Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I never watched any of them other than the Brawl. I was going to watch Kickassia, but then I saw like 10 parts go up before I even watched the first one and said "... nah". The Brawl was a really fun video, but I ain't going to watch that for a couple hours or however long the whole thing ended up being. I don't even watch SyFy movies, and I'm not sure I want to know where the specials fall on the SyFy goodbadness to trainwreck spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Honestly I would liketo see a guy orgal tackle scyfy Asylum films and cherry pick the most enjoyable ones. Mega Pirahna for instance or whatever it's called was hilarious as all hell. Like the time where the MC bicycle kicked the super pirahna. Or when the giant pirahna the size of a small building crash into a warehouse.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
MikeJ used to have a series where he did that (Asylum Seeker) but he hasn't done an entry in a while.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

At least I can content with him and Film Brain's forays into Asylum. As an aside I still like Film Brain, I'm kind of sad that he prefers to make more projector videos than full video reviews.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Annointed posted:

At least I can content with him and Film Brain's forays into Asylum. As an aside I still like Film Brain, I'm kind of sad that he prefers to make more projector videos than full video reviews.

Same here, but it seems like he really needs to tighten up his videos. Some of them are over half an hour long. He usually has a lot of interesting stuff to say, but there is room for some judicious cutting.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
after copious amounts of trial and error, i've arrived to the following conclusion:

at4w - cheap chocolate
cinema snob - spicy potato chips
todd in the shadows - burgers & coke
phelous - sausage w/ mustard
obscurus lupa/movie nights, mikejtv, ashens, guru larry - anything goes
brows held high - any pasta will do
nostalgia chick/loose canon, redlettermedia - nothing
rantasmo - too short to get a good reading
nostalgia critic - gargle on human piss
anything videogame related - candy. empty calories all the way

post you're own findings, ITT

quakster fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 4, 2015

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, SFDebris just started his video essays on the history of comics, and I think it's pretty great so far. It seems to be looking at the development of the industry in the late 80s/early nineties, rather than an overall recap. But then I've been reading Marvel Comics: The Untold Story and just got to the point where this video's narrative focuses on (with Shooter trying to buy Marvel), so I guess I'm the target audience.

Makes you wonder (considering the slim margin that Shooter got outbid) what the industry would have looked like had he actually succeeded.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Linkara's retrospectives are actually pretty good, where he goes over a run of comics, gives the history and his thoughts. I really liked his videos on ROM the Spaceknight, and it made me want to read ROM (but Marvel can't reprint the issues because of rights disputes....). It's a shame he doesn't do more videos like that.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Linkara's educational overviews of comics are always better than him getting mad at something that's just bad. Though when there's something that's bad in a way that very personally offends him we usually get a mix of the two styles.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The Summer of Shakespeare continues.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Not entirely sure if Oan did it on purpose but saying "the caste system is hard to understand" with a picture of a pyramid onscreen was very good, I hope he's drowning in Patreon dollars.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

quakster posted:

after copious amounts of trial and error, i've arrived to the following conclusion:

at4w - cheap chocolate
cinema snob - spicy potato chips
todd in the shadows - burgers & coke
phelous - sausage w/ mustard
obscurus lupa/movie nights, mikejtv, ashens, guru larry - anything goes
brows held high - any pasta will do
nostalgia chick/loose canon, redlettermedia - nothing
rantasmo - too short to get a good reading
nostalgia critic - gargle on human piss
anything videogame related - candy. empty calories all the way

post you're own findings, ITT

Someone once compared me and Brad by saying that if he's a steak from a fine restaurant that makes me cold hospital peas. It was the second best insult I've ever received.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
snob's got some good jokes but that still seems a bit exaggerated

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He subjects himself to a much worse strain of cultural detritus to get those jokes too. It took his health. And his hair.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Jack Gladney posted:

He subjects himself to a much worse strain of cultural detritus to get those jokes too. It took his health. And his hair.

The movies Brad reviews are like a steak, in that most of the time an animal died in the production.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Miss Wallace posted:

Someone once compared me and Brad by saying that if he's a steak from a fine restaurant that makes me cold hospital peas. It was the second best insult I've ever received.

