Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Androids should have been invulnerable to brainsucking though gently caress that

Androids are basically immune to brainsuckers. The headcrabs ignore them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Drifter posted:

Oh god, I forgot about the two turn movement thing. Yeah, you're absolutely right. But I think that's part of the environmental challenge to the game, no? Sacrifice between free movement and safety and et cetera.

They've mentioned something about waypoints, and I'm pretty sure this is what that's referring to.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ShineDog posted:

Nah, it does depend on distance, mainly because if you don't roll a perfect shot the bullet will scatter, and when it scatters, being closer means you're more likely to score the hit. (sometimes even a roll that should definately hit can miss, I believe, because of wonky projectile math)

Being closer does mean you have a better margin of error, but the actual percentage on the random roll to hit doesn't change with distance.

One of the biggest ways to improve my X-Com game was pulling Squad Sight-esque shots with any two operatives, all the time.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Roobanguy posted:

if they made it so you could set overwatch orders, like "soldier 1 shoots at sectoid, if not killed soldier 2 shoots at sectoid" that would also be cool.

Yeah, they might add Snap Shot like from the old games AND Overwatch, and have them do different things. Snap shot is reflexive fire, overwatch is camping.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

gradenko_2000 posted:

One of the biggest ways to improve my X-Com game was pulling Squad Sight-esque shots with any two operatives, all the time.
This is referred to as 'scout-sniper tactics' by the kind and 'hey rookie thanks for spotting for us you dumb rear end in a top hat' by everyone else.

It's one of the multiple ways the 'amazing' system in 1994 X-COM actually sucked a lot because there were only a couple of situations under which your favorite mans were ever under threat. Most of the time they would just hang out by the skyranger and use their ridiculous accuracy to blast guys from clear across the map.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wales Grey posted:

Apocalypse had a ton of great concepts and the different soldier types were a big part of it. Androids have hella stats and can really carry you through the early game. Late game however your lovely human and hybrid troops have finally statted up and surpassed them, you don't want to lean too heavily on your androids either exactly because they fall off in the late game so you're rewarded for training up your biologicals.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Drifter posted:

Oh god, I forgot about the two turn movement thing. Yeah, you're absolutely right. But I think that's part of the environmental challenge to the game, no? Sacrifice between free movement and safety and et cetera.

No, no, no. There's a difference between needing two turns to go where you need safely, and needing two turns because even though you'd have enough AP to do it in one, the game engine doesn't allow you to change the path so you have make your move in two turns.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
i like the way both the original games and the newer ones look because they're all hella goofy in their own way

:shrug:

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Ernie Muppari posted:

i like the way both the original games and the newer ones look because they're all hella goofy in their own way

This is a reasonable and valid opinion and thus has no place in this thread.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mad Pills posted:

Aliens looked like something you would find in a box of cornflakes though.

The detailed pictures are even "better".

Vile otherworldly aliens that resemble guys in cheap rubber suits. Grrr.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Wales Grey posted:

There is a hilarious bug where brain crabs walk off roofs and catwalks and land on android heads, and anything that gets landed on gets their brain sucked, including aliens and androids

Apocalypse bugs owned

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Internet Kraken posted:

This is the first thing that has made me want to play Apocalypse, goddamn

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Internet Kraken posted:

More like cheap plaster suits without the guys inside, given the oddly placed holes and weird corrugation-veins.

Still better-designed than a lot of alien models I've seen from the era, I approve.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Internet Kraken posted:

a modern apocalypse where they just went straight up 70s tokusatsu with the aesthetics would be amazing

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Drifter posted:

The two move thing I didn't mind, like, being able to see whats there and double back in a single "move" would completely change the game, what I mean is that I want to say "go round THIS side of the van in your move, not the side that gets you blasted"

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 4, 2015

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Ernie Muppari posted:

Next thing you know you'll be claiming you don't unironically love snake tits! :getout:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Next thing you know you'll be claiming you don't unironically love snake tits! :getout:

I unironically masturbate my penis, to climax, over snake tits

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kennel posted:

Wild West mod :woop:

The game even comes with a cowboy hat! Some intrepid modder should really make it happen.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Lord Lambeth posted:

That and letting you customize the path would be great. Trained soldiers should be smart enough to avoid the obviously toxic cloud that Thin Men create.
They've confirmed that you can set waypoints even within each half-turn move you make, because they want enough fine control to path soldiers around (not through) the checkpoint scanners and the like. So yeah, no more running through poison mist unless you're an idiot.

