeaten by weirdo busybodies like you over poo poo that doesnt matter

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Blue Raider posted:

the old castrated arguments (lol) are tiresome as gently caress and normal people got sick of being browbeaten by weirdo busybodies like you over poo poo that doesnt matter

Funnily enough I was one of the people getting browbeaten for not caring enough. :ironicat:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

In case anyone was wondering, there is at least one reference to Alvin from the first game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaJHwWa-GkU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Did I just hear someone say "The Eternal Fire will protect us! It gives monsters the shits!"?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Playing Gwent is really frustrating for me now. I'm at the point where I have seemingly bought all the cards I can and beat all the low level shopkeeps and such, but I can't beat any of the guys in the Gwent: Velen Players quest (except for the Soothsayer, who gave me I card I can't even use). All these guys have hero cards and 20 spies and 8 decoys in their decks, and I don't stand a chance. So I'm in this weird limbo where there's no one on my level I can play against and seemingly no way to get better cards except against these super hard guys.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Funnily enough I was one of the people getting browbeaten for not caring enough. :ironicat:

ya know, i believe it. unfortunately

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blue Raider posted:

why would you post this

Something sorta like this

Drifter posted:

Some people like to watch.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

#GoonsSoWhite

Spikeguy posted:

In case anyone was wondering, there is at least one reference to Alvin from the first game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaJHwWa-GkU

I am tempted to go back and play Witcher 1 & 2 to completion before the season pass comes out.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Did I just hear someone say "The Eternal Fire will protect us! It gives monsters the shits!"?

I swear there's a guard in Novigrad that says the "Maybe, Maybe Not, Maybe gently caress You" line from The Departed. The random dialogue NPCs give is pretty great.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 4, 2015

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
HOT POLYGON SEX

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Game is full of minorities. poo poo, probably a third of the Witcher contracts you get have you going after something sentient and not 100% evil. Elves, dwarves, halflings, dopplers, there are all kinds of neat and grotesque social dynamics that get explored. Only a handful of people you meet have dark skin, but given the appalling ignorance of the Velen peasantry, the violent bigotry and corruption of the eternal flame and Radovid's witch hunters in Novigrad, and the violent viking caricatures of Skellige, it's not like there's any shying away from the idea of how "basically us, just slightly superficially different" fits into the world.

The game tells its story well and completely.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Sorry, got a bit lost in the drama... did the PC patch hit?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Feenix posted:

Sorry, got a bit lost in the drama... did the PC patch hit?

No, not this week. They're working through a Polish holiday and the weekend to get it out by next week.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Playing Gwent is really frustrating for me now. I'm at the point where I have seemingly bought all the cards I can and beat all the low level shopkeeps and such, but I can't beat any of the guys in the Gwent: Velen Players quest (except for the Soothsayer, who gave me I card I can't even use). All these guys have hero cards and 20 spies and 8 decoys in their decks, and I don't stand a chance. So I'm in this weird limbo where there's no one on my level I can play against and seemingly no way to get better cards except against these super hard guys.

What's your strategy? In my deck, I've removed all weathers except 1 melee and 1 siege (I'm using the Foltest ranged weather leader). Prioritize Decoys, and Horns, and limit your unit deck to only the minimum required with only the strongest or most useful included (I'm on the fence about Poor loving Infantry now just because they could be a good throwaway...but it seems like too great an expense when you could have a 6+ power guy instead).

You want your starting hand to have a least one spy in it, and ideally a decoy. If you can manage one or two spies in your starting hand there's a good chance you'll be in great shape by playing the first round to lose big. The trifecta is if you can decoy a spy they played on you to replay it back on them and regain the card advantage (having as many or more cards as opponent). It's phenominal when you get 2+ spies in your hand, with 2 decoys, and you're up against a spy heavy opponent. Sometimes in the first round if they're spy heavy (and they usually are), they'll pass if they're ahead by 10-20 giving you a win. Then you decide on the second round if it's worth it to go hog wild, or let them burn even more of their leaders/etc that they've still got.