It's always nice when people take time to come up with a good insult.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
That reminds me of Heebie-GBS vs Infratael.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Miss Wallace posted:

I don't know... have you ever seen hospital food?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Miss Wallace posted:

People compare you to Brad a lot, and I don't see it. The movies you review and the sense of humor you have are pretty different.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Eh, most internet reviewer types get compared to Brad, it's this weird thing. I think schlocky reviewer types get it the most just because people don't understand that not all bad movies = exploitation, or really what exploitation is.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

I'm pretty sure the Springfield State Fair has had a more adverse effect on Brad's health and longevity than any given exploitation flick he's ever watched :v:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm pretty sure the Springfield State Fair has had a more adverse effect on Brad's health and longevity than any given exploitation flick he's ever watched :v:

Surely they must be some sort of conversion rate between Fried Twinkies and Cannibal Holocaust.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

quakster posted:

Not entirely sure if Oan did it on purpose but saying "the caste system is hard to understand" with a picture of a pyramid onscreen was very good, I hope he's drowning in Patreon dollars.

That's the very, very basic layout of the caste system. There are also sub-castes and half-castes (like the title character in Omkara) and some castes who receive government protection and some who don't and some who are subject to violence and there's a whole layer added since after independence in 1947 the government tried to get rid of the system so now you have a nation of one billion people both subconsciously perpetuating and consciously denying the caste system and...

...it's complicated, and that graphic was a really last minute thing because I had been sitting on this drat episode for a month waiting for a new computer to arrive.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well, it actually is a really, really long lived pyramid scheme that's shaped the lives of millions of people, so it's appropriate anyway.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
More Tequila and Bonetti: http://www.thecinemasnob.com/dvd-r-hell/dvd-r-hell-tequila-and-bonetti-the-rose-cadillac

It's great.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

That may just be my favorite series Brad had done. Tequila and Bonetti is so great. I recommend watching the actual show; it's hilarious.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I still can't get over the fact that Terry Funk is in it. It's about as jarring to learn about as his 80s album where he sings about Barbra's Streisand's nose in one of the songs. The more I learn about Funk, the more and more fascinating he gets.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I know this is kind of random. I know that this thread while not full of extremists, for the most part don't like the blanket "truth is in the middle" term. It got me thinking, are there any videos where the reviewer explains why that line of thinking has flaws?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Annointed posted:

I know this is kind of random. I know that this thread while not full of extremists, for the most part don't like the blanket "truth is in the middle" term. It got me thinking, are there any videos where the reviewer explains why that line of thinking has flaws?

I don't think there is someone who reviews informal fallacies, and if so, they are probably obnoxious and terrible.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I don't think there is someone who reviews informal fallacies, and if so, they are probably obnoxious and terrible.

Sorry I also meant situations where the reviewer sees a claim for middle ground in a piece of media where it doesn't work and explains why it doesn't work there.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

It's a fallacy because it's making a decision based on the imaginary prospect of a middle between two opposed decisions, rather than looking at the problem on your own and making a decision based on your observations. Taking a middle option is not inherently a fallacy, but presupposing that the middle option is correct by virtue of its middle-ness is a fallacy. It does not mean "compromises are fallacies" as many goons like to think.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I prefer to take a neutral and unbiased as possible stance in most arguments to try and understand the viewpoints of every side.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I prefer to take a neutral and unbiased as possible stance in most arguments to try and understand the viewpoints of every side.

Literally everyone thinks they do this.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DStecks posted:

Literally everyone thinks they do this.

And that they're an above-average driver

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I know I am a few pages back but I love the new and improve game overthinker. bob can be annoying at times but I feel he is more mature then he was a few years back. I feel the shity year for everyone made him grow up a bit.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

It's the Cinema Snob's 300th episode!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Cyron posted:

I know I am a few pages back but I love the new and improve game overthinker. bob can be annoying at times but I feel he is more mature then he was a few years back. I feel the shity year for everyone made him grow up a bit.

I kinda agree. He's gotten less awful. Now he's just kind of "meh" rather than offensive.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Doesn't Bob have a plan to do an All Skits overthinker spin-off?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wow. He picked a doozy. Well, it was either that or Ishtar, and, well...

Three two three four, four two three four...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

DStecks posted:

It's a fallacy because it's making a decision based on the imaginary prospect of a middle between two opposed decisions, rather than looking at the problem on your own and making a decision based on your observations. Taking a middle option is not inherently a fallacy, but presupposing that the middle option is correct by virtue of its middle-ness is a fallacy. It does not mean "compromises are fallacies" as many goons like to think.

It also fails because it assumes two rational arguments, one on each side. Sometimes, there is only one rational argument on a certain issue.

• Locked thread