I can't believe that "NEW XCOM IS BDU poo poo" discussion even got off the ground

Did the American military start fielding power rangers and I just missed it

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Notorious QIG posted:

same

e: but, uh, my penis, instead

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Notorious QIG posted:

i know ur just saying what everyone else is thinking but i dont think thats an appropriate thing to say in the polite company of this thread.....

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Notorious QIG posted:

we all do this

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

i dont think forums user "literal nazi furry" is being ironic about snake tits

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Androids should have been invulnerable to brainsucking though gently caress that

Androids were invulnerable to brainsucking. It was one of their major draws. :colbert:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Gaghskull posted:

Androids were invulnerable to brainsucking. It was one of their major draws. :colbert:
Keep all androids away from catwalks and cliffs

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is there an agreed upon best starting nation for Xcom:EW? Its been so long since I played it I can't remember which starting bonus is the best.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Internet Kraken posted:

So is there an agreed upon best starting nation for Xcom:EW? Its been so long since I played it I can't remember which starting bonus is the best.

If memory serves it was NA or Africa for starting cash or first paycheck cash respectively. The others lack of assistance in satellite rushing makes them inferior.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Africa's bonus is best in the long term, but North America's is better in the short term, and homing in the USA gives you the most starting money (and the start is when you need money most).

If in doubt, :patriot:

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
I've always considered Asia to be the best start for impossible. Sat rush doesn't work to well for me on that difficulty, I'd rather take the reduced cost for upgrades.

Edit - Assuming you are playing non modded Xcom: EW

fargom fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 4, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

if it's long war pick america

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Y'know, my dream game would probably be to take XCOM or XCOM 2's combat system and put it in a fantasy setting--potentially based off of D&D 4e because of the similarities--and replace the strategic layer/game concept with building up a fighter's/adventurer's guild through undertaking procedurally generated missions in a procedurally generated story arc.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

BenRGamer posted:

Y'know, my dream game would probably be to take XCOM or XCOM 2's combat system and put it in a fantasy setting--potentially based off of D&D 4e because of the similarities--and replace the strategic layer/game concept with building up a fighter's/adventurer's guild through undertaking procedurally generated missions in a procedurally generated story arc.

So a turn based version of Darklands?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

my dream is xcom's combat system in a lot of video games

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

fargom posted:

I've always considered Asia to be the best start for impossible. Sat rush doesn't work to well for me on that difficulty, I'd rather take the reduced cost for upgrades.

Edit - Assuming you are playing non modded Xcom: EW

There's a lot of wisdom in this if your play style favors the foundry heavily. Asia's got 4 countries so it's the hardest to cover.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

BenRGamer posted:

http://battlebrothersgame.com/features/

It's not really the XCOM system exactly, but it is turn-based with a fair bit of randomization and your guys die easily.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I beat the base game, my friend bought me EW which I haven't fiddled with, but I kind of want to get back in and try Long War since I'm hype for the new game. Aside from the basic FAQs in the OP, does anyone have some recommended things to watch or read to get a better grasp on the different meta for Long War?

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Coolguye posted:

There's a lot of wisdom in this if your play style favors the foundry heavily. Asia's got 4 countries so it's the hardest to cover.

Yeah having 4 countries is a big part of it. You can pretty much ignore panic in 3 of them once you have the bonus from starting. On Impossible the panic management becomes more of a problem than anything else for me.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Lassitude posted:

http://battlebrothersgame.com/features/

It's not really the XCOM system exactly, but it is turn-based with a fair bit of randomization and your guys die easily.

This looks awful, sorry

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Gaghskull posted:

i don't know if it was a bug but i know for a fact i had some get sucked and was enraged. I always staffed my second base with androids because they usually have decent stats and since they cant train or get stat increases i wouldn't have to build training facilities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hopeford posted:

I think they mentioned it was a retrofitted UFO they captured early in the first war and those things are pretty hard to detect. So I imagine that lacking funding to maintain the original underground base running they mounted one ridiculous final attack on a landed battleship, traded a large number of soldiers(since they weren't equipped properly) for the ship then went all-in on converting it into a mobile base, then started from there. Even technologically outmatched I could see them still taking down a battleship if they invested all their resources into it, especially if the aliens weren't expecting XCOM to go crazy on a mission like that.
"What if... what if we sent seven soldiers?"
e: "...maybe even eight."

• Locked thread