The one thing is to always use your leader ability...I get so much more value out of default Foltest when I play him as a card-less turn then the off-chance when I actually need the fog. Doing that can sometime let you not spend a card while pushing the opponent to get card closer to zero. Anyhow, that's been my strategy so far and I just beat Stjepan the big, mean jerk the other day and the rando's in Velen that come after him so it seems pretty solid so far.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Cephalocidal posted:

Game is full of minorities. poo poo, probably a third of the Witcher contracts you get have you going after something sentient and not 100% evil. Elves, dwarves, halflings, dopplers, there are all kinds of neat and grotesque social dynamics that get explored. Only a handful of people you meet have dark skin, but given the appalling ignorance of the Velen peasantry, the violent bigotry and corruption of the eternal flame and Radovid's witch hunters in Novigrad, and the violent viking caricatures of Skellige, it's not like there's any shying away from the idea of how "basically us, just slightly superficially different" fits into the world.

The game tells its story well and completely.

That's a perfectly fair thing, but the reason it doesn't quite fly is that the white dudes are still being played by white dudes. There's a black woman in the game, which is cool, but she's also a demon that kills people with sex. Which is also totally awesome, except then you get into that whole representation thing.

Also Gwent is terrifically addicting and oh my god I started playing it way too late, I have the worst cards and everything is terrible. Something for my next playthrough as Card Shark Geralt, at least. Where's my reflective sunglasses DLC, CDProjekt?

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 4, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bort Bortles posted:

I have released every person in distress and later talked to every merchant in Velen twice trying to get those cards and no one has them. I do not know if it is a bug or I am missing someone or what, but I will double check the town in question once I am home tonight. I dont have enough heroes and spies so it really doesnt matter, I dont think. Thanks for the info either way :)

I definitely had to stalk down that particular merchant in Claywich Village for the two archer cards. I don't think there's anything else of consequence there and the persons in distress take some time to return to their shops, so it's very possible you missed it.

Re: lack of skin color diversity, it's a fair point but the game also has elf ghettos, wizard inquisitions, and homosexuality seems to be pretty uncool. The game setting, plot, and dialogue deal with race-based conflict (a lot more in Witcher 1 & 2, granted) it's just that the bigotry is based on pointy ears and height rather than skin tone. You could swap in a wider palette of skin tones for the inhabitants of the Witcher world, but that would be purely superficial.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Here's how to play Gwent:

Step 1: See there's a quest or option to play Gwent
Step 2: Laugh and say No Thank You
Step 3: Continue playing the good parts of the game instead

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Campbell posted:

What's your strategy? In my deck, I've removed all weathers except 1 melee and 1 siege (I'm using the Foltest ranged weather leader). Prioritize Decoys, and Horns, and limit your unit deck to only the minimum required with only the strongest or most useful included (I'm on the fence about Poor loving Infantry now just because they could be a good throwaway...but it seems like too great an expense when you could have a 6+ power guy instead).

That's kinda how my deck is now, and short of getting lucky I don't even get close to beating the Velen quest players.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

That's kinda how my deck is now, and short of getting lucky I don't even get close to beating the Velen quest players.

Honestly beating the Baron is the hardest out of all the Gwent quest players. Once I got him I rolled through the rest of the Velen quest. Make sure you beat every inn keeper, blacksmith, and item vendor in Velen to get as many cards as possible. Visit every innkeeper to purchase cards, including innkeepers in Novigrad and Oxenfurt. Then put together a deck as Campbell described and its really hard to not win unless you just don't understand how to play the game. Baiting opponents into playing all their good poo poo and then throwing the round is one of the most important skills you can have as well.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I remember there being a quest of some sort to beat the Baron to get a card, but I can't do that now. I haven't been to Novigrad yet.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

What's the last main quest you've finished? There are some villages in Velen that have cards/players that are wayyyy the heck out in the boondocks. You might just have to go looking for villages a little bit.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
My early game deck relied on siege units + frost/fog + luck in my favor. Keep a bare minimum of units in your deck, decoys are OP, and swap in/out weather cards based on what your opponent is running. Eventually you'll win/buy spies and start earning hero cards and become unstoppable.

There is a quest in Novigrad involving an old friend that will net you at least one good card for your deck and doesn't involve playing cards do try to find that if you haven't already.

Also the Baron is not in Novigrad, hth

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Can anyone point me to where I can get some Vampire Oil? I have the Enhanced and Superior recipes but am level 17 and cannot find the basic recipe. I have seen all the alchemists on the main contintent...do I have to go to the good one on Skillige (that I have not been to yet)?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Campbell posted:

What's the last main quest you've finished? There are some villages in Velen that have cards/players that are wayyyy the heck out in the boondocks. You might just have to go looking for villages a little bit.

The last main quest I did was the Baron/Crones stuff, and now I'm pointed towards going to Novigrad. But I wanted to clean up some quests in Velen first, including this Gwent one. the quest points to people out in the middle of nowhere (who have extremely good cards), so I think I already found those guys.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
If you need a Good Card, play the Oxenfurt innkeeper--he gives a hero medic (yenn! :3: ) that can add a good amount of juice to your game.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I remember there being a quest of some sort to beat the Baron to get a card, but I can't do that now. I haven't been to Novigrad yet.

What Velen player quest are you talking about then. For Gwent Players: Velen, he's the first person you have to beat for the quest. If you didn't beat him before the Baron/Crones stuff, I think you can still find his card in his mansion (which you should do because its a crucial card for the early Gwent matches).

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Bort Bortles posted:

Can anyone point me to where I can get some Vampire Oil? I have the Enhanced and Superior recipes but am level 17 and cannot find the basic recipe. I have seen all the alchemists on the main contintent...do I have to go to the good one on Skillige (that I have not been to yet)?

Hit up all of the herbalists, if that fails hope for the RNG to bless you with the recipe in a loot container.

It's a dumb system. There should be fixed amateur/journeyman alchemy vendors that sell all of the recipes. I'm level 35 and still don't have superior versions of half of the oils.

Oh and I gave up trying to find more ekimmara hides at one point and used a console command, otherwise it would be worse

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 4, 2015

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

mikeraskol posted:

What Velen player quest are you talking about then. For Gwent Players: Velen, he's the first person you have to beat for the quest.

In my game the Baron has gone to take his wife to a healer somewhere. There's a note in his room that has started the Gwent Players quest.

OAquinas posted:

If you need a Good Card, play the Oxenfurt innkeeper--he gives a hero medic (yenn! :3: ) that can add a good amount of juice to your game.

That is the 20 spies/decoys guy I can't beat.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Here's how to play Gwent:

Step 1: See there's a quest or option to play Gwent
Step 2: Laugh and say No Thank You
Step 3: Continue playing the good parts of the game instead

Look at this wrong guy, wrongin' it up.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

mikeraskol posted:

Honestly beating the Baron is the hardest out of all the Gwent quest players. Once I got him I rolled through the rest of the Velen quest. Make sure you beat every inn keeper, blacksmith, and item vendor in Velen to get as many cards as possible. Visit every innkeeper to purchase cards, including innkeepers in Novigrad and Oxenfurt. Then put together a deck as Campbell described and its really hard to not win unless you just don't understand how to play the game. Baiting opponents into playing all their good poo poo and then throwing the round is one of the most important skills you can have as well.

Yeah, if you can always try to stall out the first round especially against Monster and Scoia'tel opponents. Play your spies, decoy and replay any spies the enemy plays. Then play a couple low-strength non-hero cards, especially if you drew a healer or two. At this point you should have a ton more cards than your enemy and can continue playing the round out or most of the time it's better to pass. Second round should be a cakewalk since they've played many of their good cards and you've lost next to nothing.

Generally don't play hero cards in the first round unless you're going to win it. You can't get them out of your discard with a Healer, once they're played that's it.

Once you start facing tougher opponents, they'll almost always have a Scorch or two and that can ruin you especially with Bonded units. I like to think of it as playing "Scorch chicken," you want to play your weaker cards first so you can't get sniped by Scorch. This isn't too complicated, just pay attention to what the highest strength units on the board and don't give them a juicy opportunity. For example if I have two Catapults, not a good idea to play them back to back as that 16 Bonded strength is almost sure to draw a Scorch and there you've lost both your Catapults. Instead, do something sneaky like play one Catapult and a horn on Siege (or better one of the 6-strength Trebuchets or something). Then play a healer and your second Catapult after they've Scorched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

In my game the Baron has gone to take his wife to a healer somewhere. There's a note in his room that has started the Gwent Players quest.

That's fine then, you got the quest and should still have gotten the card too. It's Djikstra, check your Northern Realms cards and if you don't have it go back to his room in the mansion and find it.

You need to do like I said and just get better cards. Beat every inn keeper, blacksmith, and item vendor in Velen. Buy all available cards from the innkeepers of Velen, Novigrad, and Oxenfurt. Then streamline your deck to keep it around 28ish cards with only the highest powered creatures, decoys, war horns, a scorch and the weather clearing card.